Previous   Next

How much money would it have taken to motivate you to graduate high school early?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 West 23rd St. on March 2, 2011

Browse the archives

“Five grand.”

“Back when I was in high school, $3,000 would have been enough.”

“I guess $3,000 would do it nicely.”

“I’d rather have a scholarship that would last a while instead of having it all in one go. A percentage of tuition waived would be a great motivator.”

Comments

none2 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe while we are wanting kids to leave school at a younger age to save a few dollars, we can give them coupons to get a free marriage license (with a cheap upgrade to a covenant marriage), coupons for diapers and baby forumla, and give them a map of where they can find the nearest welfare office as well as the places in town that they might find gently-used mobile homes.

thuja 3 years, 1 month ago

No, Brent, I don't have any weed.

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

Great...now I'm having flashbacks to my pervy French teacher in high school. And I need some brie.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Yup, and I'm cookin' up a fat stack o' them thin little pancakes for dinner.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

R_I, did you see that? Hollis be talkin frenchy and I think someone is smitten.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I always dug The Cars. I miss Ben Orr, though.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm not going to the Coachella Festival this year. The lineup is pretty boring. Well, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Jack's Mannequin. They always sound desperate, like Better Than Ezra.

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

I graduated at early semesters in 1969 and took straight off for KU. I was at KU in spring, 1970. I got a letter from the school district saying that I could not attend prom nor graduation. I remember reading it one spring day while sitting in front of Strong Hall and thinking that it was one hilarious letter.

Ceallach 3 years, 1 month ago

Just the usual, visiting my fans around the world. Either that or I have been caught up in the rut of working, eating, sleeping, working, eating, sleeping...

As I was readying the posts today I had to chime in. You know we just love it when you talk dirty.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Ceallach!!!!!!!
Hey, where you been?

Ceallach 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm so old that I was motivated by the presence of my mother. If I didn't graduate I faced the horror of waking up every morning and facing the day knowing I would be living out the old phrase, "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody going to be happy."

Thank you, Mother.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

True. The uvula is that punching bag thingy in the back of the throat. Suze-anne should have hers removed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwgbc...

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

NFL strike? Cool. I think they should all be on strike for like seven months. Cause no one friggin cares until the pre season is over anyway.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Dammit Hollis, Get you anatomy straight. That is her uvula not vulva, Jenny McCarthy shows the latter, the CNN chick shows the former.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

And Whit, I don't mind if you remove my comments. I will have to threaten someone if they mess with you. Just like I stick up for the Boys. Either way, I'm still smitten with you. Vous avez percé mon coeur. Now, take a break from Minesweeper and look up what that means:)

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't need school. I learn everything from CNN. Quackduckee won't leave libya, and there's gonna be an NFL strike. I learned all that from watching Suze-anne's Vulva on CNN. Is she on Jersey Shore, like John Boner(n.-a blunder)? She's not very smart, but she dresses kinda sexy sometimes.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

wmathews (Whitney Mathews) replies… I emailed you about it.

Well, you didn't email me. And now I'm really, really hurt. For a while now, you have been my shorty, my bubbie. But it's okay. There's something about a broken heart that feels sooo good. You are still The Beautiful One. And I think it's true that you only hurt the ones you love.........

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

One weekend with Charlie Sheen (all expenses included though) would be enough of a bribe for me.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

I would have paid to get out of High School early. High School sucked.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

Nobody could graduate early. There would not be enough kids bringing buckets of coal for the stove.

Talking to an old farmer in western Kansas about the one room schoolhouse on his property. He said, 'I went to school there till the eight grade when dad needed me on the farm. I park my combine in it now.'

Fossick 3 years, 1 month ago

Anyone who can pass the GED test should be able to test out of high school at any time. We could then give them a check for half of what it would cost the state for the rest of their high school career. Not only does the state save money, but I'll bet you never saw so many 10th graders studying in your life.

brngbckwoo 3 years, 1 month ago

I petitioned to graduate a year early, and Dr. NO at Free State said... no. I still do not understand why...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

I had enough credits, but I still had to attend gym class to be considered enrolled and able to compete on the schools rifle team.

CWGOKU 3 years, 1 month ago

None. I did anyway. Someone get Sputum a bran muffin

g_rock 3 years, 1 month ago

They should have paid some folks to stay in school, not leave before they are ready. Seriously though, that period in life is to be enjoyed. Don't cut yourself short on those activities, games, teams, dances, locker room pranks, parking lot antics and school lunches.

I miss school lunch. Deciding what to eat every day is too hard. I liked the trays and going thru the line with slop being loaded on.

You know what else I liked about high school? The debate team. Shocker that I was a geek, I know.

And...driving my 1972 royal blue VW Bug.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey, turn up the radio, pour a nice big glass of the brown and lean back and put your feet up on the desk. And tell them all to go to hell; at least for a day.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

03 - Mar - 1982 Jessica Biel 03 - Mar - 1962 Jackie Joyner-Kersee 03 - Mar - 1962 Herschel Walker 03 - Mar - 1959 Ira Glass 03 - Mar - 1923 Doc Watson 03 - Mar - 1920 James Doohan 03 - Mar - 1911 Jean Harlow 03 - Mar - 1847 Alexander Graham Bell 1975 - Albert Fields, Gary Indiana, rocker (Party-Rodeo, That's Why) 1975 - Danica McKellar, actress (Winnie Cooper-Wonder Years) [or Jan 3] 1975 - David Faustino, CA, actor (I Had 3 Wives, Bud-Married With Children)

A bunch of cool people born today.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, more power to him. Isn't she an Aussie? He can have all he wants.

prospector 3 years, 1 month ago

What's the hurry?

Just that you learned threading sucks, go forth and party dude.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

Jebus. Sean Penn is banging Scarlett Johanson.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

Um, Bob, I think that was The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. I saw a commercial for a cheap hearing aid the other night.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 1 month ago

The Night G.G. Allin Came to Town. First song up on the Pandora this morning. Today is going to be a good day.

Tammy Copp-Barta 3 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to graduate from LHS early, but was told if I did, I couldn't go to prom and I couldn't participate in the graduation ceremony .. which was STUPID .. of course, that was many years ago .. things have probably changed since then ..

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I was more into flicking the ears of the guy in the desk in front of me. This one guy, Dwayne, I think, with coke bottle glasses, would get totally pissed off and throw an elbow at me. He always missed. I did see a good snuggie once where this dude actually lifted a kid off the floor. Rrripppp! The waistband completely tore off. Then there were the prank phone calls. I was the king of that nonsense.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Me and a couple of my pals picked and bulled guys like sputums in high school. To this day we still get together and have few and we can't help but laugh uncontrollably. We still sneak up behind the nerds and give them wedgees and wet willies.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

I would agree with Autie. The vigorish, the vig, the grease, the juice, would factor in pretty heavily.

HollisBrown 3 years, 1 month ago

How the hell would I know? I dropped out in 7th grade. But I are egjakated. I done gadjiated form KU in 1987. I would have paid to go to HS just so I could bully sputum a little.

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

I had enough credits that I could have graduated early, but I chose not to because I wanted to stay with my class. Money would not have made a difference because college was already paid for by the VA. I also earned a few scholarships that gave me extra money.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

(snort, gag, hehehe) gratuate he sed gratuate wel i gess ole cuzin elroy did pas grad for but he wuz teh roeds skoller in teh famblie how much wood thet be wurth mabee too or 3 buks inflashun bein whut it is yuo kin jest sent teh chek to ole roe

sputum 3 years, 1 month ago

zero..............I finished early because it was such a bunch of baby B.S. that I wanted out so I could move on with my life. High School is for moron jocks that need to be coddled and spoon fed. Anyone who is intelligent and can think for themself gets out of that baby game as fast as possible. When I see jocks that I went to school with I can't help but laugh uncontrollably.

autie 3 years, 1 month ago

Now that would have depended on how much Pop was willing to spend...wouldn't it? But then again that payment (grease) would have been to the high school...not me, so no one really cared.

cletus26 3 years, 1 month ago

$275.53. and i'd liked that in little bills!