Previous   Next

Do you enjoy golfing?

Asked at Target, 3201 Iowa St. on March 1, 2011

Browse the archives

“I enjoy free (driving) ranges. I enjoy whacking the ball.”

“Yeah, I enjoy the driving around. I’ve enjoyed it the two times I’ve gone.”

“Yes I do. I enjoy being outside and I like walking the course.”

“I’ve never been but I think I would enjoy it.”

Comments

labmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago

The only way to play is to drink a beer per hole.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I grew up with the game. My first job was picking up balls on a driving range. I was my dad's caddy when he competed in tournaments. I was the captain of my high school golf team. I taught my first wife to play. My second made me give up the game and give away my clubs. I haven't been on a course since. Oh, the things we do for love.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

Demolitionist when asked "aren' t you scared of such a dangerous job? answer- better than dying drunk on a golf course hit by lightening.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Golf; Imported from China http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/chinese-invented-golf-1000-years-ago-522596.html "The Dutch talk of a 13th-century sport called "colf"; the French say they first had the idea with "palle-mail" in the 1400s; but it is the Scots who have been most widely credited with having invented the game of golf. Another country laid claim to the game. According to Professor Ling Hongling of Lanzhou University, the Chinese were playing golf 1,000 years ago. He says he has found a reference to a game called chuiwan - chui meaning to hit and wan meaning ball. Players used 10 clubs, including a cuanbang (equivalent to a driver today) and a shaobang (a three wood or spoon). Royalty inlaid their clubs with jade, edged them with gold and decorated the shafts elaborately."

SinoHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Better be careful, the Chinese try to take credit for inventing everything. Before you know it, they will claim credit for the US Bill of Rights and obesity...

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh yeah, chasing golf balls across the sand bar with the .22 can be great fun! Blowing the backs out of bowling pins with the .44 is good too, but those bad boys are tough. They'll take a lot of hits before the splinters start to fly. A 320gr. JHP loaded to around 1260fps will send 'em flyin' though . . .

irvan moore 3 years, 9 months ago

"golf is a good walk ruined", one of the all time great quotes.

Richard Payton 3 years, 9 months ago

The style scout just doesn't let me wear knickers.

gphawk89 3 years, 9 months ago

Yep. Dad taught me how. Grew up playing on sand-greens courses. Can't putt on grass greens worth a darn. Anyone else here every play on sand greens?

Kirk Larson 3 years, 9 months ago

High Country Golf Course in Red Feather CO. Big rocks for your drive to bounce wildly off of. Beyond the occasional game, I really have little respect for golf. Twain was right.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

The golf course that used to be at 31st & Iowa had sand greens. I remember driving into town one day to find the golf course gone and a K-Mart on that corner.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Hell, I worked for the Apco stations in Lawrence in '65/'66, gas was 24.9cents/gal. with gas wars at 19.9cents. Now, if a camel sneezes in Tripoli the price jumps up by more than that! ('Course, $3.50/hr was good wages back then, I was makin' $1.60)

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

The gas prices back then always went up on home football game weekends to soak the Johnson County fans. They would return to normal on Monday.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Challenge Accepted!!! Boneboy is bluffing! Just got off the phone with Kansas Fish and Game, no such law in place except for upland bird and certain locations. Talked to office at Clinton Lake and Pratt Kansas. Got a little chuckle when told it was a kayaker whining.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh, boneboy. "Now goodbye-Don't waste yours or my time."

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Great quote; "I am not fightin with anybody over nothing on this sigt-Just not worth talking with people who do not know the public water rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

sum cuzins jest dont kno whin too not taukboutit

Is that a knife or are you just glad to see me? 8-[

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Always seems the non-hunter would have you believe he knows allboutit

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Not easy getting in. Especially for threaders.

(Oh CR@P! I did it again!)

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Nobody likes to play golf. Nobody. The other golfers hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you play because your father wants you to. Then you play to get the girls. If you keep on playing, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you play for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the matches, and that's fun. But nobody likes to play golf. Nobody.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Just served up another order of chikken-in-a-bote

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Kinda what I was thinkin'. nt gets disapearededed last week, bonyboy shows up today . . . looks fer al teh wurld liek they both had the saem spellin teecher

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 9 months ago

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

I once witnessed a guy shoot 48 of 50 golf balls tossed in the air. That doesn't look so hard, I said. After missing 10 out of 10 I saw it differently . . .

I ♥ the ♣

(But in a very straight, masculine way)

(not that there's anything wro . . . oh, never mind.)

Judgesmails 3 years, 9 months ago

Golf? Im no slouch myself!

remember, golf aint for everyone. if you suck stay on the driving range

thanks Smails

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

" I go out to the golf course with my friends. I don't golf. I treat it like clay practice. They tee-off and I start shooting. When they shout "Fore!" you shout "Pull!"?

wmathews 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's make this perfectly clear: Threatening users with violence either publicly in our comment threads or via private message is absolutely not allowed. Your account, and any future accounts you try to register, will be banned immediately.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

That's okay Whitney, I agree with your policy. I have them saved, if needed.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

whew! for a second there I thought you were gonna talk bout phishing. nobody around here would do that.

would they?

;-)

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em?

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Anybody else thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Neighbor just called, asked why there was a red strobe on at the bunker . . . Told him it was a "need to know" thing. 2:00PM came and went, then 3:00. Standing down to orange . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Tomorrows OTS; Do you enjoy croquet?

There will be blood . . .

;-)