Previous   Next

Do you recycle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“I recycle when it’s more convenient for me. I know I should do it all the time because it’s great for the environment.”

“I’m ashamed to say that I don’t recycle currently … but when I am staying with someone that does, I don’t throw my recyclables in the trash.”

“Yes, go green because it’s really good to recycle and save the planet.”

“Yes, we do recycle because we want to save our planet, and the world is becoming a big mess.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

faceit (anonymous) says… "Selfish cowards!!! You put yourselves and those around you at unnecessary risk. You guys try so hard to be funny and clever and your responses are pathetically stupid."

When I get sick with the flu Tommy the Basement Cat always cleans up after I regurgitate on the floor. Is that kinda like recycling?

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah Roe it counts, I can count on my dog Buddy, he is the epitome of recycling. Others prefer to scoop the liter box. So I get a double for energy reduction.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I try to be as green as possible. But not for environmental issues. But for geopolitical reasons. Which can be very similar. The environment will be fine.

kansasmutt 4 years, 7 months ago

Kinda funny that to recycle you save all the cans, metal and batteries up. You then take them to 12th street in Lawrence and get $12.00 for your time. You spend $15.00 on gas to do this. The time and fuel to recycle make a larger carbon footprint than if you threw the crap in the trash. I no longer waste the energy , time and fuel to recycle. Another scam is going green in your home. I went to energy compliant appliances and those high dollar compact florecent bulbs and now i have cut back my energy usage more than 70%, but Westar has now raised rates so FN much, my bill has now doubled in 18 months. What a crock of sh@t .Westsar has lost usage, so they raised the rates to make the shareholders happy and make money and the best profits in 24 years.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

You spend $15 in gas to go to 12th street in Lawrence? Do you live in Missouri, or Nebraska?

Or do you just need a new car?

boltzmann 4 years, 7 months ago

Reminds me of an old joke..

A Texan and an Oklahoman meet in a bar.

Texan: Howdy! Where ya' from, pardner?

Oklahoman: Oklahoma

Texan: Well, son, you should come to visit me some time. My ranch is so big it takes me a whole day to drive across it in my car.

Oklahoman: I had a car like that once.

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah we got a whole lotta incentivizing going on

LogicMan 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, and this year were adding a bin for worn-out politicians. The Moores are the first to go in it.

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Newspapers go to the dumpster at the kids school, outgrown clothing goes to Good will, Wal_Mart gets whatever it will take so I guess the answer is yes, a little.

deec 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes. Compost the kitchen waste, and the rest goes to the weekly city-sponsored recycling pick-up. Too bad they don't accept glass, though..

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

The WalMart in South Lawrence does and you no longer need to sort the different colors of glass.

notajayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

My vehicle doesn't get great mileage either. But then, I bought it used, so it's recycled.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 7 months ago

Nope-- wait a minute..... yep, I drink out of the old pickle jars.

schula 4 years, 7 months ago

I recycle my newspapers and plastic bottles

Don't you think this question should have been asked at The Merc?

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

I used to recycle, but I didn't notice the environment improving, so I quit.

notajayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Do I recycle? I don't think so, pretty sure I'm still the original me.

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

I do the cans for Christ thing. Deduct the value of aluminum @ $0.26/lb. plus mileage @ $0.55/mi and take charitable contribution deduction on Fed income tax. Round trip to Joplin 'bout 326 miles - buy cheap MO beer on the way home for entertaining the cousins er, I mean customers but then that's another IRS form, for another forum...

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

There are many ways to recycle:

Take stuff to Social Service League on Rhode Island

Buy used goods from antique stores

Buy used goods from used furniture stores

Buy used bicycles

Buy used health training equipment

Shop yard sales or have a yard sale

or:

Curbside Recycling Services

These businesses provide the Lawrence community with a valuable service.

Community Living Opportunities (785) 840-9278

Home Recycling Service (785) 979-6633

Jeff's Curbside Recycling (785) 841-1284 (785) 865-6089 cell

Sunflower Curbside Recycling (785) 550-8610

Tree Hugger Recycling (785) 550-6267

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

I, . . er we, . . recycle the same old cut 'n pastes . . .

;-)

Stephen Roberts 4 years, 7 months ago

Merrill recycles alot. Look at his posts. he keeps recycling them again, again, again, again, agian, agian, again, again, again etc etec etc

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

I did just get my stillsuit in the mail the other day.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

After only 6 months in Lawrence, Deffenbaugh is already raising their rates.

roadrunner 4 years, 7 months ago

"LadyJ (anonymous) says… After only 6 months in Lawrence, Deffenbaugh is already raising their rates." Hmmm.. I use Deffenbaugh and I have not seen a rate increase. Maybe I live on the wrong side of town????

gphawk89 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but only because it's easy and free. The city provided every residence with a curbside single-stream recycling bin. If it had to sort things, or if I had to pay to do it, or if I had to drive somewhere, probably not.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

I recycle my flat beer into the chili pot.

geoismeo 4 years, 7 months ago

Nope. I paid for it and can do whatever I want with it.