Previous   Next

Do you take vitamins regularly?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on June 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do. I just feel like it’s healthier for you and nowadays with a lot of chemicals that they have on different foods, you are not getting that kind of nutrition from the foods.”

“No, but I give them every day at work to people.”

“I do take vitamins every day because I don’t eat right.”

“Yes, for my diabetes.”

Comments

trinity 5 years, 6 months ago

i take a multi vitamin every day. a store brand, at that. plus try really hard to eat well...seems to be working! :)

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Sorry Marc, not recommended.........

(HealthCastle.com) Vitamin supplementation is really popular these days, leaving many people with diabetes unsure of whether or not they should add vitamins or dietary supplements to their meals. Neither the American Diabetes Association nor the American Dietetic Association advocate the use of vitamin supplements if a person with diabetes has a healthy, varied diet. Both organizations support using food as a source of vitamins instead of adding supplements (i.e. pills) to your diet. They especially warn against using mega-doses of vitamins or supplements, which could potentially cause adverse side effects.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

RoeDapple 5 years, 6 months ago

Most old farmers I know (80 and up) don't eat what we think of as 'health foods',don't smoke or drink. They like bacon burnt to a crisp, greasy fried eggs, toast with real butter dripping from it. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, the list goes on and on. Fried, anything fried. They breathe dust stirred up by any number of different kinds of farming equipment, yet after all this they seem to live long lives except for the occasional machinery mishap. Could it be the manual labor has more to do with longevity than most other factors?

camper 5 years, 6 months ago

I heard a pharmacist one time where I was working that you should never really take an excess of vitamins because your body is not used to metabolizing such high concentrations. The best thing to do, he said, was to eat a varied diet. But he did mention water soluble vitamins like B & C are ok because your body flushes out what it does not process.

ms_canada 5 years, 6 months ago

I do believe that beer, ale and stout have good nutritional value. I don't drink these beverages but I do wonder about the value of white wine, Riesling variety especially.

ms_canada 5 years, 6 months ago

What else would a good person of German extraction drink.

lmn 5 years, 6 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… Any one having a feeling of deju vu about this question? Roe, I do not eat a healthy varied diet and have no intention of doing so. I eat mostly soy meat sandwiches you can heat up in the microwave, pb and j, and cereal, and snacks.

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… (on another thread) The buildings down Walmart way have the advantage of being next door to shopping, not only Walmart but the stores across the street. They are not far from Five Guys, America's best burger place.

How does Ms. Swearingen know that Five Guys is the best burger place? Obviously, to make this assertion, she must have tried a Five Guys burger. It seems the uppity vegan has a taste for dead cow. Awesome.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey, I only went to Five Guys because my main guy the President went. I love the way people only remember what I say or write when they want to take me down a peg. I did write mostly. Uppity vegan? Roe those farmers are happy, very, very happy.

lmn 5 years, 6 months ago

Yep. I said uppity. Remember that time you wrote a blog about being a vegan and then told someone to go to hell? Uppity.

How was that burger? Mmmm....butchered, bloody cow.

lmn 5 years, 6 months ago

Irish - you make me ashamed that I voted for Obama (and I like the guy). You really shouldn't base your life around worshipping Obama, Michelle or any public figure. At the end of the day, he and she wipes their butts just like we all do. It's one thing to be supportive of him, but a completely different beast to obsess over him. Heck, it's probably unhealthy that I obsess over you obsessing over him. Seriously, though, I hope others who aren't Obama fans don't think we're all kooks based on your overly enthusiastic (I'm being kind) example.