Previous   Next

Do you watch the Super Bowl for the game or the commercials?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on January 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“(The) commercials, for a good laugh. I don’t really care who wins.”

“Always for the commercials because I don’t like football.”

“I watch it for the commercials because they’re the best ones of the year.”

“The game. I hope it’s always a good game. … I love football.”

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't generally watch the Super Bowl at all.

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

I might, however, watch the Puppy Bowl. I found that highly entertaining.

Mike Blur 6 years, 7 months ago

For the game. There's plenty of time during commercial breaks to review and act on prop bets.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 7 months ago

For the phone calls, "well what are you doing today" (sure sign they don't like to watch TV)

stacy yazzie 6 years, 7 months ago

I watch it for the game... GO CARDINALS... yet the Steelers have a good "D" but I sure hope its a good game. Commercials are fun to watch at times, but the game is where the interest is.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

I am boycotting the game this year, and will continue to do so until the NFL gets serious about cleaning it up. Every year you have a wardrobe malfunction or what looks like Prince masturbating behind a bedsheet, and GoDaddy adds with girls' straps breaking on their undersized tops... I'd rather do more than complain: I'm not watching. If another 20M Americans join me, the NFL might get a clue.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Depending on the teams, usually both. I will be rooting hard this year for the Cardinals as there are way too many Steelers fans around here that are getting too cocky.jonas - The puppy bowl is always entertaining! We enjoy it quite a bit.

hawklet21 6 years, 7 months ago

I've never watched the Super Bowl. Not even for the commercials.

Mary Darst 6 years, 7 months ago

bob, now, now on that women should not vote or drive.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Since I was 2 years old the last time my team was in it, I mostly watch for the commercials. "Watch" meaning doing lots of other things with the TV on and me (maybe) sauntering in when the hubby yells "Commercial!" Yeah, superbowl is just another excuse to eat things that are bad for us.

JoRight 6 years, 7 months ago

This may be the first year I lost all hope for the Chiefs before regular season play. Pretty much if they're out of the running, the NFL season is over in my eyes.Also, why sit through a game that you don't care about just to watch commercials? Youtube ftw!

flux 6 years, 7 months ago

He is going to play born in the U.S.A

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

"Biased Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality tests"Fixed that for you, R-I.

grammaddy 6 years, 7 months ago

I hate football but most in my family are rabid fans. I like to see the commercials though and it's a good time to get caught up on my needlework.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

I watch for everything but the halftime show. I like football and I like funny commercials, and there's plenty of football and a few funny commercials.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

I never have watched the game so don't know what all the fuss is about the commercials. But this year I will be watching it for the chili. Been invited to watch the game on a large screen TV and for a feed of his excellent, the very best chili ever. So can't pass that up. I just hope the game is not too boring. Ho hum!!!

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

TOB, you are waaaayyyyy out of line there! To even suggest that men should be allowed to bring their women to social events outside of family gatherings, let alone parties!!! is horrible! Shame on you! There might be children reading this!Prospector, nice memory. Yes, I am a Steelers fan from way, way back (pre-Bradshaw days). It was a childhood aesthetic decision, because I liked how they had their logo on only one side of their helmet. Winning in the '70s didn't hurt for sustained fandom, plus my brothers liked the Raiders. I've attended several Cardinals' games after they moved to town, but they were never able to win me over with their losing ways. Only since they built a new stadium have games sold out. It is pretty remarkable, however, to see the sudden interest in the local team rise up this past week -- car flags, bumper stickers, signs on businesses, lots of new looking t-shirts. It is difficult not to appreciate the sudden enthusiasm and it would be good for the local population, so it won't kill me if the Cardinals win it all, but I will still be rooting for the Steelers while watching the game. As they say, dance with the one who brought you. Go Steelers! - Go Cardinals! -- but Go Steelers!

Royals 6 years, 7 months ago

For both...but the best thing is that Spring Training is a only a few weeks away.

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

Haha! I finally found the picture for Internet Forum Behavior Calculus. Check it out, see if you see anybody you know!http://www.arinmorf.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/20040319h.jpg. . . some language in link

Mixolydian 6 years, 7 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says… I might, however, watch the Puppy Bowl. I found that highly entertaining.=============================Yes! On the Animal Planet channel. It's disturbingly addictive.

Ralph Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

Jonas, excellent find on the Internet Forum Calculus.***There's a game? I thought it was a show of commercials interspersed with random shots of football.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

multi - Be careful before betting anyone on the breeds on Puppy Bowl V. They already have the "starting lineup" listed on the Animal Planet website. LOL

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Not that I saw. Sorry, multi. There's a lot of cute ones on there, though. Especially the Weimeraner.

JKBagby 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh, Dear, Geez...Old Enough and BABBOY! Put on some hipster attire, buy a pack of American Spirit lights and brood negatively about any way other people like to have fun. It's entertainment for the love of Pete. And if people need a reason to drink beer and eat lots of chips, then why not let it be the Superbowl? Yeah, the NFl is commercialized and people are soooo stupid for falling into the over-sensationalizing and mass production of it all...and in the immortal words of Chris Farley "BLAH...BLAH...BLAH"

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

RI: Slightly better than astrological signs, I suppose. The root of the problem is the same, however.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

I like watching the commercials and half time show alright but I have super bowl parties for the food. Nothing like making a meal out of snack food! But when it comes to the actual game I'd be just as happy watching the puppy bowl so it doesn't matter to me.