Previous   Next

What is your favorite thing about Kansas?

Asked at Asked at New York School on January 26, 2009

Browse the archives

“My favorite thing about is Kansas is that it’s kind of old-fashioned.”

“My favorite thing about Kansas is that it’s a free state and has beautiful features.”

“I can’t really explain it, but I think about a lot of stuff.”

“My favorite thing about Kansas is I was born on the day it became a state, and it’s pretty historic.”

“My favorite thing about Kansas is that everyone knows each other and there’s beautiful sunsets every night.”

“My favorite thing about Kansas is that it’s beautiful year round.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

My favorite thing about kansas is my town and that I really feel like part of a great community. I also think that for being known as a "boring flat state" we really have a lot of beautiful scenery. I love taking long weekend trips to the Flint hills and other sites.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Sadly, at this point, virtually all of my favorite things about Kansas will be moving out of Kansas with me, whenever I move out of Kansas.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

the spring burn-offs in the flint hills. beautiful sight to behold.the flint hills in general. i think i will retire there. mmm, mmm. loves 'em.

Mary Darst 5 years, 10 months ago

I love the way the geography changes across state from north to south and east to west. The best is my hometown.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

love your answer charliejohnson. and py, just from my experience-i just don't see that the entire "rest of the state is a conservative and religious miasma." there's some really kick-butt awesome folks scattered all over the place.hey md, i want my casa to be right smack in the middle of a pretty good sized acreage that has wicked good fences&gates. then i won't have to worry 'bout nobody but the coyotes, lol. i think those lil' red balloons are pretty much all over the place, sheesh even in the county where i live there's enough to launch a whole gaggle of yard chair riding thrill seekers. ;)

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

K-pot... makes good rope, and clears your lungs. Not habit formingl

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

witchfinder, if you like the stories about Stull you should get a book called Haunted Kansas. It talks about various well-known "haunted" places in Kansas. Atchinson has some decent stories and they even have a ghost tour. I think it's an interesting book. It'd be fun to travel all over and check the places out. Especially since Stull is torn down. I'm still bummed about that. True or not, it was a fun local story to tell people.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

Kansas is just right on about everything. Although most of our loudest voices are the stupidest, most Kansans are moderates and like to mind their own business. Kansans are nice enough, but not too nice to be taken advantage of (like I have seen with several Nebraskans I know). Kansans are not mean, but we have just enough ahole in us that you don't want to push us. And Kansas is a "shining city on the hill," especially when compared to the black-hole of ignorance and all-around sthole that is Missouri.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

Believe it or not, the weather.I have lived in states that have had one or two seasons and that is boring. I like the fact that one day it could be 50 degress and the next 13 degrees. It just makes it so much more interesting.Plus, compared to some places I've lived, I just think the people here are more normal. They are just more down to earth.Dena

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

" like a hole between two appendages,waiting for an enema to cleanse itself."hawkperchedatriverfront ... I think you were the result of that enema.

rusty2 5 years, 10 months ago

i just love the weather.spring summertropical summerautumnwinterarctic winter 2 Xtra seasons!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

rusty2, you forgot...inexplicable winter reversal and, Elrond... not "adjacent" enough.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

... oh, and that kansas spelled sideways is ask san... Mr. Ask.

Boeing 5 years, 10 months ago

That it's a free state? What year is this...did I miss that Georgia or North Carolina or Tennessee still had slaves?

MissinLawrence 5 years, 10 months ago

Raider---Southbound on 35...come on!!! Westbound on I-70 is better, even though it takes faster to get through the state. Elrond got it right.Mulit- did you laugh when you saw that map? I know I did. Actually it kind of startled me when I saw that one lived along the route I run every morning.

acoupstick 5 years, 10 months ago

Rusty2, LOL!NCAA CHAMPIONS (!), The Phog, whitetails, some of the friendliest people around.

Doug Fisher 5 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence is pretty much the only favorite thing about Kansas that I like. You can have a mohawk or purple hair and people won't usually mess with you in Lawrence. But the town is slowly losing it's charm as it becomes a part of KC. Colorado is waaay better!