Previous   Next

Have you gotten used to using the roundabouts in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“There were roundabouts where I grew up, so I was already used to them. But I’ve noticed people here are still a little unsure about using them. I understand their frustration, but it’s kind of amusing to watch.”

“I have. I don’t mind them at all. They pretty much work the same way as a four-way stop, so I don’t have any problems with them.”

“I’m still not sure how to use them in certain situations. I just go when I have an opening.”

“Yeah, I really like them. You never really have to stop, just yield. I think it saves a lot of time.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, you use your signal to indicate when you want to exit the roundabout. It makes the roundabout more efficient.

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

Gootsie - It's just like a regular intersection that doesn't have any stop signs. If you are driving west and I'm driving south and we hit a roundabout at the same time I'm assuming that you're going to continue on to the west so I stop and wait only to have you turn and head north. Same thing is true if you are making a left hand turn. The cross traffic can't read your mind.That's how you use a turn signal at a roundabout.

Gootsie 5 years, 6 months ago

...roundabout.I still have Monty Python and the [roundabouts being a] Flying Circus. Knights. Roundtables.Mondays.....

Gootsie 5 years, 6 months ago

Please tell me how you can use your signals at a roundable?

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

What is there to "get used to" about a roundabout? You approach it and you drive around it or you turn. If you can't figure it out then you shouldn't be driving a vehicle. What drive me crazy is the drivers who don't use their turn signals at a roundabout.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I say just treat the round-about like double dutch jump roping..... wait for the right moment, jump in, go, and remember to get out before you get hit in the butt with the rope.

acg 5 years, 6 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says: Sarge -That question is above my pay gradeOne of the best responses I've read in a long time. Thanks for the belly laugh TOB.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Sarge -That question is above my pay grade.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

TOB, isn't it also important to know whether or not you want your rocket to explode at some point?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Rocket Science is easy. You only need to know 2 things...1) Pointy end up.2) Don't shoot into clouds.

conservativepunker 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh come ON, people!!! They ain't rocket science!!!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

The law may state that the vehicle on the left yields to the vehicle on the right at a four-way stop, but I'm pretty sure most drivers don't actually have that piece of information ingrained in their minds; in reality, most times there are two cars at a stop sign at the same time, there's brief confusion until somebody just hits the gas pedal. I just don't see the left yielding to right in everyday driving. So in theory, your objection to roundabouts is valid, but in reality, I don't think it's particularly relevant.

jplanet 5 years, 6 months ago

The roundabout at 19th and Barker was the worst in the mornings. I used to work in that area and traffic would be backed up from Mass. St. to east of the roundabout. The dumb people traveling west on 19th would just sit in the roundabout blocking all of the north south traffic.

Joe Hyde 5 years, 6 months ago

When vehicles arrive at the same time at intersections controlled by 4-way stop signs, the law states that the vehicle on the left must yield to the driver on the right. This is what everyone grows up doing at intersections; it is how we are trained, it is how we've been conditioned to drive. And this law -- this 4-way stop sign driving rule -- protects the public safety quite well.Roundabouts function exactly the opposite of 4-way stops. At a roundabout the driver on the right must yield to any vehicle approaching from the left. If the traffic is moving slowly enough for drivers to think through what they're supposed to do, sometimes this does not pose a problem. But after years of experiencing right of way priviledge over vehicles to your left (at 4-way stops), all it takes when entering a roundabout is for one driver to have an instant of forgetfulness. Then you have a collision. Maybe it won't be a true T-bone collision, but something pretty close to it.The hazard here is not associated so much with the intelligence or attitude of drivers. Rather, it stems from the brief instant of confusion that even a safety-conscious driver feels when a long-practiced conditioned reflex (from 4-way stops) suddenly becomes the WRONG thing to do...merely because of the roundabout intersection's design.I'd love to see every single one of them in Lawrence torn out.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

I love the roundabout at 19th and Barker. I used to live near there ages ago, and remember several wrecks. Now, I just get annoyed at those who don't understand how to use it, including the hubby. For the most part, people get it, I think.

acg 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I mean, it's driving around in a circle. It's certainly not rocket science.

BABBOY 5 years, 6 months ago

The ones in Topeka are much worse and at busier intersections by the way including one on Wanamaker up the road from a 5A highschool involing lots of these races a little after 3:00.

BABBOY 5 years, 6 months ago

Not a fan. Too many speed races as opposed to yielding. They were meant to avoid T-bone crashes when people ran stop signs or red lights. But, I think the confusion they cause with old drivers and the inability of young drivers to understand the concept yielding verses racing for space makes them a pain in the butt.

Gootsie 5 years, 6 months ago

KEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?ARTHUR: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?KEEPER: What? I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!BEDEMIR: How do know so much about swallows?ARTHUR: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king you know.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

RDS, roundabout derangement syndrome. It's a curse.

hujiko 5 years, 6 months ago

"I'm still not sure how to use them in certain situations. I just go when I have an opening."What 'situations' does she mean? Either you go because the roundabout is empty, or you don't and wait for it to clear up. It's this notion that people get that it's too complicated for them to operate that makes them apprehensive, and which angers me because it isn't that complicated or a maneuver.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

If it is good enough for Europe, then it is ... wait? Is that a delicious toasted buttery biscuit? Later, all.

carmie 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes, it is about time we got them here. When I was studying in England in the 70's they were popular even in the little town of Durham. It seems we are extremely behind the times but at least we have them.Drivers resistant to change are getting used to them. Lawrence could have visibility in mind when designing some as some are a joke but drivers are suppose to slow down. Hopefully more will be built as the traffic lights in Lawrence are a joke. If one travels the speed limit on 23 or 6th, one is forced to stop. If one speeds then green lights the entire route. It seems that scenario should be reversed as it is in many cities, NO wonder the nation makes fun of Kansas as backwards and out of sync.

EarthaKitt 5 years, 6 months ago

Thankfully it doesn't appear that Jessie was standing near Deana when she mentioned laughing at those who are confused.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone else think about the movie, National Lampoon's European Vacation when they use a round-about? Look kids, Big Ben! Maybe that's just me.........nevermind.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

If you treat the roundabouts like your own little personal autocross course, the other drivers get confused watching you drift around in circles, nitrogen filled tires smoking. It's kinda sorta fun. :)

To Sides 5 years, 6 months ago

If roundabouts are so great why aren't they downtown from 6th to 11th ? The roundabout at 19th & Barker is great for that intersection but if you're trying to cross 19th or get on 19th from Leonard, Delaware, Rhode Island or New Hampshire the steady stream of traffic makes the wait longer than without it. West Lawrence gets roundabouts, East Lawrence gets traffic control devices. If you don't think so look at 17th between Illinois and Indiana. Any of those things in West Lawrence?

aeroscout17 5 years, 6 months ago

Based upon my (unscientific) observations, at least half of the people haven't. I guess that is to be expected since a greater number don't understand what a yield or stop sign means.

Kyle Neuer 5 years, 6 months ago

They're great in the Winter.Especially if you're in the front-end realignment biz.

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

i think they are greata wonderful form of free entertianment i like to get up early sunday morningand see how many drunks and dopers piled up theircars trying to navigate them the center street islands also attractdrunks, dopers and idiots on cell phones

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

They're not. . . terribly difficult to navigate. Certainly no harder than a four-way stop.

tonythetiger 5 years, 6 months ago

I have but I still think they are a bad idea.

killjoy 5 years, 6 months ago

left turn / right turn, use your signalThey're still poorly built and used in the wrong places

average 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't imagine 19th and Barker any other way. Many others are good, but some are too small and low volume.

prospector 5 years, 6 months ago

The thrills, the spills! Coming to a road near you.I especially like the Clinton Parkway one with the high foliage. The mystery of what is coming around the corner is sheer excitement.