Previous   Next

What do you do when you can’t get in to see your doctor?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 21, 2008

Browse the archives

“It depends how urgent the need is, but I would try to see if they had someone else who could see me or could suggest somewhere else I could go.”

“Tough it out and look stuff up online to self-medicate.”

“I don’t have health insurance, so the doctor isn’t my first choice. I usually go to the Douglas County Health Department.”

“I go to First Med. It’s always easy to see someone there, and they’re always pretty helpful. If it’s serious, I’d go to the hospital. Otherwise I just try to stick it out.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

And then the witch doctor, he told me what to doHe said that ....Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tangWalla walla, bing bangOoo eee, ooo ah ah ting tangWalla walla, bing bang...Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tangWalla walla, bing bangOoo eee, ooo ah ah ting tangWalla walla, bing bang

dajudge 6 years, 10 months ago

I call Lifeflight and have them helicopter me to KU Med Center.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

"...You put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,Put the lime in the coconut, ( such a silly question! ),Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both together,Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better...."

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

The same thing that I do when I can get in to see my doctor, I stay home. I hate hospitals and doctors offices, and I won't go unless I'm really, really sick. Must be the legacy of having to have major back surgery at the advanced age of 13.

dminear60 6 years, 10 months ago

It depends on how sick I am but I usually go to the after hours clinic in the same building or to the clinic across the street that will take people on a first come first serve basis.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Jonas, I feel the same way. I didn't have major back surgery, but I did spend enough time around doctors and hospitals when I was young that I got tired of it. I'll go if absolutely necessary, but otherwise, no way.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion... you got a license to prescribe that medication? conservativepunker: "Home Surgery. Only way to fly.""This is Adam. He had an accident." ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPpjh-3Gr58

ihatelv 6 years, 10 months ago

People in Lawrence go to the Doctor?? I thought hippies were all about being dirty and unkempt?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

call up my friend who is a doc and ask her if she has her script pad handy.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 10 months ago

My doctor's office has a walk-in schedule daily from 11-5pm so if my doc is booked I can just walk in. Its great if its something that isnt life-threatening or my usual "change of seasons" cold/sinus infection. It beats being uncomfortable for a week.I go to Family Medical Associates (I think thats the name of it) and both times I was in and out within an hour. I used to go to First Med, which I reccomend as long as they arent busy. And Prompt Care offers a discount if you pay your entire bill on the date of service.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

if you're having trouble seeing the doc, I'm probably clogging up the system! I've had more medical care than fifteen typical americans my age! trouble getting in to see the doc: "Hi, doctor's receptionist""Hello, this is Dr. Pericles' office?""I'm gonna die.""okay, why don't you come right in before you do!"so, if you're having trouble getting in, just look for me!