Previous   Next

What did you learn from your grandparents?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on September 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“My grandma always used to say there’s nothing like family. So my family has always been tremendously important to me.”

“Hard work and honesty.”

“Mostly to always be kind to people.”

“My grandfather, who was also a contractor, told me if you screw up once and fix it, it’s OK; screw it up twice, you’re stupid. Kind of harsh, but it sure has it helped me out.”

Related story

Comments

bombshell 5 years, 7 months ago

On my mom's side: I learned a lot about foreign countries (mostly Europe) from my Gma... she always brought me back books/objects from the countries they visited (Egypt, Greece, France, Austria, etc) & because of her, I fell in love with Monet's art when I was in elementary schoolFrom my Gpa, I learned that inanimate objects can be used to replace curse words i.e,. "Oh Football!" and "Cheese & crackers, _((insert name of who's frustrating))_On my dad's side: I learned a lot about the KU Jayhawks & having Liberal viewpoints...I also learned from my Gpa that putting mayo on a grilled cheese will put hair on your chest ((which I graciously declined)) and that none of the grand kids will ever win the promised $100 if they can push/move the small boulder in front of their house although we still try...

macon47 5 years, 7 months ago

1/2 the children born to day are born out of wedlockmost grandparents are raising the grand kidsbecause their own childern are slugs

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

My maternal grandpa taught me that it's important to know your ancestors, where you are from. He had pictures of his ancestors all around the garage/rec room. My maternal grandmother taught me it's never too late to love your family, having found and met her younger half sister the year before she (my grandmother) died.

dminear60 5 years, 7 months ago

pace: what a lovely thing to say about your grandmother.

pace 5 years, 7 months ago

My grandmother taught me that loving people all your life will show in your face when you get old. She was beautiful.

spacehog 5 years, 7 months ago

People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent.-Bob Dylan

coolmom 5 years, 7 months ago

my maternal grandfather always said you should try everything once. my maternal grandmother followed him around saying "you are going to get that kid killed." my paternal grandfather said sip a little whisky for kids sore throats and i dont remember my maternal grandmother.

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

My grandma showed me the important medicinal value of burbon.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

I learned from Grandpa and Grandma that share-cropping was a hard way to make a living.

vavs0929 5 years, 7 months ago

My paternal grandma passed on her present wrapping genes to me, I love to do it and they always look beautiful.My maternal grandma taught me to drink PBR and wants me to open a bar thats only open from 6am-noon--for those early morning drinkers :)

H_Lecter 5 years, 7 months ago

If have to be really quiet and lay really still or the monsters will hear you.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Rise with the dawn.......Rise in advance of the dawn.

Crossfire 5 years, 7 months ago

Coffee black.Whiskey straight.Shoot the bad guys with the biggest gun you can hold....my Grandpa.

cutny 5 years, 7 months ago

The value of a well-made grilled cheese and that pringles go great with coca-cola.

Potawatomi 5 years, 7 months ago

I learned how lucky I was not to have to walk 6 miles bare footed in the snow to school. Up hill both ways.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Shad are baitfish, not eating fish.

dajudge 5 years, 7 months ago

How to wipe my own *ss! Now that came in handy!

dminear60 5 years, 7 months ago

My grandparents were the best. I would not be half the person I am today without them. They taught me this: If you make a promise, you better be prepared to keep it. They also taught me that when mom and dad say no, ask grandma!