Previous   Next

Are you attracted to people who are in positions of power?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’m not attracted to people who have a higher stance or a lot of power. I think that they can become really cocky, and that’s just not attractive. Too much power can give someone a really big head.”

“I do not find people in a position of power necessarily more attractive, maybe somewhat intimidating, but I like to view people on an equal status level.”

“I think that to some degree I am a little attracted to people in positions of power, but more than that, it’s about how they use their power. … Someone who has a position of power and uses it to a good healthy social advantage, I think that’s really attractive.”

“I don’t think people in a position of power are attractive, because I think that power corrupts, and I think that it’s just not cool.”

Related story

Comments

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 1 month ago

Primitive social creatures should remain in their power corridors, thus avoiding the inherent evil of a power imbalance. It's all about checks and balances. It's a bad situation when you're out of checks and don't even know what your balance is! What were we talking about?~)Power takes many forms and often represents an accumulation of resources or features. Youth has an inherent power. Wealth has an inherent power. Influence over societal entities confers power. So does self-confidence. So does belief. Seek/Find truth and love and you'll never need "power".If you truly believe you don't need power, you'll have it!Good luck with that, drones and workers!~)

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

sue: I also forgot to draw your attention to something. The domo-kun, originally from Hyper-Andromache VII, is thus, of course, a direct descendent of the Great Slurg Beast of Hyper-Andromache VII, the great being that defacated out the known universe. It is one of the primary forms of bacteria life that breaks down the mighty feces of the Great Beast, making them extremely important in the total scale of the cosmos. They're practically like angels.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Marion writes:"Now Windlass has made a specific call to violence against a sitting president.Where is the outrage?Where are the threats to call the FBI?"Lord, if we took every lunatics potential threats seriously on this board, all I'd be doing is calling the FBI and being outraged.

Escapee 6 years, 1 month ago

Power...hhmmmmmmm...guess that depends on your perspective, and your view of yourself....Interesting question.I like smart people. But 'smart' is also one of those relative adjectives -- or is it an adverb, maybe.I think everyone has 'power'. I'm not sure it's really an 'attained' attribute. Maybe more a level of confidence.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Just as people with power can become cocky, so can people with no power bear a heavy chip on their shoulders.Anyway, I don't much care about power, so my answer is no.

I_Bejewel 6 years, 1 month ago

I guess I can recall being somewhat attracted to a cute male teacher or a superior at work. I'm not sure how much their position of power had to do with it. Probably a little. If we're talking politicians, "No, I have never found any of them particularly attractive."

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Sue, I'm hoping to get a job as a fortune cookie fortune writer, and I'm planning on putting that saying at the top of my resume.http://xkcd.com/425/

Tony Kisner 6 years, 1 month ago

The meek shall inherit the Earth, what is left of it.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

sgt, that sounded like you read it from a book of Chinese proverbs. Well done.jonas, my daughter LOVES domos. She is extremely attracted to them. Are they powerful?Am I attracted to people of power? Depends. What do they look like? Are they nice? Whitty? Got a really smokin physique? Hard worker? Kind? Facial Hair?I could be attracted to any number of fine qualities.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

jonas, glad to hear domos are practically angel-like...since my daughter has a 4' tall cardboard cut-out of one in her room. I'd hate for it to come to life during the night. He has rather big teeth.sgt, I once had a Chinese New Year party where I actually made fortune cookies just so that I could write my own fortunes to put in them. (Of course most of them were insulting...in a good way, of course.) :) I'll just hire you next time.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

I find people who are attracted to the powerful unattractive.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Police door bangs open"Crap, it's Marion with another "criminal libel" complaint, let's get outta here."

nobody1793 6 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like Mass St is full of "Reverse Snobs". Looking thier noses up at me.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Marion: "Well, you know, powerful people do like to be on top."Spoken like a true bottom.

Escapee 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, what an underworld doth livith in Lawrenth....

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Can't really say that I am, for the question. Unless you match their power level, it seems most likely that you'd get used. But then, likely you're just using them for their power, if that's the main reason for attachment, so I guess it's fair, in the end, but it's not for me.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Psst, windlass, you forgot to use the "running dogs" phrase. You'll never get your Order of Lenin now.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

In light of all the hysteria and fear-mongering, it's important for us to make an informed decision this election. I have provided the facts for all of us to do that. Read here.http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/jonas-op:(last plug, I promise)

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

sue: Well, domo-kuns come in many distinct shapes and sizes. The micro-domos are generally speedy but not that powerful. The big ones. . . . well, the big ones you gotta watch out for.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Does Lucy Lawless count as a person in a positon of power?

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm more attracted to a man in a uniform then the corporate suit type. So I guess I'm attracted to the physical power. I'm such a wimp and am afraid of everything so I need a big strong man to go in the living room and inspect all the weird noises I hear at night. Not a guy that has to sleep good for a big meeting.