Previous   Next

Do you think Kathleen Sebelius would be a good vice presidential running mate for Obama?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it would be interesting to have a female vice president to bring some balance to his administration. I think she would do well, looking back on everything she’s accomplished. I think she would be an asset to him.”

“I don’t think she will be chosen, but I do think she would be an excellent choice.”

“I think a higher profile running mate would be better for Obama. I think she’s got the chops to do it, but I’d hate for Kansas to lose such a good governor.”

“Yes, I do. I think she’s done a lot of good things in Kansas. She’s a little more moderate, so she could sway a lot of swing voters. And I think she could satisfy some soured Clinton fans as another female politician.”

Related story

Comments

Unix_Admin 6 years, 2 months ago

"She prevented an Indiana-based health insurer from buying out Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Kansas, arguing that the shift would raise premiums. She vetoed legislation for building two big coal plants in western Kansas-four times. She pushed a $500 million education funding package through a deeply divided legislature. And she eliminated a $1.1 billion debt without raising taxes."

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 2 months ago

Kathy hasn't done much on the positive side for the state of Kansas. She just floats along with the crowd. Nobody can tell you a single thing which has been tremendous for the state.Now, as for what she HAS not done......that's another story.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Sure, weren't they best buddies together on the Senate Banking Committee?

Jeff Barclay 6 years, 2 months ago

I thought the tornado was global warming?

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

I want Obama to take her. She will not deliver a state to him and really doesn't add anything to the ticket...plus it will get her the hell out of Kansas.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

This talk is just rediculous. She brings nothing to the table. I doubt she could even carry Ks for him. And even if she could. We have what? Seven electorial votes? I don't think she has been a good governer expecially. But when all you interview is college kids and a lawyer. What do you expect?

Jeff Barclay 6 years, 2 months ago

I think a Kansas free of Sebelius is a fantastic idea. My concern however is that an Obama/Sebelius winning ticket would be extremely naive in dealing with our enemies. Fairly certain Iran would love an Obama/Sebelius team.

jaybark 6 years, 2 months ago

invictus and Marion:Really? Really? I hear Target has a special on lemon starch if you need to press your white hoods before the rally. Good lands. This, THIS is exactly why Obama won't have a chance in November. For all the reference to our collective "progress" in social equality bandied about by the "some of my best friends are (insert race)" crowd, we still have bright, shining examples like these indicating how much "progress" we've NOT made. Congratulations, the both of you.

dminear60 6 years, 2 months ago

Cheeseburger: Lighten up and leave hitme alone. That is what people do with OTS. I am a big Sebelius fan and I thought the comment was amusing. With that said, I do not think she will be on the ticket because she does not have enough star power.

deskboy04 6 years, 2 months ago

She couldn't even help him win Kansas. She is hoping for a mid-level cabinet position at best.

penguin 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok I heard that comment about getting education funding through the legislature and it makes me laugh as much now as it did when I saw it in the New Republic article about why she should be picked. I just feel like I am taking crazy pills or others are taking amnesia pills. Last time I checked, the Kansas Supreme Court forced the Legislature to pass and Governor to sign that massive education funding bill.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Here's a better question: is Jim Jesse really Jack Nicholson?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

ohjay, I'm never really convinced it's Jack Nicholson unless he's sitting courtside at a Lakers game hogging the spotlight and yelling at the refs and the opponents like he matters or something. Seriously ... I turned on one of the playoff games to watch it for a few minutes, and that was what drove me to turn off the game: ABC kept showing Nicholson over and over and over. And over and over. I'm not a big NBA fan, but when I do happen to turn on a game, I can assure you that I don't do so because I want to see the cameras repeatedly cut to a celebrity who is entirely irrelevant to the on-court action.

Dani Davey 6 years, 2 months ago

TopJayhawk - Kansas has six electoral votes, one for each senator (2) and each representative (4).

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh gawd....that is the absolute last thing we need in Washington...another Kennedy. He should pick Sabelius and help McCain win.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

sgt - I'd be inclined to say yes, but without actually seeing the 9-iron, I'm not too sure.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

sgt - I know what you mean. I don't watch enough of the NBA to even see many of the celeb shots, but the bad thing is, they show all the celeb shots on Sportscenter! Like you say, these people have no impact on what happens on the court, how is that Sportscenter worthy? Heck, how is that even James Worthy?

trollkiller 6 years, 2 months ago

Cheeseburger...Get your meds checked...they aren't right or you aren't playing with a full deck.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 1 month ago

You mean in the same wat Geraldine Ferraro was the perfect running mate for Michael Dukakis?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

The word is absolutely yes! It would create new economic growth for Kansas. Make it a solid midwest team!

Lisa Day 6 years, 2 months ago

Spiderman: No way would Obama take Clinton as his running mate. She wants the presidency so bad she can taste it. The second he would select her as his running mate, he would be signing his death warrant. And with all the people who have "suspiciously" died in connection with the Clintons (at least 48), you can be sure he wouldn't last long as president. Don't believe me? Take a look at www.theforbiddenknowledge.com. Still don't believe me? Go to Arkansas. Anyone there will tell you all about the Clintons.

janeyb 6 years, 2 months ago

I think if it is a woman it should be Caroline Kennedy. She would be new to Washington, but is still old Washington. She is smart and successful, has put her family first, but has been involved in many charities, They can flash a few photos of her in the White House with her father, and the older voters will melt. Her politics align with Uncle Ted, but she has a more attractive public side and hasn't drowned anybody. She would be a sure thing for Obama.

james bush 6 years, 2 months ago

Sebelius lost any respect I once had when she went to "help" after the Greensburg tornado and used the democrat national committee script to blame Bush for the cleanup being stalled by lack of national guard equipment. She had KDOT equipment all over southwest Kansas to help. Did she order it to help in Greensburg? Dems are really good at campaigning for the PARTY, no matter what the circumstances. She'd fit well the messiah Obama.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't Edwards recently involved in some sort of dust-up that had him hiding in a hotel restroom to avoid reporters?