Previous   Next

Do you think Kathleen Sebelius would be a good vice presidential running mate for Obama?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it would be interesting to have a female vice president to bring some balance to his administration. I think she would do well, looking back on everything she’s accomplished. I think she would be an asset to him.”

“I don’t think she will be chosen, but I do think she would be an excellent choice.”

“I think a higher profile running mate would be better for Obama. I think she’s got the chops to do it, but I’d hate for Kansas to lose such a good governor.”

“Yes, I do. I think she’s done a lot of good things in Kansas. She’s a little more moderate, so she could sway a lot of swing voters. And I think she could satisfy some soured Clinton fans as another female politician.”

Related story

Comments

iloveribs 5 years, 8 months ago

I think she would be great. You would not have to pay her as much.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 9 months ago

You mean in the same wat Geraldine Ferraro was the perfect running mate for Michael Dukakis?

jimincountry 5 years, 9 months ago

Sebelius lost any respect I once had when she went to "help" after the Greensburg tornado and used the democrat national committee script to blame Bush for the cleanup being stalled by lack of national guard equipment. She had KDOT equipment all over southwest Kansas to help. Did she order it to help in Greensburg? Dems are really good at campaigning for the PARTY, no matter what the circumstances. She'd fit well the messiah Obama.

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh gawd....that is the absolute last thing we need in Washington...another Kennedy. He should pick Sabelius and help McCain win.

janeyb 5 years, 9 months ago

I think if it is a woman it should be Caroline Kennedy. She would be new to Washington, but is still old Washington. She is smart and successful, has put her family first, but has been involved in many charities, They can flash a few photos of her in the White House with her father, and the older voters will melt. Her politics align with Uncle Ted, but she has a more attractive public side and hasn't drowned anybody. She would be a sure thing for Obama.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

just some good ole boys, never doin no wrong....

Lisa Day 5 years, 9 months ago

Spiderman: No way would Obama take Clinton as his running mate. She wants the presidency so bad she can taste it. The second he would select her as his running mate, he would be signing his death warrant. And with all the people who have "suspiciously" died in connection with the Clintons (at least 48), you can be sure he wouldn't last long as president. Don't believe me? Take a look at www.theforbiddenknowledge.com. Still don't believe me? Go to Arkansas. Anyone there will tell you all about the Clintons.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

Kathleen would be a good VP. It would be good for Kansas. Invictus, you make me want to vomit...preferably on Nancy boy..Please spew your hatred elsewhere.

deskboy04 5 years, 9 months ago

She couldn't even help him win Kansas. She is hoping for a mid-level cabinet position at best.

trollkiller 5 years, 9 months ago

Cheeseburger...Get your meds checked...they aren't right or you aren't playing with a full deck.

toe 5 years, 9 months ago

Sure. Anything to get her out of the state.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't Edwards recently involved in some sort of dust-up that had him hiding in a hotel restroom to avoid reporters?

cheeseburger 5 years, 9 months ago

hitme - you had it right until the 'naaaaaaaaw'! Guess I just don't understand the brand of humor that causes people to make irrelevant and irreverent remarks which make light of a very catastrophic event resulting in the loss of human life. Would you appreciate someone making a joke out of a tragic event that affected your family?

le 5 years, 9 months ago

THe Simmons family has a huge number of the retard gene in their family tree! And Dolph has 2 pay 4 pussy...Hee hee...The family only keeps the kids that skipped the Gene...but all of the retards produced by dolph by the whores ..are alive and well and living off the huge sums of payoff money slipped under the table! ( Now you have to understand...I never said 4 sure I am speaking of the Lawrence ks. simmons family...do the research and you will find another family in the states...with the same name...)...Happy searching....did I rattle a cage here?....cuz this is what I am trying 2 do...cuz I cannot get a response from yer self proclaimed great award winning paper...Ha...

le 5 years, 9 months ago

This comment section has 2 many retards posting here 2 single out each of the retards 4 their uninformed idiotic responses! Seb. would not make a good V.P....but she would make a great Prez.......The last thing we need is a big eared Redbone as commander and theif...yes...his genetics alone has a built in crook element....he would be perfect 2 stick out front on the front lines of the lame @ssed G.O.P. oil driven phoney war....cuz i know the LJW is hiding my comments ..I could throw out the 'N" word 100 times if I chose 2 ..and...it would not be removed...why...well I doubt you will ask cuz..you will never see this post! Ya see..(actually you wont see)...cuz..LJW is so scared of my natural intelligence and the threat I pose at making them look like the dumd@ss G.O.P. supporters they truly are...they simply hide my Genius from you...I have 2 much power 4 the LJW 2 let you see my unscathing reporting of the truth...c`mon boys...I would say it is safe 2 say..the Simmons family doesnt pay you enough 2 be their puppet..but yet you dont have the balls 2 do the right thing and print my comments ! I am smarter than you pencil /button pushing retards..so much that for a long time you were unable 2 stop me from finding a way 2 get my comments up and go around yer blockage techniques..Hee hee....you can only wish you were as intelligent as me...the funny part is...every time I make a comment on here ...I am gathering more evidence against you retards...and the bizzarre stuff I post is designed to show the world the media (especially the LJW)..is abusing the rights of the very public that has been putting food on the crooked Simmons family table for over a 100 years! I set up a system that sends all my comments and others (and the E-mails LJW has and has not responded 2 ...) To a special investigative media...kinda like internal affairs 4 the newsworld...and what is even funnier ...you idiots are ignoring me 2 the level that ..I have given you every oppotunity 2 catch all this ..so you could protect yerself...(cuz basically I am enjoying toying with you idiots cuz it is fun 4 me)...and I know you are so stupid..you arent even checkin up on me cuz you think I am no threat 2 yer lame @ssed one sided newspaper! In ref. 2 a old Zep tune...your time is gonna come....Yuk...Yuk...the joke and soon 2 come supenas are on you! Take that ..smart guys! In yer eye..in yer face...and up yer @ss!

spiderman 5 years, 9 months ago

earlier in the year i wished that the ticket would be Edwards/Obama.now i want a VP candidate that will insure victory (even against Diebold) in November !remember 70% of voting machines in Johnson County have no paper trail ?

spiderman 5 years, 9 months ago

NOin order to win he needs either Hilary, Al Gore, or John Edwards !

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

dminear60 Thank you for beating me to it. Hitme, and barclay, others: thanks for the chuckles this morning. OTS is the town's place for light-hearted banter about issues, with some simple opinions thrown in.I've been checking out some other KS papers online, and it's very sad they don't have this feature. Our OTS thread shows the friendly heart of this town on a daily basis!

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

sgt - I know what you mean. I don't watch enough of the NBA to even see many of the celeb shots, but the bad thing is, they show all the celeb shots on Sportscenter! Like you say, these people have no impact on what happens on the court, how is that Sportscenter worthy? Heck, how is that even James Worthy?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

The word is absolutely yes! It would create new economic growth for Kansas. Make it a solid midwest team!

hitme 5 years, 9 months ago

Cheesburger, Maybe you're right. Maybe, I should stop and think about the value of my comments. Maybe I should consider that some people will take everything literally. Maybe I should reflect upon the reason I was placed here and try to serve only the greater good of man....naaaaaaaaw

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

I pictured Kathleen Sebelius as more of a StairMaster® type of chic, and I thought Obama was a gym/basketball guy.I guess they could both take up running...

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

ohjay, I'm never really convinced it's Jack Nicholson unless he's sitting courtside at a Lakers game hogging the spotlight and yelling at the refs and the opponents like he matters or something. Seriously ... I turned on one of the playoff games to watch it for a few minutes, and that was what drove me to turn off the game: ABC kept showing Nicholson over and over and over. And over and over. I'm not a big NBA fan, but when I do happen to turn on a game, I can assure you that I don't do so because I want to see the cameras repeatedly cut to a celebrity who is entirely irrelevant to the on-court action.

jaybark 5 years, 9 months ago

invictus and Marion:Really? Really? I hear Target has a special on lemon starch if you need to press your white hoods before the rally. Good lands. This, THIS is exactly why Obama won't have a chance in November. For all the reference to our collective "progress" in social equality bandied about by the "some of my best friends are (insert race)" crowd, we still have bright, shining examples like these indicating how much "progress" we've NOT made. Congratulations, the both of you.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

sgt - I'd be inclined to say yes, but without actually seeing the 9-iron, I'm not too sure.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

Here's a better question: is Jim Jesse really Jack Nicholson?

Dani Davey 5 years, 9 months ago

TopJayhawk - Kansas has six electoral votes, one for each senator (2) and each representative (4).

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, Komrade Kathy would ensure his defeat!Vote Nader!

penguin 5 years, 9 months ago

Ok I heard that comment about getting education funding through the legislature and it makes me laugh as much now as it did when I saw it in the New Republic article about why she should be picked. I just feel like I am taking crazy pills or others are taking amnesia pills. Last time I checked, the Kansas Supreme Court forced the Legislature to pass and Governor to sign that massive education funding bill.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 9 months ago

Will she promise not to wear bugeye glasses???

dminear60 5 years, 9 months ago

Cheeseburger: Lighten up and leave hitme alone. That is what people do with OTS. I am a big Sebelius fan and I thought the comment was amusing. With that said, I do not think she will be on the ticket because she does not have enough star power.

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

Take my governor..............please

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 9 months ago

She's a perfect running mate for Obama. Two frauds, pandering and changing positions for political expediency. The people will figure them out soon enough. In addition, the easy task of associating her with Dr. Tiller will raise some awareness of who she is and this of course will spill over onto Obama. Then there will be the coal plant association. The ideas of negative ads that could be produced about Sebelius are endless. Awareness though, doesn't necessarily translate into reality for the far-left, who have hijacked the Democratic Party. Not the same party of even 10 years ago. Look at the migration from Bill and Hillary---formerly the Democratic Party success story---not any more.

cheeseburger 5 years, 9 months ago

hitme - I'm not a big Sebelius fan, but I fail to see how your inane comment adds to the discussion. Perhaps you should crawl back into your hole until you can come up with something to say that is relevant to the topic at hand.Sebelius has been posturing for some time, but I don't think she'll get the nod.

Barclay 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought the tornado was global warming?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

Sure, weren't they best buddies together on the Senate Banking Committee?

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

I want Obama to take her. She will not deliver a state to him and really doesn't add anything to the ticket...plus it will get her the hell out of Kansas.

hitme 5 years, 9 months ago

The Greensburg Tornado was her fault.

Barclay 5 years, 9 months ago

I think a Kansas free of Sebelius is a fantastic idea. My concern however is that an Obama/Sebelius winning ticket would be extremely naive in dealing with our enemies. Fairly certain Iran would love an Obama/Sebelius team.

Unix_Admin 5 years, 9 months ago

"She prevented an Indiana-based health insurer from buying out Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Kansas, arguing that the shift would raise premiums. She vetoed legislation for building two big coal plants in western Kansas-four times. She pushed a $500 million education funding package through a deeply divided legislature. And she eliminated a $1.1 billion debt without raising taxes."

TopJayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

This talk is just rediculous. She brings nothing to the table. I doubt she could even carry Ks for him. And even if she could. We have what? Seven electorial votes? I don't think she has been a good governer expecially. But when all you interview is college kids and a lawyer. What do you expect?

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 9 months ago

Kathy hasn't done much on the positive side for the state of Kansas. She just floats along with the crowd. Nobody can tell you a single thing which has been tremendous for the state.Now, as for what she HAS not done......that's another story.

justfornow 5 years, 9 months ago

What has she done? Please enlighten me.