Previous   Next

Do you recycle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 18, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes I do, to help the environment.”

“Our family does recycle. If we didn’t, we would have way too much trash. … I like to get the kids involved.”

“Yes, we do. I think I kind of grew up thinking green, and since it’s become so vitally important, we do it.”

“Yes. I think it’s a good thing to do for the environment.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes - Mainly because our trash disposal company makes it easy by providing us with a recycle bin. It gets picked up the same day as the trash does.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 4 months ago

Nobody likes to play with football. Nobody. The players hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you play because your father wants you to. Then you play to get the girls. If you keep on playing, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you play for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the game, and that's fun. But nobody likes to play football. Nobody.Yes.

BigAl 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow Babboy, not to piss you off but maybe your carreer choice wasn't all that well thought out.

KSChick1 6 years, 4 months ago

yes but my favorite is cans because I donate them to Cans for the Community. They collect and cash in cans and give $500 to different community organizations like Cottonwood, WTCS, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Boys and Girls Club, etc. It's really worthwhile. They have drop boxes in several locations around town. You can also drop your cans off at the Recycling Ctr at 11th/12th? and Haskell and tell them the cans are for Cans for the Community and they'll put them on their account. Last I heard, this was so successful that Cans for the Community was going to start donating $1000 each time, instead of $500.And it doesn't cost you anything but a trip to a drop off location!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Yesterday I made coffee at work with purified urine. Now nobody in the office will speak to me. :(

Fishman 6 years, 4 months ago

We try to do as much recycling as we can, especially anything plastic. Seems like a sensible thing to do so that the United States can buy less oil from the people that want to kill us. Blunt, but sadly true.

jaycat 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I send it down the river to Lawrence. Once or twice daily.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 4 months ago

I am amazed at the number of people still using plastic bags when grocery shopping. The trunk of your car should hold enough room for some cloth ones. It doesn't take a lot of effort but the payoff is huge!

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

I work full time plus a part-time job and spend a lot of time with my grandchildren when I'm not working, but still manage to recycle. I live in an upstairs apartment and don't have a lot of room to store my recycling, but I'd feel really lazy and guilty if I didn't recycle. Do I love it? No way!!! I just hope with the recession and less demand for recycled material, it just doesn't end up in a landfill. That would be very irritating to me.

reanne 6 years, 4 months ago

no. But...my husband and I are about to go green. :) We were talking about recycling the other day... We recycle in my office at work though.

hawklet21 6 years, 4 months ago

BABBOY (Anonymous) says…"No, but I am not homemaker, student or retired. If I were any of the above with too much time on my hands, then I would do so.Not to piss off any of the above, but I am at work when you wake up and I am going home from work when you go to bed."The average student, maybe. But not all of us roll out of bed at noon, some of us have jobs (even two or three), and some us actually do our homework. This is not a 40 hour per week job; it is usually much, much more.

gsxr600 6 years, 4 months ago

recycling.... bleh, not as awesomely stupindous as some of you hippies think..

alm77 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, we recycle. We used to drive it out the Walmart Center, but then I decided to go back to school full time and thats when we hired Sunflower Curbside Recycling to come and get it. They're inexpensive and very convenient.

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

Even more important than recycling is to reduce and reuse. It amazes me how much trash some of the neighbors generage. Some put out two full city cans plus bags alongside every single week. Most weeks, we put out one 8-gallon bag. On the other weeks, it'll be two 8-gallon bags. If we would compost or get a garbage disposal, we'd probably be able to stay at one bag a week every week.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 4 months ago

Recycling is easy and takes next to no time at all once you get a bit organized. I compost for my garden as well. I try to buy stuff in bulk to avoid excessive packaging. I only put garbage on the curb every second or third week, but then I'm single-no-kids.One of my favorite aphorisms: Littering is morally equivalent to pulling down your pants and pooping on the sidewalk. Choosing not to recycle is morally equivalent to pooping in your pants.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

RI - to answer your question of yesterday about imperial or regular feet. Sheesh by imperial are you referring to the feet of her Royal Highness Good Queen Bess? Sorry but I only know one type of feet, the 12 inch type with 3 feet to a yard, 5280 feet to a mile, if I remember correctly, it has been so long. Or is that inches to the mile. I forget. So my frontage is 60 ft. or 720 inches. Is that right? Then if you figure the sidewalk is 4 ft.or 48 inches wide. that makes 34,560 sq. inches to shovel. and that is just the city sidewalk.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Now as to the question of recycling. Absolutely, I recycle, everything I can. Some I take to the recycle company and get paid for it. that includes, beer bottles, wine and vodka bottles, juice containers, soymilk cartons and pop cans. The rest, which includes milk cartons, tin cans, glass bottles and plastic containers and newspaper and cardboard cartons, gets picked up once a week. They must all be in blue plastic bags. Reg. garbage in any other type bags. We may also put out compost material in clear bags.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 4 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says…Recycling is wasteful. How much gas do you use driving to the recycling center? There's a place for trash, it's called a landfill. ..I certainly hope you are being facetious. Recycling SAVES energy. It takes less energy to make stuff from recycled raw material than from unrecycled. For aluminum it's about a 10 to 1 difference. As far as the energy it takes to take it to the recycling center, I presume you could piggy back it onto some other errand that you were going to do anyway. There's no counter-argument. Recycling saves energy, resources, habitat. It is an unadulterated good. The more people who do it, the better for everybody. I expect as the economy begins to pick up again, there will be a strong demand for recyclable stuff to be used as cheap raw materials.

classclown 6 years, 4 months ago

On tall hills with icy roads I do. Sometimes as I get halfway up or even near the top, my bicycle hits a real icy patch causing me to slide most of the way back down the hill. Then I have to recycle back to the top.

labmonkey 6 years, 4 months ago

RI-So if we get a canadian bacon pizza, we are only getting 80% of the bacon that we would get had we asked for a regular bacon pizza?

BuffyloGal 6 years, 4 months ago

No, you're getting it from French-speaking pigs. Le oink. Le oink.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 4 months ago

And yes, it should reduce to l'oink, l'oink.

deskboy04 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't recycle...too much work. However, I'll bet that I have a lot less trash than most people.

BaxterC 6 years, 4 months ago

shoot, we need to start. I'm gonna make my family start this Christmas when they are vulnerable to charity and thoughtfulness.