Previous   Next

Have you ever altered your diet for athletic purposes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 16, 2008

Browse the archives

“I usually eat a lot more food when I’m exercising a lot, but it’s not a conscious effort, it just makes me have a larger appetite.”

“Yes, for swim season. I eat a lot more pasta for the carbs, and I try to eat less fatty foods and don’t eat out as much.”

“Yes, for high school football I had to eat a lot more to increase my weight. I was eating at least double the amount I usually ate.”

“Yes, I would always eat spaghetti before each race when I ran cross-country.”

Comments

Mariann 6 years ago

Yeah- I drank beer after I walked to the store....:)

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Well, depending on the school you're representing, off-color jokes may actually be an integral accessory to school colors. For instance, if you're representing a state-run university -- yes, any state-owned university -- then you'll want to pack the off-color jokes. Just visit the student section at a major sporting event hosted by one of those state-run universities and you'll hear why!(Seriously: Michigan was once reprimanded by the NCAA because of the Michigan student section's language during a hockey regional hosted in Ann Arbor.)Sincerely,The Sartorial Sgt.(If anyone would like to visit Ann Arbor during hockey season and experience one of the best collegiate sporting atmospheres in the nation, I'd be happy to take you to a Michigan hockey game. You may not want your kids repeating the traditional student section chants, but the atmosphere is outstanding.)

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

But, but, Sgt! The hat matches my gardening gloves! (And I look really good in pink.) But I'll try to forgo buying any more off-color school garb in the future...now that you've set me straight on the matter.Sincerely,Still pink but now I'm bluep.s. can I still tell off-color jokes?

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Dear Pink and Proud,From my perspective, there are no exceptions; school names and logos without school colors simply are not acceptable. Certainly, school names and logos paired with rival school colors -- I have actually seen red Michigan shirts and green Michigan shirts, and I have quietly questioned the presence of brain activity in the people who wore those shirts -- but names and logos paired with any and all non-school colors just aren't acceptable in my mind.However, if you wish to wear a particular color for a particular reason, that color may be worn on a separate piece of clothing; for instance, it is acceptable to wear a KU shirt with a pink hat, or vice-versa. That way, you can wear the color without betraying the identity of the school.Sincerely,The Sartorial Sgt.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

Did I mention it is Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch?

tonythetiger 6 years ago

Me an' ole cap'n crunch have a thing going 'bout what to eat.That Trix rabbit is a coniving fella though.

jonas 6 years ago

I drank more beer to get into the beer drinking competition. It was very competitive.

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says: I don't eat Mexican food on the day before Naked Extreme Spelunking.-------------ew ew ew ew...nastiest visual ever there T_O_B!Guano gets into everything!

BABBOY 6 years ago

I still do. I love lifting weights. On lifting days and recovery days (day after lifting) after, I eat a ton whey protein. I lift three times a week so I spend a lot of time at GNC. Sadly, I have tough time controlling my carbs and love to go out to eat. So dispite all my work outs, I am still a fat boy.In school I ran more, and eat out less, meaning I was not so fat. But, I am actually stronger now in everything except the squat which is hard for me to do with my knees ....

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

Ms_C, I have found that one can pour an entire beverage on a keyboard and not do it any harm...except to make some of the keys stick for a while. :)Dear Sgt, I have to go back to something you said yesterday...about doning school garb in non-school colors. I agree with you, but I'm also an offender. I wanted a baseball cap in t!tty pink...to promote breast cancer awareness. I happened to find one with a Jayhawk on it. I couldn't resist. I figured since nobody has t!tty pink for school colors, it would be OK. What is your ruling on the matter? Can I wear the hat year-round, or do I have to wait until October? (BC Awareness month)-Pink and proud in KS

ms_canada 6 years ago

You are right Sue - baseball and a hotdog just seem made for each other. Now then, when I am watching grandson Rob in his hockey jersey on my computer, I think a glass of white goes very well indeed. Except when they score a goal and I let out a grand whoop and spill a bit of it. Not good.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

In this day and age, I'd think you could find a codpiece with a built-in flashlight. I'm with Nota on this ?...I only alter my diet when watching sports.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Ha! I don't think I've ever done anything for athletic purposes. But I take pictures of athletes now, so I guess it all evens out.

ms_canada 6 years ago

TOB - this I would love to see. Can I bring my digital camera? and where in this day and age do you find a codpiece?

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

R_I - Amateurs are allowed to wear codpieces. Pros like myself just grin and bear it when the inevitable contact between the jagged rocks and lil' bob occur.

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

R_I & H_L - both are in rare form this AM. Very funny.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

I guess, some might call that "potential self castration"

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

R_I - That's why they call it Extreme.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

T_O_B,Don't you get some nasty harness chafing?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

T_O_B,That would sure be a blessing while traversing Godzillas Nostril in Moaning Cavern.

JJE007 6 years ago

Eating is my sport...so I don't really know how to answer this! I'm not a professional but I am obsessed with this athletic endeavor. I hold a record in full slab rib devastation, rank crawfish downing, accidental oyster shell ingestion and keeping down rotten chicken gumbo. This kind of eating is an art...with an "f".

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

I don't eat Mexican food on the day before Naked Extreme Spelunking.

le 6 years ago

I am currently having my blogs altered!

H_Lecter 6 years ago

like oysters before a....marathon? nope

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

I am sure I am older than most the respondants at this point but I have always wondered why people are so crazy about the "Low Carb" diet.I usually used mixed vegetables with pasta or rice and for breakfast have oats, and a peanut butter sandwich with some form of fruit like grapes, oranges or a banana.Just for flavor I would put parmesean on the pasta.It is a really bland diet but it works for me.

notajayhawk 6 years ago

Yes. I've eaten a five dollar hotdog at a baseball game, when I usually wouldn't do that at home.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

Every once in a while, I forgo beer. When the spousal unit is working out with her mp3 player blasting, she can't hear me yelling for a beer from the davenport.

le 6 years ago

Yup...Steroids....(that is what you were searching for..right)...I Have no Neck..My ears connect to my shoulders...and for a long time in my younger years my penis didnt work ! So to all you athletes out there...I got away with it in the late 70s and early 80s...but today is a different story! If I had known back then what I know now about the drug you can bet I would have avoided them! Back then we on the football team didnt realize the dangers ! I had thoughts of suicide..and murder...luckily I made it thru it..but not without side effects! Now maybe you know why I have a problem with sports...Our wieght lifting coach is the one that was passing them out like candy! Perhaps he didnt know the dangers...But in my later years as the dangers came to lite... I developed a hate for sports and sports figures! They wanna win so bad they dont care about anything else! If you can`t do it on your own merits..then you are not really a winner ...Just a sinner!!!!!