Previous   Next

Do you do anything to winterize your home?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’ve helped friends put plastic over their windows, but we really don’t do anything ourselves. We live in an apartment, so there isn’t much we can do.”

“Yes. We cover up the weep holes in the crawl space under our house so that cold air doesn’t get in. We also installed insulation under our floorboards, which made a huge difference.”

“I just try to keep the fireplace lit during the night and check all the windows for drafts.”

“The only thing I do is to draw in our awning so it doesn’t fill up with rain and break the gears.”

Comments

GretchenJP 6 years, 6 months ago

LOL! Those darn thingies. Stay offa my lawn!!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, dear, now we are talking about putting plastic thingies over other thingies...........

More straight lines!

GretchenJP 6 years, 6 months ago

Putting those plastic thingies over the cat's claws? This will prevent you from having to declaw them. Darn kitties! I have 3 myself.

hckleberry 6 years, 6 months ago

So I'll put it out to all you forum people here. We always put plastic up over our windows, if we dont the wind blows right through our house. BUT, this year we have cats, they love to rip the plastic up. Trying to figure out how to put the plastic on the outside, but there is no wood to put the small nails into, only siding. Anyone have any ideas (besides getting rid of the cats? lol )

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

We northern girls, with the way we kiss--we keep our husbands warm at night.

I make a lot of soups, stew, and chili in the winter, too. In addition to being nutritious comfort food, cooking it slowly all day helps keep the air hydrated.

We use "draft dodgers" at a couple of leaky doors/window sills, but should probably do something more efficient one of these days. Overall, this house is pretty tight. Our gas bills are never too bad.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 6 months ago

Diana:

By covering up what you call "weep holes" in your crawl space, you are most likely trapping condensation and accelerating rot in your floor joists and floor. Also if you did not install a proper vapour barrier between the insulation and the floor, you are in very real trouble.

Vince:

If you are not using something like a Franklin stove or a fireplace insert, you are putting more warm air up the chimney than you are putting into the house. The fireplace may well feel nice and toasty but may actually be costing you money. Also, if you make the house too airtight you are using all of your warm interior air for the combustion process and risking CO poisoning as well as oxygen deprivation.

i_tching 6 years, 6 months ago

As it is with sweet crude, the center of the earth is also filled with a giant reservoir of natural gas. When this runs a little low, Jesus replenishes it so that the cost of heating your home in winter will remain affordable.

It's in the bible. I said so.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

I put the down comforter on the bed. Gotta go hunt down those fireplace tools and make sure the propane torch is full.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Nope. No plastic on my windows. I gotta BREATHE.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

Each fall, my wattle and daub hut gets a new exterior plastering of mammoth biosolids.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 6 months ago

We have a ceramic snowman lamp that we sometimes put on an end table. I don't enjoy winter as much as spring, summer, and fall, so I will generally refuse to "embrace" the season and winterize.

Crossfire 6 years, 6 months ago

...just flip that little switch from COOL to HEAT.

Foofabs 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I'm going to Vote Ron Paul for President!!