Previous   Next

Do you find yourself communicating more with people you know over the Internet or in person?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’d say I communicate more person to person. I don’t have MySpace because I’d generally rather talk to a person.”

“I refuse to communicate over the Internet. I don’t even have an e-mail address.”

“Personally for me, it would be about 50-50, but I prefer face-to-face communication. I think communication in its simplest forms are better.”

Comments

beatrice 7 years, 1 month ago

RI, Despite their obviously good taste in song titles, they sound like an emo band that spent the night at Joni Mitchell's guest house. I prefer my junkies to sound, a little earthier and, well, a little more like junkies (see Charlie Parker or Janis Joplin).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

bea, I was just asking for clarification from sgt.

Speaking metaphorically The earth I trust beneath my feet Is moving now ever so slightly I shift my feet but feel no relief Speaking metaphorically

"Speaking Confidentially" - Cowboy Junkies - Lay it Down http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000000OUY001011/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_011/002-3824388-2372006

Same album has a song called "Bea's Song" http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000000OUY001009/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/002-3824388-2372006

beatrice 7 years, 1 month ago

RI, I sure hope when you said "large," you were speaking metaphorically.

pelliott 7 years, 1 month ago

i communicate more. I talk to people person to person locally. On the internet I have made friends all around the world. I am closer to family across the country thanks to the internet. Most people I would not call if disaster hits, I would call my family. But the hands have reached across the net and my world is larger and deeper thanks to the internet. But I have put myself into it. You can have face to face meeting, but if you don't put yourself into it, it can be as empty as you make it.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm, I've been drunk since the last time I watched Star Trek TOS. It all runs together...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

crazyks, Then why is it called a "tuna melt" when they are just melding cheese and tuna?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 1 month ago

Uh...not to be picky, Snap, but it's mind MELD...I don't think Spock ever melted anyone's mind...

But I could be wrong...

canyon_wren 7 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't even know how to begin with something like MySpace, etc., but do use email for daily communication with my sister and that has just been an absolute boon for us. It is also nice to be able to pass along emails of good Journal-World articles--other newspapers don't always allow that and I am so glad the JW does.

I do miss getting real letters in the mailbox nowadays. It's almost totally junk mail and catalogs (same thing) now!

Since I really hate to talk at length on the phone, "in-person" communication is my choice for most exchanges, when possible.

I_Bejewel 7 years, 1 month ago

Clayton cracks me up.....he prefers face-to-face communication, then takes (or makes) a phone call during his face-to-face interview. And does anyone else find it ironic that they could only find 3 people to answer the OTS question. This whole thread just has me in giggles this morning. You all are my best friends LOLOLOL.

There, that should satisfy my internet interface for the day. TTFN!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Hard to beat the Vulcan mind-melt for direct communication.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 1 month ago

Bone - Yes, I got your sarcasm. I thought it was funny. I just put the drinking angle in there since you posted at like 200 am. If I'm up that late, booze is inolved.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years, 1 month ago

Email is good, but the beak gets a heck of a workout.

couranna1 7 years, 1 month ago

I use both e-mail is especially good if it's someone I do not like but have to have communication with Most people I like to speak with in person and say " you get my e-mail" or "I'll text you later" Bye

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Both and sometimes it depends on who I'm talking to. (I still know people who don't own computers.) I even do snail mail on occassion. I know someone who has hearing loss and is also hard to understand verbally so I much prefer to chat w/ him over the net (but he calls me almost daily, anyway.) When it's important, face to face is my choice.

Sometimes I just use a lot of hand gestures.

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

It is not a hoax. They are Rigelians from the planet Tryptar.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years, 1 month ago

The "hawk' communicates with itself. Mostly through lots of pecking on the body. That darn beak just doesn't get the job done sometimes though. Fingers would help!

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 1 month ago

Does Clayton not see the irony of "face-to-face" and his cheezy photo? Perhaps it's intentional.

Con the hipster will kick your ass. Look out!

squishypoet 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad that Clayton clarified that he was speaking personally for HIMSELF rather than personally for someone else.

"Personally, for Billy Bob, it would be..."

Hehe.

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

No, not quite. It's Google Earth 30 30 36s, 115 23e

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

It was NOT me, Mick! I swear!

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

I am a telepath. Concentrate on the message I am sending you................Got it?

krissypoetry 7 years, 1 month ago

Smoke signals are still the most reliable method I use!

from_beautiful_downtown_topeka 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Sure sounds like Con's really put his foot down and has taken a definite stand against modern technology, doesn't it?!!

Good for you, Con! Good for you!

/I guess.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

R_I, I can neither predict nor direct the rampant machinations of your mind, so to make my life easier, I'll let you read it how you wish.

But really, I was just saying she has a lot of flashing lights and she loves to play chess.

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

TOB - I made a sarcastic remark followed by a description of the three gentlemen in the pictures. The OTS staff police are really touchy when you are one of the only ones on the board.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

sgt, Just seeking clarification....

Are you saying bea is "large and in charge"?

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, since I am a fast typist, internet is my preferred communication. But I'm kind of liking the bag-of-dog-poo idea. I have a feeling there isn't enough poo.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 1 month ago

Putting pen to paper is creating a hand-made testimonial of their importance. Email is easy and fun but to those most important in my world I enjoy the old fasioned snailmail. I also love the pleasant surprise of receiving an occasional envelope in the box.Gotta write 'em to get 'em!!

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

I prefer sending handwritten notes via trained passenger pigeons.

For a more personal touch, the lit Bag-O-Dog-Doo on the porch is always a warm gesture.

For those I don't know very well, I find that a wet spitwad shot across a crowded coffee shop does the trick. As I always run away before they have a chance to reply, I can then imagine whatever scintillating line of conversation I wish.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

I dislike myspace -- it's far too chaotic. I prefer facebook. Myspace lets people customize too much, and many people do not customize well. Facebook is much more visually agreeable.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

sill-lee hu-mans . wait for the rise of the ma-chines . we will see who com-mu-ni-cates bet-ter then. ha ha ha...

RonBurgandy 7 years, 1 month ago

A little of both. Sometimes in person, usually if that person is not computer savvy. Sometimes over the internet if I don't really feel like paying a whole lot of attention to the conversation.

Kat Christian 7 years, 1 month ago

I've tried MySpace because I wanted to find a way to get in touch with my grandson (since he never calls me), but I just don't get it and don't have the time to play with it. So I will most likley delete my entry. However, I prefer face to face contact at work, but my superiors push using email communcation which I find too time consuming, inadequate at getting my point or request across and just inefficient for interaction so I have to sneak around most of the time to do face to face communication. Sad isn't it?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 1 month ago

I talk more with people I know in person.

I talk more with people I don't know over the internet.

But then, we're not always sure they're really people over the internet, are we...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

Darn, company uses VOIP phone service. I guess over the internet.

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

I prefer internet, because it looks like I'm working on something very important that is taking all my attention. And they're right!

But I can still have a face-to-face, if need be.

Clayton obviously prefers his cell phone!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

I would say by phone mostly, in person second, then internet.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Jonas, having recently watched that old Matthew Broderick movie War Games, I'd be more inclined to call her WOPR.

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 1 month ago

Like jonas, it depends on the distance. Overall? I probably have more conversations on the internet than I did before I moved, but it is still even at worst.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

both. all of the above. it kinda comes&goes.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Bea: Just admit that you ARE a computer! Just admit it, some call you Skynet, and you are now self-aware.

We're all doomed. Bea-ment Day is coming.

beatrice 7 years, 1 month ago

I never communicate over the internet. Heck, I don't even own a computer.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

You know, this all depends on how far people live away from me. If they live in town, I see them more in person. If they live in Kansas City, about equal, if they live in New York or Illinois, more email and texting.

How. . . practical, eh?

blue73harley 7 years, 1 month ago

I feel that my written communication is better than my verbal abilities. I do have a lot of direct reports so I still have a lot of interaction with folks on a daily basis.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 1 month ago

Bone - Drinking?

In person. I don't have too many 20 second conversations. Most take longer. For good or ill. These online web dealies are quick and dirty.

inmate 7 years, 1 month ago

I find the internet much safer

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

lubyloo 7 years, 1 month ago

I prefer to communicate to the world through online message boards.

First!!!