Previous   Next

Do you keep in contact with your job while you’re on vacation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“No, absolutely not. With my job, I don’t really have to stay in touch. If I leave everything prepared, I feel confident. When you’re on vacation, you should be on vacation.”

“Totally. My job is wholesale. I’m on the phone at 8 a.m. and I keep my cell phone on me at all times. If someone needs something, I’m making money. My job’s not really about how many hours I work; it’s about commission.”

“I do. I bring my cell phone with me so that I can be contacted by my clients, but I like my clients. They’re good people.”

“No. When I’m on vacation, I don’t want to even think about work. If they need to talk to me, I guess they could call me. But I’m certainly not going to come back early.”

Comments

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

What I meant is...... that during the week even though I have left work I am expected to take care of a few things after I leave and I'm off the clock. So after that my mind put work on the back burner especially on weekends. I try extra hard not to even think about it. NO life is not bad I was just using the "being nice to someone thing" as an analogy. Still we spend too much time at work and not enough with our families.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

When I worked at the university: no. Now that I am self-employed: it's hard to get away from me.

Also, to the LJW reporter: maybe it's not the best idea to take a picture of someone next to a "FOR RENT" sign. Although maybe it's not all bad; I laughed out loud when I saw the picture.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Ok, unless i am on a cruise in the middle of the ocean (or North Dakota), the office keeps in touch with me!

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Ok, like i was saying, I actually try to go somewhere where these isn't a cell ..... Sorry, hang on, I'm being called.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Well when I'm on vacation .... hang on I'm being paged.

prospector 6 years, 10 months ago

At the bottom of the big well?

prospector 6 years, 10 months ago

"Nick Danger.

He walks again by night."

Nick has to stay in the dark, so he vacation's at the south pole.

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

Well, the tough part of vacation is that I usually don't have enough refrigerator space.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 10 months ago

I wonder where Nick Danger goes for vacation.

Godot 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't get a salary or a wage or paid vacation. If I do not sell, I do not earn; taking a vacation costs me double - the actual cost, plus the lost earnings. I make a point of doing some business on vacation so I can still earn, and write off part of the cost of the vacation.

Gootsie 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow sunshine. If you forget work, but then give 1/2 after you leave doing things for it - noncompensation, you life really isn't fair! I'm confused. And why does that affect your being extra nice to another person? If your life is so bad you can't be nice, then I think you need to rethink things. I think your name should be cloudy_noise.

I check emails is all.

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't think about work when I walk out of the building. When I'm home I'm home and that's what I think about. Even on weekends I don't think about work. Makes is difficult on Monday mornings sometimes, especially when someone asks me about something I did on Friday I have to think about it a while to recall what I did and a lot of times I just don't remember because I've put it out of my mind. I think we Americans work wayyyyy to long hours that we've lowered our quality of life, especially when it comes to spending time with our families. I think this has contributed to the rising violence in our country because we don't have the time to spend with our children and when we do we are so stressed that we become short tempered with them. As I've promoted before that the work week should be shortened to 6 hour days or 4 days a week with 3 day weekends. Those who wish to work longer hours of course have a right to, but I would venture to guess that most Americans would rather spend time home with their families. I for one would like more time with mine and have time to volunteer my time for the elderly. I spend way too much time giving 110% to my job while I am there and sometimes 1/2 after I leave doing things for it - noncompensated. At this point working a full day and raising a grandson by the end of the day I'm too tired to much less be extra nice to another person and on weekends I spend cleaning up from the week's messes and shopping and entertaining my 6 year old so I don't have much time for myself or to help others. Yet, I barely make enough to live on. But who says life is fair anyway?

Bruce Bertsch 6 years, 10 months ago

Vacation is vacation; it is not work at another location for a couple of weeks. There is more to life than work. The world will not stop if we are unavailable for two weeks a year or even a month.

BABBOY 6 years, 10 months ago

Yeah. I do. Otherwise, I would not be able to go. With a good support staff, fax machine, and a cell phone, it is like I never left. It pisses off my wife however. But, clients seem to think they need to talk to me regardless of whether I am on vacation or not. I do try to take at least one vacation a year whereas when I was younger I did not take any at all.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

What? Keep in contact on vacation? What vacation? Vacation is the worst idea ever thought up. What a way to mess up the continuity and synergy that is nurtured in the work place.