Previous   Next

Do you think the state should require voters to provide a photo ID before their vote will count?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going to say no, just because it would only slow down the entire voting process.”

“Yes, I do. I think everyone should be accounted for, and I think that’s the easiest way to do it.”

“I think so. At this point, a photo ID is already required for so many things, but I understand the point of view of those who don’t have one. I don’t want there to be more barriers for people, but it may help prevent voter fraud.”

“I think it would be useful in avoiding some of the pitfalls that have happened in Florida, and it would definitely cut down on false votes or people voting multiple times.”

Comments

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Considering that social security and the IRS and other government agencies (both state and federal) have declared people dead when they were still quite alive, I don't think requiring ID would stop any kind of voter fraud anyway.

Many a loved one has battled for MONTHS or YEARS to get dead people declared alive again by the government, or to convince them that they are indeed dead when the government argues that they're still alive.

Maybe they should have a list handy of recently deceased people. Although that could include thousands of names, and names being what they are, it's quite possible that more than one person could have the same name as a dead person listed.

As for the person who pointed out that a driver's license shown for registration purposes does not have to have the current address...this doesn't make sense to me. Voter registration is based on your address to begin with. And if people are following the law (not that all of them do) if your address changes, you are supposed to apply for a new ID or driver's license with the new addy within ten days.

I fear that, in their quest to mollify their paranoia, people are overreacting and seem to be willing to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Remember, folks, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, especially if the government is handling it. If it can be messed up somehow, rest assured that the government will find a way to do just that.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

"Pretty much the last bastion of someone on the loosing end of the argument."

Yeah RETICENT_IRREVERENT, you better tighten up your end of the argument. AS$ BEST is having trouble comprehending [feign surprise].

AS$ BEST,

I'm not sure if this statement (authored by yourself) means what you think it means:

"You just also gave an EXCELLENT example of disenfranchisement of LEGAL US CITIZEN VOTERS"

Disenfranchisement (kudos, you got the spelling!), of legal voters would mean that those legal voters are being pushed away from voting for some reason or another--in fact, the proposed measure is exactly what people like me are worried will disenfranchise voters.

The situation R_I described was a hypothetical example of how a non-citizen could still commit voter fraud if they wanted to under the proposed measure (do you see that it does not affect the ability of a legal voter to vote?). The point being that the ID cards do nothing to stop the type the type of voter fraud you are talking about--illegal immigrants casting ballots.

The only type of fraud an ID card will prevent is people who might try to scan obituaries or go to the polls early to try and steal votes. While I don't personally feel that this type of fraud has any meaningful effect on any election--because it is such a low percentage. I do, however, understand that it might cause concern if done in tandem with many other people for an organized purpose. Therefore, ID cards would be an acceptable compromise, so long as they were easily accesible and FREE (credit to munkyspunk).

=======================================

"PEROIOD! That is what this is about. Not about a bunch of dead people voting, but MILLIONS of illegals voting."

Is a perioid some sort of insult? Or is it a slang term for illegal voting? Oh, I know--it's a really similar to a period, like maybe a comma?

=======================================

"Problem is that Kansas is handing out DL's and ID's to illegal aliens. NOw they can vote even though they are not legal residents."

Good point, asbestos! I know several men and women from Mexico that may be illegals, and they all have some form of driver's license. An EXCELLENT example of why this measure to require ID won't stem this supposed dominating force of illegal hispanics voting.

And here I was, thinking you were in FAVOR of requiring identification to vote. My apologies.

========================================

One final thing, ASBESTOS--

You posted both of these statements:

1) "GOod one... very intelligent and highbrow.

2) "Fine it is clerk of the court. What is your point ther dumb butt? It is STILL ILLEGAL!!"

Do you see what I find so rip-roaringly HILAAARIOUS about those two statements? In the first, you criticize someone for being witless and lowbrow, and in the second, you call that person a "dumb butt". Hmmmmmmm...

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

"As to your poorly formed and unsupported arguments, I do not have any knowlege of the depth your naturalization classes delve into voting regulations."

You appear to be a cut and past yahoo, and truley the one that is POORLEY INFORMED!

"See me again when you are worthy."

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

"BTW, it was the Pledge of Allegiance that was printed in Farsi on that card."

I would expect a DA like you to Post the Pledge in Something other than English, the common language and the language of our laws. You like farsi, go back home then.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

"a. Reviews, inspects, scrutinizes and approves or rejects ballots that have been cast."

Yes the CXanvassing Board CAN reject individual ballots. DA!!!

"This is why when you, ASBESTOS go to the courthouse to register to vote, and you are standing there, ignorant to procedure, your backside bare to the breeze, they do not make you read a card, written in Farsi, and ask you to translate it into English. This is why they allow you, ASBESTOS to register to vote, despite your ingnorant, inflammed, racial and closeminded backside flapping in the wind."

Yeah, our laws are written in English. If you are going to live here you need to learn english as our laws are written in that language and Farsi is quite well uncommon.

ANother bastion of of losing the argument... labeling me a racist. GOod one, play the race card when you are losing the argument... very intelligent and highbrow.

You are a loser!

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

"To help those, like myself, who are not as brilliant as yourself, would you please point me to anyone here who claimed to want illegals to have the right to vote?"

THAT is exactly what this law is trying to stop, voting by illegals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So we come to the second part of the problem: that state-issued ID and the money it costs, which I do consider an unconstitutional poll tax."

$12.50. That is what it costs. IF the Republican and Democratic parties are so concerned about voter fraud, let's spend the money on getting citizens a $12.50 Kansas ID card. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"3.) The Douglas County, Kansas Election Official who could "help" to change and rectify this so called "blind spot" (astute individuals would not call this a "blind spot", they would use the phrase "oversight" or "loophole"), Would be the Douglas County, Kansas Clerk of Court."

"Voter registration rules are statewide, not county by county."

Again thank you for making my point, there is a law existing, that the person MUST BE a LEGAL resident of the State of Kansas.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Sorry to point out your spelling errors."

Pretty much the last bastion of someone on the loosing end of the argument. Much like Holy Grail Ale, and you do sound and post like that um er person.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Which would one present?"

I guess you are too stupid to vote then aren't you. The State makes the law in the state, and that would be the Kansas ID. Problem is that Kansas is handing out DL's and ID's to illegal aliens. NOw they can vote even though they are not legal residents.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

ASBESTOS,

1.) "Isn't it embarrasing to unzipp your fly in public?" a. I did not unzip my fly in public. Notice that unzip is spelled with only one p.
b. It does appear though that I am wearing pants. From your incorrectly formed arguments, it appears that your whole backside is feeling a breeze.

2.) The Douglas County, Kansas Canvassing Board has no authority to act on any issue concerning fraudulent voter registration. The canvassing board: a. Reviews, inspects, scrutinizes and approves or rejects ballots that have been cast. b. Certifies the election results. c. Sends the certified results to the state election board The only action the canvassing board can take is to reject all ballots cast by anyone registered to vote in Douglas County, Kansas, Nullifying the whole election. Everyone who registers to vote, whether it be at the Courthouse, or through the mail, is required to sign the same document, making the same sworn statement.

3.) The Douglas County, Kansas Election Official who could "help" to change and rectify this so called "blind spot" (astute individuals would not call this a "blind spot", they would use the phrase "oversight" or "loophole"), Would be the Douglas County, Kansas Clerk of Court. The Clerk of Court, could recommend changes to the State Election Board, but could not make changes directly. Voter registration rules are statewide, not county by county. This is why when you, ASBESTOS go to the courthouse to register to vote, and you are standing there, ignorant to procedure, your backside bare to the breeze, they do not make you read a card, written in Farsi, and ask you to translate it into English.

Sorry to point out your spelling errors. (I am assuming that you attended English as a second language classes.)
As to your poorly formed and unsupported arguments, I do not have any knowlege of the depth your naturalization classes delve into voting regulations. . . The only form of I.D. that would be appropriate for voter Identification is a U.S. Passport. This would most likely be deemed unconstitutional.

There is fault with a passport as voter ID. (Besides it being too restrictive.) Many of us fellow Americans hold dual citizenship. Two passports, each from a different country. One by ius soli, the other by ius sanguinis. Which would one present? (ASBESTOS, ius soli and ius sanguinis are latin phrases, right of soil and right of blood, respectively) (ASBESTOS, respectively means the latter and the former are in the same order pattern. I know some who have come to aquire English as a second language have difficulty understanding it.) . . . BTW, it was the Pledge of Allegiance that was printed in Farsi on that card.

PotSmokinRepublican 7 years, 3 months ago

But the state must provide free ID cards for those who do not have other forms of government issued ID.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 3 months ago

Until photo IDs are free of charge and are widely and fairly distributed, requiring ID at a voting place is tantamount to a POLL TAX, which, ladies and germs, is unconstitutional. Jim Crow Laws anyone?

I myself wish there was another way to ensure that people who are supposed to be voting are the ones who indeed are, but THIS is not the way.

badger 7 years, 3 months ago

No sir, I don't like it one bit.

I looked at the list of things, and heck, I could fake myself a retirement community card or student ID card pretty easily. In the days when I sold beer, we didn't take student IDs for precisely that reason. So, if there were an ID requirement, I'd insist on a valid, state-issued, controlled-access photo ID as the only really effective way to guarantee that one is who one says. Credit cards can be stolen, and JP Morgan could be Joseph Patrick or Julie Pauline, without picture ID. So, anything short of state-issued, controlled access (meaning one agency gives them out so they all look the same and have the same 'marks' to designate legitimate IDs) ID card and I have to call my tax dollars wasted on a frivolous, do-nothing, posturing placebo.

So we come to the second part of the problem: that state-issued ID and the money it costs, which I do consider an unconstitutional poll tax. If you don't drive, don't buy beer or cigarettes, don't fly, and don't write checks, then the only reason you'd need to pay the money for a photo ID would be to vote, and there we have that whole 'making people pay a fee for the means to vote' bit, and I have a problem with that.

So, yeah, if there were a way to do this that didn't waste my tax dollars and let pass every Joe Blow with access to a laser printer and a laminating machine, and didn't effectively require payment of a fee to vote, I'd guardedly support it. But this, this is not the program that will solve the problem, because it's just yet another crappy band-aid slapped on a major problem to look like someone somewhere is doing something and it wastes my money, prevents actual problems of voter fraud from getting the attention they deserve, and (as seen on this comment board) encourages ignorant loudmouths to be xenophobic and ugly.

Pfeh.

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

I am a dim wit, yet you, oh mighty ASBESTOS are a beacon of brilliance that shines beyond the shores of human comprehension. I am humbled to be in your presence.

To help those, like myself, who are not as brilliant as yourself, would you please point me to anyone here who claimed to want illegals to have the right to vote? Would you please quote them and the time of day when the post was made so the rest of us could see it. Me, with my oh so dim brain, couldn't find it. Unless, of course, you are joking. I am too dim to appreciate a jolly jest.

Further, oh one with the great big head hence your voting for George W. Bush not once -- but twice!, please note that I actually support the idea of asking voters to show an ID. But of course you knew that, being as how you are so obviously the brightest bulb on the marquee.

In the meantime, how does spending money on a war in Iraq help keep illegals from Mexico and other countries further South out of our (or should I only call it your) country. Please enlighten me, as I can't quite see this with my little half-a-watt bulb for a brain. Also, if our government spends too much money on prosecuting "Scooter" Libby, should we not complain about that expense either? What if they don't spend enough on road repair? I'm confused on when we should complain -- voter IDs -- and when we shouldn't -- Iraq war. Please provide us with the answers, oh Mr. Super Smart LJW Poster.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

"I also do not understand the part where it says I can face a penalty of up to 17 months in prison for submitting a false application. "

AND

"Make it a one year mandatory jail sentence for first offense for knowingly hiring an illegal. Five years second offense. If a CEO doesn't impliment new hiring proceedures to check for national status, then the CEO also serves the time. If the jobs dry up, so will the illegal immigration problem."

As is stated in posts, THESE are EXISTING LAWS! THey need to be enforced. People break the law if they know there will be no consequences. After all cheating on the vote is no big deal is it? I can hear the AL BORE supporters still squealing. That was my point there crazy KS. Can you read?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

You got that tin foil hat handy, Asbestos?

Gee...the guy was only making a point about how fraud could still occur...not stating that he was going to do it.

Nothing quite like overreacting, is there? Maybe you should zip your own fly...

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

Yahoos like you bea. You make this a non issue when it is AN ISSUE.

I do not want to hear another person whine about "disenfranchisment" or all the money spent on the war, until the illegal aliens and citizens of other countries are having theri bills paid by their country of origin.

You bea are a dimwit.

Half a watt bulb maybe.

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

"YOu yahoos want to allow non citizens to vote"

Who exactly called for non-citizens to have the right to vote? Was there someone one here listed as "you_yahoos" who has since been banned? I must have missed it. Otherwise, Asbestos, you are simply applying what you want people to be thinking, rather than what they are actually thinking.

You want to stop illegal immigration in this country? Don't go after something silly like voter IDs. Make it a one year mandatory jail sentence for first offense for knowingly hiring an illegal. Five years second offense. If a CEO doesn't impliment new hiring proceedures to check for national status, then the CEO also serves the time. If the jobs dry up, so will the illegal immigration problem. End of story. Of course, that would be going after the people with the money, and that will never happen here in the good old U.S. of A.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

Because now you just let the Douglas County Canvassing board know where they had a blind spot and that is being closed as we speak.

You just also gave an EXCELLENT example of disenfranchisement of LEGAL US CITIZEN VOTERS, and at the same time showed why illegal aliens need to be deported so we can regulate those that come here legally the B-1-B Visas and such. You also made an argument valid agains givein out more "Green Cards" and the "Guest Worker Program" and exposed the parties that want those are really "fishing for voters" at the expense of legal citizens.

Isn't it embarrasing to unzipp your fly in public?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Lets look at this hypothetically...

I am a non U.S. citizen, but I have a work permit, I-688B or an I-766. (Green Card). I am 18 years old. I have an apartment.

I show my passport, pass the vision test, pass my spanish language drivers license test, and pass my practical driving test. I am now the proud possessor of a Kansas DL.

I now cruise the information superhighway, and go to: http://www.douglas-county.com/clerk/pdf_files/VoterRegApp.pdf

I fill it out, skipping of course the naturalization number blank, (I am not naturalized) and because I do not totally understand english, I sign the box where it says I am a U.S. citizen. I also do not understand the part where it says I can face a penalty of up to 17 months in prison for submitting a false application. I send in a copy of my D.L. with the application.

14 days later I am a registered voter in Douglas County, KS.

Voting day rolls around, and even if I have to show a photo I.D., My newly obtained Kansas D.L., It appears that I can vote.

So... Just how is having to show a photo I.D. (That is not a U.S. passport) going to prevent me from election fraud, and voting illegally?

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

So today I read they are going to regulate "illegal voting" and the other day we saw an article on "illegal unions" seems to be a trend

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

"Illegals already use fraudulent measures to obtain jobs... drivers licenses... free health care at hospital emergency rooms... and in some cases, welfare benefits."

Mexico has about 20,000,000 votes in this country too and add in all their "byproducts" and they have a voting block of about 30,000,000.

THAT is what this is about Namely legal American CITIZENS becoming DISENFRANCHISED becaous of the influs of ILLEGAL ALIEN VOTERS.

WHY the hell do you guys think both parties want "amnesty"? So they can buy that vote, or so they think. The majority of American citizens in multiple polls WANT ID at the voting booth and WANT illegal aliens activity stopped and illegals deported.

How will they vote? ANti Gay Marriage! In favor of opening the border, and in favor of racist pro hispanic political stances. Pro Mexico and central American trade at the expense of the American worker (whom is usually A union Member voting democrat). Did you notice that the AFL-CIO is backing anti illegal immigration issues and are at odds twith the democratic party? They are also in favor of VOTER ID.

GONE is the day that nobody had a legitimate ID. Additionally logic, I DO NOT want the polling places and the election committe handing out ID's.

Having a Government issued ID to vote is NOT a big deal. As if these people do not have a Social Security Card and do not get Social Security benefits.

Your arguments do not take into account just how in danger democracy is.

YOu yahoos want to allow non citizens to vote, that is the ONLY REASON to promote NO ID's at the polling places. There is NO ONE disenfranchised by it, on the contrary, if ID's are not starting to be required, legal American Citizens become disenfranchized and their votes are then meaningless.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB,

My keyboard isn't broken, as I was using the caps (I'll assume that is to what you are referring) lock to emphasize the important phrases in my point. Sometimes asbestos needs it spelled out for him. I also find it a bit weird that you would point out my use of caps (again assuming that was your intent) when asbestos is using it willy nilly, with random caps here and there.

Unless of course, you were poking fun, in which case, it's not important :)

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

"I'll concede that widespread voter fraud from illegals is probably not a very big concern--YET"

Did your Magic Eight Ball answer with "It is decidedly so!" when you asked it the illegal voter fraud question? By your own admission it isn't a problem and you can only imagine it being one in the future. If it isn't a problem, why make a big deal out of it? Seriously.

And if we are concerned with voter fraud, we also need to do away will voting at home.

logic: No, the homeless shouldn't have the right to vote. We should allow only the landed gentry to voice their opinions on naming the next King.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

I have been thinking about this all day, and here is my final post on the subject: I reserve the right to revise the finality of this post*

While the notion of requiring an ID to vote makes me very nervous--especially since it is being done to solve a problem that isn't really significant--I would be willing to compromise.

Why don't we make a voter identification card part of the regrstration process? When you register, you would recieve your registration card as well as an ID card, which you could then take to the polls. It would address my concern of the IDs reducing voter turnout, as the process would be very similar. It would also solve the problem mentioned earlier of people scanning obituaries to find unused votes to spend--the only person who would recieve that ID card would be the person who was registered to vote.

I don't think that any kind of ID that would require a voter to spend their own money is legal, though. You cannot create a monetary prerequisite for voting, even if the amount is small and assessed indirectly. The link to the Ohio regulations are troubling because all of the accepted forms of ID require money.

Honest question: do the homeless have a right to vote?

Thoughts, anyone?

=============================

Agnostick, thanks for the assist; I must've glossed right over that post.

Agnostick 7 years, 3 months ago

logicsound: Your 10:45am concerns were quite eloquently addressed by ohjayhawk at 10:48 and 10:49.

I'll concede that widespread voter fraud from illegals is probably not a very big concern--YET (and no, my caps lock key didn't get stuck). Illegals already use fraudulent measures to obtain jobs... drivers licenses... free health care at hospital emergency rooms... and in some cases, welfare benefits.

And no, these types of scams are not exclusive to illegal immigrants--plenty of homegrown native-borns engage in this kind of crime, too.

It's impossible to completely eliminate voter fraud--but we can take reasonable steps to minimize it.

I don't think anyone's looked at the other side of this ballot, either.

Nobody goes to the polls with a gun to their head; we go to the polls and vote because we WANT to. We go because it's IMPORTANT TO US. We go because we're PASSIONATE about our nation, and we feel we NEED to PARTICIPATE. I think I can say, with a fair amount of surety, that those of us asking for some kind of voter verification aren't asking for anything we wouldn't be willing to do ourselves. If the law says I have to show up at the polls with two forms of photo ID, a recent utility bill, and a medium-point black-ink ballpoint pen... then I'm going to get these things together and plan ahead because voting is important to me. I'll spend @ 8 hours between now and April 15th getting my taxes taken care of--I'll gladly spend an hour and a couple of phone calls making sure I have what I need to cast my ballot.

And no, contrary to what you might believe, illegals are not "already prevented from participating." The state of Kansas hands out driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

Perhaps it's those that least value their citizenship--are the ones that are most willing to give it away.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

i_p,

Your parents taught you what life was about So you grew up the type they warned you about They said your friends were just an unruly mob And you should get a haircut and get a real job

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

jonas -

from today's LJW article -

"Huelskamp's measure has a list of acceptable photo identification including driver's license, employment badge, credit card, neighborhood association, retirement center, school, military, buyer's club, passport, public assistance or from the state revenue department."

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

how bout this. In order to vote we would all need to take a vote test. This test would make sure we all understand why we are voting and who we need to vote for. We could establish a tax that would fund this testing and oversee the regulations.

I think 1 billion should cover the expenses

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

When I look at the photo on my DL, I realize that I'm slowly becoming Gabby Hayes.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

If it's good enough for Bone777 then who am I to argue?

Bone777 7 years, 3 months ago

This was discussed yesterday in the article titled "Proposal Would Require Photo I.D. To Vote."

At that time I convinced everyone on the board that this was a good idea. I feel that it would be redundant to begin again, so just take my word for it.

Yes to I.D.s and logicsound04 didn't know what they were talking about yesterday, either.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

State issued ID card. It costs money as well and you can get them at the DMV.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Out of curiosity, what would people do who can't drive, for one reason or another? What other official ID's could be used?

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

sgt, you are so very welcome.

Bowhunter -- I thought for sure you would say that if people didn't show their IDs then something bad would happen to someone's mother. Are you going soft on us?

RI -- It wasn't lame, it was lamb!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, TOB, I'm confident the supporters are preparing to turn Logic's concerns into mutton.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

R_I - I think Bea will sheepishly go all Damn, Bea! on you. That's how she traverses on the BIG! OTS message board.

LogicSound - I'm sure the supporters are huddled together in a cyber corner eagerly addressing each and every one of your concerns. Be patient. And you might want to get a new keyboard. The one you've been using is apparently broken.

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

I cant believe I overlooked making a response to this one. Does everyone understand that if you show your id the people at the voting pole will also know your address not to mention your real age and weight?? No more pulling the "WOOL" over thier eyes

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

bea, Sheep?

Damn bea, thats lame. At least you called me a "semi-conscious reversable antichrist"

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

"This is a nothing issue -- fight the real fights."

If that's the case, then why is this measure necessary?

And I STILL haven't had any of the supporters of this law address my concerns... (logicsound04 @ 10:45am)

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Good one, innocuous...too bad everyone doesn't appreciate your humor...

Maybe ink is the way to go, huh? Once you've voted, they dip your finger in ink that won't wash away for awhile.

It was good enough for Iraq, wasn't it?

So if you showed up and said you hadn't voted, and had no ink on your finger, they'd know the guy that came in before claiming to be you really wasn't.

Unfortunately, since ballots are secret and you're not required to put your name on them, they would have no idea of knowing which vote the other guy cast earlier in the day.

Bowhunter99 7 years, 3 months ago

ID should be required to vote. I can't believe it's not required...

quit whinning about privacy, etc... It's the damned driver's license you so anxiously got when you were a kid... so don't tell me you don't have one...

if you don't have one? great... then GO GET ONE... you have 2 years until the next election.... WOULD THAT BE ENOUGH TIME FOR YOU?????

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

"however I am not going to stoop to degrading a complete stranger because they do not agree with me." What IDIOT wrote that?

If only grocery stores put photos on their shopper "discount" cards, that would help matters tremendously.

I don't have a problem with asking voters to prove they are who they say they are. I just think if you are asked to show your id, shouldn't you show your super-ego as well?

But seriously folks, a similar proposal was adopted here in AZ this year. There wasn't any problem and Democrats made strong gains locally, and in the Congressional House. Sweet. It apparently didn't hurt the outcome in favor of those heavily id'ed Reps.(?) Most who forgot to bring their id returned home, got it, then made it back to the poles. No big deal. This is a nothing issue -- fight the real fights.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

I see that Caps Lock keys are getting stuck as fists clench and forehead veins begin to throb.

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

You are all a bunch of sheep!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone called anyone else a sheep today? I hope I didn't miss that. That's something I always enjoy from political pillow fights.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

"FOr all you assinine dems and liberals that think that George Bush "STOLE" elections in 2000 and 2004 and continually harp on that, THEN you trun around and oppose the main hting that would guarntee that that would not happen again (if it did in the first place)."

If we're the definition of hypocrites, then I guess you are the definition of an IDIOT.

The 2000 and 2004 election problems HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH VOTER FRAUD AT THE POLLS. 2000's problem was a man who wasn't even popularly elected filing a lawsuit to stop a VALID RECOUNT. The 2004 problem was the very same problem this bill would CREATE--poor and black voting districts being made to jump through hoops in order to cast their vote, with reports that some people didn't get to vote.

========================================

"HOW can you defent that paradox?"

The only paradox is the fact that you would make such stupid comments, and yet somehow act like you have the intelligent 'high ground'.

nudist 7 years, 3 months ago

Blue for democrats and red for republicans? Pink for girls Blue for boys?

I guess both ideas will need at least one more color, won't they?

It is a bit "nippy" isn't it?

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

nudist, I hope you are being careful when you go outdoors while the weather is so chilly.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

But hitme, what color ink should we use? That could be more contentious than any other issue!

Napoleon_Dynomite 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm keeping a list of your comments and turning it in.

militant 7 years, 3 months ago

What's next, registering guns?

person_of_interest 7 years, 3 months ago

As far as asking for an ID goes....I don't have a problem with it at all.

It is reasonable. You should be able to prove who you are....so that you can only vote once (or where you should be voting).

I was speculating on the "other possible reasons" behind this measure......such as the desire by some to keep illegals from voting.....

nudist 7 years, 3 months ago

What if we don't have fingers? What do we dip then?

hitme 7 years, 3 months ago

I think we should dip our fingers in ink too.

person_of_interest 7 years, 3 months ago

Bozo,

Relax, my friend. I'm not advocating this measure....I am/was playing devil's advocate.

I am aware that there are quite a few posters here who (try) to get under your skin.....I, however, am not one of them.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

ANother BOZO answer:

""Rajneesh at Quick Trip to check your id before you can buy beer or cigs"

Completely apples and oranges. When you go in to vote, you are already preregistered as a unique, qualified voter, who lives within that voting precinct. You identify yourself, they check to see if you are on that list, and you sign in and vote."

If you use a credit card they already know all that as well. If you use the ATM they know that as well. What is your point. THe Beer and Cigs ID requirement is to verify AGE, not ID. DUH!

ASBESTOS 7 years, 3 months ago

You are the definition of "HYPOCRITES". YOu bitch about an "illegal election win", then to prove your stupid worthless POV, you champion no ID at the voting booth.

DO you honestly think that the rest of us are supposed to take you seriously and or intelligent?

HOW can you defent that paradox?

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I think what compmd says is done in IL is the way to go. We have a voter registration card, but it is not able to be used as ID when voting (which makes no sense). I also remember having a voter registration card when I lived in KS. Why don't they make the voter registration card a valid ID option since it sounds like it is common practice to give one to every registered voter? Of course, that is probably too simple a solution.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

welcome, lorrah...these people here degrade each other so much just 'cos they're sharing the love! you oughta feel grateful marion hasn't chimed in on this issue...

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

The Dwead Piwate Wove is after your souls! Thewe will be no survivors!

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

Bozo - while Rajneesh may be there every time, the volunteers at my voting place are not. Plus, at their age, how would they remember who I was anyhow?!

Lorrah 7 years, 3 months ago

It is completely impossible to state one's opinion without being rude? Where have our manners gone when we can not simply state yes or no and explain ourselves without stopping to insult someone we do not know. One of the great things about being human is the ability to make our own decisions and have our own opinions. There is no reason to assume someone has never voted simply because they haven't ever experienced a problem with lines at polls. I have voted many, many times without ever encountering a line. I think our system works quite well as it is and there is no reason to mess with a good thing, however I am not going to stoop to degrading a complete stranger because they do not agree with me.

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

Signature verification has been done in Illinois for a long time. I had to present my [free] paper voter registration card that had my name, address, voting districts, and signature on it. The polling places in my district had books of the names, addresses, and images of the signatures of people who could vote there. If you showed up and voted, you got checked off. Very simple. What's wrong with that?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"Rajneesh at Quick Trip to check your id before you can buy beer or cigs"

If there is any fraud involved, particularly if it is on a scale that will affect the outcome of elections, it's easily detectable. And the fact is, this is NOT a problem anywhere. But creating hurdles to prevent qualified voters from voting is a documented problem, and that's what really drives this non-issue.

BTW, if Rajneesh at Quick Trip is a regular stop for you, I'll bet he doesn't check that ID after the first couple of times.

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually, I would be okay with even showing a voter registration card rather than a photo id. Just some proof that you are who you say you are. It just seems ridiculous to me that a poll worker has to trust you yet the gov't requires Rajneesh at Quick Trip to check your id before you can buy beer or cigs. Which process is more important?

Gootsie 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Ceallach nailed it! It is important and yes, I think it should be done.

And that's the truth. PFFFFT

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

"It's a way to keep the "illegals" from participating from/in the election process."

They are already prevented from participating. But it's certainly worked to whip up your hysteria.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Here's the link to the Secretary of State's website showing the requirements:

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

In this past general election in Ohio, we had to show a form of ID for the first time. Although it could be a drivers license or photo ID, it was not limited to an ID with a picture. A person could also show a bank statement, a utility bill, a paycheck, or any gov't-issued document with the person's name and current address on it. If you use a photo ID, however, the address does not have to be current.

person_of_interest 7 years, 3 months ago

Illegals make up the lion's share of the reasoning behind this measure.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, 'illegals' aren't the only group of people that may not have an ID.

=======================================

Good points, bretherite.

=======================================

Okay, proponents of this measure, how do you suggest we get around these two problems:

1) you cannot have any monetary requirement to vote--and an ID costs money, no?

2) do absentee voters have to show ID? The answer is OBVIOUSLY 'no', in which case, why the double-standard?

person_of_interest 7 years, 3 months ago

Bud, I think you just put your finger on the real reason why this idea/proposal is controversial.

This idea/proposal is, indeed, an attempt at trying to help figure out who is "legal"...and who is not.

bretherite 7 years, 3 months ago

Acutally some states have found that requiring Photo ID is unconstitutional. There is an interesting case before the 7th circuit to determine whether Indiana's statute requiring state-issued photographic voter identification is constitutional. One argument raised by the plaintiff's is that the cost of obtaining identification constitutes an unconstitutional poll tax. Plaintiff's also argue that regulations do not apply equally to all voters i.e. absentee voters. Furthermore, going to the DMV is too difficult to get to for those who do not live near an office and thus constitutes an undue burden. And the Missouri and Georgia have also found this to be unconstitutional. If they want to give some type of Photo Id for no charge then I think it would fly but as long as the ID has to be paid for it is going to be considered an unconstitutional tax.

person_of_interest 7 years, 3 months ago

Sure. Why not?

Seems like a reasonable request/idea.

salad 7 years, 3 months ago

They already tried this in Missouri (this year) and it was struck down as unconstitutional. The problem is with making sure that every person can be provided with a FREE photo ID, and for the elderly and disabled who don't have drivers licenses and are home bound it violated their right to vote. There was also the issue of absentee ballots. It looks good on the surface, but it's unworkable and unconstitutional with our current technology.

Esq2eB 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Democrats should be required to show ID.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

blue, Anything I on my person is crumpled and wadded up in my front pocket or clipped to my pants.
I may not know where my wallet is, but I always know where my pants are.

I do not very often have ID on my person. Just as I generally do not take keys out of Ignition switches. I do have my DL in the visor when operating my personal vehicle. Motorcycle... no. And yes, once or twice an officer has said, "Ronaldo, please keep your DL with you". "Please slow down, and have a nice day Mr. Ignacio".

How about this for size... I will present my passport at a polling station before voting, but only as long as no registration is required.

Lists, lists are evil, vile, exclusionary, persecutory.

Santa Claus- makes Lists - Evil McCarthy - made lists - Evil Baseball Writers Assoc. - makes lists - Evil Stalin - made lists - Evil Guido von List - Evil

The road to hell is paved with lists. It just never ends.

bangaranggerg 7 years, 3 months ago

They should also require them to provide a vote that's not stupid. You stupid voters.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Wait, logic, how would it favor certain classes?

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

"Yes. If you aren't trying to pull a scam, what's the big deal?"

Hey Oxymoron (conservativepunker),

Don't read much, do you? There have been several posts as to why this measure is a 'big deal'. Or do you just assume that all of those people are "trying to pull a scam"?

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

This a very dangerous law because of how "reasonable" it sounds. Unfortunately, not all problems with various laws are apparent on the surface.

This law would DEFINITELY reduce voter participation, and the fact that it wouldn't necessarily favor a party (which is refutable) is irrelevant. It WOULD favor certain classes, and according to U.S. laws, you cannot create an voting requirement that may result in restricting a certain class, creed, or color.

This proposal is ridiculous. Don't our lawmakers need to be working on problems like education funding and balancing the state budget? Hell, I'd like to see them give a serious go at some sort of universal health coverage before we start demanding IDs at the polls to vote.

conservativepunker 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes. If you aren't trying to pull a scam, what's the big deal?

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

"That's funny, I don't think having identification AT THE POLLS will change anything about REGISTRATION FRAUD. They are two different problems." Requiring an ID to vote would make it more difficult for a voter with a bad registration to actually cast a ballot. Yes, the no-audit-trail electronic voting is a huge issue also. I've exchanged emails with Jim March, one of the people who let the cat out of the Diebold bag.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Innocuous: You know, the problem with that parable is that the farmer probably just blamed the weeds on his neighbors, when in reality it was caused by his sloppy farming work. I mean really, "I'm going to get back at old man Johnson down the way! What am I going to do, I'm going to sneak down to his field at night AND PLANT WEEDS THERE MWAHAHAHAHA!" What a stupid evil plan that would be.

I'm going to have to agree with logicsound. Electronic voting machines with no paper trail worry me a whole hell of a lot more than ID'less voting.

Neither worry me too terribly much, as it doesn't seem to really matter, in my opinion, who actually gets elected into office.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

For the past 7 years, horror tales of vast conspiracies regarding voting irregularities have been floating up from the sinister side of the aisle. Actually from both sides, to be fair.

logicsound04 7 years, 3 months ago

"I think it is a very good idea to require ID at the polls. Do a web search on 'voter registration fraud'."

========================================

"This is not a measure to help the voting process. This is a way to control. This is a way to restrict. This is a way to reduce voter participation."

I agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I find it hilarious that THIS is the polling security issue we would prefer to focus on rather than the fact that many precincts want to use (or are already using) digital voting machines with no paper trail. That worries me a hell of a lot more than Jim from down the street trying to cast two votes.

It seems like with the digital machines, there is MUCH more potential for widescale election manipulation, rather than this "illegal immigrants are trying to vote in droves" myth that proponents of this bill would have you believe.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

It must be exciting to see the shadows behind everything!

optimist 7 years, 3 months ago

Objections noted and I find them to be absurd. Assuming concern about slowing down voting or discouraging voter participation is true the argument can't be made for the reduction in legal participation favoring any party. Absent that there is no legal obstacle here. There is no provision in the Constitution requiring a speedy vote. I mean really, one would refrain from performing their civic duty because it took a little too long.

I'd like to know exactly where those opposed to ID draw the line. Should one even be required to identify themselves at the polls? Is it an unreasonable obstacle to require one to sign their name certifying they are who they say they are? I mean what about those who don't have fingers or hands, those who are illiterate? If you don't have photo ID you can easily obtain one at the DMV. I find it difficult to believe anyone over 18 can get along without having photo ID. It is required for practically everything.

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

Of course voters should be required to show photo id. You can get an identification card at the local dmv. Is writing a check or using a credit card more important than voting? Psst, the answer is "no." By voting we take part in determining the directions our city, state and country will take . . . photo id should be required.

btw, my daughter is doing pretty well, she is scheduled for radiation next week. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 3 months ago

This is just another Rovian style distraction. Get the ignorant boobs all worked up over a non-existent problem, and create a "solution" whose only real effect will be to decrease voter participation-- the real goal of this law.

And in the meantime, a lot of time and energy has been spent debating this, meaning that real, important issues are ignored-- the other real goal of this exercise in stupidity.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

"Posted by jonas (anonymous) on January 16, 2007 at 6:52 a.m. (Suggest removal) chuckle. Yep, cuz if you find on the internet, it's gotta be true." There are both wheat and tares in the mix.

Agnostick 7 years, 3 months ago

Photo ID should be required to vote.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, for the love of all that is holy. Good grief--I don't ever want to show up at the polling place in the afternoon only to be told that "I" already voted first thing that morning. There is no way I could prove it wasn't me earlier in the day, is there?

And what of all the dead people voting--an old and long tradition in Chicago, for one place. Organized crime in bigger cities can and has made good use of the names of recently (hence still registered) deceased, sending fraudulent voters from precinct to precinct to vote multiple times in the names of the departed.

While we don't (I hope) have mob-organized fraud around here, it is unbelievably naive to think that similar fraud, on a smaller scale, would not exist in smaller communities. And in smaller communities, it wouldn't take THAT many fraudulent votes to throw some elections.

I'm always amazed when tin-foil-hat folks get all paranoid about their "freedoms" and "rights" when they are simply asked to prove that they are who they say they are--whether for voting or for writing a check. Yet they'd be the first ones to sue (the municipality or a retailer) if someone was allowed to vote in their stead or (having stolen their check book) write checks all over town, never being asked to show a picture ID.

Guess what, paranoids? It's not for Big Brother's nefarious purposes. It's for YOUR protection.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Trinity, I don't know about Kansas, but I do know that in Michigan it's the easiest thing to walk into a Secretary of State and get a photo ID. Before I started driving, I had one.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

i vote no-oh wait i can't don't have picture id on me.

i do say no-heck my momma never drove hence never had a dl, ergo no photo id! and i know she's not the only one in that pickle.

sgt, a mlk hangover!!! you rascal you, lol...

hey HAWKS WON, WOOHOO, MUCK FIZZOU! :)

that carol redwing is one very beautiful young lady! that ots interviewer must have an eye, lol

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

Sorry officer, I don't have my drivers license with me. My name is R_I. Just take my word for it.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Was that a song? 'Cuz it really could be. Probably by Green Day.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Why not tattoo a number on the inside of my wrist? Why not inject a radio tracking tag. Why not swab my cheek for DNA sample? Why not require me to provide dental records?

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

chuckle. Yep, cuz if you find on the internet, it's gotta be true.

Damian666 7 years, 3 months ago

I'd like to see everyone with a number tattooed on their forehead.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Nah. I think there should be an ultra-secret handshake. And a special decoder ring.

Who's nursing an MLK Day hangover today?

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

I doubt if Tyler has ever cast a vote. Ya don't get much slower than the poll workers I usually encounter. How much more time does it take to check an ID versus me giving my name verbally? Nada. My answer is yes, require ID.

KS 7 years, 3 months ago

3 out of 4 got it right. There is hope afterall! :)