Previous   Next

What is your favorite holiday confection?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like fudge; plain old fudge without any nuts. The holidays are the only time I get to eat it.”

“Iced sugar cookies. It’s what we always had around our house growing up, and now my wife makes a batch to send out every year.”

“I like the Ferrero Rocher hazelnut chocolates at Christmas time.”

“I’d have to say my mom’s homemade fudge with walnuts.”

Comments

GSWtotheheart 7 years ago

sinus

Oh I thought it said infection

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

There are too many to pick just one!

Sugar cookies, pumpkin rolls, the little cookies with the Hershey's kiss in the middle, the buckeyes, the hard tack, and the list goes on.

jonas 7 years ago

H-Lecter's wonderful briscuit. So tender! So juicy!

Medium rare, please.

canyon_wren 7 years ago

Pralines. I got the recipe from a KU Spanish professor, Maude Elliott, 45 years ago, when I worked at KU's College of Liberal Arts and Science after graduation. She had spent some time in Spain, I think, and got it there. I have made it every year since. It has buttermilk in it which gives it a special "tang." My daughter and I make 4 kinds of candy and about 6 kinds of cookies each year to pass around, but that is always the favorite.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

I used to like powerdered suger cookies but the cops would always stop me claiming probably cause because I had sugar on my nose.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Divinity or peanut brittle. I could go either way.

trinity 7 years ago

peanut butter balls. mmmmmmm mmmmm good.

that's only one in a list of many! :)

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

TOB, fruitcake and I needed some time apart. We're still friends, tho.

EireishHawk 7 years ago

Kourabiedes (Walnut Sugar Cookies) and Rum Balls.

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

R_I - Hard tack is a type of candy. Looking at recipes, the main ingredient seems to be Karo syrup, sugar, and flavoring. The flavoring is usually fruit, mint, cinnamon, etc. It is very sticky during the making of it and is cut into pieces using scissors. Once it cools it is usually coated with powdered sugar. I found one website that has a somewhat decent picture of it here

I usually get mine at the Christmas Bazaar at the church I attended when I lived "back home".

acg 7 years ago

I have two recipes I only make at xmas and they are both freaking awesome. One is my grandma's fudge. It takes longer than traditional fudge but it's worth it. The other is my great grandma's chocolate pecan pie. OMG, everything in the world should taste like that stuff.

Ceallach 7 years ago

Iced sugar cookies have been a favorite since my children were young and we made them each year. Good taste and great memories.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

My grandma's divinity sometimes has nuts in it, or pieces of hard candy. I also like to make cinnamon candy this time of year, which sound like someone's hard tack, except I pour it in a pan, let it cool, and then break it into pieces.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

My Aunt's divinity with black walnuts! My Mom's Swedish spritz...sans icing My neighbor's peanut brittle My hubby's peanut butter balls...um, that seems like a good place to stop! ;)

blackwalnut 7 years ago

No fair, all of you - for not posting the recipes!

JJHawq 7 years ago

Pretzels with the almond bark melted over them...

Bourban balls...

Hot buttered rum...

Nugs... ; )

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

My Grandma's penuche fudge or my Mother-in-law's painted Swedish cookies.

staff04 7 years ago

R_I, thanks for reminding me! Eggenberg Samichlaus gets brewed tomorrow too!

I think I shall celebrate with a bottle of the 2006 vintage...

Grundoon Luna 7 years ago

Aunt Janice's Nut Cups. Ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-oooooh!!! They are like bite sized pecan pies. She lives in Ohio so I have to make them myself if I want them usually, but make them I do 'cuz they're so damn good!!

Don't forget about Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls, Chap?

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

A_A - whereabouts in Ohio? I'd be willing to pay for bite sized pecan pies!

xyz 7 years ago

My grandfather was the candy chef and his spread included peanut brittle, mints, toffee, fudge, almond bark, and probably a few other things that I have forgotten about. It was all fabulous, but my favorite was the toffee. My brothers were partial to the peanut brittle. It was stored in a big glass jar with a metal lid, so the lid would always rattle when they tried to sneak a piece. My grandmother made a zillion types of cookies, so all confection bases were covered at Christmas when I was growing up!!!!! And then there's the pies and coffee cakes.......

Ceallach 7 years ago

Oh, I forgot about Bread Pudding with raisins, pecans and hot buttered rum sauce (JJHawq's post reminded me:)

janeyb 7 years ago

Fudge with black walnuts. -- no nasty inneundo intended.

Confrontation 7 years ago

I'd have to go with Orange Bowl Invite cookies. Here's the link:

GretchenJP 7 years ago

iced sugar cookies and peanut butter fudge

Ceallach 7 years ago

I could use a holiday confection right about now . . . just finished converting my home computer to a wireless connection. It only took me 1 hour and 50 minutes to complete the process that the product estimated would take 20 - 30 minutes!!!! All that because I'm too cheap to call Geek Squad or Geeks on Wheels. Oh well, seems to work now. Is it Friday yet?

Manana! All y'all have a good night.

yourworstnightmare 7 years ago

I would say the flu, followed by salmonella from the lutefisk, and then a bout with MRSA in the paper cuts from wrapping paper.

chapdaddy 7 years ago

I prefer oranges over cotton.......candy.

Confrontation 7 years ago

chapdaddy: Oranges look better in bowls, too.