Previous   Next

How many times have you changed jobs?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m guessing about eight or 10 times. I stayed with some of them from a long time. The others just filled in the gaps until the right position came along.”

“Four. Not very many. Before I went to college, I worked at a bank during the summers. Then I worked for another bank, a dental manufacturer and a retail store. Then I became a mom.”

“Never. I was selected for an internship with British Airways when I was 15 and have been there ever since.”

“At least 24 since I started working when I was 15, if you don’t count the different jobs I had in the Navy. Most of the jobs have been after I got out.”

Comments

DirtyLinen 6 years, 4 months ago

GretchenJP (Anonymous) says:

"You realize, spywell, don't you that it's a conspiracy, right? We were all put on this earth to make your lives hell. Okay Okay I've given away our secret."

Not much of a "secret." :)

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

spywell (Anonymous) says:

"GretchenJP: Not enough,lol. Had plenty lousy jobs though, never had a bad encounter with a woman even though most were bad girls, its seems to be the ones I get stuck with all the time. Crack heads, junkies, women thats been married 5 times and have six kids and none of them belong to any of their former husbands, lol. So I'm single and don't care anymore about women or jobs. I made my own job."

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

Since I was 14 years old, I've had 10 main jobs, not counting main jobs. I've been working for 41 years now. At least I'm doing the job I love now.

spywell 6 years, 4 months ago

My father, when I was young was always calling me a job hopper. Well, I never got fired from any job but I've walked off a lot of bad jobs. I've done just about everything imaginable from Shrimp boats to Oil rigs, from car sales to chemistry labs. $.90 per hour to $23.00 per hour. But you really have to find something that you can retire with and save some money at the same time. I don't ever plan to quit working ever, that is, unless I win the lottery. By then, I'll buy a wig and grow a beard and pretend that I'm an old hillbilly hippy.

spywell 6 years, 4 months ago

RalphReed: Never cared for men either, but I've had the same job for 15 years.

spywell 6 years, 4 months ago

staff04 6 years, 4 months ago

Will soon be starting with my 14th employer. To be fair though, since beginning my "career," I'm currently with my second employer. I started working on a hay crew when I was 13 and have had some kind of employment since then with the exception of about 3 months I spent as an unpaid intern. Technically, you could call that a job I guess...they still expected me to be there every day.

preebo 6 years, 4 months ago

...about 10, from high school 'til now. Two of those came after college and law school.

Ralph Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

spywell

It's also like asking how many men have you slept with?

b3 6 years, 4 months ago

Three, including the army.

coolmom 6 years, 4 months ago

lets see...newspaper carrier, dishwasher, answering service answerer, painter, drywaller, roofer, executive assistant, seater, military police officer, teaching sub, mom, wife. those last two are the hardest, the best and the most important.

spywell 6 years, 4 months ago

Thats like asking how many women have you slept with...?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Quite a few. For the past 17 years I have had the job of husband, and for almost 14 years of those I have taken on the additional responsibility of father.
I never want to change that job.

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

Oops, got reduntant on the "finallys" there... guess I was finally trying to make the point that I've finally found a good job finally. Totally!

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

An embarrassing amount. I think I've finally found my dreamjob though, FINALLY.

DirtyLinen 6 years, 4 months ago

Jobs? I'm heading into my third entire career change! I've been doing that about every ten years, keeps life interesting. Except this time I think I'm heading back to something related to a previous one, no more degrees!

conocybe_lactea 6 years, 4 months ago

I use the sock analogy: when a job gets too smelly it's time to change it.

prospector 6 years, 4 months ago

Never, I only know how to prospect. I quit the only job I had since college after two and a half years and have been self-unemployed ever since. I have a great boss except for the paycheck irregularities, I can only complain to myself. So when you see me sitting at the Free State Brewery bar mumbling to myself, technically I am still working.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 4 months ago

Hmm,dishwasher,furnituremaker's apprentice,Scoth textiles on 10th and NewHampshire,PizzaSHuittle's original crew in '84(83?Its beena while),KU onwheels,Vieux Builders(above BuffaloBob's),Various Barry Tucker projects,Studio Engineer for Disney Productions,OTR driver,EMT and a career drunk for many years...mmm,I think that's it.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

Since moving to Lawrence in 1989, I have had 6 jobs. I worked temp, and then after my daughter was born, I worked two part time jobs. Then I found a full time for almost 8 years, switched when my job left, and worked another job for 7 years, and when I tired of retail, I found my current job two years ago. Between high school and Lawrence, lots of part time jobs...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Golly, too many to tally this early in the morning. Among other things, I've done sawmill work, taught journalism at a small college in MO, sold TVs, driven a long-haul semi, served as an infantry platoon leader, been a mechanic at a bowling alley and worked as a support analyst for a medical software company.

ljwreader1 6 years, 4 months ago

I've had about eight jobs, but never quit any of them. The companies closed or initiated layoffs due to executive mismanagment and fraud. The worst was in Lawrence at NCS Pearson (or whatever it calls itself now). It's nice to have that one in the past and far away.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Since 15...5 times (if we're only counting paying jobs).

southerngirl 6 years, 4 months ago

From the tender age of 15, I think it is 9 or 10 (I'm almost 40 now...) I had a couple of 1-2 year stretches that I didn't work because I was birthin and raisin babies too... d

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm with Ted, minus the navy. Too many to know an exact number.