Previous   Next

Do you take new health and nutrition findings seriously?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 24, 2007

Browse the archives

“It depends on the source. Anytime you see any kind of study come out, you have to look at where it came from and who’s funding it. People aren’t always willing to look into that. Critical thinking is the key.”

“No, not at all. There are just too many different studies to keep up with.”

“It’s kind of tricky when you hear something is good for you one week and the next it causes cancer or something. If it’s something I’ve really looked into, then I take it pretty seriously. Otherwise I don’t pay much attention.”

“Not really. It seems like every time you hear something, it conflicts with another study that has come out.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

It's all marketing propaganda, I say.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

I only pay attention to the ones that. . . damn you Harley!!!

Took my line.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

R.I. I won't ask what search criteria you were using to find that one.

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

No way. They change their minds too often on the same products. Everything is okay, as long as it's in moderation. I don't need a "study" to tell me that too much sugar, fat, meat, whiskey and soda is bad for you. I already know that. I just don't happen to care too much.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

I was brought up on good healthy food and have continued to eat good healthy food all my life and my condition is proof of the benefit of good healthy food. For an older person, I am surprisingly healthy. I don't take the new stuff seriously, BUT my husband is a different kettle of fish. He is always coming to me with the paper in hand and telling me about a new find. New?? ha!! I say. I will just stick to my vegg and grain.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

Of course not. To take them seriously, I'd have to care. And if I really cared, I'd spend all my time taking them seriously, because they're released all the time. And I don't know about you all, but that's not how I want to spend my life. I don't want to spend a lot of time worrying about how I might possibly extend by one or two years the lifespan of a body that's going to wear out no matter what I do -- I want to eat food that tastes good and I want to have a worthwhile existence on earth.

Also, I want to eat chocolate.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

Nah, studies can be slanted to suit your agenda. Like the one the city had done that said roundabouts are fabulous. A long term study from a reliable source I might look at.

Anybody get any of those harrassing calls looking for Lucy Jones last night? I wonder if it was that guy from San Diego again.

redneckwoman 7 years, 4 months ago

No! I love the taste of food too much. I eat everything in moderation,& there's not much I won't eat. According to my recent checkup I'm in really good health.

Bruce Rist 7 years, 4 months ago

AA

i got a call... what was that all about?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Everything in moderation. 'Cept that video. Could have managed w/out that. That guy was seriously creepy.

The LV CO appraisers are out today. Anyone in southern LV co might want to take the time to run home and ugly up the house.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

I got about half a dozen of them. I got fed up and called the police - that is when I could pick up the phone and not have the line already engaged with this nonsense. The dispatcher said that all kinds of people were getting these, even businesses, and they were getting them repeatedly always asking for Lucy Jones.

Apparently this SOB is trying to drive the community nuts. I had some choice words for that dude before I realized that it was a recording(s) and started hanging up on them. The desk seargent said that the number wasn't even a number that would work in the US (818-025-6424, like a real phone number would start with a 0) and that because it wasn't a real number I may not be able to block it. After I called the cops they stopped, but if I got another I was going to unplug the phone and just keep my cell near by.

I recall a while back that some guy who owned a telemarketing firm in California was making harassing calls back to Kansas becuase he was in legal trouble and was doing it for spite I suppose. I wonder if that schmuck is at it again? Sounds like his MO. Anybody remember who that was?

buffalo_star 7 years, 4 months ago

science is the answer! but wait a few years for the revisions. absolutes have become so unpredictable.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

Katie, I was wondering the other day. Do you like to make things in your blender just so you can alert your family to the severe tornado happening in your kitchen and put helmets on all of them?

Like I said, I was just wondering.

james bush 7 years, 4 months ago

The sky is falling anyway(according to globalwarmingists) so might as well eat, drink etc.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

Yes I did see that - it was on the Today show this morning! thanks for sending the link!

Most people around Protection wear helmets all the time anyway...

Jace 7 years, 4 months ago

Are soy beans really good for you?

I hope so.....cuz it sure seems like an awfully lot of foods have soy in them!

Has anyone else here noticed that?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

That video is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthernBelle 7 years, 4 months ago

Posted by Katie_Horner (anonymous) on April 24, 2007 at 12:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

'Have you seen Mike Thomson's commercial? He (without any names) suggests that there is a place that viewers can turn to if they want to be scared (to excess) during severe weather. I'm certainly not going to name any of my next three or four children after him."

that was funny.....

anybody else think there might be a correlation between how excited she gets during tornado season, and how a few months afterwards, we find out she is pregnant again...

BOE 7 years, 4 months ago

T_O_B,

Don't know if you get Wichita's Chan 3, but they had a story last night you can check out.

Surviving Cancer: Loved ones left behind The Rundstrom family

If the shortcut doesn't work just go to

and scroll to the list "Health News" ... should be a story of the same name above. There's a streaming webcast to click on.

BOE 7 years, 4 months ago

T_O_B,

Truth is, I hadn't been to shows or clubs for years so I didn't know much about him, but saw stories and comments at the Wichita Eagle and here.

Anita Cochran (who did the story) did a really nice commentary about him and his music on Chan 3 News after he died.

I'd never seen her do a commentary like that, so she must have been a big fan.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

Larry Steckline? Farm report Larry Steckline?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 4 months ago

Very cool R_I! What do you suppose this means:

Kansasban játszódik Frank L. Baum regenye, az Ãz, a nagy varázsló is, amelynek az elejen egy tornádó rpÃ-ti el Dorothy-t házastul.

budwhysir 7 years, 4 months ago

I think it is great that research soon finds that junk food is good for you. Trans fats are now our future, whatever problems they may bring. I have found that since giving up foods high in fats and sugars, my apetite is smaller and my cholesterol levels have gone down. boy do I feel bad