Previous   Next

When was the latest you’ve ever filed a tax return?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on April 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“Actually, we live with our mom and dad, so we don’t know at the moment when they filed our tax returns.”

“Two weeks ago. I just put it off.”

“Probably about a week ago.”

“Actually, my mom works at H&R Block, so mine are always on time.”

Comments

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

I usually file the first week of Feb, right after I get my w-2. I generally get a refund, though. This year we have to pay on my hubby because of self employment tax and so we're waiting until the last minute. Ya know, out of spite. ; )

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Well. . . if I ever get around to filing taxes for fiscal years 1995 and 1996, then there you have it. Something tells me, though, that I won't. And since it was a high-school p/t job, and the govt. would have to give me a $25-30 dollar refund, I doubt that they care.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

I have never filed a tax return. Only worked for three years before marriage and kids and really don't remember filing a return. No body ever got after me about it, sooooooo. Now my husband's company supposedly pays me and he takes care of the taxes. I never see the money. That is one of the peculiarities of Canadian tax law. It is a salary on the books only. The money gets ploughed back into the company. I don't think that is right but who the heck pays any attention to me?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure. I think I've always managed to get it mailed at least a couple weeks before the deadline. And that's an accomplishment for a disorganized person like me.

oldvet 7 years, 4 months ago

I usually prepare them around the first week of March and then let the returns sit with the checks made out until the last minute. Mine went into the mail last night. As long as I owe money, I'll file by mailing it in. I have used TurboTax for almost ten years and it is a great package. I buy the software rather than use the online service since I file returns for multiple people.

warthog 7 years, 4 months ago

Wait... is that what all that paperwork is that I got from IRS? I just thought it was Christmas greetings. Oops.

samsnewplace 7 years, 4 months ago

I file early but probably the latest was mid-February.

BorderRat 7 years, 4 months ago

If I get money back, I file as soon as I can. If I have to pay, I'm in line at the Post Office about 11:00 PM on the last day.

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

BTW, I don't e-file. I'm not going to pay more to get my money back faster to just spend it faster. I like the 3-4 weeks of actually thinking I'm getting money better than the feeling of wow I just spent all that....

Flap Doodle 7 years, 4 months ago

Since I started using a tax prep firm recommended by Wesley Snipes, I don't worry about tax deadlines.

KsTwister 7 years, 4 months ago

"How many of you are willing to pay extra just for the "privilege" of electronic filing, rather than the one or two postage stamps for mailing it in?"

FYI it is free to file at irs .gov site

Unfortunately my CPA likes to buy new cars every year.

Byrne 7 years, 4 months ago

It's free to file the Federal, most electronic places charge for state.

That said, I just got mine done: 9 p.m. on the last day, about the same as last year.

ku_law 7 years, 4 months ago

I hate it when people start their sentences with "Actually." Unless they are correcting a statement that has been made, 'actually' should not be used. For example, I ask you "Where are you from?" Assuming you are from Kansas, your answer would be "Kansas" or "I am from Kansas". It should not be "Actually, I am from Kansas." However, if I asked you "You are from Texas, right?", you could then say "Actually, I am from Kansas." "Actually" is used to correct an incorrect assumption/statement. Get it right people.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

In 13 minutes my 1999 Federal Income Tax Payment will be 8 years late. Heading for the PO now.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 4 months ago

The latest I've ever filed is Apr. 1. So far I've been fortunate enough (or poor enough; take your pick) to not owe money. But even if I did, I would probably get it done early. I just like to get it over and done with so I don't have to worry about it.

Pywacket, I've had both the federal and state gov. send me letters informing me that my refund would be more than what I had calculated. Pleasant surprise, especially from the state. Do they really sit there and read ever tax form, or just a randomly selected few?

Actually, KU_law, if you're into law, I'm astonished that you're so concerned with the grammar of others. Actually, I'm astonished that you have time to even notice.

Actually, if you spend so much time noticing and attempting to correct the grammar of others, you miss out on the point of the comment. Actually, I noticed you did that, and made no comments at all about the content.

One of my English professors once chastised me for beginning sentences with the word "and". I disagreed with him, and said it was merely a difference in writing style.

I guess he agreed with me. I got an A in the course.