Previous   Next

What impact do you think the city voting on the immediate withdrawal of troops from Iraq would have?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think every single voice to our representatives does have an impact. So collectively, I think our opinion will definitely count.”

“It would empower the citizenry of Lawrence.”

“To be completely honest, I don’t think it will have an impact whatsoever. It’s unfortunate, because I think it’s a noble idea.”

“I think it would have an impact. It would get people riled up if everyone could have a vote on the issue. It seems like people are really on one side or the other. I think it’s a passionate issue all across the nation.”

Related story

Comments

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

No, Bowhunter: if Fred Phelps moves to Lawrence he will probably demonstrate at Homecoming and ruin my night, just because my title will be"Queen." Yes, he's that stupidly phobic!! Guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself anyway, since I only have one vote :*(

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

That's it Marion, get all up in arms over dimes, yet you don't seem bothered by the Bush administration spending billions and billions of our dollars on an unjustified war. Talk about have your priorities out of wack. While looking for the "Dada" in your pooper, keep an eye out for your own head. I suspect that is where it has been hiding all these years.

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

They can't agree on and set in place a rational plan for repairing potholes and sidewalks, but the commissioners have time to "wrestling" with the issue of war strategies in Iraq!!! It's now official, the inmates have taken over the asylum.

If people want their national representatives to know how they feel about Iraq they should contact them directly. This is just another indication that this commission is so very full of itself.

drewdun 7 years, 11 months ago

"After all, nobody likes us, so why even try to help out?"

Yeah, I wonder why that is? Hmmm, could it be that WE (or rather your political party) STARTED A WAR OF UNBRIDLED AGGRESSION FOR NO REASON AT ALL?

common 'cents' my foot

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

tob: get the "L" out of Marion's pooper, already!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ceal, I'll vote for you...for a Klondike Bar! :)

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

Dear MD - I am so very sorry for your loss. I know it will be difficult for you. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that God would give you peace knowing that your boy is no longer in pain. Just remember all the good times you had with him and tell God thanks for the years that you DID have him in your life. May the Lord bless you dear lady.

dacs23 7 years, 11 months ago

We should stand by our president even if he does smell like sulfur

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Bea - you make me proud to dance alongside you! You are on a big roll today!

I will buy you a bottle of Chanel #2 to celebrate.

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

Aw shucks, bob (I'm trying to remember how to blush:)

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

That would be zero.

A BIG, FAT, FLARGE zero.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe as much as Iraq's vote on Lawrence's city affairs.

Iraq hasn't voted on Lawrence's city affairs yet? Well, they should!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

huh? seriously?

RI, see any black panthers lately?

duh 7 years, 11 months ago

wasn't there a different question about drunk driving on her earlier today?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh MD, I'm so sorry. I'm glad the pain is gone, and want you to know that we are "here" for you, your family, such as we are.

Little guy. I know he is resting in peace and he was blessed, as are you, to have had each other.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

If I had a ballot, I'd cast out injustice, I'd cast out hatred, All over this world. I'd vote in freedom, I'd vote in amity, I'd vote in love between my brothers and my sisters, Ah'll over this world. I have a dream. Yes I do.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

R_I - nice. Now I have that song with Mary's shrill voice in my head. hep me, oh hep me!

I wish it would help. I have a friend whose husband is there, and whose best friend is being buried in Topeka today. It stinks.

BigDog 7 years, 11 months ago

Gootsie - I grew up with the soldier being buried in Topeka today. He was in Afghanistan training their army so that eventually American troops could leave that country.

He died doing a job he loved and a cause he believed in.

lunacydetector 7 years, 11 months ago

the only effect this has had is....it makes my eyeballs involuntarily roll ever time i read about it. i think i have a new found medical condition for the new england journal of medicine. thanks commish!

ps. why doesn't the journal world ever go to other parts of town to ask 'on the street' questions? you know, where the majority might hang out?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Well I got a vote, and I got a ballot, and I got an opinion, all over this land. It's the vote for Justice, it's the vote of Freedom, it's the vote for Love between my brothers and my sisters, all over this land

Everybody sing...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Multi, I am sorry, but I am also glad he is no longer in pain. My prayers are with you all.

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

zip. zero. zilch. nada. nil.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

BigDog, are you going to the funeral? I wish I could to help guard against the Phelps' bunch.

lunacydetector 7 years, 11 months ago

ps. why doesn't the journal world ever go to other parts of town to ask 'on the street' questions? you know, where the majority is found?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Duh, the JW site has been in lousy shape for a few days now, as omb noted. The OTS link was stuck on a previous question this morning; it has had the same problem the last few days.

common_cents 7 years, 11 months ago

If our incredibly smart group of citizens votes for immediate withdrawal from Iraq, how about the immediate withdrawal from Europe as well - for that matter, how about the immediate withdrawal from the U.N.

After all, nobody likes us, so why even try to help out? We all know the U.N. can do a much better job, especially with the U.S.A. out of the way. We NEVER do anything to help anyone anyhow... we just take things from people all over the world. As a matter of fact, let's stop foreign aid as well, our money is dirty beyond belief. No food for free anymore either, it's tainted and laced with bad chemicals by our government in an attempt to control the minds of the world populace.

Everyone knows the U.S.A. just screws stuff up anyhow.

Withdraw, then completely dismantle our military. That will teach those darn Republicans to do silly things. Yeah!

sarcasm off

RonBurgandy 7 years, 11 months ago

Gotta go with the consensus here...not a darn thing.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

OK, almost as good as a public apology. Shall we agree that it's just someone's mutant exotic pet gone wild, then? (Next, we're going to learn that prairie squids and trap-door buffalos are real!)

Nikki May 7 years, 11 months ago

Ok, I'll vote, but as usual, I doubt it would do anything. I'm pretty sure the representatives know what people think on this topic.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Unlike some, to me death was a gift: No longer to live pointlessly in pain. Choosing death, I might have on my own Let loose the darkness gathered in my heart, Except that luck has seen the matter through. How simple, then, to let one's fortunes drift Away from one, nor care for loss or gain. Remember me as one who, not alone, Relinquished well my moorings, to depart Yet not without a backward glance towards you. -William Byrd

God Bless you, MD.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 11 months ago

Ditto Ms. Canada.

This president gives a damn about one thing. The neocons personal agenda as they strive to control the price of oil on the world market. Grab your wallets.

Pothole Plan has been in place: call the pothole hotline

Sidewalks are "private property"

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, it will be of little good -- just another voice in the wilderness crying "foul," hoping to be heard. In the long run, it may let some who are opposed to the way the country went to war with Iraq know that it is okay to speak up. We were led to war in Iraq based on lies, and people are finally realizing this and speaking out.

Plus, a small town in middle America voting to withdraw the nation's troops from a foreign land is a very Dada thing to do. Two thumbs way up!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Ceal: "It's now official, the inmates have taken over the asylum."

Hey now, don't sully the good name of inmate like that!

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, inmate. That was insensitive of me. I should have said: "The patients have taken over the asylum!"

"A WAR OF UNBRIDLED AGGRESSION FOR NO REASON AT ALL" someone's been spiking your koolaid, drew. You must be/have been a drama major!!

Screaming something doesn't make it true. Neither does whining, crying, or repeating the same old lines over and over, regardless of the question of the day.

Nobody likes us? Since when are we running for Homecoming Queen?