Previous   Next

Do you believe your home is adequately protected by smoke detectors?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 8, 2006

Browse the archives

“It is. We’ve got one in every room and they have good batteries in them, so I figure it’s good.”

“Oh gosh, I don’t know. I’m pretty sure my landlord checked them. He’s a good guy - safety first and all that.”

“Yeah, I do. We actually had them go off a couple days ago. They all went off for just a little bit of smoke.”

“Yes, it is. We have them in the halls, one in the living room and one in the dining room. My mom and dad check them often.”

Related story

Comments

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

They are only as good as the batteries and the detectors placement. That being said, with good batteries and proper placement, they are a great source of protection.

offtotheright = offtothewrong side of the bed. Lighten up and don't be such an @ss.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

prospector, huh, huh! good one.

Smoke detectors: I only have 3 or 4. I could definitely use more and I could be better about checking the batteries. Thanks for the reminder LJW...I'll go check them before the Chiefs game and maybe put a couple more detectors on my shopping list.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes to the question, we are wired right to the fire station electrically through our security system. Also police station OMB - guess who got a large two page spread in the Toronot Globe and Mail. Your own Kinky Friedman. Lots of neat pictures of him and some girls at the University of Houston. What a guy. Wants to be the first Jewish cowboy governor. His definition of politics. Poli meaning more than one and ticks being blood sucking parasites. My kind of politician, for sure. I mean Kinky not the poli ticks.

FireMarshall_Bill 8 years, 2 months ago

OTR, I think you're being a bit harsh on Briana. I have a feeling that if Briana needs her batteries checked or any other thing the landlord wouldn't do, there might be some volunteers. Having a good detector is important, when you're smokin'.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

R I, If you fire off your Winchester, CZ, Ruger, Rock River, and Remington inside, does it set off your smoke detectors? That's the problem I had trying to use my Brown Bess for home protection. hehe

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

I have a split-level loft style apartment, so everything but the bathrooms is one big open area. For that, I have a detector downstairs in the main area, and one upstairs in the sleeping area. The batteries were good as of the start of Daylight Savings Time, and I'll be replacing them here in a few weeks. Mostly, that'll just be for the benefit of the next tenant, as I'm moving into my SO's house in November.

The SO's house has three or four wired detectors that run off the household current, and the battery backups in those are also good as of the start of Daylight Savings Time. I feel pretty safe, smoke-wise, in either place.

The only thing we worry about is having attic detectors. My mom had a pretty bad fire a few years back that started in her attic. However, around here attic detectors aren't practical because the heat and dust set them off too easily, and there's no point in having a smoke detector you'll end up ignoring.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

OMB - fall weather couldn't be better. Lovely sunshine for weeks now. But not anywhere near 84*. I am feeling most uncomfortable right now. Just finished a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings with sweet potatoe pie and whipped cream for dessert. Got my whole family here, well not quite. Two grandsons are missing. My daughter Ruth came up from Calgary for the weekend. Tomorrow is our Thanksgiving. Calgary is 3 hours south. It is her son Rob who plays hockey, now for Portland Winter Hawks. Got traded last week from Seattle. I did get such a kick out of the article about Kinky. Such a funny guy. Hope he makes it to the gubernatorial seat. That should be fun. You know, he just could be a very good governor.