Previous   Next

Do you think the city should shut down downtown streets more often for celebrations?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 5, 2006

Browse the archives

“Sure, that sounds like a good time. For certain situations it would be awesome.”

“No, because it takes away from businesses and only benefits the businesses that can afford to sponsor it.”

“Yeah, I don’t see why that would be a problem. It just increases town pride and lets people have a good time.”

“Sure. Why not? Those are the kind of things that bring the community together. If there’s something like that going on, more people will come downtown to see what this beautiful town has to offer.”

Related story

Comments

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Um, sure.

TOB, my waffler browns both sides nicely.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

On the flip-side, it could be like shooting fish in a barrel.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

sure, why not? can there be a beer garden??

oh wait-hasn't pretty much all of downtown turned in to a beer garden for the most part? ;)

so this is the "day of mass resistance" eh? speaking for myself-i've resisted mass for years now, and can't see as my soul has suffered from it!

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't care what they do, I avoid downtown during the "drunk hours" anyways. Too dangerous and annoying. Besides, how many times can you listen to a shrill voice scream over the crowd, "I'm soooo drunk!", then watch the sharks circle.

betti81 8 years, 2 months ago

yes! and this makes me even more sad about not being able to make it home for homecoming. i wish they would do this more often.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB, I know the Royals were bad, but isn't it a bit extreme to have Sue whip the batter?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Sure. Why not? Those are the kind of things that bring the community together. If there's something like that going on, more people will come downtown to see what this beautiful town has to offer.

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Swedenians.

The spring is when the waffle plant is in season.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Can I please come if I bring my own waffle iron?

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

Great idea. It will discourage people from going to their cars for their guns, if they have to walk a few blocks.

I say close em' down every night.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

sgt, you've rendered the board speechless, amazing!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

The taste of Binge depends on the Purger.

Shelby 8 years, 2 months ago

Sure, that sounds like a good time. For certain situations it would be awesome.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Sure, that sounds like a good time. For certain situations it would be awesome.

blueberry?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Ceal, I figure either everyone's keyboard malfunctioned by being soaked by abundant tears of laughter (a long shot, I admit), or my really bad joke drove everyone away.

Or they're just out buying Splenda.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Shut it down for free waffles in honor of waffle celebration.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

RI, people are lucky if they only need one day to resist mass. I fight mass all the time, particularly when I'm on steroids (medicinal, of course). Being the simple soul I am, I just call it dieting:)

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

if you wrap anything in a waffle-as long as the waffle's thin enough-isn't that considered a crepe?

i look forward to waffle harvest every year. make mine Belgian with strawberries&whipped cream please.

and-no whipped batters, they make for a less than savory treat.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 2 months ago

Sure, that sounds like a good time. For certain situations it would be awesome.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

I think they should be shut down all the time for a permanent celebration.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

ms_canada: I doubt that homeland security will allow that, but come on down, you can share mine :)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

And why do Swedeners

I actually like "Swedeners" better than "Swedish." Then, if someone moved to Sweden from another country, they could be called an artificial Swedener.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

sgt, my guess is that there was a lot of laughter, and a good deal of thought given to a retort -- but you reign supreme on that one! Keep it up and you'll put Jack Handy out of business.

Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy!!!!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB, I would observe NWD and whip you up some waffles just for the fun of doing so. And I definitely would whip the batter! Well, actually, the egg whites...and then fold them back into the batter. mmmmm.... And my ancestors are Swedish so I would make the perfect waffle queen (if one was required).

Ms_C, I have 3 waffle irons so you can borrow one of mine. (I like waffles)

OMB, it would be worth so much more than a dollar!;) Better throw in a Klondike Bar! BTW, I'd whip up my oatmeal chocolate-chip pancakes just for you.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely: The Plaza and Westport close off streets for 2-3 days.

Beer Meisters , Food and Music Bring the Art Shows downtown with Music and increase to 5 More cycling Events 3-4 Quilting Shows Bring the Fiddling and Picking to the Train Park so downtown vendors get the business Jewelry Shows Old car shows Outdoor landscape shows

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

RI, the medicinal steroids seem to expand rather than shrink :- Than again, I can only speak to what often happens to females. Although, I think the aggressive tendencies do affect both sexes, accounting for why I'm not always meek as the little lamb I truly am at heart:) It's all because of those da$#%d steroids! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

RI, no comment. And my momma always said "as mean as a skunk," but she was not Catholic and had no knowledge of nuns. She has many funny sayings...most of which I could not post here for fear of DR's retribution.

OMB, Do you require syrup? I just fold them over, hot off the grill, and eat them like a warm chocolate chip cookie taco thingie. (The oatmeal makes them healthy.):) So does butter because it comes from a cow which is a vegan.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Beads and all? Whooooop!! Them thar beads do cause some big time pain (and of course reflections on your wrong doings). Uhh, not that they ever had to discipline me.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

There is now, Gootsie, thanks to the visual you've placed in our heads!!! Mad, flesh-eating cows!!

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

RI: I don't know what you were looking for, but I thought yesterday's Day of Mass Resistance was a smashing success - almost everybody resisted it!

Bone777 8 years, 2 months ago

I have been rockin' the funnies all over today. I can't even get a 'disgusting',haha, your dumb, or anything.

I hate to beg, but come on.

RI wrote - "I heard male binge drinkers earn on average 6% more than non binge drinkers. Does anyone know what binge tastes like? I don't think my liquor store carries it."

Bone777 wrote - "The taste of Binge depends on the Purger."

Get it? Binge and purge. Sick and wrong, but funny.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 2 months ago

They should block off Massachusetts every weekend and make everyone park in lots and parking structures. Then they could have DUI checkpoints at the exits of said parking areas. Lots of revenue for city with all those fines. Lots of work for local attorneys. Fewer drunks on the streets. Win Win Win.

H_Lecter 8 years, 2 months ago

I think we should shut it down one day per week and have themed celebrations.

paintball day homemade fireworks day maim a mime day lawn dart day
horseless jousting snowball day guess what's in the waterballoon day "The Lottery" day paperairplane with pins in the end day guess what's in the woodchipper day no streetlights/ handheld torches only night sword and sunglasses night

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Bone777: you are sick, disgusting and funny! In other words, you fit right in :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Bone, huh, huh, huh! (all better now?) :o) (Sometimes we laugh but you can't hear us...I don't know why. Strange.)

H_L, sign me up for the horseless jousting. That brings to mind all sorts of possibilities.