Previous   Next

What is your favorite Dr. Seuss Book?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 12, 2006

Browse the archives

“Definitely ‘Green Eggs and Ham.’ I like the illustrations, there’s lots of detail and it has a good ending.”

“Sneetches and Other Stories.’ It’s about these yellow things and some of them had stars on their bellies. Then someone comes with a machine that could put stars on or take them off, and so none of them knew which they really were.”

“Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?’ Hands down, because Boom, Boom, Boom, Mr. Brown is a wonder. Boom, Boom, Boom, Mr. Brown makes thunder.”

“Cat in the Hat.’ It caught my attention with all the panic, anxiety and loss of control. It’s part of the world we live in. All the little decisions we make that snowball into bigger problems.”

Comments

Pywacket 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, GOD, but I hate Dr. Seuss books. The colors are pukening, the repetition stultifying, and the pace at which the stories advance (if you can even say they advance) makes you feel like you're walking through cold, stodgy molasses in wet wool socks and cement boots.

The only one I can stand is How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and that's only because of Boris Karloff. ;-)

There's something creepily organic about all the Seussian mechanical devices--as if rocket ships and cars are made of the giant, formaldehyde-preserved stomachs of prehistoric creatures. Did I mention that his palette is pukening? Well, it is. Washed-out pinks and moribund blues.. babysh** tans and lifeless lilacs..

I love kid books--I love a wide range of writers, styles, palettes--There are some amazing, fantastic writers out there and vibrant illustrators. I just never shared or understood the attraction of Seuss. Do I need to start a "Tweedle Beetles Hater" support group or would I be the only one in it?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

I guess you're just trying to be funny, H, but some things shouldn't be fooled around with, even for humor.

Dr. Seuss was a class act, and deserves better than that.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

As a child, my favorite was Horton Hears a Who. As an adult, my favorite is The Lorax.

H_Lecter 7 years, 5 months ago

"Who wants to chew Uncle Hannibal's Stew?"

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

RI, welcome back to the net!

Ms_C, When my #1 was a wee babe, she'd make me read the "Tweetle Beetles" over and over and over... Back then I had it memorized. I could have recited it in my sleep. That, and Ogden Nash's "Custard the Dragon." Another great one if you never read it. (I might still be able to recite that one...it was my personal fav.) :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 5 months ago

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

buffbonzai 7 years, 5 months ago

I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew

Irish_Prince 7 years, 5 months ago

"The Boob in the Tube." Or was it "The Boobs have Tubes"?

"Tubes Full Of Boobs"??

I don't know. I forget now.

ms_canada 7 years, 5 months ago

The tweedle beetle battle is indeed priceless. who could not love it.

lonelyguy 7 years, 5 months ago

The Chicken Choker.

..Oh, wait! I'm not sure that was a Dr. Suess story.

angelofmine 7 years, 5 months ago

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! is my favorite.

SpeedRacer 7 years, 5 months ago

How the Grinch Stole Christmas was always my favorite Seuss story, and it took on a whole new life for me when Bois Karloff narrated the animation.

Marion, I don't usually find much to thank you for, but I saw this Jesse Jackson segment on SNL when it first aired and rolled with laughter. Thanks for pointing us to the clip.

prospector 7 years, 5 months ago

I put this on the Suess article but I wanted to share it with the OTS campers.

=============================

Posted by prospector (anonymous) on November 12, 2006 at 12:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

When reading this story

I thought oh my glory

has Marion taken control

over Mindie's pie hole.

The spaces thrown in

gave me chagrin.

But the lack of typos in a pointless rant

or some CAPS thrown in for no reason at that

I thought only briefly that this was a whine

from the one that will always end with the sign:

Thanks

Marion

Gootsie 7 years, 5 months ago

Horton Hears a Who. LOVE IT!

Sue is so cool.

I-P, you mean Stinky Sunk the Skunk?

innocuous_posts 7 years, 5 months ago

I like the one where the Coot has a web forum, but since it only gets 3 unique visitors a month, the Coot has to visit other people's forums to talk about the books he's writing and his PAC and all the wonderful things he's done. Alan Resnais made a movie from that book in 1961. The movie was titled "This Year in Marionisbad".

sourpuss 7 years, 5 months ago

The Lorax is my favorite, but it also makes me sad.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 5 months ago

Why has no one mentioned Yurtle the Turtle!?! Another of the many classics by the seuss man

prospector 7 years, 5 months ago

" One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish"

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

FOX N SOX and the infamous Beetle Battle

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Very well, then Mr. Knox, sir. Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles....

What do you know about tweetle beetles? well...

When tweetle beetles fight, it's called a tweetle beetle battle.

And when they battle in a puddle, it's a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

AND when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle. AND...

When beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle...

...they call this a tweetle beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle. AND... When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...

...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle. AND...

Now wait a minute Mr. Socks Fox!

When a fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetls battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle. THIS is what they call...

...a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottles paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in socks, sir!

Fox in socks, our game us done, sir. Thank you for a lot of fun, sir.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, the Places You'll Go, Horton Hears a Who, and I love the "Beetle Battle." Now I have to go look that one up 'cause I can't remeber it verbatum.

Nikki May 7 years, 5 months ago

I like the butter battle book. I like the "political" ones like Sneetches (racism/discrimination), The Butter Battle Book (nuclear war), Yertle the Turtle (facism/oppression) and the Lorax (enviornment) are the ones that I can think of most.

Horton Hatches an Egg, Horton Hears a Who, Hunches in Bunches, and Oh the Places You'll Go are all favorites because of theme.

But my favorite for the fun of it are There's a Wocket in my Pocket, and On Beyond Zebra.

classclown 7 years, 5 months ago

"Sneetches and Other Stories.' It's about these yellow things and some of them had stars on their bellies. Then someone comes with a machine that could put stars on or take them off, and so none of them knew which they really were."

• Matt Erickson, Kansas University sophomore, Lawrence

==================================

At first I thought it was about those who narc on each other in the barrio.

Norma Jeane Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

Boxers.

Lighten up, LHS76. Not everything has to be so serious. Besides, OTS has about as much change inducing impact as, say, spitting in the river for luck during March Madness.

LHS76 7 years, 5 months ago

Glad to see important topics like this. What's next...boxers or briefs?

Marion Lynn 7 years, 5 months ago

One of the greatest tributes to Dr. Seuss; the good-uh, Reverend-uh Jess-uh Jackson-uh:

Thanks.