Previous   Next

Would you like to take your pet(s) to work?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 31, 2006

Browse the archives

“I’d love to. I have two cats and two dogs. I’d love to take one of my cats to work. He misses me a lot during the day, and I miss him, too. He likes it when I work on my computer, which is pretty much all I do at work.”

“I have a really shy cat, but I work in fast food so it would probably be a bad thing.”

“Work is the only way I can get away from my pet. I’ve got a 5-month-old puppy, and I couldn’t handle it 24 hours a day.”

“No, because I have a rabbit and she would jump around everywhere.”

Related story

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

But of course Ceal.

I for one, am against monarchy, though I seem to be immersed in the system.

Out of control Singin' with too much soul I heard you got out on parole Workin' for the queen.

Gardening again Landscape again Keepin' all the grounds around her clean Workin' for the queen.

...a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing... . Thomas Jefferson

milkman_dan 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Bea, It was truly a pleasure.

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

milkman -- you SUCK! You had me hook line and sinker! :)

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

They do indeed rhyme (perfectly), RI, and I know it's important to you that things be perfect :)

Now about that always correct and above reproach, I think it's only fair to tell you that being Irish, I am not good at paying homage to established rulers :):) (The Brits have been trying to get us to play king and queen for many, many years -- thus far, it's ain't happnin.) How about -- you are always correct and above reproach regarding issues related to showering facilities and water conservation?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

Ceal, Now that we have solidly confirmed the fact that my statements are always correct and above reproach, you should never question the validity of my statements.

But, I bloviate and stand firm in my refusal to be stereotyped, categorized, lumped, assigned, grouped, classified, designated, included, unified, massed, conjoined, ordered, and associated with any banal anal-retentive label. (hey, banal and anal are almost a perfect rhyme).

milkman_dan 7 years, 10 months ago

I worked at a city dog pound while in college. Our policy was to put most dogs and all cats to sleep as soon as they came in. This saved us tons in labor and supplies as well as paperwork. We didn't tell the employees who worked at the desk so they could honestly say, they had no record of people's pets. We had contests to try to capture as many animals per day. It was a fun place to work. We had to cut back when someone saw us pick up a city worker's dog and he came to get it (huge St. Bernard) and we had already put it to sleep. He got really irate with the desk employee who had no idea we killed his beloved dog. BTW, this story never really happened.

moralebooster 7 years, 10 months ago

I took my dog to work with me. Later that evening my friend came over and asked her what kind of day she had. She replied, "Ruff."

one_more_bob 7 years, 10 months ago

I recall seeing a piece of film showing Hitler & his dog. The dog appeared to be terrified of Mr. H. People should have listened to the dog.

blackbird13 7 years, 10 months ago

OK acg, I'll give you that. But my pooches smell like roses...well, unless they've been out rolling in poop. But I wouldn't bring them to work after they'd been rolling in poop. ;)

Arschloch 7 years, 10 months ago

My dog is pretty smart; we keep in contact via email during the day.

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

That's not necessarily true blackbird. My family has been breeding and raising dogs for 4 decades and some dogs just have a more powerful odor than others, regardless of how much you bathe and groom them. For instance, bassets generally always smell like dog whereas huskies don't generally have a bad smell, but then the hair at the base of the follicle is almost like a wool and it's hard for smell to penetrate inwards or outwards. When we bred cockers they seemed to always smell, but St. Bernards hardly had an odor problem, just a drool problem. My dog gets groomed weekly but can still be funky, especially when she's been out running around.

H_Lecter 7 years, 10 months ago

Kline ,

just to clarify, you are saying mass murdering is bad.

I've always suspected Hitler's dog as the evil power behind him too...just like son of Sam.

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

Kline: "Adoph Hitler took his dog to work and he was a fascist mass murderer." Kline, I had no idea that Hitler's dog was a fascist mass murderer. As a puppy he obviously didn't get wacked in the nose with a rolled up newspaper often enough. Bad dog, bad dog! No more mass murders or no more bacon treats! Bad dog!

today's question: huh? No.

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 10 months ago

No. None of my pets have opposable thumbs. If I can't use it as slave labor, I don't want it around while I'm working.

I once thought about getting a whole bunch of bananas to train monkeys to be my lab assistants, but then I realized how difficult it would be to clean monkey poop out of a force transducer and quickly dismissed the idea...

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Right again, RI!!

Don't stay in that showering facility too long or we'll be calling you prune_sue <:)

blackbird13 7 years, 10 months ago

I think I would actually get more work done if I could bring my dog to work. I wouldn't be worrying about him at home, and I would feel like I had to work extra hard for the privilege.

And (properly groomed and taken out to potty) a dog shouldn't smell bad. Just FYI.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Whew! Just got here. The "showering facility" steamed up and I couldn't find my way out.

Take my pets to work? Well, since I work at home, I guess they can stick around. Would I take them elsewhere? No! I happen to love dogs...but not ALL dogs. I love cats...but not ALL cats. Get the picture? Oh, I also love children...

prospector 7 years, 10 months ago

Good ole DC. Is the rumor true that old Dodge City is shutting down? I just love the smells after a spring shower out there. It will make you cry and if the wind is right, gag until you get use to it. I never get use to it either.

Owner works at a dog food factory, I see doggy bliss, treats and endless rear ends to sniff.

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

Too funny Prospector. Now you aren't calling the Dodge City area "wasted" are you??

prospector 7 years, 10 months ago

Pets to work? Dogs yes, cats no.

And if I worked in the house?

The dogs just loved my week at a time field work, taking in most all parts of wasted Kansas. The 24/7 with them when they were young went a long way in the training of them. Smart, loyal, and obedient. I never had to use a leash or yell. If I said "hey" they would freeze, look at me and sit down unless I said something else. It was fun for all having them along. For some reason, the opposite happened with the then wife. She was the one in need of a leash, the disloyal female dog she was. BAD GIRL

Damn I miss them, the dogs, not her.

charliebear1977 7 years, 10 months ago

I have a long-haired miniature dachshund, and she loves people so I would love to be able to take her with me.

mztrendy 7 years, 10 months ago

My dog is a weenie dog and it'd just be an inconvenience for him to come to work with me. He'd actually have to get out of bed.

bytheway 7 years, 10 months ago

Take an animal to work. No way.

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

No, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just touchy today. I prob shouldn't have called dude an idiot. Sorry, dude. But I'm at my stupidity threshold and I don't know if I can take any more people doing dumba* things. And my office air conditioners were stolen so it's hotter than hll in here and that makes it worse.

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

Wow. Taking a dog to work at a dog food factory. There has to be a joke there somewhere! (I know you do tons more than just dog food)

Sounds neat, sulasien!

Is your dog named after Katie Horner?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

Ceal,

S.S. is probably using her decadent 2 valve, 2 shower head, fancy tiled, expansive glass doored "showering facility"

sulasien 7 years, 10 months ago

I took our dog, Katie, to work a few weeks ago. I work for Hill's Pet Nutrition, and every year we have a "Take Your Dog To Work" day. It's amazing to see how well behaved the dogs are, and there are fun events for them and their owners throughout the day.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Not to mention your years of experience dealing with clowns & wild animals on the OTS and other LJW boards:)

acg, so are you saying that you believe being AR is a bad thing? :-P

btw, where is our sue today?

buffbonzai 7 years, 10 months ago

I have a chinchilla and I don't think he'd be happy hanging out in the grease pit that I work at.

one_more_bob 7 years, 10 months ago

If anyone would like to hire me to entertain housepets all day long, I would entertain suitably extravagant offers. Fluffy's happiness is worth it, isn't it? I've years of experience in the circus business (dealing with clowns & wild animals).

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

Wait, I'm anal retentive because I don't want to drive my hairy dog to work in my small car, 45 minutes away from my house, ruining my clothes and making me smell. And I'm anal retentive because I don't want to spend all day worrying about taking her out to potty, if she has water, food and companionship when I'm supposed to be running 3 offices, one in Topeka, one in Manhattan and one in Wichita. Well, geez, bobberboy, I'm sorry. I thought that when I was at work, I was supposed to be working. I guess I should just give up the pesky job and spend all of my time entertaining the dog, right? Wait, then I wouldn't have the money to give the dog an air conditioned house to lay around in all day, eating and drinking and coming and going as she pleases. Well, let's see, which decision should I make there? I'm anal retentive? No, buddy, you're an idiot!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I take myself to work and nobody seems to mind the snoring and drooling.

angelofmine 7 years, 10 months ago

I would love to take my dog to work with me, but I don't think everyone else would appreciate the snoring and drooling. He'd be a good boy, I'm sure, if he had a bed under my desk. He'd just flop there for the duration like the lazy dog he is, unless someone was eating some sort of food OR had something with a crinkly wrapping that might possibly cover a food item. Then he'd be off begging for sure! I've never seen a dog so food-motivated as an English Bulldog!!

Kline 7 years, 10 months ago

Adoph Hitler took his dog to work and he was a fascist mass murderer.

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

Is that an asp in your pocket, or do you just love your job?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

I would bring my pet trouser snake.

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

bobberboy, I never said I like gerbils. :) Sicko.

I used to have a dog, but no longer. Maybe later, I would like to get one, but I don't think I would bring it to work. Like it or not, a workplace full of pets would smell.

average 7 years, 10 months ago

bobberboy - So far as anyone can tell, it goes back to that Mohammed was a cat person (notably Muezza the cat). I understand, I lean toward the felines myself. Add that to the fact that dogs have no shame about anything, and you get a cultural superstition that you are unclean if you've touched a dog. This is not in the Koran per se, but some interpretations of more apocryphal hadith (tales about the life of Mohammed and his followers).

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

ceallach - have you ever smelled a ferret. Definitely not one of my favourite odours. Hamster would make a good dinner companion for the ferret. Well everybody, have fun with the pets. I am off to the country for a few days. Tirrah, as the Brits say.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Although I love my cats, I would not want to take either of them to work -- it would be just another place I'd have to vacuum and adhesive roll up cat hair. Anytime I am on the computer at home, one of my little hairy critters has to be on my lap at all times. I think I am keeping the lint roller companies in business :)

Working at KU is somewhat like spending every day in a "free monkey" zone :)

ms_c: little M thinks she would like a ferret, though I'm not sure how her hamsters would like it :-\

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

No because it would encourage Windy the Weather Dog, which would go against our own ever-pregnant Katie Horner.

Kyle Neuer 7 years, 10 months ago

Dogs and operating rooms probably wouldn't mix. Too much raw meat around.

one_more_bob 7 years, 10 months ago

The place I work was looking for ideas to increase employee satisfaction. I suggested "Free Monkey Friday". They turned it down.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

There is another club? I thought this was the AR club!!

Redzilla 7 years, 10 months ago

I would not want to take my hell-cats to work with me, but I wish my coworkers could bring their dogs to work. One has this little yorkie and the other has an Italian Greyhound. The best part is that I could pet their dogs, but I wouldn't have the hassle of making bathroom trips and other stuff. Hmmm...pretty much the way I feel about kids. I like other peoples' kids, because I don't have to be responsible for them.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

I have no pets. Thus, no, I would not like to take my pet(s) to work.

Now, I understand the idea behind the whole take your child to work day thing. But I'm a little fuzzy (so to speak) on the idea behind taking a pet to work. Particularly because pet allergies aren't exactly a rarity.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

I would hazard a guess that it won't be long until some clever perdon gets us off on another more interesting question like maybe, if you could be an animal what would you choose. Pets at work? no way.

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd gladly bring my dog to work, but I don't think she'd like it very much. I'd like to have a fish maybe...

bobberboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Average - what's with Saudi's and dogs anyway ?

I'd like to take my dog to work.

P.S. acg & craigers - you guys need to get together and form a anal retentive club.

bobberboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Average - what's with Saudi's and dogs anyway ?

I'd like to take my dog to work.

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't have a pet, so I guess not. Work would be really smelly though if pets were allowed.

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

No, because she's a dog and it's not appropriate or convenient to have a dog at my job. WTH? You know, I think the whole world is losing its mind.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

Lord no. And I wouldn't really want to work anywhere that allowed the little varmints.

average 7 years, 10 months ago

I worked in an office that had both a very friendly disabled-companion dog and a seriously superstitious (from my POV) Saudi coworker. I know it shouldn't have been so funny, but it always was. Was hell for the poor Saudi guy, though.

Redneckgal 7 years, 10 months ago

I have a Beta in a bowl on my desk. Does that count?

H_Lecter 7 years, 10 months ago

for lunch...bbq ribs are great

paladin 7 years, 10 months ago

Of course, everyday. He goes everywhere I go. He's part of me.

blue73harley 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh sure. And maybe I can also talk the boss into cleaning the litter box in my cubicle.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 10 months ago

Only if i had a parrot trained to say"yes sir, you are absolutley right".....I would probably get a raise.