Previous   Next

How do you relieve stress?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 11, 2006

Browse the archives

“Sometimes I take a walk, call some people to talk to or just get out of my apartment for a while.”

“Playing tennis. I like the exercise, the fact that it’s a fast-paced game and just getting out there and wearing yourself out. Sometimes doing something you have a passion for makes things a lot better.”

“Working out. It gets all the anger and aggression out without harming anyone.”

“I guess just staying at home and watching a movie usually helps me relax.”

Comments

enochville 8 years, 7 months ago

Find an enjoyable, engaging distraction.

H_Lecter 8 years, 7 months ago

de-boning and filleting are quite theraputic

sgtwolverine 8 years, 7 months ago

Wait, I'm supposed to relieve stress? I knew I was doing something wrong.

ms_canada 8 years, 7 months ago

Stress - well I don't have a lot of stress but at times I do and then if I can't deal with it, I mean fix the situation, I just go flop on the sofa with a good book or my MP3 player. The music works the best to relieve stress. But what is stress? With everything there is a cause and an effect. A bit of stress now and then is ok but if your life is constantly giving you stress, you may need to make a major change. That might not always be possible. Like my friend Marci whose husband has cancer and is suffering a lot. She looks after him and it is taking it's toll on her. What can she do? Well, she has her friends who give her emotional support and a lot of prayer. Don't scoff all you non believers. If you haven't tried it you don't know what you are talking about. We prayer warriors know how helpful it is to turn to God. Just to know that your circle of friends are praying for you is a tremendous comfort.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 7 months ago

staff04 8 years, 7 months ago

I had the same thought Ron...

To relieve stress? I like to shake hands with the unemployed.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 7 months ago

KSChick1 8 years, 7 months ago

By pretending I work at an "in-convenience" store and acting like I don't know where anything is when someone asks for it. At least that's what I do at my second job. At my real job and at home I drink heavily and occasionally dissolve into fits of giggles.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Ms_C on this one. I pray. Lots. No matter what your faith is, give it a try. Prayer is a form of meditation. When I was a child, my mother (who's been through a lot in her life) had a little plaque hanging on the kitchen wall. It said: "Why worry when you can pray?" I think of that often and it helps. I also talk to my friends.

For every day little stressers: A margarita in the hot tub with the hubby usually does the trick.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

Forgot to mention. I have a good friend who is a devout athiest. Even she prays. Don't know who she's praying to, but she believes that it works and that's the important part.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

Gootsie, You mean the broadway show? Yes, those guys are pretty sexy! That might cause me more stress, though. ;o)

mztrendy 8 years, 7 months ago

I just drink until I can't remember what was bothering me.

trinity 8 years, 7 months ago

how do i relieve stress?

uhhhh-i can't say in a public forum. ;)

RI, i too had a stretch of sobriety&now imbibe sometimes. now&then overdo, but nothing, NOTHING like years ago. wonder if it's possible to compare notes with somebody or even find some type of website of similar folks.

Ragingbear 8 years, 7 months ago

I wonder how many people they had to ask to fill all those slots? Because you know most of them said "Closed the curtains, kicked back, put on some Hendrix, and roll myself this big ol' fatty..."

Linda Aikins 8 years, 7 months ago

Stomp Romp Pomp (and circumstance)

Yep. All of them! ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 7 months ago

I read both removed posts and obviously didn't find anything so "outrageous" that I can even remember it. It was probably something along the lines of a very natural way to relieve stress.

Ever been lying in bed, completely out of chocolate, the significant other tossing and turning, and so you make a suggestion and a while later you are both sound asleep? This is normal and natural YDP! One of the best ways to relieve stress. You can't ask a question like this and not get an honest answer from time to time. Doctors and scientists would slap your hands for removing such a post as this. Or is it forbidden to say or even imply s_x???

multi_is_josette 8 years, 7 months ago

beatrice 8 years, 7 months ago

Alas, the actual question of the day is worse than the anticipated question. I best not hold my breath waiting for the LJWorld to ask a decent question.

Liberty 8 years, 7 months ago

Beatrice,

We actually agree on something!

But to answer the question, I read the Bible.

Many answers in 'the good book' if we will just read it occasionally and give first place to the Word of God. Then compare His word to how we have been living our life as we read it and allow His word to penetrate deeply into our heart for maximum antistress effectiveness. It is a great comfort spiritually.

beatrice 8 years, 7 months ago

Well how about that Liberty! Good thing too, because I was beginning to stress out over the fact that we never see things eye to eye. : )

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

In answer to the question: To relieve stress I meditate on scriptural phrases that relate most to a particular situation. However, as a general rule I am usually feeling stressed because I have stopped minding my business and busied myself with God's business. When I take a moment to remember His words,

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

and pray for the strength to not have to be "strong" about everything, the stress passes.

For those who think that this is just a mental crutch for the weak I can only say -- you are abolutely right -- and I thank Him for it.

Charla Welch 8 years, 7 months ago

I get on World of Warcraft and kill things. That is, when I have time. If not, I usually watch TV or read a book for a bit.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

MD: who is c_v that is giving you a bad time? I have not been able to read and/or post on a regular basis lately so I must have missed it. Whoever they are, shame on them :) I agree with hugs, we need to start ignoring those who are trolling the site instead of offering an answer or opinion. Most here do not mind differing opinions, at least they didn't used to, but some are just here to "relieve their stress," anonymously, and at the expense of others. Which is more than a little cowardly.

southerngirl 8 years, 7 months ago

Make him go to his room. (My teenager that is!)

d

RonBurgandy 8 years, 7 months ago

A removal...come on. My comment wasn't bad at all...boo on the suggestor of removal.

...curses.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

hugs_and_kisses to you hugs_and_kisses :) Don't let it get you down. I have to believe that there are other people on here who do not use a different username to vent their "evil twin" nature on other people!! Petty little attacks by sad little minds.

But when it comes to trolls, paranoia is in order. Just because we're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get us I almost left the board a while ago because some fool decided to take issue with any and everything I said. Then I came to my senses and fought back by ignoring him. As far as I know, he either left or changed his name and is now one of our darlin trolls.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the update MD, hopefully I will be able to check in more often and at least have a clue as to what is what and who is who. Trying to sort that out at the same time I change the entire world for the better is sooooo tiring!! Agree with me/disagree with me, love me or hate me, I am Ceallach!

ChasL 8 years, 7 months ago

A little fishing trip/boat ride on the Kaw always helps me unwind.........till a big flattie decides to come out and play.

beatrice 8 years, 7 months ago

Cea: As I said before, our recent many-named "visitor" is like a hacker who lacks any real hacking skills, so he/she must spend time trying to be a nuisance on a public board. A real rebel without a clue. Hopefully it helps him relieve stress.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

bea: you got that right!

MD: hope you can access your email, I just sent you a "troll-proof" message :) Sometimes, if you don't feed them, they go away.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like a lot of bologna to me :)

jayhawktownie 8 years, 7 months ago

obliterate my self with wine and spirits then do stupid stuff

james bush 8 years, 7 months ago

I've come back to this OTS topic 3 times today, each time asking myself why! It finally dawns on me now that I come to OTS everyday to relieve the stress of the day's news when I just have to say something,anything to somebody/anybody about how screwed up everything is!!!!!

Wow! Now I feel better! Even if things are still screwed up.

hottruckinmama 8 years, 7 months ago

i'm surprised ljw was even brave enough to ask! well since i don't have a husband or a boyfriend at present...i just go shopping! come to think of it the husband or the boyfriend was usaully the source of the stress :)

hottruckinmama 8 years, 7 months ago

tee hee..ottr said sex. i though people to the right didn't think about such unclean things!

adavid 8 years, 7 months ago

nothing relieves my stress faster than just beating the crap out of inanimate objects.

and newborn kittens

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

hottruckinmama, I loved your post!! The best thing about going shopping for stress? -- if you change your mind just return it to the store, get your investment back and try on something else :):)

Manana

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree shopping rules!! I go for a walk when I am stressed and listen to angry rock and think mean thoughts while I am walking fast or stomping around the track. After a few miles of this I feel better. bumpin uglies works too.