Previous   Next

How interested are you in the NCAA tournament now that KU has lost?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 19, 2006

Browse the archives

“Well, I’m downtown instead of watching the games. I guess I’ll have to go for Wichita State.”

“I might glance at it, but right now I’m just kind of upset. I’m healing. I was born and raised here. It’s hard to watch them lose.”

“I’ve definitely lost some interest, but I’ll still watch to see how well I did predicting who would win.”

“I’m still interested. Whoever beats KU, you want them to go far so you don’t feel as bad. Then again you kind of want them to lose. I’m just going to root for the team that’s closest to Kansas.”

Related story

Comments

BrianR 9 years, 3 months ago

We got behind Texas A & M because they'd never won an NCAA game before so we wanted them to win a lot of them in this tournament. Now it's Texas. We want the Big 12 to make the best showing possible.

classclown 9 years, 3 months ago

I have the same amount of interest as I did before. None.

And Bryan Funk, shouldn't you be used to it? I mean KU is pretty much like the Chiefs are they not? One and done.

bmwjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Connie Robertson shouldn't be watching basketball OR walking downtown. She should be at work. I had to stop at every light-- again-- on 6th street yesterday. Now, I know who to blame.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

hey, just what DOES a traffic control technician do anyway?

wasn't much interested before, no change now.

just released: KU's basketball schedule for 06-07: after this defeat, a repeat game against Milton Bradley University; later in the season, they will face that powerhouse, california state university, of parker brothers.
finally they will finish up the season facing chessman U.
knock 'em down boys!

kansas_prairieland 9 years, 3 months ago

Well, since I pretty much knew right from the start that KU wasn't going to go very far in this tournament....yeah, I am still following it closely.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

p>www.drudgereport.com that evil conservative news site, has linked to our ljw "sound and fury" story of a few days ago RE college students' roudiness.
so if site gets slow, you'll know many are reading it all over the country, along w/the comments.

now under a winter storm warning... yippee ti yi yaay!

james bush 9 years, 3 months ago

Gnome, I just came from Drudge and was going to post here that KU was joining NU on that website for news about university shennanigans. You beat me to it! Too bad we aren't feeling good about the NCAA!

I_Bejewel 9 years, 3 months ago

Well we had to lose so everyone could have the amusement of seeing "BRAD PITT" on the scoreboard. I thought it was amusing anyway.

Seriously, I was sad about the loss, but I don't blame anyone and life goes on.

classclown 9 years, 3 months ago

"Classclown..you must not be from here...no one messes with the Funks. Disgraceful. (Not to mention dangerous...geez!)"

Well I did and nothing happened. Nor will it. Very typical of the teams and the folks around here. All bark and no bite. Or should that be all squawk and no bite? Or peck or whatever it is those lame birds do because they're obviously not capable of anything else.

The only thing left now is for half the KU fans to blame Bush for it, and the other half to blame Boog and the rest of the commission.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

psssssst, [jimincountry, if you read drudge, you know what that might make you........ .... yes, a dreaded conservative]...be afraid, be very afraid!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

MD: yes, could've picked a story with better discussion after; this one includes comments by the lovely Jannie....yick!

take care of that upper lip, okay!

site is really acting weird! keeps forgetting who I am, and once even thought I was "observer!" hahahahahahahaha!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

no, the site recognizes gnomedog...haha. yes, if the site were looking for my evil doppleganger, the one would probably be observer!
I was certainly shocked when below the comments on a story it indicated my username was "observer!" no, mrs. gnome never has that trouble. and as I said, the site invariably recognizes gnomedog, though he sometimes hits the paws button.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

here you go nudist:

As Tunick shouted commands through a megaphone, nude people of every shape, size and skin tone gathered on the avenue and stairs in front of the statue just before dawn.

"There are some people over there with clothes, get them out of there!" said Tunick, an artist from Brooklyn, N.Y., who has been documenting groups of nude people in public places around the world since 1992.

For the volunteers, being part of Tunick's art meant letting go of inhibitions and enduring a two-hour series of sometimes uncomfortable positions on the pavement.

Harold Velasquez, a thin 23-year-old university student, said he was nervous before the 4:30 a.m. event - but felt free while posing.

"I put the lightest clothes I had on this morning because I knew I wouldn't have them on for long," a smiling Velasquez said. "There were good vibrations, a good positive energy among all the people involved. I felt liberated."

The nude subjects posed standing, lying down and on their knees as the warm Caribbean sun emerged on the eastern horizon.

Occasional cheers and movements in the enthusiastic crowd made shooting tough at times, Tunick said.

"It was difficult to work because the people were so exuberant, so it took a little bit longer, but I got what I wanted," he said after the session.

"The body represents beauty, love and peace. There was a lot of beauty and energy in the people today."

Tunick took photographs from opposing angles, using buildings with large outside columns as a backdrop on one side and a fork in the wide, palm tree-lined avenue on the other.

The artist, who has been arrested multiple times while shooting in the United States, said he was happy to have darker-skinned subjects. Most Venezuelans are considered mestizo, a mix of Spanish, African and indigenous bloodlines that gives many a brown skin tone.

"I want people of color to pose and come out and participate in my work, so I was very lucky," the artist said.

Tunick said each volunteer will receive a print of the installation.

"I'm not going to tell my mother about this until I receive the print," said Josefa Maria Briceno, a 35-year-old surgeon who posed despite having second thoughts.

"She's going to think I'm crazy."

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

that's from yahoo news, about a mass nude photo event in venizuela.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm still watchin as much as I can of the tournament. Sad that KU lost, but Wichita State is now in the Sweet 16, and so is Texas.

And yeah, the most important thing...N. Carolina won't be winning it THIS year!! They got beat, too!