Previous   Next

What should be done with the former Farmland Industries Site?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on June 14, 2006

Browse the archives

“They should use it to make a documentary about how land gets abused by industry. Then they should build a research facility for KU there to study agricultural pollution.”

“I’d like to see it become a big park with a lake and lots of gardens. I think we need more big parks here in town.”

“I think it would be wise to build an industrial business district there to create more high-paying jobs. That would be my vote.”

“I think it should be a new business area with more of a focus on entertainment with places for kids and adults to go for recreation.”

Related story

Comments

boogeyman 7 years, 10 months ago

A Soylent Green factory What we don't eat, we can use to run our cars with.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

where's dennis steffes with a checkbook at an opportune moment?

perhaps he can coventure with the salvation army and create the ultimate "wet" shelter. the proximity to the jail is the icing on the cake.

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

Sue, you're cracking me up!

Dad, I'm with you. I remember the Sunset Drive-in where Sonic now is on 6th. What a great time. We could call it the "As Big As You Think" Drive-In.

orchid 7 years, 10 months ago

Marion- I keep thinking that you will stop placing all of the blame on "Progressives," but I understand that it's an easy answer. If you don't like the direction Lawrence is headed towards, then put your name on the ballot next election.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 10 months ago

I think we should turn it into a theme park about Lawrence. It should be a paradise of never-ending roundabouts where you talk on your cell while driving, smoke and exhale forcefully while circus animals parade around with the trainers following behind with glad bags of poo. The homeless could have a daily parade and at the entrance the police would check every vehicle.

Seriously a drive in would be fantastic!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

s.s.,

I beg to differ, I consider myself not an urbanite, but a quasi-ruralist.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

RI, since you're #1 on the list, I guess I'm going to join adavid and go start my own country somewhere. There's no doubt that I'd have a much cleaner life if I rid myself of the whole lot of you...but, then, I'd get bored.

bugmenot 7 years, 10 months ago

""All I'm asking is that people actually try to educate themselves before they spout nonsense." If that were to happen, these boards would be virtually silent."

Truest sh!^ I ever heard.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

sunflower_scourge

Now correct me if I am incorrect, but what I gather from your posts is:

You married into a enviroment polluting family, Bro-in-law-printer (#2 on list) Hubby-farmer (#3 on your list).

Isn't there a Meatloaf song, 2 out 3 aint bad?

RIGHTEOUS_INDIGNATION

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Here's a good site to visit and backs up RI's plan to make it "high density" housing...with proper watersheds, of course...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

OMB, (10:51) good point!

RI, my bro-in-law worked for a publishing co. (in Topeka) that dumped all sorts of cr@p into the Kaw. Now, that is one toxic river!

Oldenuf, I wasn't baggin' on Farmers. Quite the contrary. The list (which I wish I could get the link to) was to point out that farmers are actually at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to the polluters. "Super-size me Steve" just got me all worked up. Sorry! :)

Ceal, Thanks! Now I've got "Little Shop of Horrors" playing in my head. Does that count as noise pollution?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 10 months ago

I have the BEST idea.

We need a drive in theater. A brand new one, with good sound and stuff like that. Hot dogs. Popcorn. Mosquitos... everything.

I'd look up my old buddies from high school and put 5 guys in the trunk, and one under a blanket in the back seat. We'd pay for 2 admissions, and get everyone in for, like, $7. We'd have a big greasy bag of popcorn that we brought from home, and we'd be in our pajamas in case we got tired...

Oh wait, I'm taking the nastalgia back too many years...

dacs23 7 years, 10 months ago

Don't care what goes in so long as it increases property value to the surrounding area. Perhaps a new HyVee so I don't have to drive clear across town. I think the garden is a good idea since it is already fertilized.

thisiknow 7 years, 10 months ago

Living off k-10, I would love to have a grocery store nearby and I would really like a brand new Sporting Goods store. I have to drive to KC everytime my teen needs something for sports!!!!

BigTime 7 years, 10 months ago

Methlab - produce and sell to Missouri to make their trailer courts safe to live in again!

kingdork44 7 years, 10 months ago

Craigers. and soon to follow,,,, The 5 legged frogs that showed up in southwest Kansas, because of the pesticide run off. I think there was a two headed calf born out in that area as well.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Posted by Kookamooka (anonymous) on June 14, 2006 at 7:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Botanical Garden

"Feed me, Seymour." :)

reginafliangie 7 years, 10 months ago

How about a go cart track, mini golf and paintball park, other things like that, like a little theme park? Give the kids something to do besides drink and spray paint and break into cars. I know I would get sick of going to the movies and bowling all the time. It would be nice to have an alternative.

Gootsie 7 years, 10 months ago

Consumer1, good point about the green glow! And they would have really white lumpy skin and smell of, well, fertilizer!

craigers 7 years, 10 months ago

Let's combine a few things. It could be used for a manufacturing plant of roundabouts, which would create some new high paying jobs. And then the city could just order a roundabout and drive around dropping them on any intersection they want.

Do we really want a lake with three-eyed fishes? That could be cool.

adavid 7 years, 10 months ago

i'm going to turn it into my own country. sorry everyone.

one_more_bob 7 years, 10 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 10 months ago

"farmers #3"

Which really means "consumers". Why do we think they are using all those herbicides? To keep up with demand and control waste ('waste' translates into higher prices at the store, which is why the prices at the Merc are so high).

My wife's uncle has a dairy farm. He has two "lagoons" on his farm; they look like big, dark lakes... to catch the cow whiz. Nasty, bubbling stuff. That's the cost of giving the consumers what they want.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

salacious_sue,

When farmland was opperating, the City of Lawrence released more ammonia into the Kaw than farmland did.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 10 months ago

Boog would have no problem pushing for rezoning of this land for special use single family housing.

This could be the "lower income single family inclusion zone", Supporting Boogs class division plans.

467 acres, with special zoning could support about 3000 "high density" lots with 5 foot setbacks. Who needs a yard when there is a park within a 5 minute walk.

Using Boogs no walk longer than 5 minutes to a park formula/proposal, the development would have 4 parks. If the current guideline of a park with in 1/2 mile, there would only have to be one park. Would it be bigger?

Hey Times Beach is safe, Love canal is rehabitated....right?

jimincountry 7 years, 10 months ago

A vacation home for Lee Raymond, Exxon's retired ceo.Or, A new home for Guantannamo prisoners.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Here is a good epa site about urban pollution:

I also found a pdf file that had percentages of how much certain populations contribute towards pollution (watershed and ground source type). Yeah, guess what...urbanites were #1, industry #2, farmers #3 (in a list of 3). If I can find a way to get that link on here, I will post it. I'm soooo tired of the uneducated Steve's of the world. All I'm asking is that people actually try to educate themselves before they spout nonsense.

militant 7 years, 10 months ago

I think we need a shooting range. This would be the perfect site for the first training camp of CAT (Citizens Against Terrorism). The could give the Gitmo inmates a 30 sec. head start to run and hide. Invite the Minutemen up to train here too. I'll be running the souviner shop too.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 10 months ago

The teacher said "I'd like to see it become a big park with a lake".

Um... Like, to FISH out of? What part of "poison" does she not get?

They should store nuk-lur waste there. How could it get any worse? Think of the crazy fees we could charge. Then we'd have our money for our parks.

Theno21 7 years, 10 months ago

The first guy says we should build a research facility for KU, the university already has way to many buildings if you ask me they keep raising tuition to build all these buildings soon it will be so high no one will want to attend then what will they do with the "research facility", knowing lawrence they will probably build a bank where farmland was...

Marion Lynn 7 years, 10 months ago

A memorial to the "vision" of the "Progressives" and the Dadism of Boog.

oh wait

the roundabouts and parks every quarter mile will serve for those

and you will be paying for them for years to come

never mind

Thanks.

Marion.

kingdork44 7 years, 10 months ago

I think they should put a Gas Station on that Site. Don't you Think????????

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

Seems like a perfect site for "New Urbanism."

Centrist 7 years, 10 months ago

A Walmart would almost be welcomed with open arms on that site!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

I like Ron's idea. New library. Maybe they could combine it with Kook's idea and make a library/botanical garden. Imagine that. "Where is the reference section?" "It's in the tropical room."

A botanical library might help contribute to the park proliferation, too.

Centrist 7 years, 10 months ago

Shops! East Lawrence has NOTHING ...

consumer1 7 years, 10 months ago

How about selling it to the Maharaji what ever his name is who is using capitalism to spread his love.

consumer1 7 years, 10 months ago

I am thinking that would be a great place for tbe New Salvation Army encampment. Or even a sex offender apartment complex. Then we would easily identify those sex offenders because they would have a lovely green glow about them.

fleeba 7 years, 10 months ago

how about another strip mall, or a bank! we need more banks in this town!

remocxio 7 years, 10 months ago

A $200 million liposuction clinic for Steve paid for by the city. Then they could build a research facility at KU on the worst possible ways to run a city.

Redzilla 7 years, 10 months ago

I like Steve's idea--and hey, maybe he's gotten so healthy from eating organic foods.

Or, you know, maybe we could sell it to a cult. Like maybe the Scientologists would like to set up a new brain laundry in Kansas...

christie 7 years, 10 months ago

I think they should drill for well water and then build houses on it for LHS76 and the like. Go ahead, drink up.

bobberboy 7 years, 10 months ago

adavid. Let me know if I've got you wrong. You think that we need more training camps for Al qaeda ?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

What "special" Steve and others like him fail to understand is that urbanites probably have more nitrogen on their lawn in town then any farmer has on his field. When will the eating population of the world (OH, does that include YOU?) wake up and smell the coffee? Yes, that coffee you're drinking, do you think that country you bought it from has stringent chemical laws? No?

cutny 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Steve, those that make fun of his appearance should take a look in the mirror.

conservativepunker 7 years, 10 months ago

Set for a new Springsteen video.........or yes put in rondabouts and call it "The terror of Lawrence Liberals"

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Wait, wouldn't the outdoor music festival be in the open air weed garden?

DrShades 7 years, 10 months ago

Hipper, that cracks me up, but, let's not forget the GIANT Round-a-bout entrance, and the new Sewer Plant. Plus Parks, we need more parks, don't we?

How about an open air garden to grow our weed? And maybe an Outdoor Music Fesstival.

hipper_than_hip 7 years, 10 months ago

How about a large park with lake/hip-hop entertainment zone for the KC/Topeka crowd? It's big enough for a free-fire zone plus shoot house, and we could throw the bodies into the lake for easy disposal. It could be open air so the disenfranchised smokers would have a place to hang out.

jranderson 7 years, 10 months ago

Paint it green and call is Emerald City.

macon47 7 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see the city and county step away from purchasing this with Our dollars. They will simply pay to much, plus a premium to get it cleaned Up, and then parcel it out for less money than they have invested.

Let a private business develop it with their monies, and let the city and county offer incentives to the developers to provide businesses with good jobs at fair wages. We have about all the foo faa we need in town, and don't need anymore Shrines to the city of Lawrence.

adavid 7 years, 10 months ago

al qaeda PRISON camp? we've got enough of those. what we don't have enough of is TRAINING camps.

inmate 7 years, 10 months ago

I like the prison idea. I would modify it to nonviolent offenders that could tend the parks n in Lawrence during the day.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

It could be given to me so I could start my program to make giant, man-eating mutant lemurs of death.

Next, just a genetics lab for my little men with sticks. . . .

. . . ..the world will be MINE!!!! MWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

. . . HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA mine! hahahahahahah

heh heh

cough

H_Lecter 7 years, 10 months ago

It would be a great place tp make a sequel to the movie Hostel. That is such a fun movie, epecially for kids.

hitme 7 years, 10 months ago

How about a park? You know, we need more parks!

geekin_topekan 7 years, 10 months ago

Make it into a cadaver farm for forensic research.

LHS76 7 years, 10 months ago

hipper_than_hip 7 years, 10 months ago

Turn it into an Al Qaeda prison camp.