Previous   Next

Should the city make sure there is a park within a quarter mile of every home in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 13, 2006

Browse the archives

“I think they need to make sure that there are enough sidewalks and there is better timing on the traffic lights at crosswalks to encourage people to walk more before they worry about building more parks.”

“I’ve got kids so I’m going to say yes. It would be fun to be able to walk there. My 5- and 7-year-old love the parks here.”

“Yes, absolutely. It’s good for student and families, and public parks promote a sense of community.”

“I think with urban sprawl it’s important to include community resources, but they need to make sure that they maintain the park system they already have and not just tear down the old ones while they build new ones.”

Related story

Comments

Nikki May 9 years ago

If you can't walk a half mile, you probably aren't going to walk anyway.

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

Half a mile isn't a walking distance for most people? That's sad. I thought we were supposed to be trying to fight the American weight-gain trend, and here are these city leaders proposing more parks so people don't have to walk as far to be outside. I'm sorry, but it is utterly pathetic. I'm considered physically handicapped, and I am fully capable of walking half a mile. I hate to see able bodies wasted on the able-bodied.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Please. Fix the sewers first.

You should hear the plans for the rebuild of Kasold north of Peterson. If I understand correctly, there will be three roundabouts from K-P intersection to the turnpike overpass. And the turnpike bridge will be rebuilt as 4-lane, but Kasold will only be two. They didn't have enough money to continue the 4-lane to Peterson if they included the roundabouts.

Maybe we should put pumping stations in them?

southerngirl 9 years ago

Having lots of green space is nice-one every 1/4 of a mile- a little much.

Ooh, big niews here in Memphis-are you ready???? WE are getting our first ROUNDABOUT! It's all over the news! Oh, FINALLY something that feels like home (sigh).

acg 9 years ago

You have to be freakin' kidding me, right?

cutny 9 years ago

Yeah, and we got you Marion. Oh baby, baby, baby We Got you. Marion for City Commission. Start your campaign today. PLEASE!!! Better yet, go run Brownback's Presidential campaign. Don't go away, Marion, just go away

assistant1234 9 years ago

Traffic moves at the speed of cold molasses, the sewer system needs work, and we have more pot holes than people, but by all means please spend our tax dollars on parks!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Well, me and my oldest are off to the park this morning. We are driving 6 miles to get there. Upon arrival, we will walk 2 1/2 miles. Then we will go to the grocery store. A park every 1/4 mile...I think acg said it best: "You have to be freakin' kidding me, right?" People who cannot walk more than 1/4 mile are not going to use a park under normal circumstances. What a bunch of fat lazy slobs we've all become! (The handicapped are pardoned from my rant.) And on that note, would they actually make the parks accessible? Paved pathways that wheelchairs can actually navigate?

Seriously_Scoffing

bankboy119 9 years ago

Who's planning on paying for the 1/4 mile parks again?

catwoman 9 years ago

What the heck is this city coming to? Are there not more important things to spend money on then a silly park every other block.

What's the matter Commisioner, did you have an unfullfilled childhood without a park next door? In that case, the city needs to build a school every quarter mile to eliminate the need for buses, that way kids can walk and get exercise all at the same time.

How about using the money for road repairs. Why not spruce up the parks that are already in place? Where are they going to find a big enough patch of land every quarter mile? How many residents will be willing to give up their home, so their backyards can be turned into the neigborhood hang out?

What ever happened to taking the kids to the school playground? Or has that been banned too?

ms_canada 9 years ago

Stop worrying, cooler heads will prevail. Boog did say that it should be considered for FUTURE developing areas. No one is going to come and knock your house down. Read the whole article. That many parks would make the cost of maintenance impossible. Your Parks department people would figure that out and object strongly. They would never get approval for so large a budget.

Hey guys, anybody down there watching the FIFA World cup games?

Berserk 9 years ago

Other cities, with far less funding and far fewer people have installed "timed" city street lights on main drags that keep the traffic flowing.

Basically when you stop at one light, you will not end up stopping at another one untill you cross a buisier street or then end of the timed series. Sometimes traffic crossing these intersections waits a little longer, but this is nessecary, on 6th st. 23rd st. and Iowa. They might as well do it for Wakarusa and add some lights in place of the stop signs also, it won't be another 5 years and this will be nessecary as well.

Reader 9 years ago

Question: If, Just If, These City Parks (Every Quarter Mile) Were To Go In. Would That Sky-Rocket My Property Taxes (Again) More, Than They Are Now? Is That, Or The Plan They Would Have To Generate The Money To Pay For The Up Keep, Maintenance, And Or Man Power To Do It?

Godot 9 years ago

Take a peek at the analysis by the city of their own budget. By performing some acrobats in logic, they have determined that Lawrence's taxes are not high, and that the debt load in Lawrence is low, and they are hellbent-for-leather to rectify that situation.

Kyle Neuer 9 years ago

Anything that gets people off their butts and out from in front of the idiot box has my approval.

ms_canada 9 years ago

OMB and anyone interested in Hockey - this is a pretty dejected town now. The fans had such high hopes a couple of weeks ago and just went nuts, but now are hang-dog. Tomorrow night will be the clincher. If N. Carolina wins, it is all over. They are a pretty darn good bunch of players. Oh well, it's just a game.

Now soccer, that is a game. I do love to watch those guys, can you imagine running up and down that field for 45 minutes and then only a short break and another 45 minutes. That takes stamina and endurance. And it intrigues me that the game is played using only legs and head. Great game.

Kookamooka 9 years ago

I've got an idea....let's require the developers to use 1% of the land they develop for community parks. Sort of like the 1% for art. They are the ones snapping up the land, they should be responsible for giving back a little of what they take for their own greedy interests.

Centrist 9 years ago

You know what? I'm actually FOR this ... there bloody SHOULD be more "green" space. Urban sprawl is out of control and the kids on my street have nowhere to go ..

Yep - strangely, I'm agreeable to this one!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

RI, I love those freaky calculations!

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

Centrist, more parks won't stop urban sprawl. They'll just make it, um, sprawlier.

Centrist 9 years ago

Yah, but at least it won't be just $300k "boxes" like you see now.

Ceallach 9 years ago

75x55 beat me to it -- we all know who will be using all these conveniently placed parks -- the domicile challenged. The next election's cry should be, "it's the streets, sidewalks, and sewers, stupid."

I never cease to be amazed at the topics our illustrious leaders find to evaluate and investigate in what seems to be a never ending battle against the best interests of the actual tax payers of this city. I know, I know, other monies may "help" fund the parks .

Walking or driving half a mile to a park would be considered heavenly in many other areas of our country. Guess we're just toooooo special!

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Ms_C, in previous years, soccer was the best sport to watch because their shorts were short and tight. WOW - what legs....Now all we have is diving, and a speedo makes the best body ugly.

stbaker 9 years ago

I have kids that I frequently take to the park. I believe that there are an adequate number of parks to choose from in Lawrence. Every 1/4 mile? Please...How unrealistic.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Gootsie, how funny! My hubby turned 40 last week and I dug out an old pic of him at 14 in his track "uniform." Tiny little satin shorts. HA! He had muscles galore and was (and still is) quite hunky, but he looked sooooo "Richard Simmons" in those shorts! Way too funny! (I'm relying on his bad memory when I make it to 40...paybacks and all...)

acg 9 years ago

I saw a guy standing in front of Johnny's in those Richard Simmons shorts yesterday. I had to double take because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was like "have I slipped thru a rip in time? Is it 1983? Holy crap, say it ain't so!!". It was highly amusing. Then I also saw a guy in a green mesh half shirt in Dillons a few months back and let me tell you, gals, dude should not have been wearing a half shirt under any circumstances. Instead of a six pack, he was sporting a pony keg, at least. They say history repeats itself, especially in the way of fashion. I surely hope not.

Linda Aikins 9 years ago

Richard Simmons. Now THERE's a man.

Sue, did Mr. Sunflower have a 'fro too?

And acg, those mesh shirts. I'm guessing he had a whale trapped under that mesh along with the pony keg.

OUCH - memories!!!

acg 9 years ago

You got it gootsie. I still see it in my nightmares. The funny part is I stalked the poor schlub around Dillons so I could snap a shot of him on my camera phone and send it to my girlfriends. I was sure no one would believe me.

adavid 9 years ago

ya know, this could work.. a park every quarter-mile replace every bank in the city with a park. voila.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

acg, no fro for the hubby, but both of our older brothers had one!

H_Lecter 9 years ago

How about if we all just have free kool-aid at all the roundabouts. Then all these minor problems will just fade away. I have plenty of Guyana Green for everybody!