Previous   Next

Is being compassionate toward student athletes a necessary quality of a successful coach?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 31, 2006

Browse the archives

“To some extent, but there is also a large need for discipline. Especially with team sports.”

“Sure. I think it’s a people business and you have to be able to relate to the needs of the athletes. I think it’s the responsibility of a coach to make sure that the athletes have a positive overall experience.”

“I think so. I always played better for coaches who I bonded with as a friend and a coach.”

“I think it is important, because to be a good coach, you have to love what you do. So they need to be compassionate towards the players as well as the game.”

Comments

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

I wasn't at all sympathetic to him. I slammed him on everyboard he posted about it. I was actually very rude. I know I talk about getting along but petty behaviour that affects many people burn me up. Then for him to want me to give me info about myself? Just what I asked for for Christmas a deranged wanna be lawyer trying to get me on national exposure because I dared interfere with his petty mindedness. I only have one moniker on here..wonder if I should get another one..do they know if it is the same person? LJW that is? Maybe they will be back as someone new..of course with e_m we will recognize him right away..probably beach the whale also..oops meant save the whales

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

re the ots question: well, a coach should exercise compassion, when a player expresses something which might be upsetting to the administration, and not throw that player off the team, remembering that all of us enjoy freedom of speech and that player had pretty good sense, and that by throwing the player off the team it reflects on the coach and administration negatively.

[now, how's that for an alegory answering the ots question but addressing the fate of our beloved E_M?]

extremely_missed; euphonious_moralizer; eureka_orator?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

RE: "THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT!" glad I didn't decide to let him contact me directly, I think his lock washer has worked itself loose!

badger: I don't think he'd sue you, instead I think he'd seu you, or sew you...

pretty damned sad to latch onto the death of the six-year-old boy to promote his cause!
seems to me, if he'd been less abrasive, he might've gotten along here, but he tossed his own cookies...as the saying goes! so long!ooooooooo

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

WOW! this is the first I can come on here, and I find E_M kicked off...terrible news I say! eeeegads!

Sunflower_sue, any meal which contains sourdough and lots of garlic is good in my book, i.e. I make homemade french onion soup, adding a bunch of garlic besides the big sweet onions which are sauted and then cooked in the broth. served over good sourdough, melted cheese on top. in fact, was planning to make that one tomorrow!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Kansasland - Oh, I imagine several folks have multiple monikers... It's just that EM burned through all of his. May he rest in peace.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

"thick top crust", snort, giggle.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

sweetpea, I didn't get an e-mail from "the COBBLER". Wonder if he thinks I wouldn't be sympathetic to his cause.

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary: Cobbler 1: A shoemaker 2: A clumsy workman 3: A tall iced drink consisting of rum and sugar, garnished with lemon 4: A deep dish fruit pie with a thick top crust

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB,

You mean there are actually people on this board (past and present) with more than one moniker??!! I am in shock!

By the way........did they catch them yahoos who beat up Professor Mierecki yet?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT will become a best-selling novel then award winning movie someday.

Sweatpeaj - Many moons ago... probably April, LJW reconsituted the way things were done. They made it clear it's their board and they can boot per any lil reason they want. Really, they own the servers they can do what they want. I have no problem with that. This all having been said, I'm not sure why EM is not walking with the living anymore. According to his larryville post hewas critical of the author of an article on Sunday. I've done the same thing and had my posts removed but not a complete ban. Apparently, EM had more than one handle on here. I remember extreme makeover, even money, and lithium. Anyhow, I'm sad to see him go.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

sweetpeagj, even tho he was screaming that he wanted to talk to me, I didn't get an email from Shoemaker. It's possible that by that time, he had jumped up on top of his desk and was imitating a howler monkey giving the 'dawn salute'. He'd quit posting for at least an hour before the axe fell on him. Being very rude immediately after outing one's self was not a wise thing for him to do. I suspect that it was the threats to sue everyone right ,left & center that got him disappeared. Oh well, now he's SEP (someone else's problem).

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

ok..Why was e_m removed? I missed something I guess. Did anyone else get a e-mail from Shoemaker? He sent one through LJW and asked me to send him my info so that we could talk. Also, when I went and looked over the OTS for his wave attack all of his were actually gone and the majority of others were removed. How does this happen and why is it allowed? I thought we all had the right to our opinions regardless if it offended the moron of the national wave epidemic. Sorry, he said he was going national with his story. I told him then if he wanted my info (on board not through private e-mail) then he could figure it out.

boogeyman 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm kind of partial to: eat_** (same initials)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

OMB, you made me hungry for some fried catfish. But, alas! I had to settle for some marinated steak grilled 'til properly bloody, roasted veggies (tons of garlic) and some fresh from the oven sourdough. YUM!!! Eat your heart out Gnome with your salivating talk of pot roast.;o)

energetic_masterdebater?

PleatherBob shall be hence forth known as BOB PRO SE. (You set that whole elaborate scheme up just to rid yourself of that name, didn't you?)

kcwarpony 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry to hear that e_m is banned. I'll miss him.

Yes, I admit, I like to lurk:

To everyone else, keep up the good work and thank you for making my day a little less boring.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

omb had some fish to fry today. Usually, I set something up on the server to run & then have anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour to twiddle my thumbs before my query comes back. I've been doing things today that return data very quickly and also didn't have much to contribute regarding coaches also bummed about e_m getting whacked when there are some real yutzes still posting. When I get to be King of the World......

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Sue you are on a ROLL! Love it!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

everyone's_muse eternally_muted extremely_m mature elaborate_misfit

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Hiding from Shoemaker's lawyers. Er, wait, Shoemaker is Pro Se.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes, a balloon seems like it should be a part of this.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Ron, may I have a balloon too?

momof4 8 years, 2 months ago

How about extremely_mature then?

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB: I checked out that site and was sorry to hear that he considers himself too old to have tantrums. I'm older than him and I do so enjoy an occasional tantrum .. now that's the key to not being bitter :) Tantrums!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

The question needs clarification.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie - forget the circling the roundabouts punishment, your new punishment should be that you have to stand in the middle of one and wave at every car.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Hubby votes for engine_malfunction My vote is extrinsic_martyr (now, if that doesn't describe our beloved e_m, I don't know what does!)

Compassion!

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

No it sure doesn't. But he and extreme_makeover will be extremely_missed.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

goto larryville.com. Doesn't sound like he wants to come back.

emphatically_monitored

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Ceallach - exactly! But it would be done in the best of fun because, well, we care.

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

Does the LJW have a 3 strike rule? Where's the compassion (weak attempt at staying on topic)?

Another suggestion for the return of e_m, elastic_membrane. I hope he is able to bounce back.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't think it is. They're there for 3 years. If they have an uncompassionate coach but they still win....that coach is still considered successful in the W column. People would remember the coach as a mean SOB but their teams still won.

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie: embellished_mutant? I doubt that name would last long -- it begs to be abused and banished!!

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

I had the pleasure of knowing two great coaches during my daughter's basketball days. Both coaches, high school and college, were very stern and still appropriately compassionate. They made lasting impressions on the teams and the families of the players by teaching more than b-ball. The simple concept of not violating others' space but aggressively defending your own isn't such a bad thing to learn. (Although at times I thought she enjoyed "defending" her space just a little too much :)

Is it true that e_m was banned? I thought he was probably just busy with some new project! I probably can't say anything else or Ceallach may go away :-/

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes I did break the board. I circled a roundabout twice yesterday - couldn't get right! I have eight more to go.

I think he should come back as embellished_mutant.

THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT was hilarious. Sorry Bob, I know it was at your expense. But WOW! My eyes are still hurting from those screaming capital letters!

irnmadn88 8 years, 2 months ago

I see our esteemed panel has little to contribute to the subject unless it is a political lightning rod...

On topic:

Student comes before athlete. As a coach of student athletes, a coach MUST have compassion for the young person. The person is much more important than the number on the shirt.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Let's just say it's a misspelling gone horribly wrong.

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

Say, Ron, is that your real name? "Ron Burgandy"?

Or are you just a big fan of the movie "Ron Burgundy"?

I only ask because the spelling of your last name is different from that of the movie title.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I forgot to add --

As far as the question: I guess it depends on whether or not the coach is involved with student athletics to begin with. Do we really want our NFL coaches being "compassionate" with student athletes? Doesn't sound right to me, so I say "No."

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

NOOOOOO!!!!!! EM is honestly booted?!!!? Just think, we will never ever never again ever hear from him again!!!

Well, at least not until he is reincarnated again. : ) Will it be in the form of "extreme money," or "even makeover," or something else entirely, like "early morning"??? I hope we don't have to wait long.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I had no involvement in THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT other than reporter and cheerleader.

EM has been found over at larryville. He was booted for some reason.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 2 months ago

Ditka giving the finger to his own fans and throwing gum at them...and we love him anyway!

BRING DITKA BACK TO THE BEARS!!!!!!

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

Re: THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT

Do you suppose he'll sue me?

I should be ok. I have liability insurance.

snork

I blame the bobs of the world for SHOEMAKERS PRO SE.

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

Heck no!

Today's college sports world needs more coaches like Woody Hayes, Lou Holtz, and Frank Kush!! We need more college coaches that aren't afraid to take a player aside and punch him right in the mouth when that player does something stupid!!! Right in the mouth! And hopefully, with a few missing and/or loose teeth, that kid a better player!!

Have a swell day everyone! :)

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

What happened with EM?

OMB's involvement in THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT was similar to a mosquito bite on an already agitated, delusional, and dim Beast. Something was going to set him off and OMB was it.

"Bob, I want to speak with you now."

Giggles.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

bankboy: ask OMB, I think he mentioned he saved it.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, I just poked him with a stick. I didn't know that Nuts-O-Rama was just around the corner.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

What was the Shoemaker Incident? I missed it.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

It should be called "THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT".

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps they were afraid to leave the building yesterday after OMB started what is now known as "The Shoemaker Incident."

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

It was an overload of "Z"s.

Maybe, they were too tired to go out and ask the question, so they just made up four names.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I notice the board has a slightly different format. No pics, messages boxed in. I assume it is because Gottsie broke it the other day.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

The new glamour shots camera must be broken.

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

No pictures? Maybe the interviewees were just really ugly and the LJW was showing compassion for it's readers?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Necessary quality? No. Desired quality? Yes!

Coaches should be both stern and compassionate. My daughter has a coach that is very stern. Yet, she is loved by all of her students. She freely smiles and pats them on the back and gives encouragement. But she is tough. She will let you know when you are doing something she doesn't like.

There is another coach at the same place. Just as stern but has no compassionate side. The kids (and parents) can't stand her. She has made many kids quit because they just can't take her criticism. (Now, these are young kids I'm talking about.) I would think it would be important at any age, though.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

If the definition you're using of 'compassionate' is that you worry all the time about hurting people's feelings and you don't want to offend anyone, then no.

If the definition of 'compassion' you're using is that someone is aware that others have feelings and chooses to act in ways that are truly kind, then not only do coaches need it, but it's a necessary and essential human virtue.

Before anyone denigrates me as a Typical NeoWhatsit FluffyMuffin or whatever, let me clarify that acting with kindness doesn't mean walking on eggshells and being PC and afraid to hurt people's feelings, just really being aware of your actions and trying not to cause undue or unnecessary pain.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I had one of those Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde things going on. That or I just wanted to point out my own stupidity for everyone to see...I don't know.

Good point on the stern vs. compassion thing. Let me revise that a coach doesn't have to be compassionate to be a successful coach in my opinion.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Ron - Did you just start an argument with yourself?

I'd add that just because a coach is stern doesn't mean he/she has no compassion. My dad was very stern but had compassion.

Great game last night as have been the last 4. Looks like the bandwagon will be filling up again.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

"It just depends on personal opinions."

I guess that is why it is asked to several people and posted on a message board for people to comment on...

Good work Ron...

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

What no pictures?

That was a game. Man, was that a game.

To answer the question, not necessarily. A stern coach could be just as good a coach. I am guessing this question is steered towards Bobby Knight, and he has won three national championships. It just depends on personal opinions.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

As opposed to not being compassionte?

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

Nah, those kids are tough. Throw a chair, Bobby! KU got a hold of some extra strenth whoop ass last night!! Seriously, though, nasty attitudes can be a moral killer. You want the althletes to be motivate by the mission, not by what they may fear is going to be the result of a loss.