Previous   Next

Can you name the state song, flower, tree, mammal, bird and reptile?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 29, 2006

Browse the archives

Home on the Range,’ sunflower, cottonwood, maybe a jackrabbit or something, but I really have no idea, meadowlark and some kind of snake.”

“I have no idea, the sunflower, cottonwood, buffalo, meadowlark and a salamander.”

Home on the Range,’ sunflower, cottonwood, buffalo, meadowlark and the box turtle.”

Home on the Range,’ sunflower, cottonwood, bison, meadowlark and I think it’s some kind of turtle. I’m going to say box turtle.”

Related story

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

hear all three arrangements of "home on the range" performed by a very large variety of artists at: www.cowboyculturalsociety.com> my favorite source of internet music (or is that musik).
"happy trails to you, till we meet again ..."

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

indeed Ceallach. sorry.

lawrence song: :"I'm forever chasing rainbows?"

Lawrence tree: "wheeping willow?

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence song: ? ..... Because I Got High

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

I missed all the hoop-de-do yesterday with whaleboy. One word describing him: prat. Apologies to anyone from Pratt. BTW, whilst on my merry way to CO one time, I took the exit one time & gazed in awe at the giant prarie dog. Wow.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Ceallach and sunflower sue - you don't have to be especially wise to google. :o)

Ragingbear 8 years, 2 months ago

State Song: We're off to see the Wizard State Flower: Emerald City Poppy State Tree: Talking Apple Tree State Bird: Western Monkey Bird State Mammal: Cowardly Lion

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I entirely blame Ceallach and Ms. Bea for the bloodbath on posts yesterday. we should punish them by ordering them to stand in the middle of roundabouts in lawrence and wave.

prospector, here's a vote to keep "home on the range" as is. it is beautiful poetry. I have heard three different arrangements, love every one.

now, how about lawrence versions of these state icons?

Lawrence song: ? lawrence bird: ostrich.
lawrence reptile: downtown panhandling homeless.
...

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

I just know that the state prairie dog is located out in Oakley (off of I-70).

Big son-of-a-gun he is!

Must be 15 feet tall, at least. And the thing's gotta weigh 8,000 pounds or more!

I've got a picture of me standing right next to him (taken a few years back) in case anyone is interested.

Anybody else here been out to Oakley? Maybe you've seen him too?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

apparently, popular KS bumper stickers are off limits as well as family dining. Must be good...Must be good!

Ms_C, did you ask Jeeves? (Not that I don't agree that you are truly wise!)

Ceallach 8 years, 2 months ago

EGAD!!!! Testing, testing, to see if I'm still allowed to post! I can see that I must be a good girl and walk the line or I will disgrace the family name by having it banned :(

Oh, and bea, thanks for your words of support -- NOT! I'm innocent I tell you....very nearly innocent (since none of us can claim to be wholly innocent).

I can name the current state inquisitioner .... but I won't because I would just be deleted.

militant, it appears neither family dining nor corporal punishment are suitable topics of discussion.

ms_canada, with or without the bison, you are truly wise!

Purell 8 years, 2 months ago

Better question: Why do we have state animals anyway?

Some posts are disappearing without a trace, I think there were 84 posts, 9 or 20 comments removed and at least 14 that disappeared completely yesterday. Today, at least two have completely disappeared. David Ryan &/or David Cox cranky?

killjoy 8 years, 2 months ago

State inanimate object: roundabout Too bad we already picked the state symbol for the quarter.

militant 8 years, 2 months ago

Can I name all these? I can. don't they have names? Yesterday must be the removal record. Family dining is off limits as a topic.

gaynproud 8 years, 2 months ago

We love you too Fred. Say, how about we have a dinner date tonight? After dinner we do a little slow dancing and well. I'll leave it at that.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Well then, bub, yer message is gettin' a bit confused. Something about "HATE" in big bold protest letters?

Go back to the hole you and Saddam crawled out of.

Fred_Phelps 8 years, 2 months ago

Can't we all just get along? I love each and everyone of you, even those wo are gay.

Love, Fred

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

And if c_man has any say in this issue, Toto is toast,.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

song: "Arizona" flower: saguaro cactus bloom tree: yellow palo verde mammal: ringtail bird: cactus wren reptile: Arizona ridge-nosed rattlesnake

Lets just say this Dorothy isn't in Kansas anymore. Happy Kansas Day to those who are!

The string of removed items from last night might be a record. From what I saw before the "ryan-ization" of posts is that it was just a bunch of restaurant talk. I blame Cealach for making it naughty. ; )

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

You forgot one:

Posting Flatulence :)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

BTW, has anyone gone back to look at yesterday's decimation?

Oh, and I expect to be given a home.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm suspecting the antelope, being Pink Floyd fans, have gone somewhere else to hang out with the hip bison.

Gareth 8 years, 2 months ago

State Song: What a Friend We Have In Jesus State Flower: The Long-Stemmed Jesus State Tree: The Cross State Bird: The Red-Breasted Jesus State Mammal: Jesus

...I mean, that's pretty much what the rest of the country thinks of us....

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Not so clever after all, I forgot the poor old American Buffalo or Bison. Please forgive.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Home On The Range Sunflower Western Meadowlark Ornate Box Turtle Tiger Salamander Honey Bee Cottonwood Tree

Am I not too clever?????

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't know that stuff, but I do know the maiden name of Tarzan's biological mother.

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

I think that since it was written, the song "Home on the Range" needs a makeover. http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/song/ks_home_on_the_range.htm

The only Buffalo I see are in the meat case at the store. There are plenty of deer but the Antelope reintroduction plan failed.

"Where seldom is heard, a discouraging word" Technically, I down heard what is said around here, just my own rants, screams, and sobs, but you get the point.

"On the banks of the Beaver, where seldom if ever Any poisonous herbage doth grow."

SSSSSHHHHH The best 'stuff 'grows down their.

If the Question was, "Do you know when Kansas Day is?", "No" would be the predominate answer. On this glorious Kansas Day, we should update and revise our song.

Anybody?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Fred Phelps also classifies as an insect.

Liberty 8 years, 2 months ago

Do we have a state bug yet?

kutwitch 8 years, 2 months ago

You forgot our amphibian the tiger salamander.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

song: Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb flower: sunflower_sue:) tree: KS has trees? mammal: trap door buffalo bird: flying prairie squid amphibian: flying prairie squid reptile: rattle-headed copper moccasin fruit: Fred Phelps (and family)

Jane 8 years, 2 months ago

State embarrassment: Fred Phelps.

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

On the street forgot to ask people to name the state science. Intelligent Design.

conservativepunker 8 years, 2 months ago

If Kansans only had pride un their state like , say Texans. Even with all the bad or disagreeable, they still love their state. But then, I think Kansans have a bid self-image problem. Dorothy, yeah it's flat (NOT!)...etc. I've been all over, when people ask me where I'm from and I tell them, I give 'em 5 minutes to get The Wizard references out.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, yah. Like I'm SOOO wanting to be a walking encyclopaedia?

Fluff.