Previous   Next

What would you do to make the future city of Lawrence a better place?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 26, 2006

Browse the archives

“I would restrict development. Lawrence is expanding in such a way that it is losing its character.”

“First I would create better traffic flow on 23rd, Sixth and Kasold primarily. We also need to attract industry to create jobs that pay an upper middle class income, but we would need the state’s cooperation.”

“I would just fix the roads. I like Lawrence the way it is, and if the roads were better it would be as good a town as you can find in Kansas.”

“I would try and make it a little easier to get around. Maybe build a bypass around Iowa and 23rd Street.”

Related story

Comments

snoozey 8 years, 2 months ago

Easy..Decriminalize marijuana & sell it out of kiosks located on every roundabout..Make riding the T-bus mandatory for all the fine peoples working in Topeka or KC but living in Lawrence..Give all the homeless folks passing through Lawrence free housing in Eudora..Provide free food & drink for all nudists..Oh, the list is endless!!

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

"Less hippies, more republicans!"

I know no one is around right now to read this, but I just have to say -- I hate this new breed of Neo-conservative Republicans. No passion for the things that make life good. All they care about is consumerism and money, with no real care for other human beings, or the future. Perhpas it is because they are raised on too much tv, and they never learn an appreciation of the good things in life, like the arts. They also claim religion as being important, but it only means they have an excuse to tell others what to do and how they should live. Ugh. So, to make Lawrence, and the world, a better place -- there should be fewer uptight and preachy Republicans.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

Nice to See Ms_canada.
I was worried she had gone into shock with the win of the conservatives in Canada, rather a political earthquake. now, she's here I'm not worried about her!

these Canadian "conservatives" are closer to california mooshy moderate republicans on our side of the border, but still they're proposing a tax cut [amazing!] and closer relations with the U.S. and crackdown on crime. go you guys!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

answer the question: new commish that actually prioritizes infrastructure needs and what citizens care about instead of wasting money on dubious things like lowering emissions, roundabouts, etc.
in fact, change the city's traffic philosophy (does this city have a "traffic philosophy?") instead of traffic calming devices which increase congestion, how about increasing traffic flow efficiency? now, there's a shocking concept for Lawrence.
fix the sidewalks for real with a long term plan, and otherwise make pedestrians safer thus encouraging more walking.
lots more, but these are my top answers.
oh, yeah, Olive Garden comes to Lawrence, I agree!

and, build that Kill-mart on the site of the yellowhouse, as it probably won't be there much longer?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

yeah, if we get a REd Lobster in Lawrence, I can have peace in my home! every time their ads are on TV, MRS. Gnome hurls insults/invective/anatomically impossible suggestions, all because they don't have an outlet here! and to make matters worse, they almost did put in one, a few years ago, by the ALDI's. (31st&Iowa...).

hey, I'm all for the Killjoy-mart, we could just call it: kill-mart, now that's a catchy name!

Napoleon_Dynomite 8 years, 2 months ago

Strip malls with real strippers.

close off the bridges for an annual cat tossing festival

militant 8 years, 2 months ago

allow both concealed carry and open sidearms in town and a publc target range.

nudist 8 years, 2 months ago

Free homeless pizza

...not pizza for them....pizza made from them

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

darn it, why did I have to miss the good comments? I love the hippies. I think everyone in lawrence should have to be a hippie, have been a hippie, or is going to be a hippie eventually. Hippies at every roundabout. Along with lady's in wheelchair with signs about needing help. Go Lawrence!

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and fewer hippies and less folk music.

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

The SLT on the NORTH of 25th route.

from_kansasland 8 years, 2 months ago

Just fix them dang potholes!

That would make me happy!

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

dang..must have missed some good comments to get swiped...heck of it all anyway..

Theno21 8 years, 2 months ago

linux_chick 8 years, 2 months ago

More stoplights.

That way I can imagine that Lawrence is actually the size of Kansas City when it takes me 45 minutes to get across town on Iowa.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, Bob, you did not have to go there........lol.

assistant1234 8 years, 2 months ago

Less hippies, more republicans!

And a really good brick oven pizza place.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

Those of us that don't have a ddegree do stand a chance at getting higher paying jobs. I have seen and worked for agencys that would PREFER education but work experiences would count as such. I have spent years doing social service work without a degree due to the employment that I have had in the past. I didn't enter the work force until I was in my late 20's and can still manage to make a very comfortable living for myself. I am only 36 now. People should be get paid based on knowledge and experience whether it is from a university or through job choices. I have hired people with degrees for entry level jobs but would hire the one with the most experience to higher positions based on job qualifications not what degree that have had.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

prospector 8 years, 2 months ago

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Albert Einstein - "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, blue--Perot also said, "I'm not running around like Sherlock Holmes."

I can just imagine the little guy with the tweed hat, briar pipe, and the magnifying glass...NOPE, that gets filed with s_s's imagery of "little orange shorts."

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Roseanne Roseannadanna: "It's always something."

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Walter Cronkite summed it up best, "That's the way it is..."

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

Ross Perot said something like - "Having a Masters in Business these days qualifies you to be assistant manager on third shift at Dairy Queen".

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Huck, if the requirement was on a posting, yet one gets it, & they have NOT shown extensive knowledge even after one week, how am I or others supposed to trust this or these individuals? The people that moved past me have not come even CLOSE to maintaining or having the required knowledge with or without a degree. Even_Money, you're right. There are no guarantees. I am living proof of that.

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

one last post before I grab some shuteye, in reference to even_money.

"However, there are darn few professional licenses available in this world for those who haven't established an academic foundation first."

I agree and think it's a shame

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

A college degree guarantees nothing. One has to open ones own doors in life.

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

rhd99 what's wrong with hiring people with no degree to a supervisorty position?

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Huck, I wasn't entitled to high paying jobs. If I had my own apartment given what I get now, I would have NOTHING for myself. NOTHING. Even_Money, I have a degree, yet the people for whom I work hired people with NO degree to supervisory positions! How's that for road apples?

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

even money. perhaps I am being too hard on people who've gotten a liberal arts degree. If I were an employer I would not look down on one, my point that I was trying to make was that I also would not look down on a veteran, or someone who has happened to hold a steady blue collar job and wants a shot at higher wages. For an entry level position it's hard to determine who's the "most qualified" and my original post was just my rant against the preference for grads over other people who have just as much a right in the same type of job

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

OTTR - Mr Burgandy's description of Dave and Busters is correct except I would add that they have a full service bar in the middle of the arcade. Kind of like a Chuckie Cheese for adults. Corporate travelers on expense accounts like the place because they can add bags of game tokens to the bill for the meal. Not that I would ever ever do that!

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

rhd99, nothing against white collar jobs, I think it'd be great if Lawrence could get more here, but why should they only go out to grads? Other citizens of Lawrence need high paying jobs as well. I didn't mean to denigrate people with liberal arts degrees, I think the pursuit of knowledge is very admirable but I don't see why that should entitle someone to a better paying job

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Hucklebuck, your comments are serious and thoughtful. Although for many years I eschewed the notion of going to college (I come from an academic family), I realized that higher education would assist me to attain the goals I sought for myself in life.

It's up to each and every one of us to follow whatever path we may choose, and if college isn't in the picture, that shouldn't be looked down upon. Unfortunately the workplace has its own rules too, and the only way I would be able to get through the front door is to be able to wave that EARNED set of credentials.

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

putt putt would be awesome, i'm surprised it went out of business, I'd a thought that would do well in Lawrence

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Huckle, I have a degree. A liberal Arts degree. Now, where I went to school is not important, but I did not go there to learn a trade. There was a study that more Lawrencians now more than ever are educated WITH a degree. Now, the real problem with which our business leaders at the Chamber & leaders at City Hall grapple yet deny, is that THEY CANNOT sell Lawrence to high powered white collar companies. They can't. They don't have the will to do so. That is sad for a highly educated population the size of Lawrence.

wonderhorse 8 years, 2 months ago

Putt-putt and skating rinks. We used to have those. Putt-putt was on the SW corner of 31st and Iowa, and the skating rink was where Kohls is. The other bowling alley is where Wal-Mart is. Those were the (good ol') days.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Good idea S_S! But we'd need to change the name to something else. If they are male and have hooters, that is not a vision I want.

Hucklebuck 8 years, 2 months ago

Ok, after viewing several comments on bringing white collar jobs to Lawrence, and skimming the rest I have to put in my two cents. I have nothing against white collar jobs, my whole family comes from that line of work. However I feel that these jobs are made impossible for someone to get without a college education. One can say, that a higher paying job is a reward for doing something as "noble" as going to college to party, but the fact is, there are many other options besides college that are just as important to a thriving economy, and take just as much work. How about someone who serves in the armed forces, but does not have a college degree? Is he any less deserving of a higher paying job? Or someone that goes to a trade school? Or someone that is just a hard worker, and wanted to make money instead of sitting in four more years of English classes? Again, I know that office-type "white collar" jobs are just as important as blue collar work but why is it that they pay more? People who go to school for engineering, medicine, law, etc... I can understand. And I wouldn't mind if white collar jobs would hire to people without a college education but they don't. Why is my brother with his journalism degree, getting paid more than me working as an insurance adjuster? I wouldn't be hired in his job because I don't have an edjumacation. But I guarentee you that I knew as much as insurance as he did when he took the job. sigh

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

I want a Hooters restaurant that only staffs beefy male waiters. I wanna see some gym studs in those little orange shorts! OK, I just grossed myself out.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Hannibal, Hannibal, Hannibal, Hannibal!!

katethegreat 8 years, 2 months ago

Red Lobster and Olive Garden require 75K residents. So there's no reason for us not to have one.

I think a small grocery store downtown would be nice. I live downtown and don't have a car. It's not easy to hop on a bus with 8 grocery bags and wait a day and a half to get home with them.
I grew up in Memphis Tennessee. We had these small grocery stores on street corners called "Easy Way". Most of it was produce, but they did have other things you need. I think a store like that would do well in a downtown building or around 9th and Alabama. There is a little stripmall there that struggles.

A GROCERY STORE DOWNTOWN!!! And a pharmacy with better prices and hours than Roundcorner. Doesn't have to be a franchise. But seriously...Roundcorner...get your act together. You have very little to choose from and your prices are rediculous.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Atlantis? We wouldn't be suffering with our few choices for seafood in this town.

Hannibal_Lecter 8 years, 2 months ago

I'd like us to develop our own nuclear weapons. We can test them out on Columbia, MO just for fun.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

BugTussle, OK. Because I like the name.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Ok, if the future city of Lawrence had to be based off any city in the world (key word "had") what city would it be?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB-we all want equality don't we...

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Dave and Buster's is an upscale arcade/pool room/restaurant dealy.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

No Pants Monday will be an equal-opportunity day for the chicken-legged, cellutidic, muscular, and knobby kneed. We must coalesce and come together as a bipedal city.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

blue..lol I wonder if it is the same factory that I used to work at. Awful sight to see at seven in the morning.

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB - I'm not with ya on the No Pants deal. They allow factory workers at my job to wear shorts year round. I'm thinkin' that we must not pay them enough because they cannot possibly have a single mirror in their house.

My dream Lawrence would also include Putt Putt, Go Carts, and a Dave and Busters.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, "renowned" also.

Won't American Eagle be sad they got cold feet!

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Didn't someone used to hang umbrellas from trees years ago?

In the future, our city will become internationally renouned for the Hanging Pants of Lawrence.

Good views from Hobbs Taylor :)

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Rather interesting that we've had both a family named Fabian and socialism mentioned today.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

forgive me for quoting a lady off of "Beauty and the Geek", but I would just try to eat less gaseous foods!!

sweetpeagj 8 years, 2 months ago

Ok..all this talk of seafood is just driving me nuts..I know when I lived in Lawrence seafood was out of the question. To all of you that want shrimp and cheesy biscuit things I can walk across the street and go to keys fisherie and get them. I have figured out though that they make the best lobster rueben possible. Sounds gross but is heavenly. Fish tacos are also really good as long as it is good fish and not some of the crap out in the stores. The OTS..I would try to fix up all the areas that keep getting promised with traffic and housing before trying to bring in more building plans. Why do they need another Apartment complex. All Lawrence is made up of apartments that are substandard but are affordable to the job market for single income families or college students.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

How much was this SLT anyway? How long is it before it's paid for?

kpippen 8 years, 2 months ago

Cut off all contact with Topeka Ban Drum Circles

LOL!

geezus, just finish the dam SLT.

BunE 8 years, 2 months ago

1. Accept that Lawrence is just a bedroom community with a neato college
  2. More Skin on HBO
  3. Mandatory Smoking in the City Hall
  4. Cut off all contact with Topeka
  5. Build up, not out
  6. Ban Drum Circles

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

They should just build waterslides that go off the end of the SLT and over Iowa street. Then we could get some real use out of it.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

DViper, I proposed no such thing as living wages, but come on, something HAS to give. Don't blue collar workers deserve a chance? No, not a handout, thank you. That SLT has been & continues to be a THORN in our sides. Hmm, how long since it was passed till now that the SLT is STILL not complete?

Becky Finger 8 years, 2 months ago

i dunno i guess i would.....give everybody chocolate!!!!!!!!! oh yeah and ban those stupid roundabouts like already stated by everybody else.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

But the shrimp vein poo adds so much taste...

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Socialist king crab legs smothered in shrimp vein poo.

(That'll keep yez all from eating too much for lunch :)

1. Complete the SLT.
  2. Require all KSU and MU fans to move to Topeka.

dviper 8 years, 2 months ago

Rhd99 -

Good point. Let's add it to the list.

24. Pass new law requiring all employers to pay a mandatory living wage of hmmmmm????? $19.75 per hour???

25. Ban the SLT.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

By the way, for one to suggest that I am a proponent of socialism because of the problems with wages & jobs in our economy, it's called average Americans getting a FAIR opportunity. It is NOT about going into the realm of what the former USSR was or what China is. Unions in this country HAVE to step up & challenge the powers that be on their unfair cost cutting measures that include slashing jobs when there is NO chance (like with Ford) to be competitive when history is clearly not on their side in terms of innovation. Ford, for instance, NOW wants to cut jobs, oh that'll make them profitable, RIGHT!

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

DVIPER, You bring up inflation, how about wage increases here to REFLECT inflation? Prices in this inflationary period DO NOT jive with wages. The Desparity has to come to an END!

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

You can get on Fabians mailing list and they mail you cards of exactly when and where they will be. Dan usually sets up at RACO carwash on Iowa but it changes from time to time so check to make sure. *All they send you on their mailing list is a card so they do not bother you with floods of mail....fyi.... It is the best!

dviper 8 years, 2 months ago

Here's just a few things that can be done to make Lawrence more like the 'Character' of the great ole' Lawrence of yesteryear that we all love so dearly, and just a few tiny improvement ideas.

1. Allow more bars and liquor stores downtown
  2. Allow more downtown street demonstrations no permits needed
  3. Raise the price of parking downtown to adjust with inflation should be around $1.97 per 10 minutes.
  4. Ban all free parking
  5. Ban all new businesses unless they are downtown
  6. Institute a new tax on all businesses not located downtown
  7. Institute a new tax on all new business locating to Lawrence. Call it a privilege to have a business in Lawrence tax.
  8. Encourage more homeless people to live downtown
  9. Re-open the closed homeless shelters no rules, just come as you go
  10. Allow camping in all city parks
  11. Build more roundabouts and traffic circles
  12. Encourage more student ghetto housing near the university
  13. Allow indoor furniture for use on all front porches
  14. Ban enforcement all of building codes within a 15 block radius of downtown
  15. Ban all new housing developments unless they are 'new urbanism' in design
  16. Ban all developers and builders unless they are strict 'new urbanists'.
  17. Ban Wal-Mart and all big box chain stores
  18. Ban SUV's and all cars without a Jayhawk sticker
  19. Repeal the smoking ban
  20. Make pot legal
  21. Change the legal drinking age back to 18.
  22. Designate the Baker wetlands as a unique endangered national treasure and historic Indian burial ground.
  23. Ban all streets with more than one lane each direction, except Iowa, 23rd, and 6th streets.

kpippen 8 years, 2 months ago

website says, they give ya a heads up via email or postcard when they are arriving.

looks legit to me, i'll try it this year.

Thx for the tip Aiko

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

kpippen, not for a couple of days but for a few hours. They load the truck up in Galveston and ice down the goods and then hit their locations. Nothing is frozen and the low count (large) shrimp are huge so I highly recommend it.

lunacydetector 8 years, 2 months ago

i would stop the pandering to the special interests, but most importantly, i would get absentee voters involved so lawrence can vote for people who embrace growth and job creation allowing for affordable housing people can own as opposed to rent. i'd stop the roundabout building, hire more police, and send the professional pan handlers on their merry way.

kpippen 8 years, 2 months ago

got it RB.

Aiko, Fabians looks legit. Do they just set up in parking lot for a couple days?

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't know of any place in Lawrence that has good ones. I would recommend Jumpin' Catfish in Olathe, their crab legs are pretty good.

I am not much into the how to prepare them, I have always been skeptical of the grocery store version, but they could be just as good, if not better, than any restaurants if done right I suppose.

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

I have to admit I got a little hooked on my Blackberry so I put it away. It was like a monkey on my back!

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

For you Shrimp lovers go to www.fabianseafood.com. I know the family from Galveston and they come to Lawrence several times a year. You cannot get any fresher!

staff04 8 years, 2 months ago

To all who have been discussing the Blackberry issue:

You want to know something that will really irk you? Congress has protected itself from such a shutdown. They are exempted and will not lose service even if the judge rules in NTP's favor.

We refer to them here affectionately as Crackberries...people can't seem to put them down.

kpippen 8 years, 2 months ago

RB, can you get decent crab legs in Ltown? if so, how do you prepare them?

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

kpippen, I've learned an Austin truism in the last six months: Everything is better if you cook it on a stick, cook it with fire, wrap it in a tortilla, put guacamole on it, or some combination of all four.

offtotheright 8 years, 2 months ago

1. No more hippies
  2. Get rid of the homeless/no more panhandlers in wheelchairs
  3. Get rid of that humongous bump at the Johnny's intersection
  4. No more fast food.
  5. Get rid of half of the banks
  6. Can the commish

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Forget shrimp, there's nothing better than a big plate of alaskan king crab legs...

kpippen 8 years, 2 months ago

Finish SLT & Ban Hippies

Job mkt in Lawrence blows. period.

"drop them in a bowl with some tequila, spices, and lime, leave them for an hour, then put them on sticks and cook them with fire."

-Dang man!! that sounds tasty!!

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 2 months ago

Since evidently the city spent millions and millions of dollars putting in the cursed and evil roundabouts (at least that's the impression I get from all the whining about them I see) why would they spend more millions to remove them? (and thereby cause even more whining)

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

sue -

I do actually usually devein the shrimp, because it can leave a grainy taste in your mouth sometimes, and I don't like to think I might be eating shrimp poo.

My general MO is to get myself a pound or two of shrimp, have a furious shelling-deveining, drop them in a bowl with some tequila, spices, and lime, leave them for an hour, then put them on sticks and cook them with fire.

Sometimes I just boil them with spices and eat them peel & eat style, though, and pick the vein out with my fingernails. If I can't see it, though, I just don't bother.

Since I moved down here, where I can get them fresh, I eat shrimp once or twice a week.

ms_canada 8 years, 2 months ago

Question & answer - remove roundabouts and fix sidewalks. Other - all this talk of seafood, (where did that come from has me salivating beyond control. I am ready to head for Haines, Alaska for more Dungness Crab. The best ever, caught every morning by the restraunt owner, thought I'd died and gone to heaven. munch, munch, yumm

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

Negative attitude my fanny. There's nothing wrong with production-based light industrial, and I never said there was. However, there are a lot of ten dollar an hour jobs in Lawrence. What's lacking is something to employ the people who now commute to KC or Topeka, and that's jobs with median salaries closer to 50k and opportunities for a good six figures.

No one is commuting for ten bucks an hour.

Let's say you bring in five LI plants with 100 jobs each, 95 of which are ten to twelve bucks an hour. That's well and good for families with two incomes or people who aren't raising children. But a single-income family with kids won't be able to buy a house, or save for college, or lots of other things.

The alternative is to bring in five businesses with 100 jobs each, 90 of which make more than 30k. That provides people graduating from the University the option of staying in a town they've come to love, offers opportunities to be a single-income family without scrounging every penny and living paycheck to paycheck, it draws people who can afford to live in Lawrence and buy houses here and fund the schools with their property taxes. Given that the LI businesses will probably be given outrageous tax breaks, the city's gotta make money somehow.

When I was looking for work in Lawrence, jobs were hand over fist - so long as I didn't care to make more than twelve bucks an hour. The gap is in that next step up, available employment (outside the University) that pays more than 25k annually.

When I moved to Austin, my pay almost doubled (contrary to popular belief, my living expenses only increased by about 30%, and internet and water bills actually went down) because instead of having to take clerical accounting or administrative positions if I wanted to work and live in the same town, I was able to actually get a technical job, using my skill set and education. Those jobs just aren't available at all in Lawrence.

They need to be. Blue collar is grand, and necessary to maintaining the economy in Lawrence. But white collar is the key to expanding the economy in Lawrence. If the only way to make more than sixty thousand a year is to live in Lawrence but work outside it, you'll never be more than a bedroom community.

Please don't invent prejudices on my part that don't exist and apply them to my words.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't know about seafood for breakfast being uncouth, but the thought of fish tacos makes me cringe.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Katy, I agree 100% with the ice rink for the kiddies!

Ms_C, what do you think that Lawrence does not have even 1 ice rink? Are we crazy?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB, I was trying to ask Badger if he bothered to "de-vein" his shrimp before eating them, but I asked you by mistake. When I go out to the coast w/ the hubby's family, they couldn't care less about eating that giant poop vein in the shrimp. gagging noises here

Bring me a porter house! Medium rare. (Don't get me wrong, I love seafood...when it's fresh and poop free.)

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

How does Lawrence end the ANTI-business mentality? The days of being a bedroom community only to K.C. & Topeka are OVER, & now this City Commission has a job to do to make this a REALITY!

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

You guys are all making me very, very hungry... I wonder if seafood for breakfast is considered uncouth? Oh, well, who cares?

jrlii 8 years, 2 months ago

The anti-business atmosphere in Lawrence needs to come to an end.

Maybe if a developer had to recruit businesses which would provide at least one job for every housing unit they built. . . Na, they'd just set up cheap to get into businesses which would promptly go bust, and just add it on to the cost of the house.

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Pardon the laundry list but here it goes: 1. Get rid of the ROUNDABOUTS 2. Attract higher paying jobs 3. Strip the various bans that cripple certain activity. 4. Work on traffic improvements for 6th, Iowa, Mass, & 23rd Streets. This includes left turn signals on ALL streets. I have yet to see Mass. street with left tunr signals on ALL lights. 5. Create a coalition that can explore & perhaps recommend ways to make apartment living & housing AFFORDABLE for ALL Lawrencians. So far, I have yet to see City commissions do their jobs until they address the five above mentioned BASICS to make Lawrence a great place to live.

Kathleen Christian 8 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence needs: Affordable rental & buyer homes and jobs that can pay to afford them. Deal with the road situation first before building more homes. No more apartments. Build an Ice/Roller skating rink for the Youths in this town so they don't have to go to KC or Topeka. No more Liquor stores and Banks or Fast food joints.

optimist 8 years, 2 months ago

For the person who was questioning the reason for BlackBerry potentially being shut down.

A federal judge must decide by next month whether or not to shut down the service. A patent infringement lawsuit was filed against RIM (Resource In Motion), the providers of BlackBerry technology, some time ago. The decision on the case went against RIM a couple of months ago. The judge's decision is scheduled to be announced next month some time. If the judge decides the service should be shut down it will likely happen within 24 hours of the decision.

Unless the Plaintiff in the case plays real hardball it is likely that some agreement will be made between the two parties that will satisfy the Plaintiff. I would expect it to be a significant financial settlement given the popularity of BlackBerry.

All parties as well as the judge must be aware of the financial cost this decision could have on other business and possibly the government which will affect the economy. I hope a reasoned solution can be found. I really like my BlackBerry.

LocalYocal 8 years, 2 months ago

David Graham, you're an idiot.

optimist 8 years, 2 months ago

"Try to bring in technical and engineering design and bioscience firms..."

These types of jobs are great but to truly build a middle class community we need those production and light industrial jobs. Those are the kinds of jobs most Americans live on. Most do not go to college or vocational school. These jobs are a great way for those without advanced educations to learn skills they can build on. If they do well and work hard they can improve their earning potential.

The negative attitudes so many people have about these types of jobs are degrading to those who work them. These are the jobs that actually keep this country going. It's this attitude that creates the climate for sending jobs overseas.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Last Sunday we enjoyed delicious poached pacific salmon at the Hereford House breakfast/brunch buffet.

Support good Lawrence restaurants!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie - I knew on the blackberry. I was confused about the "poop vein" munch munch comment.

If there was a White Castle in Dodge then I missed it. Everytime we went there it was El Charros.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB - they may show down the Blackberry technology next month for some reason - monopoly maybe? I don't remember. Did you know it's called a Blackberry because the keys look like blackberries? Very clever...I bet some firm got paid $80,000 to come up with that!

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

Mr. McGrumpy. Good one RB!

ACG, want me to bring you some cheesy biscuit things home from KC? I too love Red Lobster - reasonably priced and yes on the CBTs. YUM!!!

And White Castle? Oh yeah. Didn't have THOSE in Dodge City, did we TOB?

Aiko 8 years, 2 months ago

A new shelter for the troubled barrista's.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

A seafood restaurant that we need: Jumpin' Catfish. I love their all you can eat crab legs...oh man it's only 9 and I am so hungry.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Sue - I'm sorry... don't follow... not until the meds... please explain.

ACG - Tongue bitten. Haven't been to the Lobster in awhile. My wife's been eating mac/cheese with ketchup and pickle. I can't even be in the room. Cheesy biscuit things sound like a delicacy to me now.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Huckleberry, did you hear you might get shut down? Oh, wait, that was Blackberry...sorry.

Huckleberry 8 years, 2 months ago

Badger's got it. Plus repair the roads...and add an Irish pub

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, that shrimp thing was for badger, not TOB. OOPS!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Badger - I have not tried that place. I'll give it a try. Seafood is more of a want, most definately not a need. I usually do the grocery store when I'm jonesing for some.

I am standing firm on the White Castle though.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

My spelling just might improve, also. :)

TOB, I bet you dont even take out that "Poop vein", do you? munch, munch...

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB Bite your tongue. Not preggo again, I hope, just hungry. And I love Red Lobster. Badger's right, Marisco's is good too. But they don't have cheesy biscuit things. Mmmmm.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh lordy, Bob. When dad was down there and I'd visit it was Seafood Seafood Seafood. I have close family in Seattle also. Oh well, living in the midwest. At least I can get a decent Steak.

A serious answer for me for once... to make Lawrence a better place... either complete the SLT or drop it and find another alternative.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Ban bowhunters who don't own their own property and have to go beg a farmer to try and kill some animal because "its doing the farmer a favor buy killing what is eating massive amounts of his crop." You want to help control overpopulated deer and turkeys, get some d@mn ammo and shoot the first critter you see. And don't wait for the "big one" to put on the wall. (Sorry, just sick of hunters today for some odd reason. I'm sure these feelings will pass as soon as I take my meds.)

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB -

Have you tried Marisco's? I had a few very nice meals there for considerably less than fifty bucks, and they had a decent variety of seafood items last time I went (which was about a year ago).

I guess (munches fresh Gulf shrimp) I don't (munch munch) see all the appeal (peel, munch) of Red Lobster (Mmmm, shrimp), but that's probably because (munch, peel, munch) I can buy a lot of fresh seafood (munch) in the grocery store (munch, munch, peel, munch). Plus, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a restaurant that offers coastal Mexican around here, which is heavy on the fish.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

TOB, ya want fish, drive down here to Space City.

Bowhunter99 8 years, 2 months ago

Affordable Housing is not going to happen as long as you keep demanding 'high paying entry level jobs' because 'noone can survive on less than $14/hr...

The blunt of the cost of building a house comes from wages... and if people is forced to pay some half-drunk-half stoned individual $10/hr to clean up the job site, help move lumber boards, pull cables for electricians, etc, then of course housing is going to be expensive.

I'm tired of hearing people demanding high living wages for jobs that anyone breathing can do... If we pay the people in MCdonalds and Walmart $25/hr, then a Value meal would cost $9.99 and the people making $25/hr could not afford their $500/week grocery bill.

And yes.... stop demanding 'someone else to bring high paying jobs' to the city. Why don't you create them instead of blaming 'them' for not having good paying jobs here?

and... in case you've forgotten... The Government main source of revenue are Taxes. So, the more 'stuff' you ask the government to provide, the higher YOUR taxes will be.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

It should be against the law to sell seafood in the midwest. BARF! Lawrence should have a talapia farm or two. They would go well with cheesy biscuit thingies.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

In short...more food, who cares if I can't afford the housing I am living in!

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Topside...how can you challenge the tastiness of burrito king?...eh, what am I saying. White Castle would be sweet. Red Lobster and an Olive Garden would seal it though.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 2 months ago

Badger- I like the green idea. I think Lawrence could excel in that field.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 2 months ago

White Castle!!!!!!!!! I second that!

ACG = Cheesy biscuit things... are you pregnant again?

I see where people are coming with the Red Lobster angle... although Red Lobster wouldn't be my choice. There are not any places to get seafood. Granted, I can go to Panchamama's and spend $50 on a meal of baked grouper but something more reasonable.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Didn't David Graham get interviewed the other day? Is he sidelining as a barista?

Lawrence: Make it socially acceptable to publicly flog any parent that brings a screaming, whining toddler to any movie above a G rating.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

Flying cars, but only if they are fueled by hemp oil.

Topside 8 years, 2 months ago

Red Lobster ?!?! Get REal dude what we need is a White Castle. I would like a drivethru non-burrito option after 1 am.

born1980 8 years, 2 months ago

More smelly hippies would be nice. My day just isn't complete without getting a nice strong whiff of their stinky cologne.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

Try to bring in technical and engineering design and bioscience firms - which have much higher median salaries and more opportunities for recent graduates than traditional production-based light industrial.

Encourage small businesses to start up and prosper with a loan and mentorship program.

Encourage alternative energy use (in some cities, you can have the option of 'green' power for your house, where the city gets the power from alternative sources).

Develop Lawrence Municipal Airport enough to have puddlejumpers or shuttles from neighboring airports (KCI, Tulsa, OKC, Boulder, Omaha) land there regularly by 2010, removing the perception that to get anywhere from Lawrence, you have to go through Kansas City, and easing business travel considerably.

In short, work with your assets (arts, creativity, large university, highly degreed populace that would like to be working closer to home, environmental friendliness, accessibility) to draw in businesses which will really generate incomes, the technical businesses, development, software, computer chips, biosciences, research. Production-based light industrial, like a candy bar, is a quick fix, but for long term growth you really need an identity as a city. If Lawrence doesn't hoof it to stand out and build its own professional identity pretty quickly, its identity will forever be 'a nice place to live if you work in KC.'

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 2 months ago

Having lived in a town that more than doubled size in a decade, I can only recommend that Lawrence planners take a long hard look at the infrastructure. If you build 1000 homes, are there schools for the potential child residents? Are the roads adequate? Is there enough water? What about the hospital?

You must make it attractive to not only new residents who want to be a part of a well thought out community, but you must make it attractive to the support businesses without destroying the charm of the businesses we have.

Lawrence should be a community on its own, not just a bedroom community for Topeka or KC.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

All this other stuff ya'll are saying is great, more affordable housing, places for the homeless, living wages, traffic calming plans, blah blah blah but..blueharley hit it on the head. The most important improvement they could make. RED LOBSTER! I'm totally not being sarcastic here. I could seriously eat some cheesy biscuit things right now.

Gootsie 8 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Consumer1. We need more affordable housing that isn't (no offense to Bob) made of old cracked pleather. And it would be nice if we could earn enough to actually work in Lawrence and own said housing.

And free banana splits for everyone!

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I almost forget. Make a statue of Walt the Blacksmith to put on every roundabout, and make carrying swords by Walt mandatory.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Make flying cars mandatory.

Make businesses pay a large tax when 50% or more of their merchandise is from overseas suppliers.

Have an annual "Pleather Day," and make Pleather Bob mayor.

Allow bars to have indoor fireworks.

Double the amount of human sacrifices each year so the gods will continue to smile upon the basketball team.

Have businesses pay a livable wage in order to do business in Lawrence.

Okay, I know this is crazy. A livable wage! What was I thinking? All the rest is possible, though.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 2 months ago

Close all streets except for 23rd, Iowa, 6th & Massachusetts and let the people battle it out. Build roundabouts at every intersection and get rid of all traffic lights.

And let's build another "bypass" except close off both ends so no one could get on. I think that makes about as much sense as what we have now.

consumer1 8 years, 2 months ago

Create affordable housing for middle income people. Oh I guess housing already exist, it just happens to be in the price range that only upper class can afford. A $125,00. house in the rest of Kansas sells for $225.00 here. So, a $125.000. house is basically a sh*t hole here.

wolfmn58 8 years, 2 months ago

Did I hear someone say a bypass. Like thats going to happen???????

neopolss 8 years, 2 months ago

Fix the potholes, and balloons and pit bulls on every street corner.

Manson 8 years, 2 months ago

I agree with killjoy.

As for lastnights KU game.....Two words

Micha Who?

Oh wait two more......

Brandon Rush

boogeyman 8 years, 2 months ago

dancing poles on the roundabouts

killjoy 8 years, 2 months ago

City-wide ban on roundabouts & Fred Phelps, Add a fruitcake festival Volunteer posses to locate the homeless allow fireworks a store where we can do one-stop shoping for fireworks, ammo, liqour, birth-control devices, pop, & twinkies...next to the high schools...yes, I'm kidding

blue73harley 8 years, 2 months ago

A change in City Kommissioners, less bans, fewer traffic calming devices, better traffic flow, a completed SLT, a Red Lobster, a Lowes, more light industrial jobs and maybe even a circus or two.

kansasdaughter 8 years, 2 months ago

Merril, agreed. Please stop building apartment buildings!

Richard Heckler 8 years, 2 months ago

Forget approving more new housing until Lawrence has a balance of light industrial higher salaried jobs. Otherwise our property taxes and other taxes will continue their annual rise of more than the average cost of living increase of 2%-3%. Housing cost all taxpayers too much money.

even_money 8 years, 2 months ago

Raytheon Announces Northeast Kansas Expansion to Meet Expected Business Growth with New Facility in Lawrence

LAWRENCE, KS., Jan. 26, 2006 /JWNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company will construct a new 940,000 square-foot, three-story campus facility in Lawrence's newly created 'No Place Like Home' Business Park. The new campus will be located on 200 acres south and east of O'Connell Rd. Construction will begin in February 2007 with planned occupancy by early 2008.

"This new facility demonstrates Raytheon's continuing commitment to our customers and this outstanding community," said Ralph W. Emerson, Raytheon's senior executive for Lawrence. "We are realizing significant business growth in and above Kansas. Our new modern facilities will provide vastly enhanced capabilities to our customers and employees."

The new campus, which will be owned by the company, will accommodate 5000 people. It will consist of space for engineering, design, management, customer support and business development.

The design architects for the new facility are Design Consortium Architects of Lawrence, and Big / Bigger / Biggest, LLP of Lawrence will construct the buildings.

Raytheon's facilities in Kansas are managed by Raytheon's Civilian Arm of Telecommunication Satellite Systems.

Symbolizing this fortuitous development process, one roundabout south of town will be ceremoniously dynamited.