Previous   Next

Would you ever want to be a volunteer firefighter?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on August 10, 2006

Browse the archives

“If the manpower wasn’t there, I would give consideration to it.”

“No. I have two little kids; I don’t want to die.”

“Yeah. I think It’s every boy’s dream at some point in their life.”

“No. I don’t think I would be strong enough to do it. I think it’s something professionals should do.”

Related story

Comments

southerngirl 8 years, 10 months ago

Oooh, Im first, I'm first, I'm first!!! Blame TN schools, Middle Schools and High School START at 7am.

You would not want me to be a firefighter. I'm glad that there are men and women who want to do that job, but it is not for me.

I am pretty sure that I went to school with Jasonne Grabber in Topeka back in the 80's-hi Jasonne!!

d

southerngirl 8 years, 10 months ago

Ack! darn you bmwjhawk-you beat me to the posting! My one chance at fame and fortune....

d

smokey 8 years, 10 months ago

Its a great feeling to be helping the community that you live in.... volunteer and fulltime fireman

DanFreako 8 years, 10 months ago

Southerngirl, the word for the day is valium ....look into it.

reginafliangie 8 years, 10 months ago

It is totally a thankless job. But much needed. These volunteer men and women have full time jobs, kids, etc. But they go when called. Its the same with volunteer medical first responders, they go when called, 24/7. I value and commend these hard working men and women. Thanks for caring.

craigers 8 years, 10 months ago

Sure, but you would have to have a job that is considerate of your outside obligations. The job would be very rewarding.

reginafliangie 8 years, 10 months ago

Well, thats why its a problem during the day time, nobody to respond because they are at there regular jobs.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 10 months ago

Not for me I know that I would be terrible but I know several vol. firefighters and they love what they do. Yeah there are times when it is hard getting that call but they go and do it. Hats off to ya.

mztrendy 8 years, 10 months ago

I used to be a volunteer firefighter a couple of years ago until my child was born. It was hot and tiring, but pretty exciting for the most part. Waking up at 3 AM to go out to an accident or fire was always interesting.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

It's definitely not a job for everyone, for a number of reasons (not the least of which is the physical requirements, which is a primary reason I would never even be able to consider firefighting). But it is a job for which I have a great deal of respect. I have even more respect after last January, when a firefighter was killed while responding to a dozen-car pileup on an icy highway, one of which was my car. Emergency response is a selfless occupation.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

"I used to be a volunteer firefighter a couple of years ago until my child was born. It was hot and tiring, but pretty exciting for the most part."

That would have been an amazing post right there.

djs 8 years, 10 months ago

Not only are small towns not able to hire professional firefighters, but townships can't hire firefighters. There are several vol fire departments in Douglas county, and they all need volunteers!

mztrendy 8 years, 10 months ago

Well, I meant the whole firefighting thing, but whatever. It fits for both I guess!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

I live in a township so I depend on the volunteer firefighters. Rock on , brothers!
I've never had a desire to do this job but I have helped put out fires of the field and grass variety.
I remember one year when a bean field caught on fire because of careless trash burning. I (as well as many in the "neighborhood") showed up with whatever we had to help put out the fire. One cool 'ol chick showed up with lots of 5 gal. buckets full of wet gunny sacks and lots of ice cold beer. She's my hero!

linus 8 years, 10 months ago

Would I ever WANT to be a firefighter? Absolutely Would I ever have the COURAGE to be one? I don't think so!
My hat is off to all firefighters! No one can ever thank you enough for the work you do!!! I don't care if you're a "volunteer" or a "professional"...YOU ARE THE BEST!

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 10 months ago

southrngrl: Just like in the movies, when bad guy talks too long about how they will finally get to kill the hero, and then something happens to the bad guy, you spent too much time gloating. Should have just posted. :-)

Gee whiz, Nancy, a tad bit on the negative side. Don't you think? "I don't want to die." And you won't! It's not like they are looking for volunteer firefighters in NYC. I think the last time a firefighter was killed around here was about 25 years ago.

I would definitely do it. I have several friends that do it and they love it.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Fatty, A great young firefighter was killed "around here" while responding to an accident in Dec of '04.

reginafliangie 8 years, 10 months ago

That was in JOCO, not DGCO, the last DGCO fatality was in 1984.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 10 months ago

I couldn't quickly find a date on the other fatality, but the firefighter I mentioned was only the second firefighter in Ann Arbor's history to be killed on duty.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Regina, Fairmount Township is on the west side of Basehor which is where I was talking about. The young man killed was from Tonganoxie. Let's not forget how close Lawrence is to the DGCO border. (I have a Lawrence address but live in LVCO.) Regardless, it's too close to home no matter where it is.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower, you are correct that the young man was killed on his way to the fire. His death, while tragic, was not caused by his being a volunteer firefighter. It was the result of excessive speed in poor conditions. I believe that he also ran into a police car on his way. I guess I should have clarified that my assertion was that no volunteer/regular firefighter has been killed FIGHTING A FIRE in at least 20 years.

ms_canada 8 years, 10 months ago

Hello from ceallach and ms canada greetings to you all from Sunny Edmonton. Having a great ole gab session here. The province will never be the same, it just won't recover. Tomorrow we hit the Folk Music Festival. At 6pm we will be treated to a cajun jamboree and at 8pm a group from Northern England. Have fun kiddies and try to stay cool. ms_canada

Hey guys! This is by far the best bed and breakfast I have EVER stayed in!! What service, wow! Been to her "wee cottage" at the lake (it's nearly as big as my house!!), had a tour of the city and tonight we will have dinner at "A Touch of the Ukraine" to celebrate their grandson's birthday and their anniversary. What a great couple they are, ms_canada and her good man.

I know some people dream about becoming a firefighter, but my dreams that involve firefighters never include my actually being one :) I am often called on to put out "fires" between co-workers, does that count? Ceallach

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

"Hey!" To you two up north! Ceal, I know you must miss the 108* we had yesterday. Just go stand in front of the blowdrier set on hot if you get homesick. :) Just had to rub in in...did you? Careful of all the extra security you might encounter at the airports on your way home! Sending out a big "thank you" to British airlines!!!

Fatty, the fireman that was killed was on his way to the fire and he was struck by another on their way, as well. Can't forget that racing to a fire is part of the job. He died while in the line of duty and he gets full credit and respect for that. The fire he was going to put him there...but I really don't want to add disrespect to the death of a brave young man so I'll no longer argue the point. No disrespect to the Sherrif that struck him either. Just a tragic accident.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 10 months ago

I think it would rather exciting to be a firefighter. On hot days and nights like these it wouldn't be to great of a job, but saving lives is always a good thing. I believe that a firefighter has a sense of goodness in them when they rescue others in need.

Throwing this in here............ A friend stoped by about an hour ago. Someone had dropped off the cutest little puppy on her door step last night. This little pup now needs a home and she doesn't want to take it the shelter so they don't put it down.

The puppy is about 6 weeks old. Its brown/black with white tips on its back paws. It has blue eyes and it looks like a beagle mix with something else. I don't know, but its to cute..............

If you know of anyone who wants this adorable puppy, you can contact me through here or email me.

Thanks everyone and have a great day.

Jeff Goodrick 8 years, 10 months ago

Would I become a vol firefighter, yea and been doing it for 29 years. It all makes it worth while when an 8 year old kid comes up to you, at his parents house fire,and tells you that I showed him how to get out his burning house by crawling out on his hands and knees at a school fire prevention program.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

Way to go Gearhead! We need more like you. BTW, does hardhat and lamp qualify as headgear?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

TOB, I can never speak (type) again. :*(
OMB, Does a fireman's suit qualify as pleather?

southerngirl 8 years, 10 months ago

Posted by DanFreako (anonymous) on August 10, 2006 at 8:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Southerngirl, the word for the day is valium ....look into it.

For me or for you? Life is like a Klondike bar Dan, you have to seize it and eat it before someone else comes along and steals it...

Posted by Fatty_McButterpants (anonymous) on August 10, 2006 at 9:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Ya got me there, but I'll be back...

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

southerngirl, you got my vote. I think you were robbed!

gphawk89 8 years, 10 months ago

I have recurring dreams about a fire that I'm not able to put out before it gets out of control. Maybe if I put out a real fire, I'd get over that. So yeah, I'd do it. If I could save one life, it would be worth it to me.

nklminster 8 years, 10 months ago

Obviously I didn't take 20 minutes to formulate an answer to this question when asked. This was the first thought that came to my head. And I wasn't asked what I thought of volunteer firefighters. They're great. I was asked would I be one. No.

And yes, I realize that most firefighters (volunteer or otherwise) have kids. But for me, personally, I couldn't do it.

And yes, being a volunteer fire fighter probably wouldn't result in dealth, but I don't think it's "self absorbed" to want my kids to have a mom. I admire and respect firefighters, and police officers, anyone who puts their lives in danger for the safety of the public.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 10 months ago

NMinster, I didn't think your answer was "self absorbed." I think many of us realize the lack of depth in this (and most) questions asked. I know that I would jump into a burning building to rescue my child. Could I do it for someone else's child knowing my children need a mother? I really have no idea. You answered honestly. I respect that. Thanks for defending yourself. Most of us like that around here (even if we may not agree).

southerngirl 8 years, 10 months ago

1,000 points to Sue for havin everyone's back.

d

DanFreako 8 years, 10 months ago

Sutherngirl "Life is like a Klondike bar Dan, you have to seize it and eat it before someone else comes along and steals it..."

Forget Valium ...stick to the Lithium as the Doctor prescribed.

Devon Kissinger 8 years, 10 months ago

I did once, then I volunteered. That was in 1994. I don't think any of us do it for the pay. The fires, motor vehicle accidents, or the simple medical calls in the middle of the night then having to go to work with little or no sleep. The missed family events, birthdays, dinners, or just simply time with family. Sort of makes me wonder why I do it. Knowing that we've helped somebody at what may be their greatest time of need makes me keep doing it.

FIREMAN'S PRAYER

When I am called to duty... Whenever flames may rage... Give me strength to save some life... Whatever be its age... Help me to embrace a little child... Before it is too late... Or save an older person from... The horror of that fate... Enable me to be alert and... hear the weakest shout... And quickly and efficiently... To put the fire out... I want to fill my calling and... To give the best in me... And if according to my fate... I am to lose my life... Please bless with your protecting hand... My children and my spouse.