Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Browse the archives

The Perks of Being a Wallflower,’ by Stephen Chbosky. It’s about a teenage boy learning about sex, drugs and teenage life.”

The Grapes of Wrath,’ by John Steinbeck. I read it for school, and to be quite honest, I found to be fairly boring. It still had some good qualities, though.”

Backfire,’ by Loren Baritz. It’s an older history book on Vietnam. The author was an advocate against the war.”

Ishmael,’ by Daniel Quinn. It’s about a gorilla and a man. The gorilla is his mentor and opens his eyes to how humanity is treating the Earth and the environment.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

usually, this collumn doesn't wind up under OTS, but instead it is usually under "pulse" (what the LJW calls the 'living' section) once a week.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

YO DEAN! try rereading the Grapes of wrath...boring? what?

try some other Steinbeck, like the cannery row/sweet thursday, if ya' want more interesting. or, the Pearl, that's very moving. c'mon Dean, maybe you just need to turn off the TV and try rereading 'Grapes? when you read it, remember those are real people depicted in there. it might help if you saw the movie to assist you in your understanding.

finally, I'm still reading "the seven Pillars of Wisdom" by TE Lawrence, aka "lawrence of arabia, tells the story of how he assisted the arabs in rebelling against the tyrany of the Turks and thereby assisted in Britain/U.S./France winning WWI. very compelling scenics, personal descriptions, and lots of real life application of the principles of warfare. so much of what's there impacted the middle east we have today.

H_Lecter 7 years, 11 months ago

S_S, I'll have to check out the recipe. I do seem to remember that you have a talent in the kitchen. The illustrated cookbooks are my favorites as well. Most of them however don't mention my favorite way to marinade liver (from the inside). The liver absorbs whatever is in the blood, so if the donor's blood stream can be flooded with wine, garlic, and onions...

inmate 7 years, 11 months ago

"The Great Escape" by Paul Brickhill

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

"We Work and Play", from the Dick and Jane series.

JPT 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm reading a book about the mysterious/unexplained "Phoenix Lights" witnessed by thousands of people (and captured on film) over Phoenix, Arizona in March 1997.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ms_C, Yes, an excellent series...and who knew that I would find warfare and weaponry in the 7th-8th century fascinating???

My #1 recommended best all time read: "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. Not your typical Follet genre but by far his best! Couldn't put that one down.

Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" Series are also some quality reads.

H_Lecter, I have a collection of cookbooks, myself. My all-around favorite is "American Classics" by the editors of "Cooks Illustrated" magazine. Great book! I highly recommend the "High roast crisp- skin Chicken with potatoes!" So good! Definitely not a dish for the dieters! Lot's of butter, garlic, and the skin on the butterflied chicken is so crispy...just like the golden, thin sliced potatoes that have soaked up all that butter and chicken fat! Ooooooh Yum!!!!

And, H_L, I LOVE liver!

H_Lecter 7 years, 11 months ago

It's a great cookbook, "Marinade Anything" subtitled; "Eat the organs or your wasting the best part"

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

What am I reading? I am re reading the Camulod Series by Jack Whyte. I am on book #3 now, The Eagles Brood. Wonderful books, right Sue? This long series, 8 books in all, concerns the events in Britain following the withdrawal of the Roman Legionaries in the 5th century. They tell the story of a dream come true for ex Legionary soldier Caius Britannicus. He dreamed that he and his friend Publius Varrus could set up a colony, which they called Camulod, where people could live in a secure, orderly society. They built a fort and an army in the Roman style and hoped that it would protect them from the Pict, Scotii and Saxon raiders. Publius Varrus was the great grandfather of the famed King Arthur. Very good books.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

What? we get 2 questions today? OK, I'll bite. To answer question #1: I'm reading "The Fort at River's Bend." It's book #5 of a series of books by Jack Whyte on the Chamulod chronicles.