Previous   Next

Why do you think ethics are important?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on April 30, 2006

Browse the archives

“Without ethics the world would be even more messed up than it already is. I think business would fail, the economy would fail and there would be a lot more crime without laws based on ethics.”

“I think they keep people morally grounded to a certain extent.”

“Ethics are important in guiding us in the choices we make every day. Ethical values and your views of right and wrong will determine most of the decisions you make throughout your life.”

“To be able to get along with your fellow man. If a person doesn’t have good ethics, then you can’t trust them … and if you don’t have good ethics you won’t be able to live with yourself.”

Comments

enochville 9 years, 3 months ago

Ethics can guide decision making to increase the likelihood that you will do no harm to yourself or others. They can help us delay instant gratification for the best interest for ourselves and others. The advantage of having previously decided on the course one will take in an ethical delimma gives one strength to resist the immediate temptation to act unethically. And at an organizational level, ethical principles communicate what is expected of members without having to spell out every individual behavior.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Man, this is so stupidly obvious I can't even make a good joke about it. See ya tomorrow.

Lonestar1 9 years, 3 months ago

The lack of Ethics is what allowed Enron to happen. Ethics caused a whistle blower to step forward and end it. There are some who say that Ethics and Business do not mix, poo, poo, I say. I Halliburton, the big oil companies and Wal-Mart had better Ethics, the taxpayers would not be overcharged for things our troops never received, no price gouging at the pump and employees would be more fairly treated. I wish out government had some ethics too. Do the right thing, for the right reason!

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Question #2: Um, so the world does not fall into utter ruin. Blah, blah, blah.

james bush 9 years, 3 months ago

Is the approval rating of congress down to 22 percent. They seem oblivious to ethics when it comes to politics.

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

sigh. . . is it bad that I read the first line of i_tching's post and thought: "how long till he makes an insinuation into local politics?"

yeah yeah, so I couldn't stay away.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

if a person can legally screw you over, would this be ethically okay?

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

ethics - a system or code of morals of a particular philosophy, religion, group or profession. Certain behavior can be legislated, but moral behavior, morals can not. You can be legally screwed by a morally bereft person. What a question, why is it important? I can't imagine what the world would be like without ethics. Oh pardon me, what a silly thing to say. I just have to look around me and I get a glimps of what it would be like. The best place to look for a lack of moral integrity is in government. Why is it that so many of our leaders think they have a license to screw us? Rhetorical quetion.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Say, did anyone besides Sunny sue notice that there were two questions posed for us yesterday? Tale a look and add a comment.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

macon47 - you paint a pretty grim picture of the world. It is bad but there are bright spots and there are ethical people and young people to be found if you know where to look. I know a lot of good people. In my church there are a whole host of young people who give hope for the future.
And if I don't want to be late I better get going there right now. see you all later.

Liberty 9 years, 3 months ago

Like Ms_Canada said, good behavior (ethics) came from God originally. Because He is good.

Man is not good (history proves this solidly), so man needs God and his method of good behavior. Without God given ethics (the Holy Spirit), all you have are man's attempt to be good, which ends in what we have today (total corruption) in corporations in the United States and around the world.

The answer is: we don't need just ethics, but we need God's Holy Spirit living on the inside of us to lead and guide us to do what is good and right, since this can not be found within man alone (without God).

paladin 9 years, 3 months ago

I, too, think ethnics are important. As long as they have been admitted the the county legally. They perform many menial jobs that more valuable Americans don't value very much.

paladin 9 years, 3 months ago

In this era of terrorism, when perceived fear and actual exigency have driven American policies and practices to an extreme that would have been unthinkable just a short time ago, it is appropriate to assess our responses against our fundamental principles. The urgency of the review is necessitated to insure that these principles do not become so shallow as to lose, via governmental pragmatics, their moral efficacy. It should be recalled that the United States' very beginnings were premised on ethical considerations. Jefferson's Declaration appealed to international public opinion: "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which compel them." Just as it mattered in 1776, the opinions of mankind (both of our own electorate and of the international community) should continue to matter two centuries later. If the United States is to remain true to its principled beginnings, it is essential to determine if the course taken in the name of supposed pragmatism has so injured our foundations that our proclaimed commitment to democracy has become a hypocritical justification for realpolitik devoid of the very principles we claim to cherish.

BunE 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't think that where a person comes from is important. I mean all of us are from a certain background. Sure some people burn less easily or enjoy more garlic or lutefish but really, aren't we all the same?

C'mon.

Wait, you said ethics...yeah they are important

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

? #1 is much more fun but very few posters. Maybe only some of us are privlidged enough to receive the 2 ?s. Anyone else?

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh, wait, I know, I know -- Because without ethics, all of us would be Republicans!

(okay folks, just a joke) peace, bea

paladin 9 years, 3 months ago

I had an Aunt Esther, but she died. But, she lived to be 104. And she always tried to do the right thing and to treat other people the way she wanted them to treat her. While she was alive. They called her ethical Esther.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

I had an Aunt Esther, also. Freaky! Must have been the "it" name about 90-100 years ago.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 3 months ago

It sounds as if Liberty is suggesting that those that have no regard for a holy spirit, or perhaps one that differs from JC worship, would be devoid of morals or ethics. I know some atheists who possess and express phenominal understanding of ethics and moraity, as do I and being of pagan persuasion. No particular group has a monopoly on ethics and morals over other groups or individuals. Having had good examples to follow in your family and tribe are what's really important and there are a lot of bad examples out there. Too many people have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement and are so comfortable maligning others or groups, misplacing blame for the woes of the world, etc., which truly is partly responsible for societal decay. While religion, and I mean all religions, do provide mores that can guide us in our daily lives, often those that profess to adhere to a strict code of faith have committed both small and large acts of disgrace, so please don't say that religion is a prerequisite for an inidividual to be moral and ethical.

Beale_Buster 9 years, 3 months ago

"paladin-JPT": you dear Howard, posting on ethics just cracks us up.

paladin 9 years, 3 months ago

The most holy, most "Christian" person I've ever known never set foot inside a church. And she never professed allegiance to Christ. But, she was a never ending source of love and help and comfort to anyone she happened to know and often made it a point to know. On the other hand, some of the wickedest people I have known have been God fearing and attended church on a regular basis. Go figure.

paladin 9 years, 3 months ago

B_B-I believe you are laboring under a misapprehension or delusion. I am only me and have only one sign-on name. Like it or not. Find your demon elsewhere, please.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 3 months ago

Macon, you should change your moniker to HUGH JASS or something so your handle would match the gestaldt of your posts.