Previous   Next

Is it possible to believe in both the Bible and evolution?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on September 24, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yeah. If you believe in a divine creator, the creation plan could have been evolution.”

“Yeah, I think so. I don’t think one necessarily rules out the other.”

“No. If you are a true Christian, then it has to be one or the other. In the Bible it says God created the Earth. You either believe that, or you believe that things evolved.”

“Sure. First of all, you can believe whatever you want. Second of all, there is no real time frame in the Bible. It could easily account for all of geologic time and everything else.”

Related story

Comments

Linda Aikins 9 years, 3 months ago

OMB thanks for checking in. I was wondering about you and got up to check on Rita.

If this was a weekday topic, we'd be up to 150 again.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 3 months ago

HereToday: I'm super cute! Glad you noticed.

What I Was Getting At Earlier: I don't think it has to be an all-or-nothing situation. People of science can be people of faith, and vice-versa.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

Steve Abrams probaly should consider resigning because he cannot separate personal beliefs from his job. Major conflict of interest. He and thief Connie Morris need to do Kansas a favor and exit the board hand in hand.

Evolution is evolution plain and simple.

Intelligent Design was Creationism so as with neocon pattern the name could change again. How is creationism a science? Isn't the Iran Contra Chronology considered a science on crime?

The bible could also be considered a historical document.

Wonder if any of these board members own stock in a school book publisher from Dallas, Texas?

John1945 9 years, 3 months ago

Gee Merrill, perhaps you should resign since you clearly cannot do what yo're asking Abrams and Morris to do.

Driving people of faith from their jobs and the political life of the community based on their religious beliefs. If that's not crypto-Nazi, I don't know what is.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 3 months ago

Of course! So many things anymore are posed as binaries that it's often difficult to commit to one without feeling obligated to be fully opposed to all aspects of the other:

Republican VS Democrat: You're with us or you're Al Qaeda.

ID VS Darwin: If you think we came from monkeys then you're going to hell.

Wal*Mart VS Target: Pay more for the same cheap crap to avoid being labeled as white trash.

The list goes on of course.

b_asinbeer 9 years, 3 months ago

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." 9/2/2005

heretoday 9 years, 3 months ago

So..... GEB...are you saying that people whom believe in the Bible and creation is relative or on the same calibar as being Rep or Dem.... I can see where you are trying to be cute.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

John1945...Perhaps you would be correct if I were attempting to introduce my peace is kinder than war stance into the public school system. It now appears as though we agree that Steve and Connie should resign. Common sense has prevailed.

What position are you suggesting I from?

ePress 9 years, 3 months ago

The media loves to portray creationists as dumb unsophisticated folk and to get a good story they must emphasize the most emotional statements. I wonder what was said at the meeting that provided logical arguments in the creationists favor. For those interested in logical arguments in favor of creation and Intelligent Design go to: creationevidence.blogspot.com for an article entitled, Is Intelligent Design Science?

jonas 9 years, 3 months ago

Wow, john1945, over-react much?

Perhaps it's a mistake to equate not attending church with atheism. Of course, if the point of religion to someone is to further their own influence over other peoples lives, then I can see how that viewpoint could be a popular one. Personally, I think it's possible to be very spiritual without going in for religion or religious ceremonies/services at all.

bhanson 9 years, 3 months ago

The Evolution v Creationism debate will never stop and it shouldn't. The great thing about this country is we can think and make decisions about what we believe. The problem here is that the teaching of both evolution and creationism has a place. I learned about evolution in science class. While I don't necessarily agree with evolution, I could see the scientific merit. I learned about creationism at home and at church. I am a church going republican, (although a moderate one) who believes that the teaching of creationism should be left out of public schools. For those who want to impose their religious beliefs on our school children my question for you is what creation story will be taught in schools. Will it be from the Christian bible? What about the Apache Indian creation story. I recently read a really interesting creation story from a Japanese perspective. The only way that teaching creationism in public schools can be anywhere near constitutional is to find out how may different religions are present in Kansas School Children and teach every one of these creation theories in school. One I can't wait to hear what Letterman, Leno, and Stewart have to say about us Kansans now.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

HERE WE GO AGAIN - have we not discussed this ad nauseaum? Thank you ePress for the web address. I took a peek at it and liked what I read. The article about Carl Sagan and then I clicked on the article Evidence of The Existence of God. This was very interesting and written in language that can very easily be understood by the lay person. I do not believe in evolution as spouted forth by Darwin, but I do believe that God's method of creating all that there is, can be better understood when looked at from the scientific perspective. If the first chapter of Genesis is very closely studied, it is amazing how very simple it really is and how clearly it can be understood. God did not just snap His fingers and stars, etc. appeared. He systematically and logically created everything so that it all works together. Posters, take a look at the web site that ePress mentions. Read the articles with an open mind. Another web site you might want to peruse is the Institute for Creation Science. Read some of the articles and books that they recommend, IF, that is, IF you are really interested in learning something or just want to use this forum to spout off a bunch of ideas with no substance behind them. When you make a statement, for goodness sake, back it up with fact. Yesterday was a funny, fun day, but some tempers did get a little out of control. How about a calm reasonable day today.

l_eustacy 9 years, 3 months ago

Bring back the crusades! Christian suicide bombers would be an interesting touch.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

e_m - you rat, I am never going to look at another of your web suggestions. Who can trust you, you naughty boy. Shame on you.

LarryRay 9 years, 3 months ago

I am a firm believer in Creation, and whether people want to hear it or not, the people who founded this nation believed that... many many people still believe that and always will... So let us teach that in the schools too... I guess my post has to do with the Journal World invitation in the Saturday September 24 to check out this website.. Quote: ONLINE: see full coverage of the evolution debate at www.ljworld.com.... end quote "the evolution debate?" Why not the evolution-creation debate, the creation-evolution debate, or the creation debate.... We have come to a point in our nation where proclaiming evolution is okay, but not creation, I would be compelled to believe that more people lean toward creation than evolution, so why are we not allowed to teach creation? Before you begin talking about creation and the Bible being shoved down your throat, ask yourself what you and our children are having shoved down their throats right now. Larry Powers Lawrence Kansas

laughingatallofu 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm really P.O.'d that nobody has yet brought the Flying Spaghetti Monster into this debate! Steve Abrams didn't even mention it! Is he ignorant of the "facts", or what?

Unfortunately, John1945, as long as you continue to make your voice known, Jay Leno, et al. will have tenure (a term that I know you despise). There will be no end to the comical abuse that will be heaped upon the ignorant citizens of not-so-great-State-of-Kansas.

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

sure, you can believe in the bible AND evolution without going to hell.

pcsdrewboy 9 years, 3 months ago

The real kicker is that this Abrams guy claims to be interested in developing Kansas youth for the future. He's only about 40 years too late. We no longer live in an age where your ability to get a decent paying job depended on the strength of your hands and back. Now it's what's between your ears that counts, and you even have to compete with people on the other side of the planet. They believe in something called "empiricism". If we don't want to turn into a "would you like fries with that" economy we should too.

beatrice 9 years, 3 months ago

John1945 9 years, 3 months ago

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 3 months ago

BHanson makes a good point! Why is it that the Christocentric creation is told? What about Ouranos and Gaea?

Freedom of religion means ANY religion. I think it also implies freedom FROM religion.

Meaning there's more than just Christians that live in America. And it's sad that that fact rubs select Amurricans the wrong way.

megorama 9 years, 3 months ago

Here's the deal...if you aren't Christian, Bible verses mean NOTHING. So when people debate evolution and the intelligent design theory, they are based on two entirely different assumptions...and therefore, NOTHING will ever come of it.

Yes, you can accept that evolution exists AND be a Christian.

ks_hoosier 9 years, 3 months ago

I hope so, because I do believe in both.