Previous   Next

What should people do locally to help hurricane victims?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2005

Browse the archives

“If they have family and friends who are affected, they should invite them to come live with them. If not, they should donate to the right charities and be cautious in selecting them.”

“Donate money to the Red Cross in Kansas. Donate food, clothes or anything they can. I’ve even heard of people donating pet food and supplies.”

“Don’t go down there. All the resources are already going down there … The professionals need the facilities and supplies. The best thing to do is donate to a reliable charity.”

“They should donate supplies to local drop-off sites. I think supplies would do a lot more than money to help right now.”

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 11 months ago

church organizations are a helluva lot more reputable than the united way, but give to whatever organization you can.

it is horrific what is going on in new orleans.

just give. this is a time to pull together not a time for politics, but kyoto wouldn't have made a difference at all.

perhaps God is p*ssed off because of all the godless people in this world.

mr_daniels 8 years, 11 months ago

Give Lulu a mop and bucket and watch the city begin to come back to life. All liberals unite! A Democrat liberal city needs you. The silence from you is deafining!

KsjKC 8 years, 11 months ago

As much fun as it would be to pin the rap for Katrina on the president or the recalcitrant congress or global warming or the barrage of reality shows...Ummmmm, no...

While it can argued that global warming has made the prevalence of stronger storms more common-place---They happen--and no forecasting can keep them from happening...

Personally, I blame Bush for my hair loss: It really isn't his fault, but if I'm looking for a scapegoat, at least he's handy. THAT's the same logic as blaming him for Katrina.

Redneckgal 8 years, 11 months ago

Okay this is a totally crazy thought I know but here goes anyway..I know that in my neighborhood there are 2 houses both tied up in a forecloser. They are still totally liveable but the yards are overgrown and they need just need a family really bad. They've been this way over a year. I'm sure they're are houses like this all over the country. Why not some of the displaced people move to houses like these? It seems such a waste just letting houses like that sit empty for a year or better when there is such a need. Just a thought.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Good morning everyone and ( even-money ) thanks for the introduction. .............blushing here now.

The benefit concert is set for the 22nd now as KU is home in KC against OaK on the 15th. The plans for the benefit are going well and I have people now emailing me who want to help out.

Plans are for a family day in South Park from around 12 noon or 1 until around 8 that evening. I'm hoping to pull together at least 5 to 6 bands to play ( various music for all), games for the kiddies, food, and possibly a beer garden in a roped off area. Beer will be kept in the garden only and to not be taken outside the roped off area. There will be security there to make sure of that. I'm also with the cities permission of course ( crossing my fingers here ) having pony rides for the kids. Going to be calling all the grocery stores to donate their effort by selling sandwiches or donating plates, cups, etc. Also going to be calling the car dealerships for donations. I want this event to be as BIG as possible.

I know in my heart that we can pull this off and I'm hoping everyone will come and enjoy a day in the park for a good cause.

Have an awesome Friday everyone!!!!!!!!!

Lulu 8 years, 11 months ago

Good morning,

If Bush would've signed the Kyoto Treaty this never would have happened because of Global Warming increaseing the amount of hurricanes. It is the global dominance of corporations getting fat off of the poor people like higher gas prices for example. Everyone should invite hurricane victims into their homes. Give to charity like the United Way and stay away from churches because you never know where that money is going and they don't do any good.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

TOB...Good article...somewhat scary though.

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

Welcome back Lulu. I was amazed to see her name at the top of the posts this morning and I had a good laugh. Thanks,

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Our Italian Princess, YOU ROCK, sister friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

TOB...you're right about it not being so much political, as it is just--real.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 11 months ago

The only thing I plan to do to provide aid...

...is to refrain from dragging any sort of politics into this disaster.

(But I will admit, the candid, yet political, words of the New Orleans mayor last night on his radio interview, were AWESOME!! I wish we had more politicians that just "tell it as it is")

dysfunctionmama 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, Original Bob, I took your advice and read the past postings of Lulu. Wow, lot's of contradictions in there. I really liked the one wherein a "womyn's" rights to abort are sacred, but Ritalin for her pupils is so nice because of the enjoyment it adds to her day. Hmmm, maybe she is being "funny"? And speaking of the Kyoto treaty and it's effect on large weather systems, is this reminiscent of the Beijing Butterfly theory, whereby a butterfly flaps it's wings in Beijing and you get rain instead of sunshine in Central Park? Perhaps if pen doesn't scratch across paper it leads to more massive hurricanes. Is that an intelligent design theory, or an evolutionary one?

ladysilk 8 years, 11 months ago

I will donate to Red Cross for the relief effort. It is better to give money than to give items. It takes huge amounts of manpower to sort donated items and often this stuff just gets thrown in the trash because no one has the time or the people to go through it. If you want to volunteer don't just go down there. Find an agency like Red Cross and register with them. Undocumented volunteers often become undocumented victims because they do not know what they are doing and get in the way.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

what I paln to do: donate to the Red Cross (check) attend IP's "Katrina Crash" and help her out in any way I can.

p.s. Someone brought it up yesterday, but this weekend is the MDA telethon. Jerry plans to donate 1 million to Katrina...but let's not forget about Jerry's kids, either. I know it's a double whammy. Dig deep, people. We can do it. Just remember there are MANY less fortunate in many ways. (I'm going to go count my blessings, now...this may take all day!) :)

dysfunctionmama 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree that the mayor of New Orleans seems to be the only person not trying to dazzle us all with B.S. All of the press conferences seem to be an unending stream of HUGE numbers that mean nothing. It's as though we have been asked to feed the hungry, and instead of making sandwiches, we are building a ranch and stocking it with pregnant heifers. One of the reasons that I love Lawrence as much as I do is our community. The sense that many of us live our lives with every day that we are all connected. I am so glad to hear about the potential to have a benefit for these folks. I bet LJW would donate some advertising space for it, too.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

OMB,

I have a list of bands to email and I'm thining about 5 to 6 possibly for the day. I figure if they all playfor about an hour with set up and break down.......5 to 6 maybe would be good. Email me with your info on the band if you like and I can or you can talk with them about playing.

The Red Cross called yesterday and they think its a great idea. I'm hoping they will even come out and set up a booth.

Just got off the phone with Anheuser Bush center here in Lawrence and left a message with one of the managers in charge of sponsership. They are in the process of new ownership this weekend so they will get back with me.

Any other ideas out there????????

kulions 8 years, 11 months ago

The KU Lions Club is also holding a fundraiser for the Hurrican victims. We will have jars all over town and on campus that people can drop money into. 100% of proceeds go to the Red Cross.

Also, IP we will help you out in any way we can. Just go to that contact page by clicking the name and send me an e-mail with anything you need us to do.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion TOB...reading those posts sure gave me a laugh. Is there anything in life lulu is happy about???

Donate what you can, to whoever you can. Unless you want to actually be down there, in which you can join the National Guard...but then you would just end up in Iraq.

nut_case 8 years, 11 months ago

Yesterday I heard the situation in New Orleans described as "Total Anarchy" - Lets take up a collection to send the Lawrence Anarchists down there. They got so much press going to protests last year...sending them to the Big Easy should be like sending them tp paradise. I'm sure they could help out plenty.

hottruckinmama 8 years, 11 months ago

i'm going to give what ever part of each paycheck i can spare to the red cross for the next few months.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

"Lulu"...you are SO appropriately named...

I would say that people just donate money, or supplies, to their favorite charity - though the Red Cross would probably be the best.

massst 8 years, 11 months ago

we need to call troops from iraq to help our people.

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

I think that donating to the humane society doesn't make sense, when all of these humans need our help. Why should people give money for dog food when there are babies without water or formula? I don't believe that animals should be tortured or anything like that, but they can humanely be "put to sleep."

acg 8 years, 11 months ago

IP There's a great little blues/jazz band that played at the Governors Inaugural Ball that was thoroughly enjoyable. I can't remember their name, unfortunately, but apparently they're pretty famous around the area and have been playing here for years. You can reach Dennis, band member, by calling 842-5930. He's the mgr of Wood Creek Townhomes ( I used to live there). I bet you could get them to play, also and that would bring out a lot of their followers. Tell him Amy sent you.

stowaway 8 years, 11 months ago

I just posted at the end of the front (web)page article, but I thought I should add it to here as well:

If you have the ability to host a family that lost everything, go to www.sharemyhome.us

I found this through a link on nola.com, and supposedly people will be working to match up families in need with sponsors throughout the country. We have not been contacted yet, but I hope we will be. There is also funding available through FEMA to help meet the costs of housing a family. On the whole, we don't have a lot of money to give, but we do have a home to share for as long as it takes.

neopolss 8 years, 11 months ago

nut_case - that was pretty good. I enjoyed that laugh.

In response to the politics, I'm glad no one is buying into the same tired 9/11 "we must unite" crap this time. Agencies should be ashamed at their poor organization, response time, and awareness of the situation.

Donate money. Screw Iraq. Save America instead.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Ty so much for all the respones to help get this benefit concert going. I have people to email now so we can chat about what their ideas are.

KULions......I will be contacting you asap for help with KU involvement. I'm needing to get ahold of the person in charge of fraternity and a soroity houses that would like to help out.

acg......... I ahve so many bands to choose from now its crazy. I have written down all the names people have given so far also. I will call Dennis this evening to talk with him.

I spoke with the city cleak today also and have to put in a phone call to the ABC. I need to get a temp permit to sell beer for that day. This means going before the city board to approve this. The gentleman on the phone was wonderful and said he would help out and help get that rolling.

Plans are falling in place now and its great.

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

Beatrice: All of us are feeling much better, with the exception of my wife who seems to be fighting a mild "Round 2" with this bug. You are kind to ask.

Regarding the rebuilding of various disaster-stricken cities: I think one consideration to make is the likelihood of the same city being struck again. A second is the extent of the damage -- how thoroughly a place was destroyed. On June 3, 1980, my hometown was struck by seven tornados. What are the chances of that?! The damage was extensive in some areas, but much of the city remained untouched. Nearly any place on the Plains is at risk for tornados, but this weather phenomenon is relatively small. A mile-wide tornado is considered HUGE. And the chances that any one city will be hit again are quite small. By comparison, hurricanes cover much larger areas. However, the chances of being hit twice are also small. That's why Florida's experience last year was so remarkable. On the other hand, a city built below sea level is almost begging to be flooded. And they don't have to wait for a random storm to sweep across them, just a levee to be damaged by an accident, sabotage/terrorism, or a flood surge from upstream. It wouldn't even have to rain in the city for it to get flooded.

When New Orleans is rebuilt (and I have no doubt that it will be), I hope steps are taken to mitigate the effects of any future floods. If LA and SanFran can construct buildings that sway with earth movement rather than fight it, surely the Big Easy can come up with something. btw, if New Orleans imposes a new tax to help rebuild the canals, would they call it the Levee Levy? If General Motors sponsored part of the rebuilding, it could be the Chevy Levee Levy. Of course that would be ridiculous and the late night comedians would make jokes about it. You know, a little Chevy Levee Levy levity? ;)

Redneckgal 8 years, 11 months ago

italianprincess...You are one great lady!

nut_case 8 years, 11 months ago

I think I will have to stick with the head of FEMA on this one - The PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS share much of the blame. For starters:

Everyone had 3 days advance warning of a Category 4+ Hurricane headed their way...why was there anyone in the city to begin with??? Maybe when the authorities said "evacuate" they meant it? If someone gave me 72 hours of advanced warning that the place I was standing was going to be a disaster area, you can dang well believe I would be trucking the heck outta there! I guess I am a crotchety old fart, but I'm used to Kansas and the full 3-5 minute warning of impending tornadoes.

Several Hospitals reported "being without food and water since Tuesday" - Again - HELLO!! This is an institution responsible for public health and well being - it should be one of the most resilient organizations during a disaster - last to close, first to open...with their three days of advanced warning, they managed to get food and water together for ...12 hours?

Evacuating to the Superdome?? That is like being here in Kansas with a tornado on the way and I evacuate from my living room sofa to the easy chair in the opposite corner! Exactly what good was that supposed to do? I guess if you are going to be trapped in a filthy, rotting cesspool, you might as well be stuck with 30,000 other people.

Sad to say, but it sure looks like anyone with any common sense left the area a long time ago and now you see what is left. If there are people in the area that truely wanted to get out before the storm and couldn't - for what ever reason - my hear goes out to them, but if they full on were told to leave and decided to stay, I'd just have to call that Darwin at work.

memoirs_of_a_sleepwalker 8 years, 11 months ago

Lunacy, Are you a member of Fred Phelps' church?! Are you thanking God for hurricanes?! Are we all sinners in the hands of an angry God? Are we all dangling, on a spider's web, over the precipice?

A conservative saying the hurricane is handed down from a wrathful Divine is as equally stupid as a liberal arguing Bush caused it. How come no one has pointed this out? Oh wait, they were too busy bashing the Bush-basher. Brainiacs . . .

topflight 8 years, 11 months ago

i got a great idea. Instead of all of these famous bands and actords pledging to raise a million dollars, why dont they donate some of the millions of dollars they have in their bank account. You know, the millions of dollars they make with movies, and concerts. Instead of asking normal people like you and me (i use the word normal loosely here in lawrence) to donate money to their charity, or asking us to pay money for concert tickets so then they in turn can donate it to the cause and take all of the credit. You always use your status as a famous person to gain something, why not give a little back to all the people who have paid to see your movies, paid to hear you sing, paid to see you in concert. Get off your lazy buts, get out the check book, and donate. I have donated, and i am not rich, but 10's of thousands of people need help now. Instead of buying into their charity crap, donate it to the RED CROSS

corrienteroper 8 years, 11 months ago

I agree w/nut_case!! I have had the same thoughts on this one.

angelofmine 8 years, 11 months ago

Amen topflight!

My office is a few blocks from Children's Mercy Hospital. The kids that arrived there, some of whom have no idea where their parents are, are in need as well. Aside from the Red Cross financial donations, volunteers, and blood donations, part of those kids were brought to our area with NOTHING and NO ONE. The hospital has directed my office manager as to what they need, and we're taking it over there. One news report showed a little boy transported here, probably ten years old, with tears streaming down his face. He had no parents with him, and they could not find where they were in the chaos of New Orleans. An officer handed him a teddy bear and he just grasped onto it, buried his little face into it and sobbed. How scary it must be to go somewhere completely new to you, without Mom and Dad, or even your familiar nurses and doctors?

While I agree that people should have heeded the "mandatory" evacuation order, there truly were people there, especially the elderly, and the hospital patients, that had no choice but to stay. Its the folks I see on TV with their children with them on the rooftops that I just can't help but wonder about! I'm a Mom myself, and I would find a way, even if it seemed impossible, to at least get my children out with friends or family.

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Topflight........

Come out to the benefit concert we are planning to hold in South Park on the 22nd of October.

This is a way for the people of Lawrence to get together for a good cause and all proceeds go to the Red Cross here in Lawrence.

Someone other then me and others aboard now wanted to do something so I have called this person to contact me. With all the interest in this we will have a great turn out.

As far as actors and musicians goes I do agree with you on this. Instead of them doing a concert and charging people to get in or making a phone call to donate money, they can and should dig deep and send some of the millions they have. They are alot wealthier then most and can afford it more then most.

My sister informed me that Hillary Duff has given 250,000 and Sean P. Diddy has also given money and is sending clothing. Thats a start with them and hope more will do the same.

Come on out on the 22nd and enjoy the bands, food, drink a beer and make what ever donation you can. Every little bit counts as they will need money now and more for months and years to come.

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

Yeah lunacy, what is up with this angry God guy anyway? Maybe Pat Robertson will call for his assasination to help protect us Americans.

Nut-case: Nice compassion. People are in need, but I guess you just want to feel superior for living in tornado alley rather than hurricane alley. I am sure every single time there is a tornado warning you make sure to hunker in your bunker. Good for you. However, despite what you say Darwin's theory doesn't always work as sometimes, apparently, scum remains scum.

There is a word I would like you to look up: EMPATHY.

Remember, the true damage came after the brunt of storm had passed, and the levees broke.

As far as looking at the politics of this, we should wait to point fingers. Once lives are no longer at risk, only then should we begin to suggest options for better future planning.

You can give at www.redcross.org; and at www.braf.org (Baton Rouge Area Foundation).

dysfunctionmama 8 years, 11 months ago

Many of those people who stayed behind don't even own cars. Many were screwed when they closed Louis Armstrong airport on thursday night. Over 50% of New Orleans lives below poverty level. Get a frickin' grip. These people are lucky to have food on the table, let alone be able to rent a car, charter a bus or hop a flight. The BBC reported that the rental car agencies were empty by Thursday night, within an hour of the time that they announced that they were closing the airport. As for Darwinism at work, it apparently didn't, because the doody head from California, who flew in to watch the storm in Mississippi lived to tell the tale.

l_eustacy 8 years, 11 months ago

They were warned and now they expect to be rescued. We should open the levy and let it go. The mayor should shut the @#$% up.

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

l_eustacy: A "levy" is to impose or collect something, such as a tax, or to draft into military service, or to declare and wage war. A "levee," on the other hand, is an embankment raised to prevent a river from flowing.

Care to make any other brilliant observations?

voidoids26 8 years, 11 months ago

voidoids26 8 years, 11 months ago

voidoids26 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, apparently my comments were too honest for this site, and somehow more offensive than what I_eustacy wrote about people getting what they deserved. I thought this forum was for people to express their feelings and opinions, but apparently its just for those expressing feelings that are in line with the "site staff". I would understand if I had used profanities, but, well, I did not. That's interesting to me.

And even-money, my name should make you think of Richard Hell and the Voidoids or even Television (the band)

I wonder how long this post will be kept up.

Fangorn 8 years, 11 months ago

Beatrice: levy vs. levee. I don't know that I've ever noticed the spelling difference before. Of course Kansas doesn't have a whole lot of water to restrain. And I'm used to singing along with Don McClean rather than actually reading the lyrics, so I'm not used to seeing it in print.

On other notes, while I'm inclined to agree that everyone should have evacuated while they had the chance, I have to wonder how many stayed because they expected the looting, etc. in the aftermath and just wanted to protect their homes.

And regarding rebuilding, how wise would it be to spend billion$ rebuilding a city that's already below sea level? Help everyone relocate -- permanently if they so choose -- but let Louisiana pay for the rebuilding on that same spot if they want. If they'd engage in a little "intelligent design", like rebuilding New Orleans above where all the water goes, I think more people would be willing to help finance the process.

beatrice 8 years, 11 months ago

Fangorn: of course when you drive to Don Mclean's levee, it is dry. That would have been much nicer earlier this week.

On a more serious note, do you feel the same way about rebuilding whenever a town in Kansas is flattened by a tornado? Is it "intelligent design" (nice play on words, by the way!) to put homes that were destroyed back in Leavenworth, for instance? I don't know. And maybe you are correct and the people in New Orleans should consider rebuilding elsewhere (which I guess would just be building without the re-). Or, since people like to live on coastal lands around the globe despite the fact that these are obvious areas of erosion, they had better put a bunch more money into the levee system. This seems a lot more likely.

Like San Francisco, or Galveston, or any number of cities that have been struck by massive natural disaster at some point in history, New Orleans is a historical place. It is "home" to many and home is where the heart is, so it probably will go back up right where it is (or was). Who knows, in the long run maybe it will help bring the area out of the large-scale poverty it has experienced this century.

By the way, I hope you are yours are feeling better by now.

voidoids26: I was listening to "Blank Generation" just last week. Great band, and I love that song!

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

what type of music do the play even?

I'm emailing bands now to see if they are interested and have others contacting bands also.

I'm so hyped over this now, its going to be a fantastic day.

l_eustacy 8 years, 11 months ago

You're correct. In my haste, I erred.

Here's my brilliant observation; you must have thrilling life to be on a posting board on a Friday night.

voidoids26 8 years, 11 months ago

I_eustacy, um...you posted on a Friday night. Just thought I'd point that out for whomever you were directing that comment at.