Previous   Next

Is it hard to find good day care services in Lawrence?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on October 15, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes, it is, because when you find one, they are going to charge you an arm and a leg. There are always extra charges. The most important thing is finding one where you really trust the people with your children.”

“It can be, but we are fortunate that my wife’s mother is a day care director. I’ve heard it can be hard because all the places are all filled up.”

“Yes, it is. I have three kids, and I don’t know if it’s necessarily hard to find good day care, but it’s definitely hard to find affordable day care.”

“Yeah, I think so. You have to find people who are very trustworthy and responsible. I definitely think trust is the biggest issue for mothers because you hear so many horror stories about children being mistreated.”

Related story

Comments

l_eustacy 8 years, 11 months ago

Those darn roundabouts and speed bumps make it hard to find anything in Lawrence.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

Second! I don't have much to say either, as I don't have any rug monkeys of my own.

sharron5rs 8 years, 11 months ago

As a grandmother of nine, I know the problems my kids have had finding daycare for their kids. Trying to get three kids in the same place is almost impossible, not taking the cost in to condsenderation. One of my kids has her 3 kids in 2 daycares, because she couldnt find one that could take all 3. The cost is about the same as if she had them all in the same place.By the time she gets them all paid for, theres nothing left over.I know some of you say, then stay home. She carries the family insurance so she cant. I am in a position that I cant babysit to help out. My other kids have their problems also. I know people need to get paid for sitting. But Daycare is outrageous. They are limited on the amount of kids they can watch, (thank goodness), but 200.00 per child per week times even 5 is a lot more that I have EVER made in a month, much less in a week.

Nikki May 8 years, 11 months ago

$200 a week? Is that an in home or a center? How old are the kids? I know that's higher than the average. I would like to point out that the money that you are saying they "MAKE" is not take home. First, if it's a home daycare, you pay your house payment, utilities, supplies, insurance (health insurance is really high if you aren't on a group rate, also you need liability people are sue happy), food, sometimes you are buying diapers and wipes and all other types of things. Then don't forget the taxes. Never believe home daycares are making it rich.
For that matter, I work in a center, and we aren't making tons of money either.

canyon_wren 8 years, 11 months ago

I, too, find $200 a week per child hard to believe. Even if a daycare provider were limited to 10 children in her home--that's $8000 a month?? No way! There must be some confusion there. I have two degrees and have never made $8000 a month. Guess I was in the wrong field!

trueninetiesgirl 8 years, 11 months ago

i have a home daycare and we only charge 2.72 hr for a child over 18months, and 3.12hr for under 18 months. we do srs and selfpay we work with are parents. we right of owed money all the time. if they cant pay the cant pay.we work with very low income parents, parents with very special children that have some kind of problems.some months we barley make it and other arent so bad.we even cut parents deals so they have money to pay there other bills.i have been running my daycare for 5 yrs. you see a lot of children in need.of good day care . we always have a waiting list. we are licened for tweleve.good daycare is hard to find but keep looking we are out there.

Lee Eldridge 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't think anyone is charging $200 per week per child except maybe Raintree, which is a wonderful facility. We have two young ones at Sunshine Acres and have been incredibly pleased. Just over $100 per week per child. Loving, caring teachers. And they actually teach the children instead of just all-day playtime.

Dixie Jones 8 years, 11 months ago

hey bob and green : i got a couple of curtin climbers i would rent ya for a day or 18 yrs ,,,hehehehe im so glad i didnt have to work when my kids were small , im sure it would be hard to find not only a aforadable daycare but yet one you trusted,,, its a scary world out there. And the fact that bob and green dont have kids makes me a lil more secure in this world......lol im so kidding you two...

italianprincess 8 years, 11 months ago

Good Morning everyone on this sunny Saturday.

As some of you know I own a daycare at home. I have my masters in ECE and decided when my son turned one to stay at home and teach instead of working outside the house. Its been great and my daycare parents are happy with my themed program I have here. We do lessons 4 days a week and have our Fridays for fun.

This past week was out " Apple Week ". The kids enjoyed learning about apples and all the things you can make with them. We put apple seeds into a glass to see them sprout and made apple prints one day. This coming week is our " Solar System " then the next week is of course our " Halloween " week with our party and a trip to the pumpkin patch on Saturday.

I don't charge $200.00 a week per child but I guess there are daycares out there that do. I just raised my rates as of August 1st, and I am still lower then other providers. I have parents who pay cash and some who have SRS assitance to help pay for their daycare. All my daycare parents are hard working and enjoy bringing their children to me.

I always said I would become a teacher even as a child I made it happen . Years of college and alot of patience for the last 21 years of teaching has paid off. I love teaching and being my own boss is even better.

Good quality daycare is hard to find and there are some that have long waiting lists. Be cautious when you check out a daycare. Ask alot of questions about the provider and the program. If I wasn't a teacher which I so enjoy I would be an awesome daycare inspector. Maybe even open a company that locates quality daycare for parents.

Well everyone......have a wonderful sunny Saturday as I am off to collect more donations for our raffle auction for next weeks benefit concert at the park. I picked up our 5000 flyers that CopyCo made for us and have alot of delivering to do also.

Kathleen Christian 8 years, 11 months ago

Not only is daycare expensive, but "who" is hired leaves a lot to be desired in some of these places. Most facilities are just warehouseing children and while the instructors let the kids run wild they are off doing whatever it is they do certainly not paying attention. Consider what some feed the kids for breakfast - mostly breads, i.e. waffles, pancakes, muffins, cereal & can fruit. This is what you pay for. Now, there are a couple daycares that are fabulous and worth what you pay for. I know my 5-year old was at one, however they did not provide transportation to and from school. AND that poses another issue because schools and daycares do not work together as far as timing. For instance, I have to be to work at 8 AM but my 5 year old's Kindergarten begins at 8:45 AM & ends 11:55 so the problem of getting him to and from school exist which only 2 or 3 daycares provide transporation. So not only cost limits who you choose for daycare but transportation access as well. Unfortuantly I had no choice but to choose the daycare where he is and we both are not happy with it.
But I have to work - so what do you do? I think Lawrence needs to REALLY check into the day care situation, raise the bar who is qualified to care for children and have the schools coordinate start times especially so parents do not have to depend on strangers driving their children to school. However, seems the children are always the last thought of in this country.

thunderbuns 8 years, 11 months ago

I say let's go back in time where one of the parents stays home and raises the children with THEIR standards and beliefs. As time goes on, the "child care industry" has become more regulated and more of a "business". Children become a commodity. Once corporate America or the Government sneaks its way in, it's all over. They both excel at turning life into property and money. "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones...... it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

bearded_gnome 8 years, 11 months ago

TOB, impending? are congratulations in order or are you becoming a step dad of a pre-born kid?

the women-build event this morning was very good and well attended. 100 or more.

I suppose I should say this is for fifteenth, to return to our numbered theme.

enjoy the Maple Leaf/ballad of Blackjack!

beautiful day.

^

bearded_gnome 8 years, 11 months ago

oh, yeah, the question...no crum crunchers here..
Thunderbuns, thanks for quoting Jesus' own words. right on.

Tanya Spacek 8 years, 11 months ago

Stay at home? That would be super...only a family of four can't live on $8.50 an hour. Fortunately, my oldest son is old enough to watch himself and his little brother for the hour in between school ending and my husband getting home. Next year, when he goes to junior high, I'll be able to put my youngest back in Boys and Girls Club, because we'll be living near a school that actually has one on-site. Hillcrest doesn't, and their before and after school care is too expensive for us, even with two incomes. It's about $100 dollars a week for two kids, for ten hours of care (per week). That's almost our rent payment.

Boys and Girls Club had a sliding scale based on income, and it cost about $50 bucks a month for both of the boys to be there. BIG difference. I wish Hillcrest had a Boys and Girls Club.

l_eustacy 8 years, 11 months ago

Remember: It is never too early to teach the kids about the evils of roundabouts and speedbumps. These poor children will be scarred by these horribly designed tributes to our city's ignorance. I would be so embarrassed if I had guests from out-of-town and that had to traverse Harvard between Monterry Way and Wakarusa.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 11 months ago

When it comes to impending parenthood, I always hope for a little girl. In my experience, most women revile at the thought of having a girl because of the inevitable torrential flood of hormones and "sanitary issues".

But I just wanna decorate her room in pink Disney Princess stuff. ;) Happy Saturday everyone!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, After graduating from KU, I immediately gave birth and opted to stay home with my child. Had another one and did the same. I'm still a stay at home Mom and have NEVER regretted it for a single minute. My hubby does not rake in the big bucks, but I am luckily not a single parent forced to work, either. I really feel for those that are. The thought of letting someone else raise my child would break my heart. (Even though I know there are great day cares out there.)

I'm sure it was against the law, but my heartbroken friend asked me to care for her child while she worked. I said I would for the first 18 mo and she insisted on paying me (thus the illegal part but she would not let me do it w/out some compensation). Let me tell you all who think day cares charge too much: I have a friend who operates a licensed day care and has for a long time. She and her co-worker are wonderful people, and after insurance, fees, yadda, yadda, yadda...they barely make ends meet. That, and I know some people would rather work than stay at home w/ thier kids so I think they should have to cough up the bucks.

I guess what I'm saying is: If you are a "traditional family" with Mom and Dad, do you both have to work or can one of you stay at home with the kiddies? Do you really need everything you spend your money on? Can you manage on one income? How long do you work every year before you have day care paid for? Life is short. Children are grown and gone in the blink of an eye. Just think about it. If I can afford to stay at home, most people can. I'm quite sure someone will jump on me for this but this is something I feel strongly about.

Ya'll have a great Saturday. It's gorgeous outside...do something w/ the kids. I'm outta here.

thunderbuns 8 years, 11 months ago

A great man once said:

"The greatest work you'll ever do is within the walls of your own home."

Another great man once said:

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home".

whosaid 8 years, 11 months ago

silence_dogwood...be careful, I made a comment about truenineties' spelling once and it turned into a witch hunt on here. What is sad, she even made the comment that she had a child with cerebral palsy and she didn't even know how to spell "cerebral palsy". It seems kind of strange to me. Believe me, parents that have children with medical conditions not only know how to spell the name of the condition but become experts on the subject as well.

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

GEB: Too bad you didn't know me when mine were young. It would have changed the stats of your experience. I loved having girls so much -- I did it three times:) Each one was a princess to her father and me.

Daycare has always been a major stress for parents as long as there has been a need for them (daycares that is :) There is no foolproof method for making the determination. I am thankful that my girls were old enough to talk to me about their day before they were in any type of day care. Unfortunately, IP was probably in daycare herself at the time:) thereby eliminating the possibility of taking them to her. I think her theme oriented care is what all children need. If their parents are unable to do so, for whatever reasons, children are fortunate to find someone like IP.

Earlier someone mentioned that some parents do not want to stay home with their child. In that case I think it is doubly important for the child to be in a structured, loving daycare. Sadly, when that parent matures he/she will rue those lost moments. Little treasures that other things cannot match. First steps, first . ., first . ., first .. . I

Those who are fortunate enough to raise their own children usually think the sacrifices are worth it.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 11 months ago

Ceallach, you're right about "the firsts" and how a parent might miss them. When I was watching my friend's son, I NEVER told them that I saw all his firsts. They would come to me excited that they had seen him roll over for the "first" time (I knew he had been doing it for 2 weeks). They were excited when they got to see him take his "first" steps. (I got to see them days earlier!) I got all of his "firsts"...they will never know. I think that those moments are something to be treasured and there is NO WAY that I will ever take that from them.

I really do love this child like he is one of my own. Many days I had to literally peel him off of me to send him home with Mom or Dad. This was heart-wrenching for all of us.

To the good DCP's out there like IP: I commend you! It is hard work that so many parents don't appreciate or even understand. You earn every penny you make (and many of you only make pennies).You have my personal thanks as ALL children need a good, loving place to be. Thank you!

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

sunflower_sue: Kudos to you for not telling the parents. Leaving their children is hard enough, it is very kind of you to let them be part of their child's firsts.

Many of the societal problems we are seeing, which will probably continue to grow, are due to the breakdown of the family unit. Both parents, or a single parent working to survive the economy, children in daycare and pre-schools, and the assault on the family coming from every direction.

I have been heartened to see so many young men stepping up and taking care of their children. Every where you go, what ever the circumstance that made it a necessity, they are taking over the responsibility and from all appearances doing a great job. Kudos to the guys! We have some male posters who are very active in their childrens lives. I feel encouraged every time I read a post where they are off to do something for or with their kids.

Good night all! Have to rest up, I'll have a fun morning tomorrow -- it's my Sunday to work in the nursery (newborn to 1 year olds -- so cute!!) I always look forward to it but you can't go in unrested, those little ones are always busy doing something:)

Ceallach 8 years, 11 months ago

What's wrong Hannibal, eat something that didn't agree with you?

Nikki May 8 years, 11 months ago

I have to note that according to the food program that many providers MUST use, your choices for breakfast MUST be a bread and a fruit or vegetable and milk. They are REQUIRED to feed a bread product. The daycares don't make this up. Until the government lessens the amount of bread required on their "pyramid", your children will be eating a bread at breakfast.

As for transporting children to school in the morning, you are right, Katy few do. I know that Children's Learning Center does and I think that La Petite does. Other than that, I'm not sure. But it's also limited to which schools.