Previous   Next

Do you believe you are adequately insured?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 9, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. I’ve got health, life, auto, home and everything else.”

“Nobody’s adequately insured. I have to pay 20 percent of my hospital bill, and that could be over a million dollars, so I would say no.”

“Probably not. I don’t think that my student health coverage is the greatest, but I have car and life insurance.”

“Yes, because I have health, life, car, dental, workers compensation and an umbrella policy.”

Related stories

Comments

raven 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I am. I have life, car, renters and health. My health is through my employer as is life (but I have my own whole life through a company as well) and auto and renters through the same company. Insurance is not a scam-it is just not cheap. However, you have to pay premiums b/c when something does happen you want the company to have enough money to pay, right? Also, Enoch-trust me there are large penalties for lying to your agent. Be honest it is easiest.

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Heh, heh, heh. My daughter's health insurance is covered by my ex.

nlf78 8 years, 6 months ago

I wish I had more insurance coverage. We have liability on the cars, health insurance through my employer. And while I do have a renters insurance policy...it's not enough if something were to happen. But like most people, we can only have what we can afford. The one thing that I will never go without is health insurance for my daughter. You never know whats going to happen and she is ALWAYS my first priority...

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

Enochville, I agree with you 100 per cent!
this was an amazing tragedy and can be an opportunity for america to shine.

grew up in calif/earthquake country.
I was talking on skype with my friend in Rawalpindi during the second and third shocks; in her home no injuries, just a lot of broken crockery and decorations. outside, pandemonium. they were lucky. the scale of this is huge.

I might also add, that in her university, which is in islamabad, attitudes are rather positive towards the U.S., among profs and students. maybe it seems more positive towards america than at some of our own universities!

I hope that our government is already moving helicopter teams from iraq and afghanistan; they need helicopters so desperately, because whole villages in the mountains disappeared, and the roads which connected them, too.

so, yes, I hope ljw will ask your question!
thanks.

ms_canada 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes, insurance can be a big rip-off but I guess I would not want to be without it. I could do without life insurance but house and especially car, no way. If I hit and killed someone, what the heck would the cost be and to lose my house, yuk.
The rip off comes from those ridiculous deductables. Anything under $500 you get nothing. big deal, put a dent in some part of your can, no payment. A burglar breaks a window, no payment. That is what I don't like about insurance and I bet that is where they make all their money, the gougers!!!!

sharron5rs 8 years, 6 months ago

I have NO insurance. I cant afford it, and I'm scared. The what if's is the scarest I think. If I could afford Ins I would have it.....

Jane 8 years, 6 months ago

Insurance: They bet you don't get sick, you bet you do. Very negative outlook.

Jane 8 years, 6 months ago

I think what we have is adequate, but I may have to remove my kids from the policy because of increasing costs aside from health insurance, ie: housing, food, air conditioning (heat), gasoline, clothing, etc. I can deal with the risk factor...what are the odds one of them will come down with a catastophic illness? Pretty slim, and I usually go with the odds. Thankfully we are a healthy bunch, so I think I'll take them off for a year. If something happens, I will pay, and pay, and pay.

enochville 8 years, 6 months ago

I have agreat idea for tomorrow's "On the Street". "To what extent should the US help Pakistan recover from the recent earthquake?"

I feel that it is vital that we help them as much as possible in as public a way as permitted. This is our big chance to win the hearts of the average Pakistani (we will never win the hearts of the al Qaeda supporters there). Security will be a major issue, due to al Qaeda, but an issue that can be appropriately dealt with. I'll say more tomorrow if "On the Street" uses it.

enochville 8 years, 6 months ago

I know that I'm not adequately insured; I'd carry more if I could afford it. It's risky, but when you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

A side note. Auto insurance places adjust your rates based on what you answer to a series of questions, such as: how far do you drive to work, who is the primary driver of the vehicle, etc. I tell the truth, but it seems very easy to lie to them. They may have statistics on car accidents based on these variables, but why trust people to tell them the truth. If the insured gets in an accident and the insurance company finds out that the insured didn't tell the truth, will they make any adjustments to their payout? This way of doing things seems to unfairly penalize those who tell the truth.

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

i thought our health insurance premiums would've gone down since the lawrence smoking ban. so far, no decrease for me, anyone else see a decrease?

if lawrence outlaws cell phone use while driving, will our auto insurance decrease? ....i predict ZERO decrease, which means the data on cell phone use while driving must be a big fat hairy lie....because in a perfect world the insurance companies would be honest enough to cut us a break if it were a legitimate hazard, right?

lunacydetector 8 years, 6 months ago

whatever you do, do NOT buy whole life insurance. it's a legal rip off.

Mr. John Mumford III, was a rich old man was dying from a rare disease. On his deathbed, he called for his insurance agent, doctor and preacher:

"I trusted each you my entire life. Now I want to give each of you $30,000 cash in an envelope to put in my grave. I want to take it with me."

Mr. Mumford died and at the funeral, each one placed the envelope on top of the man, then he was laid to rest.

On the way from the funeral, in the limo, the doctor confessed "I must tell you gentlemen, I only put $20,000 on top of Mr. Mumford, I wanted buy this new machine that would enable me to diagnose his rare disease and save others. It's what he would have wanted"

then the preacher said: "I have to confess, I only put $10,000 on top of Mr. Mumford. We needed that money to help more homeless, and it's what Mr. Mumford would've wanted"

The insurance agent was angry at both of the men and said: "I can't believe both of you, stealing from a dead man. I wrote Mr. Mumford a check for the full $30,000!"

offtotheright 8 years, 6 months ago

I have the usual, car, home, life. I would have liked to have kept that big policy on the ex...the company I work for wouldn't let me. :-(

even_money 8 years, 6 months ago

Insurance is essentially about betting against oneself. I have the required insurance on the house and car. Beyond that, I cannot afford the enormous premiums.