Previous   Next

Do you agree with the verdict in the Thomas E. Murray murder trial?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 18, 2005

Browse the archives

“Due to the circumstances, time lines and computer information, I was convinced he was guilty. Plus the drive he took and decided to turn back.”

“Yes. I think the prosecutor proved it beyond a reasonable doubt.”

“Yes I do. Wholeheartedly. How much more evidence could they possibly need?”

“I do. You can’t change your story. You just can’t. You either know what you did one day or you don’t.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

Yes. Jealousy and pain from a divorce make people do stupid things.

acg 9 years, 9 months ago

I also have to ask why he freaked you out? He looks like a normal guy to me. Bigger than most, kind of hairy but so what.? We don't all look the same, thankfully. How boring would that world be?

acg 9 years, 9 months ago

oh, yeah, and to actually answer the question, they should totally fry that guy for killing his wife. Come on, get a divorce already. Jeez! I can't believe people resort to murder. I mean, is that really necessary?

esro 9 years, 9 months ago

As someone watching this case from afar, I think his behavior was beyond bizarre in many respects. Obviously, he just snapped one day. I'd like to think thats because of a huge personality flaw and less because a divorce took place, no matter how painful and difficult it might have been.

TheBowman 9 years, 9 months ago

This man is a principality of hell and he deserves whatever fate that awaits him.

Have a happy damnation....

Jayhawk226 9 years, 9 months ago

I felt the worst for Murray, because after all this, he can't even watch his K-State Wildcats compete in the N.I.T....

...oh wait, they didn't get an NIT bid, did they?

Man, this guy must really be feeling it now!

Kristen Murphy 9 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawk226....Good one about K-State...Come on now...Can't you guys think of something new?! Yes we are not that great in basketball...but next year...you guys will SUCK....Too bad KU will not make it to St. Louis...we all know they will bomb....Like usual....

As for Murray....I dunno...That's a tough one...They had some stuff on him...But I think he hired someone to do it....But he'll rot in jail....

Jayhawk226 9 years, 9 months ago

KStater--no hard feelings

But I think you may be right, he may certainly have hired somebody to take care of his business. He was apparently so obsessed with the "perfect crime" he probably figured it could easily be done.

And you're right...he will rot in jail, reading his prized books I'm sure.

wichita_reader 9 years, 9 months ago

I think the jury made the right decision. About the punishment for the crime, which is worse? Putting Mr. Murray down like the sick animal he is, or making Mr. Murray spend the rest of his life in prison, bearing the weight of taking his wife, and his daughter's mother's life, on his heart and soul.

I think Murray had great representation. I don't even think Johnny Cochran could've gotten this guy off. The scary part is how calculated the crime was and how close he was to getting away with it, after all, there was no direct evidence, only damn good circumstantial.

Does anyone else think that highly publicizing criminal trials like this gives would-be criminals an even better recipe for vice? I understand freedom of the press, or at least think I do, but let's see what criminal minds can take from this.

Lesson #1: when confronted with the death of the loved one you just knocked off, ask how the person died, you know, to maintain your veil of innocence. Lesson #2: do your criminal masterminding internet searches at a locale where the general public has internet access. Lesson #3: if you do your scheming on your home computer, destroy it completely when you are finished.

I'm sure there are more, but you get the point. I know that's a somewhat insensitive take on the subject, but by highly publicizing Mr. Murray's trial, Scott Peterson's trial, and the BTK, aren't we just indirectly helping others get away with murder? Oh well, I guess it's probably nothing that isn't already available on the internet.

Carmenilla 9 years, 9 months ago

Surprised and happy about the verdict. I was worried that without hard evidence (they just had circumstantial evidence) they wouldn't convict him. What a horrible thought.....What if he had gotten off and was given full custody of his child? What a nightmare that woud've been.

bleeding_flower 9 years, 9 months ago

Lets the guy fry. He totally deserves it. Not as much as Scott Peterson, but still not everyone can be that lucky. Plus it will save tax payers money from keeping him alive in jail for the next 25 years.

Carmenilla 9 years, 9 months ago

Executions are more costly than life-imprisonment. And its an "easy out" for the convicted person. Let him think about what he did for the rest of his miserable life.

cmmalm 9 years, 9 months ago

I find it disturbing that I took a class from this man, and that he was one of the professors that I liked better than most. But when the news about the murder came out last year, I had to ask myself, "Could he have done it?" And my gut said, "Yes, he could have." There was always something a little "edgy" about him, nice as he usually was--it gave me in the impression I wouldn't want him angry at me.

There was just too much circumstantial evidence. There was no other way to explain it all. However, I hope they don't sentence him to death. For one thing, that would be too easy of a way out. For another, the shred of doubt that remains in this case is enough that I wouldn't want to take the risk of killing an innocent man (although I don't think he is innocent).

What I still wonder is if he had an accomplice. Some of the evidence suggested that, although I don't think the prosecution ever brought it up. I wonder if we will ever know. Will the jailbird sing? Or will he keep his mouth shut in hopes of somehow, someday, getting off?

mrcairo 9 years, 9 months ago

Well without looking at ALL of the evidence first hand I can't really make an intelligent decision. From what I've heard, sure sounds like he's guilty.

Those who call for the death penalty don't understand it. You can't be eligible for the death penalty unless the crime was committed during the commission of another Felony. Robbery, Rape, Extortion, etc. Simpy walking up to another person and killing them will get you life, but not the Death Penalty.

bleeding_flower 9 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't anyone believe in a life or a life. However I didn't think that Kansas had the death penalty.

Carmenilla 9 years, 9 months ago

We don't have the death penalty here in Kansas. More importantly, why is it so necessary to execute someone as a punishment. Don't you think living with what you had done is just? Imagine the hell he's gonna catch from the other inmates too. Let him live so he can suffer longer.

jayhawk16 9 years, 9 months ago

Maybe. I followed the trial completely. I'm glad that I didn't have to be on that jury. I think that he is probably guilty but I have doubts. I wouldn't have been able to find him guilty.

spym00se 9 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else think it's BIZZARE that he wore a GREEN SWEATER on the day of his conviction, ST. PATTY'S DAY!?!?!?!?

simple_simon 9 years, 9 months ago

It says that Amy Savoie is a server.

Does anybody happen to know which restaurant she works at?

Just curious. Thanks.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 9 months ago

Why did that inquring what restaurant whe works at seem creepy to me?

Anybody else...?

ssauble 9 years, 9 months ago

A little contradictory, isn't it?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 9 months ago

Wow, it sounds like everyone of you was actually in the court, listening to the evidence being presented...

As for me, I will just place my faith in the jury having made the right decision. I don't think my occasionally reading an article about the trial gives me, or any of you, enough insight to make an informed statement about this.

Oh, and 'cmmalm'...suuuuuurre you thought those things about him. Hindsights always 20/20, right?

Jay_Z 9 years, 9 months ago

Way to go KU....tonight was an embarrassment. We'll miss you Wayne, Keith, Aaron, and Mike.