Previous   Next

Should fireworks sales in Douglas County be restricted if it is too hot and dry?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 15, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. There would be too many fires in the surrounding area.”

“Yes. The risk of fire is too high for them to allow it. The damage is too big of a liability.”

“I’d say so. It only creates havoc and disturbs the peace. Plus it would increase the workload for the fire/medical, sheriff and police departments.”

“Yes. I’ve seen two houses burn down because of fireworks, so they should definitely restrict them if it is too hot and dry.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely. Too many humans lack self discipline.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

Add in the fact that most people are usually drunk, or drinking, when they light fireworks. Hmm...take one part fireworks, one part dry grass/wood and throw in a little alcohol and you've got a recipe for disaster.

my_Two_cents 9 years, 10 months ago

What a bunch of ole wet socks, My god. can't you remember what it was like to be a kid, As long as we are worried about fires, Hell let's do away with Christmas too. Those dog gone Christmas tree lights start fires too. And Thanksgiving how many houses are burned by cooking the Turkey in oil. And we could do away with new years day, think of all the lives you would save from drunk drivers. You have to let people have some fun, If not it all becomes work, work, work.

KsTwister 9 years, 10 months ago

You would think everyone in Douglas County is a moron and needs to be protected from themselves. It just amazes me that so many senior citizens survived their youth in Kansas. Does anyone really know what a garden hose is used for? Thank God I grew up on a farm and learned how to enjoy our holidays and be safe at the same time like many others. Gee Whiz to think what we could of done with the hay barn !!! It is a good thing we were all intelligent and never hurt anything.

craigers 9 years, 10 months ago

Thank you my_Two_cents, I thought we were going to have a day of people trying to deprive others of just having a good time. Kids love fireworks and so do bigger kids like me. I still enjoying shooting off artilery shells and i have never had a fire problem. If you are going to shoot them around your home, just water the yard a little bit and even spray your shingles if you want to in order to make everything a little more fire resistant. Fireworks are so much fun and we should never take that away. I say lift the fireworks ban that is currently in effect.

Liberty 9 years, 10 months ago

No. If you never teach a child that fire is too hot to touch, they will never learn how to properly respect it. Therefore the child will always need the parents to keep them from hurting themselves. The same is true with the public.

We are way too comfortable depending on government to save us from everything that can possibly do harm or hurt us. It doesn't mean that everyone is a basket case needing "peace and safety" and needs the government to force us to be safe with a police state.

I'm sure that the police would much rather spend their time performing their real duties instead of violating people's rights with the enforcement of an unconstitutional fireworks ban.

We truly live in a sick society that thinks government needs to save us from ourselves.

Lulu 9 years, 10 months ago

Fireworks should be banned from sea to shining sea.

They make noise pollution, air pollution and dispense litter everywhere. They could promote aggressive behavior in young males which could lead to the use of handguns, violence, pyromania and more.

Ban them completely. They are essentially anti-American anyway.

italianprincess 9 years, 10 months ago

Ever since the ban started I have been taking my kids to a friends house in another town anyway, so this wouldn't effect us at all. We have a blast out there and have been since the ban started.

Have you noticed how much things are changing as if we are going backwards here? Ban this and ban that it seems now. I'm just waiting to see what they plan to ban next. Anyone have any guesses here?

bleeding_flower 9 years, 10 months ago

lulu: What the hell are you talking about. Fireworks are good harmless fun. I know alot of people that can use fireworks and not think about wanting to use guns and create senseless violence. So what if they are a bit loud, as long as they regulate when they can be used. Which they already do. Plus the whole reason behind the 4th of July is celebrating America. Me personally I have watched a firework display fall over and blow up in my father's face. He had to get skin grafts on his face to fix the scarring, but I still love them. Some freak things happen. They can happen with anything. Sure I won't set them off myself. But I love to watch them.

acg 9 years, 10 months ago

Don't we vote for the people that make the laws? What was the turnout for the recent commission primaries? 15%? We are the voices people and it's high time we stood up and told our "leaders" enough was enough! I will agree with Lulu (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little) that fireworks are noisy and dirty and cause litter, but when we were kids, mom made up pick all the trash up before we called it a night and she wouldn't let us light rolls of black cats (which is highly annoying) Whatever happened to that? If people acted a little more responsibly then maybe the gov't wouldn't feel like we needed to be lorded over like children. But I do have to say to Lulu, fireworks promotes aggressive behavior in young males? WTH is the matter with you, seriously?

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 10 months ago

We are becoming a bunch of parnoid little ninny's in this country. Scared of our own shadows. We can't even celebrate holidays without the goverment issueing all kinds of dire warnings about what might go wrong. The holiday turkey might give you food poisioning. If you eat some of that cookie dough while making those holiday cookies you might just croak. And good heavens and for peet sakes don't go out on New Years Eve or St. Patricks day. You might get in a drunk driving accident. If you light a sparkler on 4th of July you will end up burning your house and possibly your whole neighborhood down. I think we all need to get a grip and quit letting Da Man ruin all our fun.

muteboy13 9 years, 10 months ago

Lulu- I am glad you said something. I always thought that all the violent males in the world developed anger and agression through fireworks. Blackcats and Snakes are vectors of crime, hate, disgust, handgun use, etc. They are the root of all evil. cough...cough...bs. What day does the firework cart open on K-10. Fireworks are the root of all that is fun during the summer. I have seen childrens eyes light up in awe and adults romance eachother underneath the light of self-lit mortars. Parents/guardians need to make sure children are well instructed on the dangers and risks of fireworks. That's it. Happy 4th of July everyone.

lunacydetector 9 years, 10 months ago

that's funny consumer1. i didn't know the Marxists in power right now were being controlled by the real estate brokers - but i just got it! they are in power to make housing unaffordable so the real estate brokers can keep getting richer selling all of the overpriced houses!

that is brilliant! so selling one $280,000 house is just as easy as selling a $140,000 house. it would take two $140,000 houses to make the kind of money on just selling one $280,000 house. magnificent analysis consumer1.

keep our leaders in power and watch the prices keep skyrocketing! the real winners will be the real estate brokers, all at our expense, under the guise of growing smarter or having ZERO growth. who pays for these increases? the taxpayers. expensive housing never pays for itself, unless of course you are a real estate broker.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey consumer 1 how many educated idiots does it take to change a little bulb?

muteboy13 9 years, 10 months ago

What happened to the firework argument? Take your battle to another chatroom lunatic #1 and lunatic #2.

Fergs34 9 years, 10 months ago

I think fireworks should be legal. If you don't like them or should they bother you, that's tough. There are many things others do that bother me. Of course I'm not going to the City Commission and require that mopeds be eliminated or that dirty guitar players stop soliciting me on Mass Street.

kshaff03 9 years, 10 months ago

Douglas County dry? People here have never seen a drought. Drive 4 hours west of here and you will find dry. Never stopped us from blowing anything we could find to kingdom come.

It's nice to see some traditionalists in this town. I can't wait to leave this tree hugging hippie community. Pretty soon everyone here will be home schooled because its too dangerous to drive to school.

I don't have a problem with a fireworks ban if there is a burn ban. What I don't understand is why there would ever be a burn ban in Douglas County.

How about we have some parents take responsiblity for their kids instead of relying on government to do it for them.

We live in the land of the free, not the land of the oppressed.

-mE

muteboy13 9 years, 10 months ago

The river is wet and can be defined as the fifth and final card of my winning royal flush. The same royal flush that is going to win me enough money to further my investment in fireworks this spring/summer. On another note, the "mute" in my name is reflective of the skills I have to silence the ignorant. No harm intendend consumer. I am just interested in reading reflections regarding the firework question.

lunacydetector 9 years, 10 months ago

what article do you write of? perhaps the jw should have a link to the story when they have an 'on the street' question.

happygolucky 9 years, 10 months ago

Sorry I Missed this one. Lulu - I have some bunker busters for you. Might make you feel better. Seems like you had a crappy childhood, or need the touch of a man, or some nice plastic in your case.

I go to KC and buy all my pyro needs. I don't care if they're baned, I still blow the hell out of stuff anyway. In fact, friends and family say that fireworks are the only thing that makes me smile like a kid. Just thinking about in makes me giggle sometimes. I think I'm going to get so firecrackers out of the cabnet and head to the creek now. Look out frogs, here I come.