Previous   Next

Do you think they should keep the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 10, 2005

Browse the archives

“Oh definitely, but I’m biased. I think with the new arena coming, it will be at the same level of quality they can get in other cities.”

“Yes. I think the overall attendance will be higher than if they take it down south. I think there is a higher attraction for people to come here. Even schools from Colorado and Texas will come.”

“Yes it should stay here, because basketball originated here.”

“Keep the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City because this is a basketball lovin’ town. That’s all I have to say.”

Comments

Lulu 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't care for basketball. It is all about nothing! Basketball is a competitive sport and the universities rely on it to make big money all at the expense of the health of 99% of the players. How many players go MBA? 1%?.

The AD makes more than I can dream. The coaches make more than I can dream. Are any of them single? Please let me know. Money does NOT matter!

In a democratically pig society money rules. If the universities were run democratically they would pay the players for their sacrifice of this entertainment labeled a game. Actually I like them not getting paid. It is a fairer system NOT paying them.

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

Hi guys and gals down there in central USA. I hope you all get your wish about the tournament . And I hope you are all proud to be Americans. Something I want to say. I am so very, very proud to be a Canadian this day. I wonder if you folks way down there have heard about the terrible quadruple murder that we had here last week. Four of our beautiful young RCMP constables cut down by the rifle fire of a troubled, evil man who was filled with hate. I just concluded watching a memorial service for them that took place here in my city. Through my tears I saw a sea of bright red uniforms of the Mounties intersperced by the navy of other forces. Ten thousand in all, plus five thousand civilians. There were officers from the USA in the crowd also. Along with my sadness, I also have a great deal of anger. Anger because guns are so readily available to any person no matter how much hatred they harbour in there hearts.
All of you who hold to the beliefs of the NRA, shame on you, shame on you and more shame on you. Sorry to take it out on you, but that shows you the depth of my feelings. I'm not having a very good day.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 1 month ago

What the heck is up with the questions lately?! They suck! ...that's about all I have to say.

Topside 9 years, 1 month ago

Brad_Brad made my point exactly. It is attended badly anywhere else. It is tradition here and people love it.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 1 month ago

I live in Dallas/Ft Worth, and let me tell you, last year when they had the Big XII tournament down here, it was pathetic. No one showed, with the exception of Texas Longhorn fans for their team's sessions. Otherwise, the arena was well over half empty. No one in Texas cares about any sport outside of football. I'm serious. Turn on sports talk radio down here in mid March and they're talking about the Dallas Cowboys. KC makes more sense for two reasons - 1) people care more about college hoops there, and 2) it is much closer to being the geographic center of the Big XII than Dallas Texas is. Keep the tourney in KC.

Topside 9 years, 1 month ago

HighScore...if KU has such a great home court advantage how come they haven't won the tourney since '99?

Topside 9 years, 1 month ago

The tournament should definitely stay in KC. No other city supports the Big 12 Tourney like KC (Found any tickets lately?). That is why it was the permanant home of the Tourney for many years.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

Your figure out as this:

Kansas is in the middle of the US, so it kinda makes it easier I think for all to travel to the center then to travel persay from CA to maybe FL.

Kansas City seems like the right place for it to be for all who want to go and watch.

Does this make sense?

HighScore 9 years, 1 month ago

Keeping the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City is about as ridiculous as keeping the NCAA Tournament Final Four in St. Louis every year. What makes people in Kansas City think that they should be the only city to deserve the 20 million dollar revenue that this tournament generates? Aside from the revenue, it is unfair that KU has a home-court advantage every time the tournament is in KC. My feeling is that the Big 12 Tournament should rotate so that every year it is located in a major city near a different school in the league. I can't remember a time when the tournament has even been held in Iowa or Colorado.

mert1717 9 years, 1 month ago

I think we have to look at what will be best for the players and the fans. I belive with the new stadium coming in it offers a lot to both. Not many areas have the package KC is putting forward. I think it would be hard for KC to convince the Big 12 to stay with out having the actual stadium complete.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and sure it should stay here. Of course. . . there probably aren't many people who are going to say no, that it should move somewhere else farther away.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Aack! Crohan, don't take that away from us!! It's all we've gooooooottttttt!!!! I'm meeeelllttiiiinnnnngggggg. . . .

/shrivel

crohan1978 9 years, 1 month ago

Question, since when did basketball originate in KC? Good one Marcela. Basketball was born in Springfield, MA by Dr. Naismith, not at KU.