Previous   Next

Do you plan to vote in the April 5 election?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on March 4, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. I plan to vote for the City Commission, state constitutional amendment and school finance. Those seem to be the hot-button topics right now.”

“I do not. I don’t know a whole lot about the candidates, so I would be an uninformed voter.”

“Actually, I haven’t researched the candidates or the issues yet, but I plan to vote when the time comes. I’ll do my homework before I make my decision.”

“Yes, because my last name is Grieb, and it would be ridiculous not to, given the circumstances.”

Comments

mrcairo 10 years, 4 months ago

I vote for Denise Spidle, best looking gal in the State. Hey Denise, Call me !

Jayhawk226 10 years, 4 months ago

Wow...I'm very much against a constitutional amendment that would forbid a gay civil union...

...but you won't hear me call anybody a Christian pig.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely. I will not support the constitutional amendment.

I will support Shauner/Carpenter/Hack

I will support the technology portion of the school bond. I would like to support replacement of South Junior High but not the entire bond.

Nikki May 10 years, 4 months ago

I just want to vote for the school bond. Have you been to South? It's a bit scary! I did vote against it last time because of the school closings. I think many people did. But, anyway, go tour South Jr. High if you are undecided.

craigers 10 years, 4 months ago

I will be voting on the ammendment and the commission. I think that there will be a few counties overall that will not support the marriage ammendment, but I think Kansas will pass it.

craigers 10 years, 4 months ago

As a matter of fact, I will support the ammendment.

Huckleberry 10 years, 4 months ago

That a way to present a well thought out argument, goatdog. That ought to bring tons of people to your side.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 4 months ago

Vote yourself some 23rd and 31st relief:

As you are returning from the KC/JOCO area watch for the 1057 interchange(1900rd/1057) and get off.

Go south to 458(1000rd).

Turn right/west to 59 Hwy. Turn right on 59Hwy/Iowa to the bridge to nowhere(10-12 minutes) to 31st and Iowa(12-15 minutes) at 55 mph.

Far more relaxing and scenic. 1057 interchange is also bridge number 1057.

Enjoy

Now back to the voting issue.

lunacydetector 10 years, 4 months ago

i will NOT vote for schauner/carpenter because i want affordable housing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 23rd street is the epitome of Smart Growth - congested and businesses are crammed into little areas!

this election is in the "B-A-G" -'B'racciano / 'A'myx / 'G'rieb

Punkin 10 years, 4 months ago

I will vote for Schauner and Carpenter because I believe that they represent accountable and open government.

To elect the "chambocrats" (Hack, Amyx, Grieb, et. al.) would be to turn back the clock to the dark ages when City meetings were held during the day so people couldn't attend, and decisions were made in secret, and profited only the bankers and developers, not the community as a whole. Back in the day, nothing was truly public, except the myriad burdens of bad planning. The recent accessibility of local government can be directly attributed to the progressives.

Change may seem slow but it is definately coming; I want to see Schauner and Carpenter continue those change.

Get a yard sign, kick in some cash, talk to your friends. Support Carpenter and Schauner! Vote progressive!

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell (Edward Abby).

Richard Heckler 10 years, 4 months ago

The 23rd Steet mess was provided by the growth machine long before Smart Growth came on the scene. I don't know of anyone running on a smart growth platform however that or something very similar would improve that situation.

Some folks who are so against sound planning must love to pay high taxes. What I read tells me that we need less new housing and more light industrial activity for better paying jobs as well as reducing the tax load on existing residential. Let's use the work force that currently resides in Lawrence. Lawrence can handle any work force demand as it stands right now. Bring on the high end jobs.

Among those 12,000 commuters must be enough qualified workers to fill any high tech requirements not to mention several executive positions.

Anybody but Carpenter/Schauner/Hack...maybe Amyx will take us back to square one. We need thinkers not growth machine puppets.

Tax abatements(we'll get to make up the difference) to just about anyone and low paying jobs. The bankers and developers will take their money and run meanwhile our taxes will continue to rise a.k.a. corporate welfare.

Instead of me helping to finance(tax abatement) some corporate entity I say the real estate magnates and developers should reduce the cost of property and services comparable to the value of a 10 year abatement.