Previous   Next

What is your reaction to the Michael Jackson verdict? (What is your favorite Michael Jackson song?)

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2005

Browse the archives

“I hope he didn’t do it. I think if I were him, the smart thing to do would be to stay away from kids, but I doubt he will do that. (“Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”)”

“I think he’s innocent. I don’t think he ever molested any children. I think he’s fascinated by children because he never had a childhood of his own. (“Rock With You”)”

“I do not care. I haven’t been following it at all. The man just needs help. (“Rock With You”)4”

“I didn’t think he would be guilty, or convicted at least. I still think he did it.(“The Way You Make Me Feel”)”

Related story

Comments

jonas 9 years, 6 months ago

Of course, now that he's off, there will be many people who say it was just his money, as they had prejudged him to be guilty before this case even came to light. I only paid as much attention to this case as what I happened to come across flipping channels or websites, but it was far too questionable, with no real proof, to convict, as far as I was concerned.

happygolucky 9 years, 6 months ago

jonas-Hell yeah it was his money. Just as O.J. did in his case. He did it, bought the right people off, now he's free. Kinda makes me wish I was a rich man in So Cal. Then I too could get away with murder and the like. I have lost all faith in the court system.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

Con't

Moving on -- So, let's discuss our values which will direct our policies. I do value life. I do not feel that human beings who can live if left to their own devices should have those devices taken away from them so that they die. This implies that I am against abortion as a rule and against euthinasia. However, since fertilized eggs in a petri dish will not survive if let to their own devices nor will people who have been on life support for a long time, I have nothing against stem cell research or taking people off life support. This does not mean that I believe we should allow starving people to die or people who have suffered a heart attack to die. As you will see, my belief in helping people in their pursuit of happiness would cause me to want to help them.

I do value liberty. I feel people of sound mind should be free to follow the dictates of their own conscious provided that it does not impede others from doing the same. Although I believe homosexual acts are contrary to the laws of God, unless someone can demostrate to me how gay marriage infringes on the rights of others, my value of liberty causes me to permit it. And we can be at libety to preach against the practice. Many religious people such as myself want others to live righteously, but we need to promote that through teaching and good use of the media, not legislate it if by so doing it prevents people from living according to their beliefs. What if they were in the majority and legislated that we could not have heterosexual marriages? As I have defined it, my value in liberty would not permit me to allow someone to commit suicide because they are not of sound mind.

I do value the pursuit of happiness. Inasmuch as others are striving for happiness in ways that don't violate my conscience, I believe in helping them reach their goals. People should have rights to property and the ability to provide for themselves financially. We should promote programs that help students get their education, help the unemployed find work, build highways for commerce, rehabilitate offenders and substance abusers, etc. We need to balance the budget so that we have the resources to help those in need. I have no problem with raising taxes as long as the money isn't wasted. It might do us well to have a moderate surplus for use in times of emergency or war.

I believe in defending this nation. I believe that it is our duty to protect the lives of our population through diplomacy and the media and through the military if it comes to that. We should never be the aggressor. I feel that the war in Iraq would have been justified if their government truly were aiding al Qaeda in attacking us. But, with decisions this large and with consequences so severe of possibly angering Arabs and causing innocent people to lose their lives, we would need rock solid evidence like "photos of Cuan missiles". I think we went in with insufficient evidence, but we need to stay for now.

lunacydetector 9 years, 6 months ago

i think michael jackson is a pedophile. i think the prosecutor had to pursue the allegations because they were being made by a kid and because the prosecutor had michael jackson in the early '90's - but couldn't pursue it because jackson paid off the kid's family.

michael jackson is a weirdo. he is 40 something and sleeps with young boys, all innocent and sweet, of course.

if you think he is innocent, if you have children, i wonder how many of you would let your little boys stay over at michael's house for a "sleepover?"

i don't have a favorite jackson song, though i remember that song about a rat called, "Ben."

neopolss 9 years, 6 months ago

This trial was a prosecution disaster. The credibility was shot with the mother on the stand, and left the jury with so many doubts that no conviction could be reached. If I was the attorney general, I would be worried about a very angry public since the state had to foot the bill for this. Money does buy a better defense, but in the end it usually comes down to the character of the witnesses and testimonies. It just wasn't there.

As for Michael, who never had a childhood, he's now been living his childhood for thirty some odd years, much longer than any of us. It's time to grow up and get wiser to the surroundings. He's off on these charges, but honestly, a forty year-old man should not be in a bed with kids that aren't even his! That's like calling someone an a*hle to their face and then complaining because they punched you.

happygolucky 9 years, 6 months ago

Way offtotheright-He paid parents, maybe jury members, who knows. That pervert did it this time, last time, and will keep doing it until he runs out of money. It's amazing what the rich and famous can get away with in Cali. If he was John Q. Blackman in Kansas, He'd have been lynched by now. After getting off the first time by paying out the nose to the kids parents to drop the charges, he'd never made it out of court a free man this time. I bet you Believe O.J. was innocent too. WAKE UP!!!!! This whole Jackson never had a childhood crap is just that, CRAP.

Even if MJ would have been convicted, he'd just got some lame sentence. Fines and some time in some Club Fed somewhere. Jump on me all you want, but I still think he did it. As far as a favorite song........I wouldn't give his music the time of day, and after this, I wouldn't have any thing to do with any thing he's working on, no matter how noble the cause.

craigers 9 years, 6 months ago

I would have to say that my gut reaction is that he did it. Maybe it is the fact he did have little boys stay in his bed and claim that it was innocent. That is just disturbing alone and so what if the parents didn't have a lot of credibility. That doesn't release Jackson from guilt. Bad parents should not give Jackson free reign to love on little kids like he wants to. However, if the defense thought that Jackson was going to be found guilty then they would have pursued a defense of insanity or a bad childhood. Since Jackson was a victim, he probably would have got off for insanity or some junk like that. I like the parody version of a Michael Jackson song title "I Didn't Cop a Feel". The lyrics flow with the music and beat of "The Way You Make Me Feel." He is probably talking about kids in both of these songs. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

I really don't care about Jackson anymore. I said what I think should be done when we were asked this question last week about whether he was guilty or not.

So, if anyone cares to, please respond to this: What do you think about the rumors that Sen. Brownback may run for President? Or, Hillary Clinton for that matter?

Redneckgal 9 years, 6 months ago

I guess the whole thing raises more questions than answers. Are they going to do something to protect his kids now? I hope so. And I hope they don't give them back to their real Moms because they must have a screw lose too. What about the mom of the accuser? I think she shows a total lack of judgement and needs her kids taken away. I always liked Thriller but now he is so weird I don't even like listening to that. I think the only career option open to him now is making scary movies. He sure as heck wouldn't need any special make-up for it.

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

Enochville: I believe Brownback is setting the stage for a run for Pres. he has made many trips to Iowa and New Hampshire.

I think Hillary likes to be in the spotlight, she never says "yes" she is going to run. I don't think she will, I think the speculation though is great publicity for her.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

If Michael Jackson is guilty of anything it is most certainly poor judgement. Can you think of anyone in modern times who has messed up more than this poor man? The old cliche holds true in his case, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones" He opens himself to so much bad light. We could say, "glad it's over" but I don't think he will fade quietly into the background. He is a publicity hound. He thrives on it. What I don't understand is that his family seems not to give him sound advice or perhaps they do and he just ignores it. Pretty stupid. Favourite song? Not my kind of music at all. A word to Italian Princess - couldn't post yesterday, just want to say, I applaud your gracious way of handling neopolss. You kept your cool and I sure would like to meet your son. He sounds like the very finest of young men. Some could take a lesson from his resolve. Give him a big hug from ms canada. I think he must have a great mom.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

The verdict? Who FREAKIN' CARES?!?! Its outcome will have exactly no impact on any of our lives whatsoever. Well. . . I take that back. Perhaps now middle-aged men who make millions of dollars entertaining others will feel slightly more inclined to sleep with pubescent boys.

The man is a freak. Whether or not any of his behavior was illegal (something the prosecution apparently failed to prove), he still has no right to expect anyone to treat him like a "normal" person. If anyone refuses to grow up, it's called mental illness. Even if he doesn't deserve jail time, he certainly needs treatment.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 6 months ago

You raise a good question ms. canada what about his family? Wouldn't you think they would do something about him or with him? Wonder if they let their kids go to Uncle Michael's house? If he were my brother I think I would have to do something about him before he gets his butt killed by a angry parent.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

Original_Bob and raven: Who would you prefer to lead this country instead, and why? If no person comes to mind, describe your ideal candidate.

These questions are open to everyone.

Confrontation 9 years, 6 months ago

I think all of these famous people believe they can get away with anything they do, which is why they do it. Look at Kobe Bryant, O.J., Robert Black, and R. Kelly. The Kobe Bryant case made me sick with all the "accidental" release of the victim's personal info. If R. Kelly avoids prison, with all the video evidence of his pedophilia, then I think there will be even more proof that wealth gives you a major advantage in the courts. Maybe it is witness intimidation, threats towards victims, or awestruck jurors.

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

Enochville: I really didn't say how I felt about these two running, I just don't think they will. It is a hard question to say who should run for Pres. Maybe in a few more years after he has gained some more political experience I think Barac Obama (sp?) might be a good candidate. However, I would have to learn more about him since he is so new in the political world. What do you think? Anyone?

Hillary: To extreme. I am glad to see her as a woman so involved in politics. She is very famous and very popular. But as Pres. I don't see it.

Brownback: To extreme. Again, we just need someone who is not soooo far to one extreme or the other. I admire Brownback's values, etc. but I think a moderate should be in the White House. As well, I don't feel nationally Brownback has enough name recognition. Hillary obviously does not have that problem!!

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB: I see your point, however you cannot hold it against Obama that he did not have a good candidate to run against. No, that was not much of a race in Illinois, Keyes was barely in it. However, I did say that I will have to watch Obama over the next several years and get a feel for what I think about his political views. I too like John McCain, however I don't agree with his many of his political views either. If it were my ideal candidate, I would not pick him. But, as you said ideal is hard for anyone not just politicians to live up to, he might be a good choice for Pres.

Larry 9 years, 6 months ago

I haven't paid enough attention to know what evidence has been presented. However, I can't believe any parent would let their child stay at the man's house due to the previous charges. Regardless - the fact that Jackson was sleeping in the same bed as children causes plenty of suspicion. This excuse of "he didn't have a childhood and that is why he has an interest in being around children" is utterly unbelievable. Let's see - so does that mean that the couple that has never been able to conceive a child has an excuse to start sleeping with children. Maybe some of these child molesters should start using that as an excuse for sleeping with children. I don't care if the man was hung upside down, feed rats and beaten as a child. It doesn't give him a reason to have children in his bedroom. What would you do if you found out that your son/daughter was in the bedroom of a grown man?

neopolss 9 years, 6 months ago

Does it matter if a Democrat or Republican wins? Both major parties have lost touch with the public, and your government does not cater to its citizens, it caters to its paying customers. Say what you will, I'm sure it's not popular opinion. Terrorists are the least of our worries.

BunE 9 years, 6 months ago

Well, here it is, everybody is an armchair judge eh? MJ was found not guilty because the prosecution picked a couple of liars to put up on the hot seat.

Also, I get the impression that no one teaches trial law to prosecuters in California. AWFUL.

Santorum. ewwwwwww frothy.

italianprincess 9 years, 6 months ago

Not Guilty is the verdict here. I can't do anything to change it, but do think that he needs major therapy.

The parents who allowed their children to stay over after the first hype may need some type of therapy also.

I would vote for Obama if he ran. I believe he would make a great Prez.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

fangorn is right - the man is a freak and by all standards of decency quite ill. And as to who cares, there apparently are a lot of people who care, his fans are certainly demonstrative enough. But the the question begs to be asked, what the heck does that say about our society? We seem to love to put such freaks on pedestals.
I, for one, have never put too much reliability on public opinion. Too many individuals that we have raised to impossible heights have proven to have their downfalls. We seem to completely ignore obvious lack of moral rectitude in our public figures from Mr. Clinton to the great Princess Diana. Is it not true but sad? Anything goes is the attitude and we accept it. How can we expect our young people to conduct their lives in morally decent ways if such base public figures are so idealized? I ask.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

MJ...who cares?

Brownback? Run for president?...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh, I think I just wet myself.

Ditto w/ Ms Canada applauding Ital Princess for sticking up for her son. He sounds like someone I would hire!

To all you men out there: never come between a woman and her child...unless, of course, you are Michael Jackson. I still maintain those parents should be in jail!

(Disclaimer): this is in no way intended to offend men or male parents. I LOVE MEN!!!!!!! And there are many Dad's out there who would defend a child, like they should. Again, I LOVE MEN! MEN ROCK! Love you guys! ('cept for Brownback)

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree that there is a definate parenting issue here (with MJ's trial). No a parent should not let their small children sleep with a grown man. However, because a parent is stupid and let this go on, does not excuse molestation. IF, he is guilty, which I believe he is, then he still has not right to violate a child for his own sick plessures.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

Tom_Foolery: I stand corrected. You are right that his. . . tendencies may cause others to look at us oddly. I have a 7-year-old daughter, and when I take her and her friends to the pool or to a restaurant I often have the same concerns you mentioned. But with Jackson's activities, I'll now have to be concerned when my son gets older and it's him and his friends I take out.

wichita_reader 9 years, 6 months ago

Ditto to those posting that good parents wouldn't let their children share a bed with Michael Jackson; however, parents looking for a multi-million dollar settlement are a totally different story.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

Here is how I feel about the issues of our time. I don't know of any presidential candidate who would best represent me. As there are strong feelings about each of these issues on this board, I hope that you will hear me out because we may have common ground on some issues. I classify myself as a conservative/liberal hybrid.

I agree with the framers of the constitution that the role of government should be "to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity".

In saying that, I do have a few caveats. I do not believe in complete freedom for everyone to do as they please. That is anarchy and leads to a society of survival of the fittest and strongest, which means repression of the weak. I do not think the framers meant that either when they spoke of the "blessings of liberty". They knew that laws must be created to protect the rights of others. But, what should be the basis of these laws? If we are going to restrict freedom, we really need to think through the process and be careful and deliberate. We need to bring into the light our values and prejudices which guide our thinking so that we can evaluate them because they form the criteria from which we will judge the soundness of a law we create.

We all have inherited values often without conscious evaluation from our families and culture and made them a part of us. We must acknowledge that if we had been raised in a different place or time that we might have different values based on different scripture or philosophy, etc. I say this to relax the idea that some of us have that our values are Correct and those that differ are Incorrect. Although I do not believe in "moral relativism" we must confess that we would be just as confident in opposing views had they been consistant with our upbringing.

Some have decried recent legislation as being wrong because it is based on the morals of some religion and thus violates the separation of church and state. I see no "sin" in this theoretically (as long as it is not infringing on another's rights which is a separate issue), because all law is based on the values of it's creators. Those values may come legitimently from religion or philosophy. If we took the complaintants view to the extreme, we'd have to declare laws against murder and robbery as unconstitutional because they were based on religious values.

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

Enochville: I agree with most of your posts, however I have to know if a baby could not survive on its own or if the mothers life was in danger does that sway your ideas on abortion? Is it a black and white issue? (Not stating my own opinions, just asking)?

wichita_reader 9 years, 6 months ago

I fail to see how Michael Jackson's actions are going to cause male posters to be looked at as pedophiles when playing with their children, cousins, etc., or taking them out to dinner.

People pass judgment on others all the time. It's human nature, which existed long before Michael Jackson's actions.

When my wife and I go out to dinner with another couple, it doesn't make us swingers. When I have lunch with male colleagues or friends, it doesn't make us homosexual. And this summer when I might take my nephews to a baseball game or other event, it doesn't make me a pedophile.

Maybe those people looking at you want kids of their own, or maybe they're just checking you out, or maybe even worse they're pedophiles checking your kids out. Who knows what they're thinking? But unless you walk in wearing a funny looking suit followed by a huge entourage and someone holding an umbrella over your head, sit down at your table and order a bottle of wine with one wine glass and four kids cups, I bet Michael Jackson, and you possibly being a pedophile, is the last thing on their mind.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

Sorry for the long post. That was supposed to be Cuban missiles not "Cuan".

raven: You know from my previous posts with you my views on abortion. They haven't changed; I just didn't want to go into the details as I was making my case. I feel strongly against abortion; however, I believe it is permitted when the pregnancy is the result of incest or rape, when the life or health of the mother is judged by competent medical authority to be in serious jeopardy, or when the fetus is known to have severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth. But even these circumstances do not automatically justify an abortion. Those who face such circumstances should consult trusted others and the Lord through prayer.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

My lands. The tabloids and world news have beaten Michael Jackson to a bloody pulp over the past fifteen years or so.

Rumors and allegations of the molestation incidents abound. The prosecution thought that they could slap a family of proven con artists up on the stand and display a few cheap pieces of evidence, and their case would just flow on the Giant Polluted Muddy River That Is Public Opinion.

YES he's eccentric. Spending more money than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes on a giant fantasyland, umpteen trips to the surgeon's office - his is the most literal metamorphoses I've ever seen!

Perhaps he's guilty. But that prosecution team sucked at proving it.

I guess the Accuser's Family will have to push the younger one down an escalator at Nordstrom to cover court costs.

chevygal 9 years, 6 months ago

its great they found michael not guilty! i mean come on, the parents are the ones who are at fault, i don't think the kids can go to neverland on their own now people! the parents had to have SOME say in it, and its not like they didn't kno michael has been in court B4 for this kinda thing....n id have to say thriller is my fav song

GDMinistries 9 years, 6 months ago

I don't know if this man did what he has been accused of or not. I do know that when Jesus returns he will have to answer for this if he is guilty of child abuse. I also know that his accusers will also have to answer if they were falsely accusing him. You see it doesn't really matter what the courts of this world decide, what does matter is our standing before GOD.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

GDMinistries, what an absolute cop-out. One_More_Bob is right, that statement has no weight in the court of law.

What's your favorite Michael Jackson song, by the way? Mine is Thriller because the video is super scary! =D

simple_simon 9 years, 6 months ago

All this talk about Michael Jackson....and the REALLY BIG STORY yesterday (in my opinion) was that actress Katie Holmes is taking up Scientology!!---She's going to be a Scientologist, just like her "older man"/main-squeeze Tom Cruise! Oh, wow! Cool, huh?......Or is it "kewl"?? I don't know. I prefer "cool" because I'm "old school". I think "kewl" is for retards!

Oh, and I see actor Sean Penn is over in Iran now, once again playing the part of "big-headed/full-of-himself/I'm not just some dumb actor" activist with regads to the upcoming Iranian election and Iran's treatment of women. Hey, if that's what he wants to do with his free time, good for him! But I must say, I just saw a rather recent photo of him puffing away on yet another cancer stick. And it occured to me that the only time I've ever seen Sean Penn without a cigarette in his mouth (over the last 20 years or so) is when he's at the Academy Awards ceremony! Ummm...okay. So the one-time "Mister Madonna" is what?, 44 years old, or around there? Yes? Okay. Well, I've got 20 dollars that says Sean Penn will be dead from lung cancer by age 60. (If not before then!) What do you say?

neopolss 9 years, 6 months ago

If we took the complaintants view to the extreme, we'd have to declare laws against murder and robbery as unconstitutional because they were based on religious values. - enochville

You've confused law and morality, and have combined the two. Society does not need to embrace morality in order to maintain law/order. Laws against robbery and murder still retain in their entirety as they are not based on morality so much as they can be based on an individual's right to life and liberty. The idea of law is not to create moral legislation, but to uphold and defend the right of citizens from deprivation. Laws are based off of the rights granted to its citizens, and should only be for that purpose. Once a law becomes an agenda, or only benefits a select group of people, it ceases to be a law, and should be ignored, boycotted, and challenged at every turn.

I don't mean to quarrel with you, it is simply something I wanted to put out for everyone to think about. Your post was very well written.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

neopolss: I whole heartly agree with you that as you said, "The idea of law is not to create moral legislation, but to uphold and defend the right of citizens from deprivation. "

I agree that the arguments for laws against murder and robbery do not have to be based on religion. Atheists can ascribe to those laws based on values of respect for others, "live and let live", and other such ideologies. The point that I was trying to make, but did not state clearly, is values originating from religion should not be discarded or devalued simply because their proponents are religious and first adopted those values through their religion. There are some people who misinterpret "separation of church and state" as laws need to be free of religious values. My point is all law is based on values (liberal, conservative, religious, philosophical, etc.) We can not be free of that fact. Even your sentence, "Laws are based off of the rights granted to its citizens, and should only be for that purpose," is the statement of a value itself. What I was trying to say is if we did away with all laws that reflected values, we would do away with all laws.

Curtis Martell 9 years, 6 months ago

To me, a guilty or not guilty verdict in this trial tells me nothing. The truth about what actually happened, what the motives of the mother were, if Mr Pop King is a homosexual-pedophile, are what interest me. Of course, we'll never know. In the absence of the truth, the rest of this discussion, and all the media coverage, is a HUGE waste of time.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

Watch your step, Extreme. You may end up with a multimillion dollar settlement if you stage it correctly!

Did you read about that guy who won around 1.75 million dollars for a settlement from Winnebago when he set the cruise control to 70 mph and went the the back to make a sandwich because he thought the RV's cruise control was something of an autopilot system? What a bonehead!

kansas 9 years, 6 months ago

GreenEyedBlues, please tell me that story didn't happen!!!! Please tell me you made that one up!! I mean, nobody could be that stupid!!!!.................Could they?

neopolss 9 years, 6 months ago

What I was trying to say is if we did away with all laws that reflected values, we would do away with all laws. -enochville

==========================================

And that would just be madness indeed. Your point is a good one, and values should be evaluated. We must always be careful though that the values that are to be incorporated as law lean more towards our basis of government, and not towards the will of the people.

Those who claim majority rule will notice that our government system was purposely designed so that the majority never trumps the rights of the minority (at least not forever anyway). Popular opinion changes, as does majority opinion. It was a very wise way to devise government. Not all law is popular, but if it holds true to the right granted by our founders, we should adhere.

Anyway, I'm rambling at the moment. MJ is free - congrats to a good defense.

enochville 9 years, 6 months ago

neopolss: It is clear that one of your top ranking values is freedom (for lack of a better word to summarize the protection of individual rights). Freedom or liberty is very important to me as well. It upsets me to see the majority drown out the minority. The thing that I want to draw attention to is that freedom cannot be the only value; it leads to anarchy. Sometimes values compete. It it useful discuss them because ultimately majority does rule.

Take abortion for example. It can be framed as the freedom of the woman to not carry the pregnancy to term versus the freedom of the fetus to live. Some conservatives might say, "No one has a right to kill;" some liberals might say, "the fertilized egg is just a group of cells - it doesn't have rights". Values and judgment calls come into play all along the way. In this situation, what does it mean (as you say), "to be careful though that the values that are to be incorporated as law lean more towards our basis of government, and not towards the will of the people". Either side can be seen as protecting the liberties of the minority. What decides it ultimately is how many people view it your way (share your values) versus how many don't. The majority wins.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

True story, Kansas!

Mr Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City. In November 2000 Mr Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

I feel duped! I guess I'm the bonehead then.

raven 9 years, 6 months ago

GEB: You are not a bonehead. I had heard that too and believed it. Yes, I do put rational thought into what I believe, rationally, someone out there is crazy enough to do that. People do things all the time I can't believe.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

That's true.

Some people wear those copper magnetic bracelets because they swear it improves circulation. Even if that were the case, I'd be more concerned with the bracelet leaving an icky green ring on my wrist.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 6 months ago

Were ANY of you in the friggin' courtroom? Did any of you hear the testimony that was given? If not, shut the hell up because you don't know what you're talking about. Especially you "happygolucky". The jury found him innocent and that is that. Move on.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

If there was a pun intended Bob, it was a good one! Creating a pun that doesn't make you cringe or gag is a tremendous accomplishment.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

That reminds me of a really goofy spoof of "Edelweiss" called "Anal Warts". Long story... copying some of the lyrics would certainly warrant a suggestion for removal, if this message itself doesn't get deleted!

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

Yay, puns! You just gotta love a language you can have so much fun with.

OMB: You beat me to the punch on the snopes.com link. I did a quick search on that site to see if the "RV cruise control" story was listed.

GEB: I've always more than half believed the RV myth myself (until about 10 minutes ago). I mean, if a person can spill hot coffee on herself and win a lawsuit against McDonald's, anything is possible.

"If you don't like people using their wealth for their own interests, change the system (i.e., capitalism)...."

Thanks for a great laugh, benny! Since you can't seriously be suggesting that corruption doesn't exist in non-capitalist systems, your statement was good for a chuckle.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 6 months ago

Neither Brownback nor Clinton can win... at least not on my vote.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

I was watching CNN during supper (I know, I know, I didn't get to pick the channel). Michael Jackson's "spiritual advisor" was being interviewed. He grossly misrepresented Luke 18 regarding "receiving the kingdom of God as a child" and stated that MJ has "become like a child". So now mental illness equals spirituality.

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

fangorn - was that on Larry King or not? He comes on here in 20 minutes. I would like to see that. Anyway, I will watch ol' Larry if I can stomach it for a while.

GDMinistries 9 years, 6 months ago

The-Oringinal-Bob

I know what you are saying, and do hope that MJ never has a chance to harm another child. The statement I want to get across is that he will still have to answer for his actions in the end. This is not a cop out, it is the truth for all of us. We have all sinned and all fall short of the glory of GOD.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

ms_canada: No, it was on some show that seemed to be more entertainment than news. Which I know doesn't narrow it down much on CNN or any other news network out there right now. I think it may have been Jackson's attorney that was going to be on Larry King. I haven't watched it. I'm just taking a break from studying to check on the board.

Oh! what I wouldn't give for an actual hard news channel somewhere that carried only real news from around the globe, gave economic analysis by actual economists, and never ever mentioned sports figures or entertainers unless they are running for office (and then not any more than any other candidate).

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

Yes - it was Mesereu on with Larry King and to hear him you would think that MJ is the best thing since sliced bread. But, it is true what GD ministries above says, there is always the higher court to answer to. I don't know if he is a child molester and I do care. I worked in a day care for a year and one of my wee charges was abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered. She was such a tiny little thing, when I think of what he did to that tiny body, I just feel sick to my stomach. In my mind there is nothing worse in this world than an adult abusing a small child. I used to sit beside that little girl and rub her back until she fell asleep at nap time. (It's a trick we used to get the kids to sleep) I can still see her little back. So sad, so sad. If I feel that way, imagine what her mother must feel.
That whole MJ business is so bizarre. Hard to figure out why a grown man would exhibit such bizarre behavior. Is he so starved for attention? Did he not get enough on the stage? Certainly more than most other humans. And where is Carmenilla these days?

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

GDMinistries: Welcome to the board. I appreciated your comments and agree with your intent. As a strong child advocate, I have been struggling all day to get past my disappointment that Michael will be free to continue his lifestyle. Some of my fellow posters have made excellent points that have also served to remind me whose child I am, and that has helps a lot!

Fangorn: Good luck with those studies.

ms_canada: Jay Leno is ripping and tearing tonight, amusing though. Since we're in central time I'm not sure when you get him. His monologue is pretty good tonight. Busy, busy day, gotta go.

Here's hoping all y'all have a good night.

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

ms_canada: Part of Jay's monologue is a clip from Mesereu's interview, with MJ cavorting in the background. Enough from me -- this time I am really signing off :)