Previous   Next

What was your favorite summer job?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on June 12, 2005

Browse the archives

“Coaching volleyball clinics. I just love the sport.”

“Working at Haskell for property and supply. The people and my boss were really cool. It was a fun atmosphere to work in.”

“Working at the Velvet Freeze ice cream store, because all we did was play around and eat ice cream. We only had a couple customers per hour.”

“I was a computer instructor. It was my first summer job, and it was an excellent experience.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

Being a child....with no job for the summer. Those were the best times.

Beck Wilson 9 years, 7 months ago

I worked at a book bindery one summer. Most of the time was spent collating a science textbook for some tiny school in Colorado, but I also got pretty good at clipping covers.

At the afternoon break, the boss would break out a beer and basically just watch the rest of us work until the end of the day. That was ... interesting.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

Similar experience as offtotheright. I lived in the Fraser River Valley of B.C. where berry patches and hop fields are in abundance. They are mostly worked by students and migrants. First came the strawberries (brutal on the back and knees) then the bean fields, raspberries and hops. Extremely hard work for a teen-ager who sat in a class room all winter, but loads of money to be make. And we had fun, fun, fun. There were boys there and we were away from home. LOL. I did the raspberries until one day, while bending down, I looked up and there was a snake hanging a few inches from my face. They didn't see me for dust and I never went back to raspberries.

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

My favorite summer job was as a roofer. I'm sure that sounds odd, and I didn't really enjoy getting up at 5am. But the hard work got me in fantastic shape and I've never had a darker tan in my life.

offtotheright: Depending on whether your job was early summer or mid-summer, it sounds like you were detassling. Did you cut the yellow tassle off the top of the stalks of corn? Just about every teenager in central Nebraska enters the workforce with this job. . . . I really hated detassling!

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of corn - my daddy grew up in Iowa and thrived on corn in it's many manifestations, cornmeal mush, cornbread, cornmeal griddle cakes, corn muffins and consequently so did my sister and I. Tell me, do you people in Kansas and Nebraska eat a lot of corn. My husband wonders if it is really good. If so, he is heading down that way. He is nuts about corn on the cob. Eats two ears everyday for his lunch.

Fangorn 9 years, 7 months ago

TOB: Read your note at the end of yesterday. Left you a note also.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

TOB - when driving to Kamloops, did you drive the Fraser canyon route through Lillooet or did you take the newer Coquihalla Hwy. 5 through Merritt? Both are spectacular, but the canyon route is awesome. I am so pleased to hear that someone from down south has travelled through my country. Coincidence - my dear daddy used to trout fish up that way on Lac Le Jeune.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like you went up the canyon. Some call it God's country. Thanks for the web site. I will have to show my husband. Maybe he will take me fishing, well, he can fish and I'll read and eat trout.

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

Working at the soda fountain/sandwich bar at Woolworth's 5 & 10 cent store in downtown Lawrence. I believe Chipotle's and maybe Kinko's are now in that space. If I had anything left of my pay after visiting the Mode O Day dress shop, it went to the makeup counter at Woolworths (with a 10% discount:)

Two of my girls had heard about the good money to be made de-tassling corn, they begged and pleaded, swore they would rather do that than apply to fast food stores, etc. We told them if they started the job, they had to finish it. Well they did finish, but not without wailing and gnashing of teeth! The paydays recharged their commitment to stay the course and work until they were finished. However, the next spring they were applying for jobs before school was out to get in on the first wave of summer employment, and never asked to work in the fields again. They preferred the air conditioned comfort of Rax Roast Beef and Taco John's (not to mention the meal benefits :)

Woolworth's is gone, Mode O Day is gone, Rax is gone, but Taco John's rages on!!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 7 months ago

My favorite summer job was when I worked as a camp counselor at a summer camp in the Berkshire mountains. I was a swim instructor, so I hung out by the pool or the lake all day. The area around the camp was filled with other camps so at night all the counselors would go to a bar called "The Depot". It was an old train station where we filled the night's with plenty of drunkeness and exploration of the opposite sex. It was kind of like Spring Break for three months...

sunflower_sue 9 years, 7 months ago

Never had a "Summer" job. I joined the workforce at 15 and worked year round. (Slinging chicken was my first "real" job). I remember when I was 9 yrs old I used to get up at 4:30 on a schoolday morning and help my brother throw papers. He paid me something like 5 bucks a week. Thought I was rich. I always baby-sat early on (before 15). All through college I worked full time as a florist or in a greenhouse somewhere.

BUT, my fovorite all time summer job is now when I get to stay at home and entertain my kids. That's fun!

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Sunflower Sue: That was almost exactly what I was going to say. I've always just had jobs, since 16. Incidentally, I think I enjoy the job I'm doing this summer (driving the city transit busses) more than any job I've had previously. The drawback is waking up at 4:45, but time moves by at a pretty rapid clip, and you're sort of outside, but not exactly.

simple_simon 9 years, 7 months ago

Sunflower Sue, your first real job was "slinging chicken"? My first job was "slinging yogurt"! I think I started doing that around age 12....in the shower, as I recall. :O!!

chevygal 9 years, 7 months ago

simple_simon....who hired u?? n did u get payed?? just wonderin!