Previous   Next

What is your favorite thing about the county fair?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 31, 2005

Browse the archives

“Putting the kids on the rides, and picking up change at the bottom of the Ferris wheel.”

“Hanging out with my kids.”

“The animals. I get to see some that I don’t get to see very often.”

“Anything to do with cars, like derbies or car shows.”

Related story

Comments

chevygal 8 years, 8 months ago

hmm...all the wranglers!....wrangler butts drive me NUTZ!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 8 months ago

I've never been to the fair in Lawrence.

How many times has a 10th planet been discovered? It seem like this happens once every ecouple of years.

one_more_bob 8 years, 8 months ago

& a caulking good time was had by all.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

How 'bout that NASA?

Sent the guys up there with caulking guns this time.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

2003-UB313.

I like "Pluto" better.

one_more_bob 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey, with all the cloning & other exotic research going on, there may come a day when mammoth shearing will be back on the bill. BTW, has anyone else heard about a 10th planet being discovered? There's a story over on cnn.

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

OMB - you sound like an old man crying in his beard. Just be grateful for the good times you had and the good memories that you have of the mammoths. That must have been intensely exciting to watch.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

I've heard baby dinosaurs were rather like baby corn.

(Sorry, but that brings to mind Tom Hanks in the movie "Big".)

one_more_bob 8 years, 8 months ago

Back when I was a youngster, we'd go to the county fair to watch the mammoth shearing contests. Loved the deep fried Archaeopteryx nuggets! Mmm, mmm, good.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm sorry, ms_c. SWEETHEART! I'm in kind of a hurry because I'm fixing lunch in anticipation of the kids waking up any time soon. If I don't have something nutritious for them to eat, they will raid the breakfast bars and other snacks. They would likely very much visiting Alberta some day. Just as soon as I can get them to stop fighting over the iPod :)

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

e_m - I thought about that, I think it stems from the fact that we are all so very proud of our festival. and there is a very good organization group headed my an Irish man and his 700+ helpers, my daughter, Diane, one of them. Security is excellent. Bags are searched at the 2 entry gates, no alcohol allowed, no glass bottles. If one requires alcohol, there are the beer gardens, with vodka coolers and wine. The festival has a great reputation with performers from all over the world. they are treated like royalty. Mind you, as one sits on the hillside, the odour of pot may be noticed from time to time. but I think the main thing is the pride we feel in our festival. I have only missed one fest in 24 years and that was because of a trip to Europe with my sister. We get some great artists. This year the closing acts on Sunday nite are John Prine and Alison Kraus and Union Station. Emmylou Harris advises all her friends, "If you get an invitation to Ed. Folk Fest, for heaven's sake, go!!!" Plus the site of the fest on the hillside is great for viewing. As soon as it gets dark, everyone lites candles and if you look up at the hill, it is an awesome sight. 10,000+ candles. I just love it. At the end of 4 days, I am a very happy, exhausted camper. I hope you don't mind my bragging, you did ask!!

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry--Edmonton, Alberta.

I need to get up to Canada more often! My bad.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

By the way, ms_c. I surfed to the Vancouver B.C. website you posted on the 29th and found the following image:

That's a lot of people in attendance! Everyone seems so well behaved. No nudity or anything. What's up with that?

ms_canada 8 years, 8 months ago

My favourite thing at the fair is to watch the young people groom and exhibit their animals. It brings back memories of my early teen years exhibiting calves at our fair in Vancouver, B.C. We would billett in a school and eat at the fair grounds and we had a real blast of a time for a week away from home on the farm. When not hanging out in the barns with the other kids, we would go to the fair grounds and enjoy the rides, etc. It was just great.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh, Jack was there too. Can you say hijack?

i_tching 8 years, 8 months ago

Going home and falling asleep afterwards.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

If I remember correctly, relish was a blonde and ketchup was the redhead ;)

Gootsie 8 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm. Only one comment. Everyone must be at the fair.

E_M - relish AND ketchup? You must have been in heaven.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 8 months ago

That lady with the tattoos 'all' over. Her funnel cakes are tremendous. Of course, her favorite is a hot corn dog and I love it when she squeezes those little packets of mustard. She had ketchup and relish last year too.