Previous   Next

What do you think fuels the rivalry between the University of Missouri and Kansas University?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W 23rd St. on July 9, 2005

Browse the archives

“The history of Quantrill’s raiders was probably the start of it. Once you get a good rivalry going, it just kind of snowballs.”

“Probably just the proximity. That’s my best guess, unless you want to go really far back to the Civil War.”

“Tradition, I suppose. Just because it’s always been there. It’s something to rely on.”

“It probably stems back to the Civil War, I would think. I’m not sure that’s where it came from, but it makes it seem more legitimate.”

Related story

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure about the rivalry on a universal level, but my personal vendetta against Missouri lies in the stupid name and the gaudy school colors! MIZZOU? It sounds so stupid. Who thought of that? They probably wear yellow rubber shoes everytime Missouri plays because they think they're trendy.

MapMadeMind 9 years, 5 months ago

First of the day! Woo-hoo!

The answer: Missourians are jealous.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

KUGBHKU, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh, STOP! My sides hurt. You poor convoluted soul! You sound a little catty...MEOW! HISS, HISS, SPIT....

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

I think it probably goes back to Civil War era. I'm from MO but graduated KU so I'm (naturally) a KU fan.

I'm in a mixed marriage as I married one of those"Purple Wildcatters" (sounds a bit like Mad Hatters, doesn't it?) from out west. One of our children is Crimson and blue and the other turned out purple. I had to take anti-rejection shots while carrying them (you know, since they both have some purple blood in their systems). I love them anyway.

Oh yeah, MU..........Why do all the trees in KS lean east?

Linux chick, Happy birthday and don't forget to whipe that wetness from behind your ears!:0P

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

TOB, Thanks for answering my 8:38 question. ;0)

lunacydetector 9 years, 5 months ago

i think something that reinforced the rivalry was storming Norm Stewart (former Missouri basketball coach) who recruited literal street thugs to play on his team. they always played dirty, especially against KU. why would i call them street thugs? they looked like criminals, acted like criminals -some got in trouble with the law, and one even shot himself in the foot. some of their players also did stupid things. i remember one player ran himself over with his own car - how do you do that?

...but i think it really dates back to the free state / slave state thing.

happyone 9 years, 5 months ago

It goes back to the Kansas "Jayhawkers" against the Missouri " Ruffians" civil war stuff would be my guess.

sorry I misssed out on yesterdays board you guys had a lot of fun. I logged out to run some errands and it wouldn't let me log back in.

happyone 9 years, 5 months ago

aahh someone else that knows my sorrow... Born in Missouri Live in Lawrence. I love purple (the color but fun to say the cats too) he loves crimson and blue kids divided down the middle

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 5 months ago

Uh, Lunacy...I hate to point this out but KU has had at least one thug on our basketball team (need I rehash the whole J.R. Gidden's thing?) and don't even get me started on the football team. Does "yo quiero taco bell?" conjure any images? If you will recall, one of the players was so...um...hungry that he decided to climb in through the drive-thru window only to get stuck in the window.

As for my own opinion, I would say that it dates back to the whole "free state" vs. "slave state" arguments. Then again, if you want to simplify the whole thing - cats and birds have never been known for getting along.

kansas 9 years, 5 months ago

Hasn't this question--or a close facsimile of this question--been asked before? Seems so to me!

I don't know what "fuels the rivalry" between Kansas and Missouri. Maybe Missourians are just jealous that Kansans have more teeth than they do?? There are a lot of meth users in Missouri and there is an epidemic of "meth mouth" in Missouri which causes tooth decay--and eventually, tooth loss. If anyone here has never heard of "meth mouth", well all I can say is do a Google search on it. It's positively gross!! It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end!! (It made mine do that!!)

KU_Grad_But_Hates_KU 9 years, 5 months ago

The rivalry stems from the fact that KU doesn't know that it sucks and that MU knows KU sucks. Therefore, KU's feeble attempt at non-suckiness is matched in spirit only by MU's constant reminder that they are superior in every way.

The true question should be: "How can KU make itself a more respected insitution?"

The answer? Try getting some morals and a decent logo.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 5 months ago

The University of Misery has two rivals, of which it is constantly iferior to: KU and Univ. of Illinois.

I feel bad for them really, they make such a big deal of trying to prove they can stand at the same level and par as both institutions, yet fail on virtually all attempts.

And imagine if you were associated with the university of misery?

• Basketball players beating g/f's and going to jail
  • Chancellor involved in recruiting athletes and bringing them to "honkie" sorority houses
  • Enron CEO was a Mizzou grad, or contributor, I believe
  • Can't even name a basketball arena after a person without there being such a scandal involved
  • Basketball ball team scrutinized for recruiting violations, yet cannot even find a consisent presence in the NCAA tourney and settle for an NIT invite

Man, I'm so glad I don't have to call myself a Tiger alum. I just may have to demand my tuition money back if I were.

Eat these words and forever remember them Mizzou: Rock Chalk Jayhawk and I-L-L-I-N-I!!!!!

penguin 9 years, 5 months ago

ok so our athletes are not perfect, but not even John Randle or JR Giddens could live up to their thug lifestyle. Need I say Ricky Clemons.

However to ease the pain of living in Columbia, MO voters there did vote to ease penalties on marijuana posession....guess they need to be high to deal with that level of pain.

just to address the mascot: All in all KU's mascot represents the valiant fighters who laid down their lives to keep this state great....but Tigers...come on there must be like a 1000 schools from elementary schools to universities with that lame mascot.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 5 months ago

TOB, Thank you so much for your heartfelt concern with my "wild child". I still harbor hope that it's not too late to save her, but I'm afraid she's always been a Daddy's girl. SIGH!

OMB, I hate to make any serious statements today, but you are absolutely right. What was received was also given. Such an UGLY UGLY time in history. And, (back then) you HAD to pick a side. There was no such thing as "I just want to stay out of it." NASTY & MEAN, it was!

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Proximity provides the environment. I mean, Nebraska and Oklahoma had a great rivalry going in the 1970s, but we had Kansas as a sort of buffer zone.

History provides the fuel. We can always look back and say, "Remember the [fill in atrocity committed in the name of freedom/slavery here] when those so-and-so's burned down [fill in relevant city name here]!"

Jealousy provides the igniting spark. Let's face it: Missouri's program will always be inferior to KU's.

linux_chick 9 years, 5 months ago

thanx for the happy birthday, sunflower.

The rivalry between KU and MU is brutal. Obviously, I have a bias, but I am disappointed by MU's fans.

Our marching band won't travel there anymore because some Mizzou fans pitched glass bottles at them as they were leaving the field.

Yeah. I like to see Mizzou lose. Big.

One of the greatest experiences watching our football games was the away game last year between KU and Missouri and listening to Mizzou fans boo their own team at halftime with a score of 21-0, us.

That was great.

lunacydetector 9 years, 5 months ago

hong kong phooey, yes i do recall the "chalupa" incident at taco bell. is it true when the cops showed up all they saw was some guy's big ss hanging out the drive thru window yelling, ' gimme my chalupa dammit!"? i think the fire department had to use the jaws of life the expand the window so he could get his big btt unstuck.

everytime i read your name i go back to my childhood and that song for the cartoon hong kong phooey.

i never forgot them, so here's the lyrics:

Hong kong phooey, number one super guy. Hong kong phooey, quicker than the human eye. Oh, hes got style, a groovy smile, a bite that just won't stop. When the going gets rough, hes super tough With the hong kong phooey chop. Hong kong phooey, number one super guy, Hong kong phooey, oh he's quicker than the human eye. hom chicky bomb chicky dong diddly dong diddly dong dong bow wow wow (pick it up pick it up pick it up) Repeat

you think that cartoon would be regarded racist today?