Previous   Next

What is your favorite thing about living in Kansas?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on January 29, 2005

Browse the archives

“Summer. I don’t like the winters here. I like to do gardening and paint outdoors.”

“The Jayhawks, for sure. I’m a big sports fan, and I like to watch and support my teams.”

“The change in seasons. From spring to fall is my favorite because of the calmness of the weather.”

“Lawrence. It has really diverse culture. It’s God’s little gift to Kansas.”

Comments

spongiform 9 years, 10 months ago

No tsunami can reach me here in Kansas I know that.

kansas 9 years, 10 months ago

Calmness of the weather?? I don't know Ed (pictured above), isn't the time between Spring and Fall when very large sections of Kansas have been known to experience a tornado or two??

Personally, I like the parks we have here in Kansas. Wilson Lake, Toronto Lake, Cedar Bluff are all nice places to go camping, hiking, and fishing.--And there many other places for outdoor enthusiasts, as well.

One thing I don't like about Kansas is the shortage of dentists we have, and how supposedly that's only going to get worse in the coming years. That's just great! That means in about another decade or so, someone visiting this part of the country won't be able to tell Kansans from Missourians!!! There will be as many toothless types living here in Kansas as there are living in Missouri!!!! Yikes!!

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 10 months ago

Kansas Jayhawk Basketball is on top of the list. But I do like the summer evenings. No matter how hot it is...heat is better than cold and who the heck ordered this snow???

remember_username 9 years, 10 months ago

"Calmness of the weather"? Ok...me I'm for the great snow skiing in winter and the surfing in summer.

Seriously, it's the people! Even though there is much razzing back and forth on this site. People in KS are more polite and kind to each other than many other states I've been to. You'll see a vehicle with a Pro-life or Bush-Chaney sticker pull out a mud stuck vehicle with a Kerry-Edwards or Pro-choice sticker on it, without a harsh word or request for money. The hippies crossing the US in the 60's used to say that the farmers in KS would shake their heads at the long hair, but they'd feed you and send you on your way with a little extra food.

Jayhawkers may not have the prettiest state in the nation, but they do have a lot to be proud of.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm an overly-proud Chicago native...so I find myself muttering under my breath at the many things that infuriate me about certain aspects of Kansas and some of its people.

But having said that, I have found that I am so much more at peace here in the Heartland than I am with the hustle-and-bustle of the Chicago commuters and annoying suburbanites.

Kansas has a very quaint, slower-paced attitude about everything--all in all, the quality of life is high in Kansas.

And the history here....ah, endless chapters and pictures that could be inserted into a history book.

Happy Birthday Kansas!

Fangorn 9 years, 10 months ago

I agree completely with remember_username. So much interaction takes place here without rancor. Nebraska, where I grew up (or at least got older), is very much the same way. If you're stuck at the side of the road, someone will stop to help you. I've been in too many other parts of the country where I just had to help myself.