Previous   Next

When was the last time you donated blood or plasma?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 18, 2005

Browse the archives

“I don’t because I’m afraid of needles. I had to get a shot today, and I had to listen to my iPod, close my eyes and have my mom hold my hand.”

“Never, not once. No opportunity has ever presented itself, and I guess I have never gone looking for one.”

“I tried to a year ago, but they wouldn’t let me because I passed out. I guess I didn’t have enough to eat that day or something.”

“Oh I don’t know, it’s been a long time. I guess it was before I went to Venezuela. I was told that I had to wait three years after traveling to a foreign country.”

Comments

Reader 9 years, 11 months ago

Here In This Town? At Least Once A Month. "When I Go To Pay My Utility Bills"!

craigers 9 years, 11 months ago

I second that Reader!!! The last time I donated blood was a few months ago at work, and they forgot to draw extra blood to test and so they had to stab me in the other arm with another needle. And I volunteered for this treatment?

Bud Fuller 9 years, 11 months ago

Strange you have this question as I made a post about this subject on Readers Reaction about 10 days ago. Piggy and wife gave a pint each on January 9, 2005. The post generated a lot of interesting excuses some very valid, but when the reason was "I had to watch the game" well I guess we know ME ME ME is the priority. Actually, they had TV available to watch while the blood flowed into the baggy and in waiting room.

jonas 9 years, 11 months ago

Piggy: Is an act that helps others invalidated if the primary reason for acting is a selfish one? If so, consider that if helping others didn't make people feel good or give them some form of satisfaction, then there would be no altruism at all.

When I smoked I used plasma donation to pay for my cigarette addiction. Twice a week, $40 dollars a week in total, and I smoked about a pack and a half to two packs a day, so it added up about the same. When I quit smoking (or, to be honest, when I quit smoking regularly, one of my rewards to myself was to not go there anymore. That was about 3 years ago.

It sucked because I have enormous veins that are easy to find, so they trained the newbies on me.

donsalsbury 9 years, 11 months ago

My excuse, justified or not:

My veins are invisible, and they roll. So when I get blood taken for testing, I have to go to the hospital to find a phlebotomist with enough experience to stick me right. The trouble is I'm always hopeful that this time it'll be okay, so I let the person at the clinic/doctor's office stick me in three different places before I remember.

My line of reasoning is thus: If my veins are difficult enough to pierce properly, and they're mangled a few times for each successful stick, I need to take care of them so that when I need to be stuck again they'll be as good as possible. I realize I should probably hydrate myself better, which would help. Anyway, this is either wise or the zenith of selfishness.

pistachio 9 years, 11 months ago

Donsalsbury, I can top your excuse. I am currently ineligible to donate because I spent an extensive amount of time in the UK in the 1980's. This puts me at greater risk for Mad Cow Disease, which experts believe cannot be passed via transfusion. The CDC's position is better safe than sorry, so no donating for me.

Bud Fuller 9 years, 11 months ago

I said there were very valid reasons for not giving blood. What I found amusing is the excuse of to busy watching the game on TV. As one poster already mention, who would want to give blood if they had to make a pin cushion out of your arm to find a vein.

I can't go along with the unselfish statement as I don't think acts of kindness are invalidated by some direct or indirect monetary return. The end results are the same and if everyone is happy so much the better.

jonas 9 years, 11 months ago

Pigfarmer: My view as well.

Pistacio: My real excuse is what I wrote, but my backup is that I just came back from the Dominican Republic, which puts me at extremely high risk for malaria. Isn't it fun to think that you MAY have an extremely dangerous disease but not really?

Redneckgal 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't do very well with blood needles or doctors. I can just see going in there and passing out . It'd probably be safer for me to write out a check to the Red Cross or something.

Grundoon Luna 9 years, 11 months ago

Not to worry, Redneckgirl, you are laying down when you donate so you'd already be there. Of course, you may need blinders so you don't see others in differing stages of donating which may give you the heebie-jeebies. Faniting in public, though, is no fun at all. I've done it several times and it made me feel more vulnerable than I am comfortable with. I probably haven't donated plasma since '97. The one time I signed up at my employer's blood drive I was on prescription pain killers for an injury so they told me "no." I keep saying that I'll do it next time each time a blood drive comes up. That next time is now just a couple of weeks away. I can't say I'm chicken of needles because I have "donated" plamsa dozens of times when I was a starving student, or just starving in general. Now that times are good and others are in need, I should just do the damn thing! So what if I don't get the $20 or so the plamsa "donors" do! Isnt' it an oxy moron to be "paid" for "donating" plasma?

Kyle Rohde 9 years, 11 months ago

The opportunity has never presented itself? Apparently Mr. Blancho was living under a rock during post 9/11 when there were blood donation stations everywhere. Or maybe he was too busy account executiveizing to donate. rolling my eyes what a lazy idiot.

to answer the question, i donate every 6 weeks to the community blood center.